Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

QuoProQuid posted:

It is probably ideal to differentiate between favorability and voter preference. While Bernie increased his favorability, a good portion of that is probably from Clinton supporters over his email comment who have no interest in defection.

As the media coverage reflected in the run-up to the debate, Clinton needs to make some major miscalculation or error to drain her support before Sanders seems viable. A strong debate performance itself is not enough to win him the nomination.

True, but there is more to it than the horse race. Obama had establishment backing from Senator Ted Kennedy, which allowed him to be a credible threat to Clinton, for example. A popular Senator with a national audience has a lot of influence that can be put behind future candidates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Every so often they hold a recreation of the Shootout in the OK Corral in Tombstone. This time they accidentally used real bullets instead of blanks.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://www.motherjones.com/mixed-media/2015/10/martin-shkreli-broken-wrist-bernie-sanders the shkreli thing just keeps getting better, now he appears to have posted a stock photo of a wrist fracture after claiming he was so mad about the sanders thing that he broke his wrist punching a wall

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Oh, the best part about the White Power guy? He's a Bernout who complains on Twitter and Facebook about racist conservatives :shepface:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

this_is_hard posted:

I'm related to Andrew Johnson. :doh:

I'm related to Jimmy Carter :smug:

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh, the best part about the White Power guy? He's a Bernout who complains on Twitter and Facebook about racist conservatives :shepface:

loving reddit Bernie supporters.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

gently caress that guy.

e: the drug guy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Captain America has been black for a while, but he has a new enemy. Fox and Friends.

quote:

“The [Supreme Serpent] is an American who has misgivings about unlimited illegal immigration and the costs associated with it,” Carlson said. “And that, according to the comic book, is evil.”

“Right, so these serpents are stopping people from coming over the border and Captain America is saying, ‘That’s not going to happen on my watch, I’m Captain America,'” Morris agreed. “An interesting discussion around the idea of [immigrants bringing] disease and rapists and everything else.”

Carlson declared that Marvel was portraying average Americans as “snake-handling bigots and they need to be held in place or else they’ll turn this country into Nazi Germany. It’s like, the people who run this country, a lot of them actually believe that. I live near them. They really think that.”

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

Captain America has been black for a while, but he has a new enemy. Fox and Friends.

jesus, they have become captain planet villains, or x-men villains. the fact they play serpent off as some good white american just trying make his little voice heard is funny.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 19, 2015

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

quote:

“Right, so these serpents are stopping people from coming over the border and Captain America is saying, ‘That’s not going to happen on my watch, I’m Captain America,'” Morris agreed. “An interesting discussion around the idea of [immigrants bringing] disease and rapists and everything else.”

Yes, it is interesting to discuss the fact that you are a racist who sees immigrants as diseased rapists and not human beings. How could Captain America possibly have a problem with racists? :allears:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lex Luthor is a job creator.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

:smith:

Talk about some restraint from her husband, I know I'd have a hard time not beating someone half to death if they'd done something like that to my SO.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Seriously. That they got that guy restrained and captured basically unhurt is impressive enough without the emotional factor of seeing the guy face slam your wife in front of your kid.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Thump! posted:

:smith:

Talk about some restraint from her husband, I know I'd have a hard time not beating someone half to death if they'd done something like that to my SO.

He probably understood that if he escalated anything he would probably end up being shot on sight by the police. Wonder why.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

zoux posted:

Those guys have been around since at least the 70's. I read a Defenders comic from then where the Sons of the Serpent were trying to burn down all the slums in NYC to force black people into the suburbs and start a race war.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Luigi Thirty posted:

Haha, so what is this? A False-Flag?

Edit: They're deleted. They must be covering this up!

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 19, 2015

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

TheQat posted:

http://www.motherjones.com/mixed-media/2015/10/martin-shkreli-broken-wrist-bernie-sanders the shkreli thing just keeps getting better, now he appears to have posted a stock photo of a wrist fracture after claiming he was so mad about the sanders thing that he broke his wrist punching a wall

Wait so he bitches, saying how do you treat a wrist fracture without going to the hospital, then..... posts an x-ray to prove he has a wrist fracture.

Well, now we know why he's charging 30,000 dollars a month for that drug that used to cost 45, he obviously needs the cash to operate his in-home radiology lab.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dr. Tough posted:

Those guys have been around since at least the 70's. I read a Defenders comic from then where the Sons of the Serpent were trying to burn down all the slums in NYC to force black people into the suburbs and start a race war.

Yeah they are literal white supremacists, but it's instructive that Fox sees these types of people as "regular Americans".

Accretionist posted:

Haha, so what is this? A False-Flag?

Edit: They're deleted. They must be covering this up!

Far be it from me to defend Bernie supporters, but let's not lose sight of the fact that the dude was drunk as poo poo.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

pathetic little tramp posted:

Wait so he bitches, saying how do you treat a wrist fracture without going to the hospital, then..... posts an x-ray to prove he has a wrist fracture.

Well, now we know why he's charging 30,000 dollars a month for that drug that used to cost 45, he obviously needs the cash to operate his in-home radiology lab.

A stock photo of a wrist fracture.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pathetic little tramp posted:

He actually faked it.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

TheQat posted:

I have to wonder if this guy is a false flag or something holy poo poo he needs a knuckle sandwich.

Edit: I quoted the wrong link. This guy needs a knuckle sandwich but not as bad as drug gouge man.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 19, 2015

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Maybe he was beating her up ironically?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

SumYungGui posted:

A stock photo of a wrist fracture.

So he faked this whole thing. To what stupid end though, sympathy tweets?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Vic's Matt Iglesias on why we are primed for a thousand years of GOP rule. (Hint: DWS isn't investing in running Blue Dogs in state legislature races)

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 19, 2015

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

In Virginia we recently had a Blue Dog quit his seat in order to allow the Republicans control in exchange for his daughter's judicial spot and I assume some other kickbacks. Blue Dogs are a cancer and I'm glad the Tea Party ate them.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

zoux posted:

He actually faked it.

Even if it was real, what kind of lame-o breaks his wrist? I'm a goony nerd and I don't break my weak nerd bones punching walls.(I'm also not rich so my walls aren't diamond/gold)

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

TheQat posted:

So is this guy legitimately mentally ill, or just really retarded?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

fool_of_sound posted:

Peter principle + having more money than God.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Phone posted:

Peter principle + having more money than God.

Plus the bad luck that this time a media firestorm happened. The low-demand drug trick is apparently a common thing, it's not even the first time this guy specifically has done it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Vic's Matt Iglesias on why we are primed for a thousand years of GOP rule. (Hint: DWS isn't investing in running Blue Dogs in state legislature races)

Matt Iglasias has appeared from the far off year of 2004 to tell us stuff we've known for a decade.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

The latter is a subset of the former. He's most likely a sociopath and also may well be negatively affected by all the attention he's been receiving lately, see: that Kony 2012 guy whose sudden fame made him go a little odd and bellow naked in the street.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Isn't it the case that gerrymandering is a significant barrier to winning state-level offices even if the Democrats wanted to?

Also, I'd question the utility of having more Democrats win downticket races if they're just there to fill the seat with a D.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

PhazonLink posted:

Even if it was real, what kind of lame-o breaks his wrist? I'm a goony nerd and I don't break my weak nerd bones punching walls.(I'm also not rich so my walls aren't diamond/gold)

Yeah, you're a lot more likely to break a finger or two before you break your wrist. But the guy's a big namby-pamby who's spent his entire life in a bubble and doesn't realize that, unlike in the movies and on the crime scene dramas, punching actually kinda hurts your hand.

fool_of_sound posted:

He's lived in a rich bubble of his friends for the entirety of his life until now, never having to really interact with the real world unless he wants to (which he obviously doesn't). So, yes in a fashion to both counts.

haveblue posted:

Plus the bad luck that this time a media firestorm happened. The low-demand drug trick is apparently a common thing, it's not even the first time this guy specifically has done it.

Apparently he did this at a previous company which kicked him out and fined him for doing exactly this, and he's using money from this current company/scam to pay off the fine from the previous bullshit.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

This is rather interesting, but in an environment in which not even non-crazy Republicans have a chance, I'm not sure how "like a Republican but branded as the Marxist-Satanist Party to Republican voters" is going to solve anything.

Matt Yglesias is usually a good look into how Democratic neoliberals think, though. So it's not a shock that his thinking resembles that of Canada's NDP and Liberal Parties- unable to imagine left-wing economic policy as appealing to the electorate.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Isn't it the case that gerrymandering is a significant barrier to winning state-level offices even if the Democrats wanted to?

Also, I'd question the utility of having more Democrats win downticket races if they're just there to fill the seat with a D.

Any time you see a Vox article with the word "actually" in the title, they are just trolling for page views.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
Some congressman and MSNBC are saying Biden is going to announce within the next 48 hours. Surely would make the primary more interesting.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Biden will renounce his US citizenship. Still running.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Maarek posted:

Some congressman and MSNBC are saying Biden is going to announce within the next 48 hours. Surely would make the primary more interesting.

Any day now!!!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

In 2008 I was confidently told by Very Serious People that McCain would win the presidency because a black man would never be voted in by the American public.

I tend to take apocalyptic predictions of progressive annihilation with a pinch of salt these days.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Any day now!!!

They want it so bad they can taste it. I'm surprised they're not camping outside of his house (again).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Maarek posted:

The next six months 48 hours are going to be critical in answering the question "is Biden running for president?"

• Locked thread