Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

TEAYCHES posted:

how is ethnic theorycrafting in the games forum not identity politics

I am a liberal after all, just not a close-minded bigoted moron like most leftists are trying to understand conservatism beyond the lense of perceived (or more likely, projected) racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Smoothrich posted:

I am a liberal after all, just not a close-minded bigoted moron like most leftists are trying to understand conservatism beyond the lense of perceived (or more likely, projected) racism.

there are a lot of liberals with projected racism but you are a dumbass, which is unrelated to that

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
There are proooobably more racist conservatives than liberals but I don't think the majority of conservatives are.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Jewel Repetition posted:

There are proooobably more racist conservatives than liberals but I don't think the majority of conservatives are.

Anyone who believes in a concept like "white privilege" is inherently a racist.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Smoothrich posted:

Oh.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Smoothrich posted:

lmao

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Smoothrich posted:

check your slav privilege

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

im not white, im half polish

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Actually, liberals dislike Ben Carson because he's a loving idiot, not because he's black. Thanks for playing though, Smoothrich.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ben Carson seems like a nice man but he is not qualified to be president and he has terrible, ill-informed ideas. He does not understand history. He'd be another Dubya.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

McDowell posted:

Ben Carson seems like a nice man but he is not qualified to be president and he has terrible, ill-informed ideas. He does not understand history. He'd be another Dubya.

Dubya was uneducated and didn't care, Carson seems to suffer from delusions.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
If you thought Jeb folded under Trump's glare, imagine Carson.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

midnightclimax posted:

Dubya was uneducated and didn't care, Carson seems to suffer from delusions.

It's unequivocally untrue that dubs was uneducated. His father put him through some very good schools, whether he chose to take advantage of the opportunity or not. It's also not quite true that he is dumb: he knew how to win elections and was somewhat cunning politically. He was just a gullible rear end and was totally unable to govern.

I suspect Carson would be similar.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Skeesix posted:

He was just a gullible rear end and was totally unable to govern.

Yeah he has the 'guy I would hang out with' factor - but he would just do whatever his advisers tell him. If he actually wins I can see the people making the important decisions wouldn't be much different from those under Jeb.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I wouldn't say GW was unable to govern; he got exactly what he wanted from America from 2001 to August 2006. For some reason there was a lot of water and his polls dropped.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Golden Bee posted:

If you thought Jeb folded under Trump's glare, imagine Carson.

carson is too drat high to notice

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

quote:

1. “You know Obamacare is really I think the worst thing that has happened in this nation since slavery. And it is in a way, it is slavery in a way, because it is making all of us subservient to the government, and it was never about health care. It was about control.” – 2013 at the Values Voter Summit

2. “Well, my thoughts are that marriage is between a man and a woman. It’s a well-established, fundamental pillar of society and no group, be they gays, be they NAMBLA, be they people who believe in bestiality. It doesn’t matter what they are. They don’t get to change the definition.” – 2013 on Fox News’ Hannity

3. “There comes a time when people with values simply have to stand up. Think about Nazi Germany. Most of those people did not believe in what Hitler was doing. But did they speak up? Did they stand up for what they believe in? They did not, and you saw what happened.” - Carson comparing Democrats and those who voted for President Obama to Nazis.

4. “Because 9/11 is an isolated incident. Things that are isolated issues as opposed to things that fundamentally change the United Sates of America and shift power from the people to the government. That is a huge shift. You have to take a long-term look at something that fundamentally changes the power structure of America.” - Carson claiming that “Obamacare” is worse than 9/11

5. “A lot of people who go into prison straight, and when they come out they’re gay.” – CNN interview on March 4, 2015

Lots of good stuff in here I bet
http://www.ontheissues.org/Ben_Carson.htm

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm starting to get the feeling that Dr. Carson, despite his frequent references to it, knows very little indeed about Nazi Germany and the societal factors that led to the rise of the Nazi party and the outbreak of WW2.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

PT6A posted:

I'm starting to get the feeling that Dr. Carson, despite his frequent references to it, knows very little indeed about

may as well just make this easy to fill in

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Lotka Volterra posted:

may as well just make this easy to fill in

Things I'm confident Dr. Carson knows about :

Neurosurgery

Things I don't think Dr. Carson knows gently caress all about :

Literally everything except neurosurgery

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Are there any video compilations of all the crazy poo poo Ben Carson has said?

tia

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

OniPanda posted:

ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

NotWearingPants posted:

Are there any video compilations of all the crazy poo poo Ben Carson has said?

tia

I'd like this to post on my dads snap chat

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Alerted to this by USPOL, but posting here because Carson.

Ben Carson recasts role of Saudi Arabia in hunt for Osama bin Laden

Carson about to say more retarded poo poo posted:

At the second Republican presidential debate, in California last month, Carson said that if George W Bush had announced a plan to end reliance on Persian Gulf oil “within five to 10 years ... moderate Arab states” spurred by the threat of the loss of a key market “would have turned over Osama bin Laden and anybody else you wanted on a silver platter in two weeks”.

Pressed by ABC News host George Stephanopoulos on Sunday, Carson stood by the assertion.

I think [moderate Arab states] would have been concerned, and if we were serious about it ... I think that would have trumped any loyalty they had to Osama bin Laden,” Carson said.

Stephanopoulos said: “But they didn’t have any loyalty to him. The Saudis kicked him out. He was their enemy.”

Carson responded: “Well, you may not think they had any loyalty to him. But I believe otherwise.”

Asked how the Saudis or allies would have located Bin Laden in his remote refuge in the tribal areas of Afghanistan and Pakistan, Carson said: “I think they would have known where he was.

“There were indications, for example, during the Clinton administration that we knew where he was … If we could tell where he was, I’m certain they knew where he was.

My point is, we have other ways that we could have done things. I personally don’t believe that invading Iraq was an existential threat to us. I don’t believe that Saddam Hussein was an existential threat to us. It’s a very different situation right now.

Stephanopoulos said: “But sir, I wasn’t asking about invading Iraq. I was asking about invading Afghanistan, which had been harboring Osama bin Laden.”

Well, I was primarily talking about Iraq,” said Carson. “I wasn’t particularly interested in going into Afghanistan, but I do think that we should have taken aggressive action.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Typical Carson. We should've done something, except if it didn't make sense, but he still would've done it, but it would've been something different.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

quote:

Asked to reply to an attack by Trump, on whom Carson appears to be gaining in polls, that he did not have enough negotiating experience to be president, Carson replied that he did.

“I’ve had lots of experience doing a whole host of things, negotiating with all kinds of people in order to get things accomplished,” Carson said.

As examples of major negotiations he had led, Carson cited his work steering the Johns Hopkins pediatric neurosurgery program to national prominence, and setting up his charity for students, the Carson Scholars Fund.

wtf kind of negotiation skill do you need to setup your own charity? Or making Johns Hopkins a nationally known place?

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Has Ben Carson even read The Art of the Deal?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Negotiate? We're the United loving States. Since when does the world's only superpower need to negotiate with anyone? Why whould we concede our god given sovereignty to anyone? If we had real leaders in this country, we wouldn't negotiate with anyone. Not foreign countries, not teachers unions, no one. We'd tell them how things are and that is how they would be.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Smoothrich posted:

:wtc:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Do we really want a sleep addict as president? I'd rather have a cocaine addict (O'Malley)

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I look white so people and places are way more likely to let me use their bathrooms, it's pretty nice!

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
the idea that you receive advantages for your ethnicity is incorrect, expect genetically.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Edit: wrong thread.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I look white so people and places are way more likely to let me use their bathrooms, it's pretty nice!

I am confused as to how acknowledging the advantages you get from looking white make you racist

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I am confused as to how acknowledging the advantages you get from looking white make you racist

Some people don't want to deny the existence of a problem so they claim acknowledging the problem causes it.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Some people don't want to deny the existence of a problem so they claim acknowledging the problem causes it.

That's loving moronic. That comic is a satirical onion cartoon.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

So Dr. Ben Carson wants to eliminate Medicare and replace with with a health savings account.

quote:

Carson, who now leads the GOP field in Iowa according to the latest Quinnipiac Poll, would eliminate the program that provides health care to 49 million senior citizens, as well as Medicaid, and replace it with a system of cradle-to-grave savings accounts which would be funded with $2,000 a year in government contributions. While rivals have been pummeled for proposing less radical changes, Carson hasn't faced the same scrutiny -- and his continued traction in polls has left GOP strategists and conservative health care wonks scratching their heads.

quote:

Under the plan Carson outlined most specifically last year, the government would contribute $2,000 to each individual’s tax-free account every year, with a third of the funding earmarked for insurance to cover severe medical incidents. Individuals and employers could contribute additional funds to the accounts, and the unspent funds could be shared among family members, which Carson says "makes every family their own insurance company."

Boy this sure does not sound like a lot of coverage for people who were expecting this sort of care... but wait a minute...

quote:

"makes every family their own insurance company."

Kind of a funny point, because...

quote:

“People in Washington say, ‘Well, you can’t give poor people a health savings account because they’re too stupid. They won’t know what to do with it.’” Carson said at a West Des Moines, Iowa, town hall in August. “But the fact of the matter is, that is not the case.”

So one of the reasons medicare works is because it can dictate costs (somewhat) to healthcare providers. Health Savings Account? Not the same kind of pull. You probably have to buy insurance after the fact. Your $2000 has a big chunk of money taken out already and on top of that, the 'savings' the government gets because they don't need to administer as much is eaten by another entity- and you get no benefit from that relationship.

Carson has some other things to say about his plan

quote:

When people are able to see how much more freedom they will have, and how much more flexibility they will have, and how much more choice they would have, I think it's going to be a no-brainer.

The reason that I've come up with the health savings account system, utilizing the same monies that we use to pay for health now, (it) provides a very different paradigm. Eighty percent-plus of your encounters are going to be between you and the health-care provider, with no third-party in there sucking out the resources. When that happens, there's a fiduciary responsibility and relationship that develops between the patient and a care provider. You're going to have much more transparency, much more responsibility. That's going to bring the whole system into a more free economic model. That's how you control price and that's how you control quality.

To be clear, Carson's plan is to get a benefit of $2,000 per year.

It's pretty hypocritical on his part because he thinks on one hand, that $2,000 in an HSA is enough. On the other hand, he is also making it clear that he's aware that its going to put a 'fiduciary responsibility' (aka cut corners because you can't afford poo poo) on the citizen. Even more obvious he knows that money is poo poo when he's saying your and your family will have to give up your personal disbursement so that pops can get a tumor removed.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think it is $2000 that can only be spent on (full price of) Doctors, device, and medicine bills. Maybe if you pay more money in it accrues interest? Does the government somehow guarantee these deposits? If there's X>2000 at the end of each year can you cash it out? :confused:

It seems like an incredibly simple solution but it raises lots of questions and just seems completely unaware of the insane insurance/doctor/pharma/hospital system that dictates prices for the individual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

That's loving moronic. That comic is a satirical onion cartoon.

:ironicat:

• Locked thread