Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

IBT posted:

Bush’s campaign did not respond to International Business Times’ questions about the Florida licenses issued to the hijackers while he was governor.

:rip: Jeb!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MSNBC's source is a guy from the national fireman's union who said Biden told him he was gonna run.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Is it Christmas already?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Isn't it the case that gerrymandering is a significant barrier to winning state-level offices even if the Democrats wanted to?

In some/many states, but simultaneously the only way to undo the gerrymander (or prevent it from happening again in 2020-2022) is to win those races. And in many states it's going to be a multi-cycle battle. Here in VA we need to pick up like 16 or 17 seats in the House of Delegates, so the hope is to pick up a few this year, more in 2017, and then the last few in 2019. We can't pick up 17 seats in just one cycle.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Also, I'd question the utility of having more Democrats win downticket races if they're just there to fill the seat with a D.

Blue Dogs are at least marginally superior to Republicans policy-wise. Not much, but a little bit.

Also, just having incumbents is great because they can help raise money and recruit volunteers. I mean not nearly as effectively as an actual running campaign, but it helps. And it's useful to have electeds who can serve as surrogates for your candidates.

The other nice thing is that it's easier to defend incumbents' seats than it is to take seats back. Every marginal seat you hold is a seat the Republicans have to spend more money trying to re-take. Even just recruiting candidates in non-battleground races is important - running against the "safe" Republicans scares them and prevents them from helping as significantly in the more swing districts.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Captain America has been black for a while, but he has a new enemy. Fox and Friends.

They are just the biggest babies, my god

Any slight against Conservatives (or "Average Americans") can not be brooked, even if it happens in a fuckin' comic book.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You guys remember three or four years ago when we were like "Nothing could possibly top this election cycle"?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

Isn't it the case that gerrymandering is a significant barrier to winning state-level offices even if the Democrats wanted to?

Also, I'd question the utility of having more Democrats win downticket races if they're just there to fill the seat with a D.

Blue Dogs vote for districting plans that favor Democrats and against ones that favor Republicans. That vote alone, even if they then vote with Republicans 99% of the time, is worth supporting them against a Republican.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

zoux posted:

You guys remember three or four years ago when we were like "Nothing could possibly top this election cycle"?

The thing was we simply couldn't comprehend the heights (or depths) 2015 would go, and we're not even into 2016 yet.

I no longer doubt that the 2019/2020 election will try to top this, but how? Will Donald Trump run again and somehow dismantle Cheney and Halliburton after taking out the Bush's last election?

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Monkey Fracas posted:

They are just the biggest babies, my god

Any slight against Conservatives (or "Average Americans") can not be brooked, even if it happens in a fuckin' comic book.
Just to make it more interesting the writer of the comic is a failed Republican politician with a history of complaining about white flight hurting his night club

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jackson Taus posted:

The other nice thing is that it's easier to defend incumbents' seats than it is to take seats back. Every marginal seat you hold is a seat the Republicans have to spend more money trying to re-take. Even just recruiting candidates in non-battleground races is important - running against the "safe" Republicans scares them and prevents them from helping as significantly in the more swing districts.

You mean the 50 State Strategy was actually worth it?! But Howard Dean made a funny noise on tv once!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Alkydere posted:

The thing was we simply couldn't comprehend the heights (or depths) 2015 would go, and we're not even into 2016 yet.

I no longer doubt that the 2019/2020 election will try to top this, but how? Will Donald Trump run again and somehow dismantle Cheney and Halliburton after taking out the Bush's last election?

Lindsey Lohan and Kanye are running 2020

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Alkydere posted:

Robo-Trump 9000 will do glorious mechanized battle live on stage with CruzBot XT97A during the first debate

Steve Doocy will get his head vaporized by an errant battle laser emission

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Matt Yglesias's Newsletter posted:

Lots of talk about the Nordic social model. I used to be a huge enthusiast for "America should be more like foreign county x"-style arguments but the more I actually learned about foreign countries the more I've come to think this kind of thing is politically and analytically weak. Life is complicated and while there are certainly things we can and should learn from foreign countries, nobody succeeds by "becoming like" some other countries. Countries improve by becoming more like themselves. Rather than look to the best parts of Europe for inspiration we should look to the best parts of America.

America should be more like California

To the extent that what one wants is proof that a prosperous and innovative economy can coincide with high tax rates, I would look to California. California is richer than Denmark, has basically the same top marginal income tax rate, is indisputably the world capital of innovation, and actually caters more to the US liberal taste for (relatively) low taxes on the middle class and a very progressive rate structure.

California has all that going for it, plus great food and great weather. So why doesn't everyone move to California? Well, the housing is expensive. These days they also seem to be out of water. So what do we need to do? We need to zone for more housing in coastal California and we need to stop giving water away at discount prices to California farmers.

#Content

Democrats are losing and dangerously complacent about it.
The self-driving car revolution starts with an Australian mine.
Or maybe more like Maryland

Maryland is even richer than California. What do we need there? Well, we need denser zoning in Maryland's exclusive suburbs. We need transit-oriented development in Prince George's County. We need operational reforms and a bit of extra infrastructure cash to get MARC/VRE through-running. We need to improve policing and public schools in Baltimore.

One could go on with this list. But the point is that in a practical sense "blue America" is richer and more social democratic than "red America" but red America is growing much faster because its houses are cheaper and its auto-oriented infrastructure works well enough. To make America more social democratic what you need to do is reverse that -- build more houses in the blue places and build and manage the infrastructure (including water infrastructure) to support population growth.

An America with a more dynamic housing sector, more population mobility, and more density in our most prosperous metro areas would achieve a median income that leaves the Nordics in the dust and would also have much more tax revenue available for public services than we currently see. In the mix with these ideas, I also think the US should give more cash assistance to poor families. That is something that the Nordics do that we ought to emulate. But it wouldn't make America "like Denmark" anymore than Sweden became a clone of the United States when it decided to allow private companies to run pharmacies.

Here is Yglesias's newsletter for the day, in case you wanted more of his ideas about how to make America awesome. Did you know that if you got everyone to agree to a bunch of things they perceive to be against their interests (and are in some cases!) we could do some real good for this country?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 49 minutes!

perhaps george did keep america safe while Jeb could not or did not.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's pretty disappointing that something like that could happen in Bloomington, but I'm not surprised the cop didn't go full Rambo. There's tons of Muslim students here and families living in the community, and IU is king in this town so you know the police are getting hippie liberal sensitivity training.

Also, it sounds like the dude had some serious loving issues:

quote:

“If I see one more, not so subtly, racist post shared from some random conservative page, my brain is going to explode,” Bickford posted July 19 on Facebook.

quote:

“If someone flew a Nazi flag and claimed it was about their heritage and not their bigotry, would you believe them?” Bickford posted June 23, punctuated by the shrug emoticon.

quote:

He frequently posted articles supporting Sanders and the candidate’s economic positions, and Bickford also complained on social media about racist and anti-LGBT conservatives.

Also, new contender for most punchable face?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wrist's all better.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Can you just pretend you've hit the middle of your career and push the barrel of a shotgun in your mouth?

Thanks in advance.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

God, what a butthole

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation

zoux posted:

Wrist's all better.

I'm glad.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Whoopsie

quote:

House Benghazi Committee Chairman Trey Gowdy appears to have accidentally released the name of a CIA source in the midst of a back-and-forth with Democrats about how sensitive the information was and whether its presence in former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's private email account constituted a security breach.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Releasing the names of CIA employees is a pretty Republican practice.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Jackson Taus posted:

In some/many states, but simultaneously the only way to undo the gerrymander (or prevent it from happening again in 2020-2022) is to win those races. And in many states it's going to be a multi-cycle battle. Here in VA we need to pick up like 16 or 17 seats in the House of Delegates, so the hope is to pick up a few this year, more in 2017, and then the last few in 2019. We can't pick up 17 seats in just one cycle.

Blue Dogs are at least marginally superior to Republicans policy-wise. Not much, but a little bit.

Also, just having incumbents is great because they can help raise money and recruit volunteers. I mean not nearly as effectively as an actual running campaign, but it helps. And it's useful to have electeds who can serve as surrogates for your candidates.

There is a way to fight Gerry Mandering though that actually I think Florida is regretting. If a state has a State Constitution system like Florida's you can get the votes to add it to the states constitution.

http://www.vox.com/2015/7/9/8922811/florida-gerrymandering-supreme-court

That's kind of what happened:

quote:

Congressional districts or districting plans may not be drawn to favor or disfavor an incumbent or political party. Districts shall not be drawn to deny racial or language minorities the equal opportunity to participate in the political process and elect representatives of their choice. Districts must be contiguous. Unless otherwise required, districts must be compact, as equal in population as feasible, and where feasible must make use of existing city, county and geographical boundaries.[27]

That's the text of the amendment. Now if more states had this as part of their constitution we may see less Gerry Mandering.

Personally I think this is what progressives should be campaigning for in states where it is applicable. I mean this would really release some of the strangle holds in Congress.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Rygar201 posted:

Here is Yglesias's newsletter for the day, in case you wanted more of his ideas about how to make America awesome. Did you know that if you got everyone to agree to a bunch of things they perceive to be against their interests (and are in some cases!) we could do some real good for this country?

Political pundits really are the loving worst. "Hey I think it's intellectually lazy to say we should be more like Denmark. Instead, let's look at California, which has a bunch of policies similar to Denmark!"

Yeah, real valuable insight there.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

I'm not a very good person, and I'm not that lucky. I don't know how Donald's campaign came into my life, but if I were the praying sort I'd pray daily for him to keep trolling all Republicans forever.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

If I read this right, this is a name that the CIA doesn't consider confidential, which undermines the "Hillary had secret information in her private emails!" angle, so the only reason to redact them was to pretend that this is super secret information, except they hosed up the redaction.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Antti posted:

If I read this right, this is a name that the CIA doesn't consider confidential, which undermines the "Hillary had secret information in her private emails!" angle, so the only reason to redact them was to pretend that this is super secret information, except they hosed up the redaction.

Right, because it was common knowledge the guy was cooperating with US intelligence. Gowdy was keeping the name secret so that nobody could confirm, and hosed it up so now everyone can go "yep, there sure were news stories at the time about how everyone knew".

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 19, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You guys need to lay of Gowdy, he's been having a rough time.

quote:

“I would say in some ways these have been among the worst weeks of my life. Attacks on your character, attacks on your motives, are 1,000-times worse than anything you can do to anybody physically — at least it is for me.”

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

zoux posted:

thats why i chair a committee my colleagues have admitted exists only to slander someone's character, because we're not allowed to actually physically attack hillary even though we so want to

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
All this and Benjamin Ghazee is still at large.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation

zoux posted:

i'm going to give him an indian burn

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

I hope he gets hit by a car and has to do the entire Clinton inquisition in a bodycast.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

gradenko_2000 posted:

Any day now!!!

Maybe he'll run if someone sends him a delicious pizza.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Oh my god, the Irony meter is approaching 9000!!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

So he's basically saying, feel free to punch me in the face, it won't bother me at all.

Good to know!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!
Sticks and stones can't break by bones, but questions about how I do my job as a politician are worse than death.

Well I guess it's hard to empathize if you've literally never suffered criticism, so that explains a lot.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
It's chill because Issa had done such a lovely job of hiding their motives that they got Trey "Good Hair" Gowdy to run it to give it the veneer of rigor and objectivity, and it's just been the same old poo poo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Isn't captain American not being happy with modern America part of the plots of the movies as well. I didn't see winter soldier.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

Isn't captain American not being happy with modern America part of the plots of the movies as well. I didn't see winter soldier.

It's been a part of the character off and on since he threw the Cap costume in the trash and went around as a different hero after Watergate.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The movies bear very little resemblance to the comics beyond the character names and the broad strokes of their backgrounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

euphronius posted:

The movies have been pretty apolitical and it will be interesting to see if the next one actually has social commentary because that's supposedly part of the plot.

If it does expect fox news to crow hard about it.

• Locked thread