Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

A Man and his dog posted:

Literally the Worst tell Turkeybone in the service industry thread that he can suck my dick.

Hahah that guy makes so much money and he blocks me cause I'm trying to make a living.

Dude, I closed the thread. Don't you think that if I could've blocked you, I or anyone else would have done so a long time ago? Didn't you find it strange that nobody posted in the thread for like four days?

I lived the lovely Sous chef life. Sixty hours a week for the joy and honor of being salaried for 36k a year. But I said gently caress that, and went back to school and the only reason I post things that are probably outwardly annoying and smarmy (like all the free alcohol, free other poo poo, perks) is because I pretty much just learned Excel and statistics, and the most basic of programming, and the fact that in 2 years I went from one end of the spectrum to the other is a commentary on how ridiculous the whole world is.

Apparently you can't get it up (I noticed as I glossed over the 30 posts you made on Thursday), so sucking your dick is out of the question, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Are there any other servers that post here besides me and "A Man and His Dog"? because I think sometimes my statements get conflated with his and I don't want that to happen.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The pay disparity between FOH and BOH is part of a systematic design to set them at odds with each other and create a rivalry when none need exist. BOH possesses the means of production, FOH possesses the means of distribution. If they were to set aside their differences they could unite and overthrow their true enemy, capitalist Management.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Skwirl posted:

Are there any other servers that post here besides me and "A Man and His Dog"? because I think sometimes my statements get conflated with his and I don't want that to happen.

I'm a server. Also low level management, but still.

edit: Now that I think about it, I've done at least a little of every standard FoH position, I think.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

I am also a server.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Trebuchet King posted:

I'm a server. Also low level management, but still.

edit: Now that I think about it, I've done at least a little of every standard FoH position, I think.

This, but also maintenance and housekeeping, concierge, basically everything that isn't a chef's position including garde and pastry. The only way you stay working for 10+ years at a tiny private club like mine is by doing every job. We've been no tips for the last 100 years or so, it's worked out pretty well. Granted, we're technically non-profit since we're a social club so management doesn't have much incentive to cut costs on labor. Much easier to hire a long term, reliable, versatile employee for a living wage than to hire an endless stream of random college kids.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Skwirl posted:

former server/bartender

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Turkeybone I forgot you were OP and could just close the thread. I went overboard. My apology.

I won't bring up tipping anymore and will avoid that topic all together. Lesson learned.

In work news. Saturday night was memorable. Some blacked out drunk lady came in with her family. She could barley get out of her seat to leave.

As she was leaving of course she falls and cuts her head open. Blood everywhere. The whole place rushes to help and it was just a poo poo show. We finally just picked her rear end up and threw her in the car with her older family members.

:cripes:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

laws in Florida must be different than here re: drunk guests. Did you guys serve her? Provided you did, are you not liable for her?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JawKnee posted:

laws in Florida must be different than here re: drunk guests. Did you guys serve her? Provided you did, are you not liable for her?

Do those laws apply even if someone doesn't actually order any alcohol, but just comes in drunk and orders food?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

baquerd posted:

Do those laws apply even if someone doesn't actually order any alcohol, but just comes in drunk and orders food?

I don't think so, but the laws are often convoluted and arbitrarily enforced. In Seattle a few years back the liquor board tried to fine a sports bar for over serving someone who got in a drunk driving accident despite in between the guest leaving the bar and crashing the car he went to the baseball stadium across the street and watched an entire ball game while continuing to drink heavily.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Skwirl posted:

I don't think so, but the laws are often convoluted and arbitrarily enforced. In Seattle a few years back the liquor board tried to fine a sports bar for over serving someone who got in a drunk driving accident despite in between the guest leaving the bar and crashing the car he went to the baseball stadium across the street and watched an entire ball game while continuing to drink heavily.

Just because you don't understand laws doesn't mean that they're convoluted, hth

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Business Gorillas posted:

Just because you don't understand laws doesn't mean that they're convoluted, hth

Ok.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Business Gorillas posted:

Fine, then explain the logic behind what I just wrote.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Overserving is overserving. Law doesn't care whether someone exacerbated the issue after your store was no longer involved, anyone played a part in the chain of events of someone getting trashed w/o taking proper care (call a cab, police) is going to be held responsible. Not entirely fair, and I hate the Prohibition-reviving MADD mindset, but in my cynicism I expect that a somewhat heavy-handed approach to punishing even less-culpable parties is necessary in order to ensure that business actually care about whether Joe DIrt can maneuver his car out of the parking lot without killing someone, rather than shrugging and counting his tab into the deposit.

This is why I've had a manager check on an intoxicated table three times in one hour.

Also I am a (PT) server.

TheSnowySoviet
May 12, 2004

It never got weird enough for me.

Vorenus posted:

Law doesn't care whether someone exacerbated the issue after your store was no longer involved

This varies wildly from state to state and country to country, and so is not a hard and fast rule, which makes it complex and difficult to initially understand... which is the definition of convoluted.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

I'm a server/bartender and I don't even feel bad.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vorenus posted:

Overserving is overserving. Law doesn't care whether someone exacerbated the issue after your store was no longer involved, anyone played a part in the chain of events of someone getting trashed w/o taking proper care (call a cab, police) is going to be held responsible. Not entirely fair, and I hate the Prohibition-reviving MADD mindset, but in my cynicism I expect that a somewhat heavy-handed approach to punishing even less-culpable parties is necessary in order to ensure that business actually care about whether Joe DIrt can maneuver his car out of the parking lot without killing someone, rather than shrugging and counting his tab into the deposit.

This is why I've had a manager check on an intoxicated table three times in one hour.

Also I am a (PT) server.
But there's no evidence he was over served at the first place. And I probably should have pointed out that the liquor board did not try and level any punishment against the stadium.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Dram shop laws.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
http://munchies.vice.com/articles/scientists-say-its-more-stressful-to-be-a-waiter-than-a-neurosurgeon

Thoughts?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I knew I should have gone to medical school

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
My first thought is selection bias... I wonder how someone who was able to make it through med school and a neurosurgery residency would respond versus an unskilled person with no other options in similar situations.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Skwirl posted:

But there's no evidence he was over served at the first place. And I probably should have pointed out that the liquor board did not try and level any punishment against the stadium.

I guarantee you that's it right there. The liquor board needed to at least be seen attempting to deliver a scalp and I'm guessing the stadium owners are more hooked in to city council than the owner of a sports bar which means the bar employees get leaned on for "overserving" and that transaction only goes one way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwuckTkE7T4

seems to me the take-home of this article is this

quote:

A new study has found that demanding jobs offering employees little control are among the most detrimental to mental and physical health.

Which, well.... yeah!

Speaking of things we all know but white people who write articles for money are only just now coming to terms with:

Survey: Half Of Food Workers Go To Work Sick Because They Have To

quote:

But it's not as if these sick food workers are careless. Nine out of 10 workers polled in the new survey said they feel responsible for the safety and well-being of their customers. Yet about 45 percent said they go to work sick because they "can't afford to lose pay." And about 46 percent said they do it because they "don't want to let co-workers down."

The study was commissioned by Alchemy, a firm that works with companies across the food chain to improve safety and productivity. Alchemy CEO Jeff Eastman tells The Salt that the survey was designed to help his firm learn more about the experience of food workers. Alchemy asked the Center for Research and Public Policy, a consulting firm, to conduct the research with oh my god watching NPR liberals realize blindingly bleeding loving obvious stipulated facts the working class deals with every day is like watching a baby slooooooooooooooowwwwly rotate the square peg into the square hole, oh come on little Tyler just a bit more you almost have it!!

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 20, 2015

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Been a while since I worked open to close, I should do that more often.

e: because I don't have to rely on the other lovely manager to actually get anything done, I can just do it all while I'm getting nothing but OT pay. :colbert:

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I'm back to working doubles on Mondays so our other Maitre'd can have a weekend and coming in this morning to see everything exactly the way I left it instead of in total disarray is so refreshing.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Shabadu posted:

I'm back to working doubles on Mondays so our other Maitre'd can have a weekend and coming in this morning to see everything exactly the way I left it instead of in total disarray is so refreshing.

Man I used to love working back to back close - open or whatever precisely because of this.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

CommonShore posted:

The pay disparity between FOH and BOH is part of a systematic design to set them at odds with each other and create a rivalry when none need exist. BOH possesses the means of production, FOH possesses the means of distribution. If they were to set aside their differences they could unite and overthrow their true enemy, capitalist Management.

In most restaurants managers are much more like workers than capitalists. It's the parasitic owner, sitting at the bar, drinking and sexually harassing the female staff, that is the true foe.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kenning posted:

In most restaurants managers are much more like workers than capitalists. It's the parasitic owner, sitting at the bar, drinking and sexually harassing the female staff, that is the true foe.

So Management is the bourgeoisie and the owners are the aristocracy.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

gently caress it, burn the whole building down because those people couldn't even function on capitalism.

I can not wait until I'm done with this industry,

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Kenning posted:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Cool, I have a serving stage at a decently nice French place this weekend, with a training schedule to follow. Looks like I'm back in the serving game.

(didn't help that when I had my impromptu "interview" with the GM, he couldn't even find my application or attached "skills test" which was basically a questionnaire on French food/techniques)

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Alright, that's definitely convoluted. No argument here.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vorenus posted:

Alright, that's definitely convoluted. No argument here.

The LCB in Seattle is a little notorious. Around the same time as what I just posted they did a massive underage sale sting, getting minors to buy beer without ID at well over a dozen bars then fining them. Which is a fair cop, it's illegal to sell booze to teenagers, no matter how old they look.

Except every single citation got thrown out meaning it actually cost taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars in court fees and other administrative costs. Turns out it's illegal to pay an underage person to try and buy beer. Cops are allowed to do that, but city bureaucrats aren't.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Skwirl posted:

The LCB in Seattle is a little notorious. Around the same time as what I just posted they did a massive underage sale sting, getting minors to buy beer without ID at well over a dozen bars then fining them. Which is a fair cop, it's illegal to sell booze to teenagers, no matter how old they look.

Except every single citation got thrown out meaning it actually cost taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars in court fees and other administrative costs. Turns out it's illegal to pay an underage person to try and buy beer. Cops are allowed to do that, but city bureaucrats aren't.

Glorious.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
My restaurant that I just left (for a promotion to a much bigger position than they would have been able to give me because they are small and new, such a position doesn't exist. No bad blood.) just got a star yesterday after being open just over a year! So exciting.

I get to host the crew from there as well as a few other newly starred folks at my new place next week.

Life is good, I love the restaurant industry :D

E: one of the cooks who left about a month and a half ago to work at Noma just sent us all a photo of her and Rene with a congrats sign! So fuckin cool!

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 21, 2015

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
gently caress yeah.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
I've always wondered, are the stars they give filled with chocolate? Like gelt, only for old frenchies?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

My restaurant that I just left (for a promotion to a much bigger position than they would have been able to give me because they are small and new, such a position doesn't exist. No bad blood.) just got a star yesterday after being open just over a year! So exciting.

I get to host the crew from there as well as a few other newly starred folks at my new place next week.

Life is good, I love the restaurant industry :D

E: one of the cooks who left about a month and a half ago to work at Noma just sent us all a photo of her and Rene with a congrats sign! So fuckin cool!

I saw the anagram announce this on fb. Good on him. Motherfucker succeeds at everything.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Writing next year's menu, aww yeah. Putting octopus on there, and nothing's gonna stop me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Writing next year's menu, aww yeah. Putting octopus on there, and nothing's gonna stop me!

Ooooh. What are you going to do? Quick cook? Long slow cook? Raw?

Come on man don't keep us waiting.

• Locked thread