Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea weird it's almost like Cap has always stood for fighting bigotry and hate done in the name of America because he represents an America that's supposed to be bigger than such things and welcoming to everyone.

Anyway lemmie tell you why a black Captain America is fuckin bullshit

Yea, Captain America represents what America says it is, rather than what it is. He fights for a place where true freedom exists, where people can be truely free (and not in the BS HOA style freedom Conservatives push), where there is no bigotry, no sexism, no homophobia. People off all cultures, races and religions can live together in harmony and respect. That America abroad will strive to do good, protect people from tyranny and hatred. Selflessly give of its wealthy and bounty to those less fortunate and be a place where you can rise as high as your individual drive and skills can take you.

Obviously Cap deviates from this from time to time, but that's the general idea. He was pretty bad in Avengers Vs X-men but normally he's one of the few big heroes that's normally on the side of Mutants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, Captain America represents what America says it is, rather than what it is. He fights for a place where true freedom exists, where people can be truely free (and not in the BS HOA style freedom Conservatives push), where there is no bigotry, no sexism, no homophobia. People off all cultures, races and religions can live together in harmony and respect. That America abroad will strive to do good, protect people from tyranny and hatred. Selflessly give of its wealthy and bounty to those less fortunate and be a place where you can rise as high as your individual drive and skills can take you.

Obviously Cap deviates from this from time to time, but that's the general idea. He was pretty bad in Avengers Vs X-men but normally he's one of the few big heroes that's normally on the side of Mutants.

yeah, pretty much, he is the ideal of america. no the real thing.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Some talk radio shithead (Billy Cunningham?) was going on tonight whining about musicians sending C&D letters to the GOP candidates using their music at rallies. Instead of looking at this and thinking "hey maybe artists who tend to be more worldly and open-minded don't want bigots and racists appropriating their poo poo for profit," he naturally concluded that the musicians were being coerced into taking action by a conspiracy of evil Hollywood liberal elites (he stopped short of saying Jews although I thought that's were he was going) under the threat of blacklisting.

It's like it's inconceivable to them that maybe normal people, including musicians, are really tired of the same old Republican hate train.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Because when I think of the owners and execs of billion dollar corporations, I think filthy hippie liberals.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ToastyPotato posted:

Because when I think of the owners and execs of billion dollar corporations, I think filthy hippie liberals.

Are you suggesting that political opinions might be...correlated with class? Don't be such a commie, obviously it's all about geography and industry!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Hazo posted:

Some talk radio shithead (Billy Cunningham?) was going on tonight whining about musicians sending C&D letters to the GOP candidates using their music at rallies. Instead of looking at this and thinking "hey maybe artists who tend to be more worldly and open-minded don't want bigots and racists appropriating their poo poo for profit," he naturally concluded that the musicians were being coerced into taking action by a conspiracy of evil Hollywood liberal elites (he stopped short of saying Jews although I thought that's were he was going) under the threat of blacklisting.

It's like it's inconceivable to them that maybe normal people, including musicians, are really tired of the same old Republican hate train.

Silent Majority, remember

also, he's probably fans of the musicians in question, and therefore refuses to believe that they would disagree with him on politics and it must be the evil record execs doing this

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I always saw captain america as a non-partisan character. maybe a little old fashioned in a sense but never extreme either way. either way, why do they care about some one off villain who will probaly never be seen again.

I thought it's always been clear that Cap was a not racist New Dealer. Who actually believed in the ideals of America and that everyone should have a fair shot at them, to the point that after Watergate he gave up being Captain America cause Nixon disgraced the White House. He got over it eventually. Wasn't there a time he also took Reagan to task?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

I also remember that Captain after WW2 and through he 50s was that shithead Sean Hanniy would be proud of, until Marvel revealed that he wasn't the real Captain. The Real Captain America was frozen after the war. Which led to the story that those panels are from.
Kind of. Those panels are from a What If? where cap was frozen even longer so the fake cap had free reign to set up literal concentration camps for black people and what not. The story is about right wing nativism taken to it's natural conclusion.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

icantfindaname posted:

Silent Majority, remember

also, he's probably fans of the musicians in question, and therefore refuses to believe that they would disagree with him on politics and it must be the evil record execs doing this

I'll take this time to remind you that Paul Ryan said in 2012 that he was a big fan of Rage Against the Machine, to which Tom Morello wrote an article in Rolling Stone saying "Paul Ryan is part of the machine we rage against."

Source: Tom Morello's Article

Paint Crop Pro fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 19, 2015

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

OxySnake posted:

I'll take this time to remind you that Paul Ryan said in 2012 that he was a big fan of Rage Against the Machine, to which Tom Morello wrote an article in Rolling Stone saying "Paul Ryan is part of the machine we rage against."

I love this article because it perfectly encapsulates the delusion of the current GOP. Also, its a pretty good gently caress you directed at a reprehensible individual.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Klaus88 posted:

I love this article because it perfectly encapsulates the delusion of the current GOP.

I thought Paul Ryan's weight lifting photoshoot did that for us.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Klaus88 posted:

I love this article because it perfectly encapsulates the delusion of the current GOP. Also, its a pretty good gently caress you directed at a reprehensible individual.

Love all the comments that are "he has money therefore his opinion is worthless" since those types obviously really care about what poor people have to say.

Also the people complaining about how much he does or doesn't give to charity to defend the dude that almost got a food kitchen shut down because of a nakedly political and unapproved photo shoot.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 19, 2015

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Obdicut posted:

Again, it's not. It's because he personifies classy, smart badassery.

Why do you believe that it's because he's black?

Or, what TastyPotato said.

I think it'd be a waste of Elba's talents and I have no idea why people think he should be James Bond. Elba is good at playing physically imposing characters with a deep, conflicted inner life. He's really good at playing reserved intelligence and inner conflict. James Bond is kind of a shallow character, whose whole schtick is not taking things very seriously.

Even his physicality seems wrong to me. He's 6 foot 3 inches tall and strong. James Bond isn't supposed to win because he's stronger than everyone else or bigger than them, he's supposed to win because he's clever and good at improvising.

I'm sure he could do it, but I have no idea why people think he should.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I just want to see a full length Luther film and Elba as Bond seems the closest we'll get to that.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

But where's the whack?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Periodiko posted:

I think it'd be a waste of Elba's talents and I have no idea why people think he should be James Bond. Elba is good at playing physically imposing characters with a deep, conflicted inner life. He's really good at playing reserved intelligence and inner conflict. James Bond is kind of a shallow character, whose whole schtick is not taking things very seriously.

Even his physicality seems wrong to me. He's 6 foot 3 inches tall and strong. James Bond isn't supposed to win because he's stronger than everyone else or bigger than them, he's supposed to win because he's clever and good at improvising.

I think it is because he seems like he could out Daniel Craig Dan himself. Also Craig doesn't seem to be enjoying it very much and Elba seems generally more jolly and might enjoy being Bond a bit more, which could lead to better movies.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
I had no idea the John Birch Society still existed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W52bBZSB9KA

Their communications director has a very smug face.

Also, they have movie reviews.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/reviews/movies/item/19593-mockingjay-part-1-the-empire-strikes-back-of-the-hunger-games-series

quote:

The latest and third big-screen installment of the Hunger Games films, The Mockingjay Part One, is a well-produced and entertaining blockbuster guaranteed to make a bundle of cash at the box office, even if the ending leaves the viewer hanging in the same manner as Star Wars' The Empire Strikes Back.

Well, the title does say “Part One.”

The film is engaging, full of action sequences packed with digital special effects, and competently acted by a talented cast that includes Jennifer Lawrence (one Oscar) and Julianne Moore (two Emmys).

The Mockingjay picks up where the second film left off, with teenaged Katniss Everdeen (Lawrence) being rescued from the lethal “Hunger Games” that were orchestrated by the cruel Capitol government and its oozingly evil President Coriolanus Snow (Donald Sutherland). In the Hunger Games, two children from each of the 12 districts in the nation of Panem are required to kill each other, with the lone survivor becoming a “Champion.”
ULINE Shipping Supplies
Huge Catalog! Over 30,000 Products. Same Day Shipping from 11 Locations
https://www.uline.com

Katniss wakes to find that “District 13” — which the Capitol has assured people had ceased to exist in a nuclear war 75 years earlier — is still active and armed, and ready to strike back against the Capitol. As a past “Champion,” Katniss is recruited to become a propaganda symbol of the revolution against the Capitol. Amidst a love triangle between Katniss, Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson) and Gayle Hawthorne (Liam Hemsworth), Katniss is initially reluctant to assist in the revolution, since she does not want her involvement to jeopardize Peeta, who is still a prisoner of the Capitol and is being forced to make propaganda films for the central government.

But she does want to see her home District 12, and a trip is arranged. What she finds is desolation, as the government's bombers have killed every living thing they could find there. Upon her return to District 13, Katniss partners with District 13's President Alma Coin (Julianne Moore) and becomes the Mockingjay — the symbol for the revolution. But the fearless heroine wants to do more than appear in propaganda films. She eventually tells Coin:

Katniss: I want to go.
President Coin: And if you get killed?
Katniss: Just make sure you get it on camera.

The dystopian science fiction series is based upon the well-written Hunger Games book trilogy by Suzanne Collins, one of the few women who have hit the big time with science fiction writing. By putting women in lead roles in the series, she's effectively lifted the sci-fi genre beyond the stereotypical teenage male. The Mockingjay Part One will cash a lot of tickets from young women who have become enamored with Lawrence's “Katniss Everdeen.” For example, Collins got a share of the $11 from my 15-year-old daughter's ticket.

The Mockingjay is an unambiguously anti-statist film. The “Capitol” region and the insidiously evil President Snow are almost over-the-top nefarious, but even the friendly District 13 is run as a military camp, complete with Maoist-era uniforms.

Katniss' involvement, captured on film and broadcast throughout the districts, inspires the growing revolution. In addition, there's Katniss' insistence on rescuing Peeta. But don't expect closure in this film. It teases the Part Two installment that is expected to be released next year — a final installment which will probably even best the respectable estimated $55 million grossed by Mockingjay: Part One on opening night.

But I was willing to tolerate Han Solo being frozen in carbonite in The Empire Strikes Back, so I can wait to see Katniss finish her revolution. The Mockingjay was the least-entertaining of Collins' three-book trilogy, but it was still pretty good. And the same goes for this film. Collins and her Hollywood collaborators want you to, as the propaganda film Katniss made for District 13 says:

Join the Mockingjay!
Join the Fight!

Okay, count me in.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

OxySnake posted:

That isn't unique to America.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah quite a few British bands have gotten annoyed when our polticians use their songs. They don't kick up much of a fuss though, because like all British they're milquetoast cowards.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Nckdictator posted:

I had no idea the John Birch Society still existed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W52bBZSB9KA

Their communications director has a very smug face.

Also, they have movie reviews.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/reviews/movies/item/19593-mockingjay-part-1-the-empire-strikes-back-of-the-hunger-games-series

Calling the book version of Mockingjay "pretty good" is one of the biggest lies in the whole thread.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Periodiko posted:

Because he'd possibly transform the role, which has the possibility of being one about inner conflict, and it hasn't been about him not taking things very seriously for the last two Bonds. Also even though he's a big person bullets would still hurt him, so I'm not sure why you're making a big deal about the size stuff.

Coohoolin posted:

I just want to see a full length Luther film and Elba as Bond seems the closest we'll get to that.

I would just like Luther to continue forever.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
If Elba was like 500 lbs of solid muscle I could see the complaint that he's too strong looking, but he's not really build enough for that to be a problem. Not saying he's weak or looks like a wimp, but he's not nearly built enough to be too strong to get slapped around by the big bad's 500 lbs of solid muscle henchmen.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Loosely related to Sam Wilson Captain America fighting racists, Anthony Mackie, the actor playing Sam in the movies seems to have just endorsed Donald Trump. :ughh:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ToastyPotato posted:

Loosely related to Sam Wilson Captain America fighting racists, Anthony Mackie, the actor playing Sam in the movies seems to have just endorsed Donald Trump. :ughh:
He wants the republicans to lose obviously

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Zeroisanumber posted:

That isn't unique to America.

Amazing. Didn't know Marr said that. Where's the bit where Paul weller got mad at Cameron as he talked about liking the song Eton rifles.
Edit here it is

http://m.digitalspy.com/music/news/a643949/paul-weller-shoots-down-david-cameron-again-over-the-eton-rifles.html#~prBcIjffjrY6MK

MasterControl fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 19, 2015

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

is he conservative? also i read somewhere chris pratt was conservative.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
IIRC Chris Pratt had a video of him and his kid doing the pledge, and it was a massive Facebook hit for like 2 weeks.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Chris Pratt was in Seal Team 6 so of course he hates Obama.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Womp womp

https://www.scribd.com/document_dow.../7fAwoYBVgT/w2Y

Judge threw out Chuck Johnson's 111 page screed

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Womp womp

https://www.scribd.com/document_dow.../7fAwoYBVgT/w2Y

good.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

quote:

Plaintiffs’ motion for leave to file in excess of the page limitation will be denied. Plaintiffs
must have not actually poo poo on the carpet in a college dormitory (Doc. 14) along with Special Motion
to Strike (Doc. 20), and must submit separate memoranda in support of claim against said floor making GBS threads.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 19, 2015

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The name is Bond. James Token Bond.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

ToastyPotato posted:

He says it's because Trump "worked himself up from nothing".

Should we tell him...?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Hermetic posted:

He says it's because Trump "worked himself up from nothing".

Should we tell him...?

He's old enough that if he is honestly spouting poo poo like that then he has already drank the kool aid.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

To be fair, to the class of people that Trump now counts himself as living among, a $250 million net worth probably is considered to be almost nothing

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

quote:

Anthony Mackie ‏@AnthonyMackie 4 hours ago
Sorry Donald, that wasn’t an endorsement. Just a bad attempt at a joke, I guess?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Well that is a relief.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Just once before my death I'd like to see this forum just say "that cartoon space robot bird is played by a guy who is a Republican. I disagree with him there, but he's a fine space bird" and be done with it.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

BiggerBoat posted:

Man, he's set himself a really high bar there. And anyone who says they've never lied is, well, a liar.

edit: As an aside, fro as much as these yahoos go on about Obama being like Hitler, it seems strange they'd worship someone like Donald Trump.

Wait, wouldn't saying that you've never been caught lying imply that you have, in fact, lied? Clearly we need a House Committee to investigate this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Just once before my death I'd like to see this forum just say "that cartoon space robot bird is played by a guy who is a Republican. I disagree with him there, but he's a fine space bird" and be done with it.

What are you referring to?