Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Review re-link for new page.

3 hours extra battery life in their test on the 6P over the 6. That and the fingerprint sensor are pretty tempting to upgrade a year early. I likely won't, but the 6's battery life is like an hour shy of what I'd want most of the time. So bumping that up some would be nice. Lack of wireless charging is still a bummer, albeit not a huge one.

Ars posted:

Anorexic 8mm and 7.5mm bodies could have been expanded to fit more battery. The thinness war is dumb.

So very true. The 6 is 10mm thick, and it's perfectly fine. Have no idea how much extra battery they could fit in if they added that bit of extra thickness, but it would have been the better way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

:firstpost:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

BottleKnight posted:

e: that notification LED in the speaker grill of the 5X is classy.
Number one reason to get the 5X over the 6P.

DemonMage posted:

So very true. The 6 is 10mm thick, and it's perfectly fine. Have no idea how much extra battery they could fit in if they added that bit of extra thickness, but it would have been the better way to go.
Then again, I have a thick Lumia 930 and it still has a poo poo battery.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 19, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Looks like two solid devices. Not seeing anything that would have made me buy one of these over my Pure, but it's good to know there's an affordable new Nexus out there again.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I love my Z3 but the 5X looks amazing

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Android Police have put up their initial impressions of the 5X and 6P also:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/10/19/nexus-5x-review-preview-plastic-fantastic/
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/10/19/nexus-6p-review-preview-so-far-its-everything-id-hoped/

Reading these and the Ars reviews, man I'm really excited to get my 5X now. Holy poo poo we're actually getting good cameras and stuff at reasonable prices on Nexuses?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

bull3964 posted:

Looks like two solid devices. Not seeing anything that would have made me buy one of these over my Pure, but it's good to know there's an affordable new Nexus out there again.

Cool

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

Basically my view on it. I really like the bamboo back on my Pure but all else equal I'd have a really hard time choosing between the two. The fingerprint sensor would be a nice addition and I think it's going to be a must-have on my next phone but it's a bit like having NFC back in like 2012-2013, the ecosystem hasn't caught up with it but it's the Nexuses that drive that sort of thing. The chop-chop flashlight function is crazy useful in my old, dark, cat-filled house. Light switch at one end of the hallway, bedroom at the other, and a meowing challenge course in between.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The Engadget review of the 6p mentioned lack of SD card enough times I thought he was trying to trigger this thread

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
According to the Play Store my 5x has shipped. The anticipation...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FAUXTON posted:

Basically my view on it. I really like the bamboo back on my Pure but all else equal I'd have a really hard time choosing between the two. The fingerprint sensor would be a nice addition and I think it's going to be a must-have on my next phone but it's a bit like having NFC back in like 2012-2013, the ecosystem hasn't caught up with it but it's the Nexuses that drive that sort of thing. The chop-chop flashlight function is crazy useful in my old, dark, cat-filled house. Light switch at one end of the hallway, bedroom at the other, and a meowing challenge course in between.

Yeah, I just don't have a ton of utility for a fingerprint sensor at this point. I have a wear device so I'm always smart unlocked and I don't use Android Pay because NFC enabled payments are still rarer than hen's teeth around here (plus my primary card, Captial One, still hasn't rolled out support). I would say 98% of my retail purchases are at the local grocery store and Target and neither accept NFC payments yet.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

quote:

If you're buying an Android device and want the fastest updates, the longest update support time, the best security program, zero crapware, the best software design, a cohesive app ecosystem, and the latest features from Google, you need to buy a Nexus. Every other Android phone pales in comparison to the Nexus 5X and 6P.

I wish Ars wasn't so wishy-washy.

I thought there was some difference like OIS (or something I forget what exactly) between the 5x and 6P cameras, but I didn't see Ars mentioning anything about that.

bull3964 posted:

(plus my primary card, Captial One, still hasn't rolled out support).

Install the Capital One Wallet app. They just added NFC payments support through it. Of course, they're little babies so it doesn't use Android Pay, but it works the same.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 19, 2015

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Jota posted:

According to the Play Store my 5x has shipped. The anticipation...

Did you have upgraded shipping or anything?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I thought there was some difference like OIS (or something I forget what exactly) between the 5x and 6P cameras, but I didn't see Ars mentioning anything about that.

The 6P has EIS and the 5X has no stabilization.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Pretty sure neither have OIS, which people were worried about, and Google said the sensors get enough light that shutter speed is super fast and OIS wouldn't help much. So far, that seems to be true, going by reviews that I've seen.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

The 6P has EIS and the 5X has no stabilization.

Plus the 6P has 240fps slowmo and burst mode, while the 5X has 120fps slowmo and no burst mode.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

It's EIS and it only applies to videos, not photos. Neither have OIS. EIS is generally kind of meh anyway so it probably doesn't matter much.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

Install the Capital One Wallet app. They just added NFC payments support through it. Of course, they're little babies so it doesn't use Android Pay, but it works the same.

I still don't really have a ton of motivation to since I really can't use it anywhere I shop.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I just don't have a ton of utility for a fingerprint sensor at this point. I have a wear device so I'm always smart unlocked and I don't use Android Pay because NFC enabled payments are still rarer than hen's teeth around here (plus my primary card, Captial One, still hasn't rolled out support). I would say 98% of my retail purchases are at the local grocery store and Target and neither accept NFC payments yet.

I love Smart Unlock but if I keepass2android gets fingerprint unlock then that alone would be worth it

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Red Warrior posted:

Did you have upgraded shipping or anything?

Just normal shipping, although FedEx tracking says the anticipated delivery is Wednesday

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
God, Engadget reviews turned to poo poo since the last time I actively looked at that page. Pretty much the only downside to the 6P that I can see is it's kind of ugly on the back. Anything else is personal preference poo poo like Wireless Charging which would have been cool and he shits all over the camera even though based on pictures it's probably top 2 or 3 on the market and slays what I assume is his perfect phone, the iphone 6S +.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Red Warrior posted:

Android Police have put up their initial impressions of the 5X and 6P also:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/10/19/nexus-5x-review-preview-plastic-fantastic/
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/10/19/nexus-6p-review-preview-so-far-its-everything-id-hoped/

Reading these and the Ars reviews, man I'm really excited to get my 5X now. Holy poo poo we're actually getting good cameras and stuff at reasonable prices on Nexuses?

I have a Nexus 5 now and kind of want a new phone. Is only 2MB in the 5X anything to be concerned about? None of the reviews seem to even comment about it, but it's the main point that has kept me from pre-ordering.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Boywunda posted:

I have a Nexus 5 now and kind of want a new phone. Is only 2MB in the 5X anything to be concerned about? None of the reviews seem to even comment about it, but it's the main point that has kept me from pre-ordering.

Is it a problem for you now? The N5 has the same amount of RAM, same screen resolution and same Android version, so multitasking performance should be more or less identical on the N5X.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

repiv posted:

Is it a problem for you now? The N5 has the same amount of RAM, same screen resolution and same Android version, so multitasking performance should be more or less identical on the N5X.

The N5 on Android 6.0 seems better, but prior to flashing, I was getting constant home screen redrawing and occasional app slowness. Right now, it seems pretty snappy. Overall I'm really happy with the N5, so I am actual content with it. Just the geek in me wants to try something newer and better. I guess I could shell out the extra cash for the 6P, as size doesn't matter to me. Honestly, I really really wanted the Pure, but it's not available in Canada. SO now I'm trying to figure out if I should get something else, or just stick the my N5.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

thebushcommander posted:

God, Engadget reviews turned to poo poo since the last time I actively looked at that page. Pretty much the only downside to the 6P that I can see is it's kind of ugly on the back. Anything else is personal preference poo poo like Wireless Charging which would have been cool and he shits all over the camera even though based on pictures it's probably top 2 or 3 on the market and slays what I assume is his perfect phone, the iphone 6S +.

I like when people call him out on it and he says "it's still a really good camera just not the best!" and then they point out he put it in the con

I mean I get what he's trying to say but it reminded me of why I stopped reading Verge reviews. "This is the best Android smartphone ever!" <gets outscored by a previous Android phone from the same year>

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 19, 2015

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
When it comes to reviews I've found the best policy is to just scan all the major tech site reviews and see if any common complaints come up like "bad battery" or "bursts into flames upon power up".

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I've got a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact with 5.1.1 (23.4.A.1.232, if that's any use). I've noticed that sometimes when I tape a name in the dialler, it will take 5-6 seconds to actually start the call. Is this a Sony-only problem, or is it Android generally? Any solutions?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I've got a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact with 5.1.1 (23.4.A.1.232, if that's any use). I've noticed that sometimes when I tape a name in the dialler, it will take 5-6 seconds to actually start the call. Is this a Sony-only problem, or is it Android generally? Any solutions?

I've had this problem on my 2013 Moto X ever since it got Lollipop.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

IIRC, the 6P does more (better) HDR processing because of perf reasons.

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:
My 6P preorder changed from the nebulous "ships in 2-3 weeks" to "Leaves the warehouse by November 2nd." It's still showing an estimated arrival of November 3rd or 4th, but my Chromecast said October 14th when I bought it on the 1st, and I wound up getting it on the 5th. Here's hoping.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
So, I got a Project Fi invite today (me and everybody else), and am planning on getting a Nexus 5X and switching from the T-Mobile Dork Plan to Project Fi (because I am a Google whore).

I'm thinking I should probably port the number to Google Voice, since I'm porting it anyway, and that just seems like a great way to go, especially since I know they brought in MMS support last year. Are there any other downsides I should be aware of? Most of the "pros and cons" articles I've found were written at least a couple of years ago.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah I would also like to know more about Project Fi and if it is just another half-baked Google thing or not.

Voice works fine with MMS and group texts now. I'm not sure why I still have it though. It was useful when I had the T-Mobile nerd plan and could make calls from my PC, but I have unlimited everything now. And it was useful when I was in the mountains without T-Mobile service and could use it to call over wifi, but T-Mobile does wifi calling. I'm not entirely sure using Voice is a hindrance since all of the texts go over data.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'll dogpile on that as well, since I also got a Fi invite today and was already looking at buying a 6p regardless, so crossposting from the Verizon thread:

Is there any pressing reason to stay with Verizon over Fi, considering I would save a bunch of money, live in a major metropolitan area, get to keep my number, and was going to buy a Google phone regardless? I know the phone can be used on Verizon if ultimately Fi craps out, but I'm scared of change :ohdear:

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Thanatosian posted:

I'm thinking I should probably port the number to Google Voice, since I'm porting it anyway, and that just seems like a great way to go, especially since I know they brought in MMS support last year. Are there any other downsides I should be aware of? Most of the "pros and cons" articles I've found were written at least a couple of years ago.

I haven't gone through with it since I don't have the phone yet but when I clicked around after getting a Fi invite a couple weeks ago the first thing it warned me was that I'd be giving up my Google Voice number.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Red Warrior posted:

I haven't gone through with it since I don't have the phone yet but when I clicked around after getting a Fi invite a couple weeks ago the first thing it warned me was that I'd be giving up my Google Voice number.

I thought it gave you a choice of using your Voice number or a different number. You would only lose your Voice number if you chose not to use it on Fi.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'll dogpile on that as well, since I also got a Fi invite today and was already looking at buying a 6p regardless, so crossposting from the Verizon thread:

Is there any pressing reason to stay with Verizon over Fi, considering I would save a bunch of money, live in a major metropolitan area, get to keep my number, and was going to buy a Google phone regardless? I know the phone can be used on Verizon if ultimately Fi craps out, but I'm scared of change :ohdear:

Data is very expensive on Fi. Cricket offers 5GB for $45 a month where as that would cost $70/month on Fi. Upside on Fi is if you sometimes use less you'll pay less.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
You can't have Project Fi and Google voice on the same google account. Either your Google Voice number becomes your Project Fi number or you lose your google voice number.

You can port your google voice number to a second google account though, but you can't forward Fi to Google Voice or Google Voice to Fi.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/3527591?hl=en

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I sync podcasts over mobile data but on the other hand I'm grandfathered into the 20GB/$55 plan with Cricket and T-Mobile isn't really that great in my city. As cool as Fi looks, I'd be eating a huge bill increase switching, on top of needing to buy a Nexus phone.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

uPen posted:

Data is very expensive on Fi. Cricket offers 5GB for $45 a month where as that would cost $70/month on Fi. Upside on Fi is if you sometimes use less you'll pay less.

Not really concerned about data. Never really use more than 2GB off of WiFi. So my Fi bill would put me at roughly $40 before taxes (compared to the $75 before taxes I'm onThe details that I put in the Verizon thread are below. I'd save roughly $40/mo switching over to Fi overall from what I'm currently on, which is great, but will be worthless if Fi just doesn't work.

"I've been a lifelong Verizon customer, I'm on the expired Nationwide with grandfathered unlimited but that's coming to an end. I really want the new 6p and looking at the new Verizon plans, I'd be using the "M" plan since I use about ~2G/mo when I'm off Wi-Fi. On a whim, I put my name in for Project Fi and was instantly invited. Looking at the prices, I'd be saving $15-$25 more over the "M" plan and get to keep my number if I go over to Fi. Going from my old plan to M would save me roughly $15/mo over my current plan, and Fi would save me $15-25 more over that, but I'm so used to Verizon coverage. Then again I'm in NYC so coverage really hasn't been an issue for anyone."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
If someone gets their shipping information for their 5x, can you post where the parcel originated?