Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Lexicon posted:

How would that work, pray tell?

>Government builds housing
>Government gives housing to population
>Population is now free from the crippling terror of homelessness
>Population can direct capital and energy towards loftier pursuits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rime posted:

>Government builds housing
>Government gives housing to population
>Population is now free from the crippling terror of homelessness
>Population can direct capital and energy towards loftier pursuits

>Due to NIMBYs, all new housing is a 20 minute drive from city center

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

computer parts posted:

Central Planning only takes local community input in written form after filling out the correct paper work and collecting the correct stamps and the feedback is not read, only officially received and filed away.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
You guys :allears:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

computer parts posted:

20 mins? Such luxury! :swoon:

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lexicon posted:

How would that work, pray tell?

Imagine four houses on the edge of a cliff... except that also explains the current situation too.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

Holy cow that's amazing. No wonder prices are so high in Stockholm. Do swedes not have a tradition of passing down property to the next generation?

We do, kinda, but its not like it would matter when Stockholm is growing at the pace it is.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Freezer posted:

Just read the article and had the same reaction. This is pretty much renting from the bank with a contract to buy at a fixed price if you so wish, without the nasty landlord nuisances. Also, the banks eat all the inflation risk (granted, not much of that in Sweden). The world of 0%ish interest rates is pretty weird.

Also "buying" means not actually owning the apartment, but having a share in a housing cooperative. Including their debt.

And if the cooperative goes bust...

Not usually a problem, but there's a couple cooperatives with like 60 000 sek/kvm in debt. So you are basically paying several million SEK to buy into almost as much additional debt.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

http://www.financialpost.com/m/wp/b...0-in-income-tax

How a couple with a net worth of $10 million and annual income of $215,000 can pay $0 in income tax

Now, before you protest in front of their home, it is worth keeping a few things in mind.

Tom and Mary have paid a lot of taxes in their working years. They clearly made good incomes in order to attain the wealth that they have, and because they didnt get aggressive with tax planning, every year they would have been paying a good percentage of their income in taxes.

In addition, just because Tom and Mary are paying $0 in income taxes in 2015 doesnt mean that they will be able to do this for too much longer. They have several tax issues coming up in the years ahead.

These include their $900,000 of combined RRSPs, which they will need to begin drawing down after age 71, and it would likely make sense for them to draw some money down sooner than that. They will be paying some level of tax on all of that $900,000.

Dont be mad we pay no tax. Reform the tax code and jail these people and investment advisors.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

quote:

Tom and Mary work with an investment counsellor who charges a one per cent fee on their investment assets. Of this fee, the amount that covers the taxable account is fully tax-deductible. As a result, they can each deduct the $20,000 of investment counselling fees from their taxes. They also receive some tax related and planning advice from the investment counsellor.

... what.

Oh, I see:

quote:

1. Paragraph 20(1)(bb) allows a taxpayer to deduct fees, other than commissions, paid for advice on buying or selling a specific share or security by the taxpayer or for the administration or the management of the shares or securities of the taxpayer. The fees must be paid to a person whose principal business is advising others whether to buy or sell specific shares or whose principal business includes the administration or management of shares or securities. A person is defined in subsection 248(1) to include any body corporate and politic.

2. Provided the amounts are reasonable, the total fees paid will be deductible even though, in the case of a trust administering shares or securities, part or all of the fees may have been charged to the capital account of the trust. Investment counsel fees paid to unrelated persons will be considered to be reasonable for purposes of section 67 and will be wholly deductible from income. Such fees paid to related persons will be deductible only to the extent that they are reasonable. In determining whether a fee is reasonable, the amount of time spent and the type of work done by the person providing the advice or service will be taken into consideration.

3. Fees paid for other types of advice such as general financial counselling or planning are not within the provisions of paragraph 20(1)(bb) even though the principal business of the advisor or counsellor otherwise qualifies. Also, where the principal business of the person providing the service does not meet the requirements specified in 1 above, fees paid for advice on buying or selling a specific share or security of the taxpayer or for the administration of the shares or securities of the taxpayer are not deductible under paragraph 20(1)(bb).

Why does this exist? Why is general financial counselling not deductible, but specific advice to buy shares is?

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 17, 2015

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

eXXon posted:

Tom and Mary work with an investment counsellor who charges a one per cent fee on their investment assets. Of this fee, the amount that covers the taxable account is fully tax-deductible. As a result, they can each deduct the $20,000 of investment counselling fees from their taxes. They also receive some tax related and planning advice from the investment counsellor.

That's the part I don't understand. "deduct the $20,000 of investment counselling fees from their taxes" isn't the same as "tax deductible". They should be able to deduct 20k each from their taxable income, not their total income tax owing right?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Freezer posted:

Just read the article and had the same reaction. This is pretty much renting from the bank with a contract to buy at a fixed price if you so wish, without the nasty landlord nuisances. Also, the banks eat all the inflation risk (granted, not much of that in Sweden). The world of 0%ish interest rates is pretty weird.

Yeah, with the tenant taking on responsibility for maintenance/repairs, so if they keep it in nice shape they can potentially profit down the road if it inflates in value. How wacky.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

eXXon posted:

... what.

Oh, I see:

Why does this exist? Why is general financial counselling not deductible, but specific advice to buy shares is?

The entire shareholding system is entirely broken from top to loving bottom, and this is just one of the many symptoms of it.

As an aside, I've discovered something interesting about manufacturing in Canada:

1. There are no low-end full time manufacturing jobs, these are largely farmed out to temp agencies who in turn farm them out to TFW's. This is why you don't see assembly line work show up on craigslist anymore, ever.

2. I'm too tired, gently caress it, I'll continue this tomorrow.

Rime fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 17, 2015

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005
Hate to go off topic, but is the Canada politics thread still around somewhere? I don't see it at all.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

asmallrabbit posted:

Hate to go off topic, but is the Canada politics thread still around somewhere? I don't see it at all.

It got moved to the election subforum.

You should bookmark it and access it from User Control Panel.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Brannock posted:

It got moved to the election subforum.

You should bookmark it and access it from User Control Panel.

And then only rarely read it because the amount of posting in that thread is way too fast to keep up without a non-trivial time investment throughout the day

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
B'yes the 6/49 is at $64 million right now. It would cost $42 million to purchase one of each possible 6/49 ticket, guaranteeing a win plus ~40 second place prizes, nearly 2000 third place prizes and countless $5/$10 winners. Who wants in?

I might be tempted to play if I were a .01%'er, just to troll the public on the greatest lotto win ever*.

Still, the fact the jackpot value exceeds the cost of a guaranteed jackpot win means the payoff/risk ratio are actually pretty good as far as lottos go.

(*followed by a split jackpot and massive losses)

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 18, 2015

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

A split jackpot is almost guaranteed at 64m. Although maybe people don't care like they used to?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I hear that you're making Jews second class citizens, C/D?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/10/rob-ford-book-drugs-alcohol-213259

quote:

The Mayor Is A Fing Addict!

Rob Fords former chief of staff dishes the inside story of the Toronto mayors decline and fall.

By Mark Towhey and Johanna Schneller

October 17, 2015

Aww hell yeah

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

EngineerJoe posted:

A split jackpot is almost guaranteed at 64m. Although maybe people don't care like they used to?

It didn't go; if some enterprising multi-millionaire had made my bet they would have won it all.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Remember folks: whatever happens tomorrow, Housing Uber Alles.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Cornerstone of the Canadian economy. If you hate the housing bubble you literally hate Canada.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Are non-landowners allowed to vote?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Are non-landowners allowed to vote?

Yes, and landowner non-citizens are excluded (which is pretty great, if you ask me).

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Vancouver bus ad I saw this morning.

In this case, your free* iphone 6 means 1.7 million dollars ammortized over 30 years.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

computer parts posted:

20 minutes from city center? poo poo, that's practically an inner city neighborhood in Calgary. I grew up in a suburb at least half an hour out, and that wasn't even close to as bad as it got.

My pet theory is that my generation (80's-00's) is vastly more interested in inner city living than the one before it because we grew up as kids of parents in the suburbs and realized exactly how lovely it was. Shame about the whole prices thing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

attackmole posted:

20 minutes from city center? poo poo, that's practically an inner city neighborhood in Calgary. I grew up in a suburb at least half an hour out, and that wasn't even close to as bad as it got.

My pet theory is that my generation (80's-00's) is vastly more interested in inner city living than the one before it because we grew up as kids of parents in the suburbs and realized exactly how lovely it was. Shame about the whole prices thing.

I think our parents are figuring it out too. My folks are selling their place in the suburbs to move downtown. I think the fascination with suburbia was just a long-lasting shared delusion.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
How big is Canada on exit polls?

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ufarn posted:

How big is Canada on exit polls?

Informal at best.

You cannot talk about the results until all the polls are closed anyways, so they serve no purpose.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Tipps posted:

In this case, your free* iphone 6 means 1.7 million dollars ammortized over 30 years.

What is this

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

heeheex2 posted:

What is this

The opportunity of a lifetime to get a FREE iphone6 or samsung S6 if you sign up for a mortgage with iCare mortgages so you can buy your Yaletown dream home today!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tipps posted:

The opportunity of a lifetime to get a FREE iphone6 or samsung S6 if you sign up for a mortgage with iCare mortgages so you can buy your Yaletown dream home today!

My friend has a '$5000 ipod nano' because he signed up for a credit card on a whim for a free ipod, and proceeded to max it out. Still a great deal in comparison to this.

The nano is super out of date, cant hold a charge, and totally trashed but he keeps it on his mantle as a constant reminder of youthful stupidity.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

My friend has a '$5000 ipod nano' because he signed up for a credit card on a whim for a free ipod, and proceeded to max it out. Still a great deal in comparison to this.

The nano is super out of date, cant hold a charge, and totally trashed but he keeps it on his mantle as a constant reminder of youthful stupidity.

gently caress, that's a better deal than I've ever got for opening a credit card. You don't need to run up the balance, of course.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

PT6A posted:

gently caress, that's a better deal than I've ever got for opening a credit card. You don't need to run up the balance, of course.

Yeah, seriously!

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

ocrumsprug posted:

Informal at best.

You cannot talk about the results until all the polls are closed anyways, so they serve no purpose.

Didn't we get rid of that law since the last election?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Poizen Jam posted:

It didn't go; if some enterprising multi-millionaire had made my bet they would have won it all.

But someone did win so if someone else bought out the entire range of numbers then they would have split the jackpot...

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Tipps posted:

iPhone 6 and Samsung S6 aren't even the latest models, lol

Although I got jack poo poo with my mortgage so who's the sucker

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MorgaineDax posted:

Didn't we get rid of that law since the last election?

Yeah, apparently we did. Good thing I voted when polls opened so it didn't feel as much like a pointless exercise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
All hair Justin Trudeau, new God-Emperor of Canada.