Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

In Windows 7, how do you remove autocomplete entries in the start menu? I have a couple that are typos that sit at the very top and it's pretty annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
In Microsoft Edge on Windows 10, folders in a Favorites menu open in a sidebar on the right-hand side of the screen, rather than just expanding into a sub-menu like in every other browser I've ever used. Is there a way to make Edge behave in that way? Slinging my mouse across a large monitor takes far more time.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I just tried making a folder right now and putting two links in it, and they expanded below just as you'd expect. I didn't import any favorites from another browser though.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

URL grey tea posted:

Do you use CCleaner? Do you have this checked?

Edit: Can also try nuking C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer and then killing Explorer.exe and re-launching it (or rebooting)

I do not use CCleaner. I have tried deleting the .db files in \Explorer which didn't fix anything, but you are suggesting I delete the entire contents of the folder right?

I know people found a solution for Windows 7 to stop it from deleting the thumbnail cache, but apparently no solutions have been found with 8/8.1/10? I was hoping maybe some goon had found the secret and hadn't shared it yet.

EDIT: I've now tried method #2 per this guide including deleting the tasks, I'll see how it pans out. My HDD just might be bunk too.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 18, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I want to create small script that when run will create a scheduled task that runs one time in 350 days or so. But the SchTasks.exe utility seems to have some pretty limited options and my DOS-fu is weak.
Something like
code:
schtasks /Create /tn "Task Name" /tr C:\some\task\or\whatever.exe /sc DAILY /mo 350 /ed 01/01/2017 /Z 
ought to basically work, but there's a few problems.

- You can set a task to run once on a certain date, but trying to generate a "today + 350 days" date string in a batch file quickly gets to the "there has to be a better way to do this" level of complexity. Hence just setting it as a daily task that runs every 350 days (if you don't specify a start date it defaults to the current date, so first run for a /sc DAILY /mo N task is in N days) and has an expiry. The expiry date would have to be updated if this script were used for too long obviously. Again, difficult to generate a properly formatted "today + 1 year" date string using basic shell commands. This all feels kludgey and it would be nice to just be able to generate a MM/DD/YYYY string %D% = "today+350 days" that could be plugged into /sc once /sd %D%

- There appears to be no way to have the "Run the task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed" checkbox checked when creating a task using SchTasks.exe so that would have to be done manually in task scheduler.

Am I going about this completely the wrong way?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Entropic posted:

I want to create small script that when run will create a scheduled task that runs one time in 350 days or so. But the SchTasks.exe utility seems to have some pretty limited options and my DOS-fu is weak.
Something like
code:
schtasks /Create /tn "Task Name" /tr C:\some\task\or\whatever.exe /sc DAILY /mo 350 /ed 01/01/2017 /Z 
ought to basically work, but there's a few problems.

- You can set a task to run once on a certain date, but trying to generate a "today + 350 days" date string in a batch file quickly gets to the "there has to be a better way to do this" level of complexity. Hence just setting it as a daily task that runs every 350 days (if you don't specify a start date it defaults to the current date, so first run for a /sc DAILY /mo N task is in N days) and has an expiry. The expiry date would have to be updated if this script were used for too long obviously. Again, difficult to generate a properly formatted "today + 1 year" date string using basic shell commands. This all feels kludgey and it would be nice to just be able to generate a MM/DD/YYYY string %D% = "today+350 days" that could be plugged into /sc once /sd %D%

- There appears to be no way to have the "Run the task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed" checkbox checked when creating a task using SchTasks.exe so that would have to be done manually in task scheduler.

Am I going about this completely the wrong way?
Here's something you can steal from.

On the other hand, we're probably talking one line of Powershell, so look into that instead.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
My computer clock is an hour behind the actual time, and if I set it to the right time, it resets to the wrong time when I restart my computer. Any ideas for a fix?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Manic X posted:

My computer clock is an hour behind the actual time, and if I set it to the right time, it resets to the wrong time when I restart my computer. Any ideas for a fix?

Is your time-zone set correctly?

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

yes it's set as GMT (my timezone) and the date is correct, so I'm at a loss.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Manic X posted:

If you click on the clock in the taskbar and then "change date and time settings", does it say something about daylight savings time that makes sense of this?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Going to be building a new PC soon, which means prepping the old Windows 7 one to be sold off. In years past this has usually meant DBANing the hard drives and re-installing Windows with the original disc & product key, but I'm wondering/assuming by now there might be an easier or more elegant way to accomplish this. Somehow create a installation disk/USB or something that already has the various SPs and other Windows updates on it and thus not need a huge download update upon re-installation.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Nate RFB posted:

Going to be building a new PC soon, which means prepping the old Windows 7 one to be sold off. In years past this has usually meant DBANing the hard drives and re-installing Windows with the original disc & product key, but I'm wondering/assuming by now there might be an easier or more elegant way to accomplish this. Somehow create a installation disk/USB or something that already has the various SPs and other Windows updates on it and thus not need a huge download update upon re-installation.
I am in the same boat, except giving my 2500K box to Mrs. Slidebite, but I want to make it basically a clean install. I am prepared to do a wipe and re-install, but it would be nice not having to.

Related to this, I am going to be building a new, probably Skylake box.

Should I just suck it up and buy WinX or is 8.1 prefered?

I did the WinX upgrade on my ancient old laptop and while it worked "OK" I cannot stand the forced updates. That's almost a deal-breaker for me if they aren't going to make that optional like 7 and 8.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Manic X posted:

Your time zone in the UK is not GMT at the moment, since you have Summer Time until the 25th over there.

In Windows 7 through 10, the time zone you should have set is "(UTC) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London" which will properly go back and forth between same as GMT/UTC from October to March, and then an hour ahead March to October. If you set it to plain UTC or "(UTC) Coordinated Universal Time" then it will not change correctly and would explain why it's an hour off now.

No idea what the naming is for Vista and earlier, if you're using those, but I checked this in 7 and 10.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

Thanks my friend you fixed my problem!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

slidebite posted:

I am in the same boat, except giving my 2500K box to Mrs. Slidebite, but I want to make it basically a clean install. I am prepared to do a wipe and re-install, but it would be nice not having to.

Related to this, I am going to be building a new, probably Skylake box.

Should I just suck it up and buy WinX or is 8.1 prefered?

I did the WinX upgrade on my ancient old laptop and while it worked "OK" I cannot stand the forced updates. That's almost a deal-breaker for me if they aren't going to make that optional like 7 and 8.

Yes you should suck it up.

Updates are tied with user competence for most important factor in home computer security. (For enterprise systems, updates alone reign; user sequestration takes from user competence's pie, but you should still be hiring for competence otherwise what even is your personnel department doing.) Also you aren't going to get garbage like Skype or Silverlight through Windows Update anymore. I'm not HAPPY about stuff like Twitter or Candy Crush or whatever coming through the Store, but because of how Store packages are handled that's poo poo that happens once (per account, anyway). Drivers... well, drivers will always be a problem as long as they're distributed the same way as Windows Update and the Store are, but any Intel integrated GPU user will tell you that's hardly new even to Windows 7.

If it's any consolation, the interface side is going to be a lot more comfortable come Wave 2 next month-ish.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've been putting off upgrading to 10. Is it good to go now though? What's the best way to upgrade from 7?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Red_Fred posted:

I've been putting off upgrading to 10. Is it good to go now though? What's the best way to upgrade from 7?

No one will blame you if you wait for Wave 2. For new machines yes 10 now, but for existing Windows installations you've still got like nine months to commit.

Also the way to do it is the Media Creation Tool.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Wave 2? By media creation toll you mean clean install is best?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Red_Fred posted:

Wave 2? By media creation toll you mean clean install is best?

Wave 2 is what the first major update of Windows 10 will be in November or so.

Clean install won't activate you. You use the Media Creation Tool that Microsoft hands out to make Windows 10 ISOs and install from within Windows.

Why isn't that in the OP, univbee?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I have the latest Macbook Pro running Windows 8.1 via Boot Camp. I'm trying to install a program by DVD with this external DVD drive but it's taking forever to install this thing. I'm talking about the thing taking 5-10 seconds to install a 28 kb file (which there are thousands of). This has been installing for the last two hours and I feel like this thing should have done within minutes. I'm thinking that it may be quicker for me to just make an ISO of the thing and install it via USB but is there an easy way to do that on Windows? Everything I've searched comes up with making a bootable USB, which I don't need. I think there's copy protection if that matters. I would also just download the thing from the website but the manufacturer hasn't put up a download on their site because they're dumb as hell (the program is useless without hardware).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

keevo posted:

I have the latest Macbook Pro running Windows 8.1 via Boot Camp. I'm trying to install a program by DVD with this external DVD drive but it's taking forever to install this thing. I'm talking about the thing taking 5-10 seconds to install a 28 kb file (which there are thousands of). This has been installing for the last two hours and I feel like this thing should have done within minutes. I'm thinking that it may be quicker for me to just make an ISO of the thing and install it via USB but is there an easy way to do that on Windows? Everything I've searched comes up with making a bootable USB, which I don't need. I think there's copy protection if that matters. I would also just download the thing from the website but the manufacturer hasn't put up a download on their site because they're dumb as hell (the program is useless without hardware).

Is the DVD kinda beat up? Because what you're getting sounds like it is, so making an ISO out of it is also going to take forever.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Rip it and use something like daemon tools or wincdemu to make it a virtual cd drive. If its just the hordes of tiny files this should help, if the disc is beat up it won't do much.

edit: doesn't windows have something for mounting iso files built in now?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

thebigcow posted:

Rip it and use something like daemon tools or wincdemu to make it a virtual cd drive. If its just the hordes of tiny files this should help, if the disc is beat up it won't do much.

edit: doesn't windows have something for mounting iso files built in now?

Yes, just double-click the ISO, and it will mount automatically.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Still no word on media center coming back, even paid right? I'm holding off on upgrading my main PC to Windows 10 since along with my HDHomerun and Xbox it's my cable box. :(

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Medullah posted:

Still no word on media center coming back, even paid right? I'm holding off on upgrading my main PC to Windows 10 since along with my HDHomerun and Xbox it's my cable box. :(

Media center basically became the xbox one, I doubt it'll ever rear it's head again on PC.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

Is the DVD kinda beat up? Because what you're getting sounds like it is, so making an ISO out of it is also going to take forever.

Kind of. There are some scratches on it but nothing that looks really bad to me. I just asked for another copy of it from a friend and it's less beat up but they told me it also took them like 5-6 hours to install the program (THE ENTIRE THING IS 4 GIGS SO WHAT THE HELL). Looks like I just have to leave this thing on all night and hopefully it'll install before I wake up.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Medullah posted:

The word is that it's definitely not coming back.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

keevo posted:

Kind of. There are some scratches on it but nothing that looks really bad to me. I just asked for another copy of it from a friend and it's less beat up but they told me it also took them like 5-6 hours to install the program (THE ENTIRE THING IS 4 GIGS SO WHAT THE HELL). Looks like I just have to leave this thing on all night and hopefully it'll install before I wake up.

You could try copying the contents of the DVD to harddrive and install from there, unless the software has some kind of copy protection. The installer may just be using the DVD inefficiently.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Is it really that bad to run Win 7 in TYOOL 2015? Reading the Windows 10 thread seems to imply 7 is a festering virus dump but I think that is just the usual fanboyism. I love Windows 7, I like the look and DVD playback and Media Center. The only feature I can think of that I like about 10 is DirectX 12 but IMO that is too new to matter right now.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Medullah posted:

Microsoft is selling a DVD player in the Store which is free if you had Media Center and upgraded.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

There's always alternatives too, I guess. I've been running XBMC Kodi for a couple years now and it's pretty capable. I don't get into any kind of fancy use cases though, just movies and tv shows mostly.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
In Windows 8.1 on a tablet, is it possible to disable the "Search - Share - Start - Devices - Options" -menu that swipes in from the right? I'm locking down the tablet as a media player for my nephew and want to eliminate any possibility of him messing with or even getting to any of the settings. I've enabled family mode, but I'd like to disable access to the right Charm menu completely.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

mutata posted:

There's always alternatives too, I guess. I've been running XBMC Kodi for a couple years now and it's pretty capable. I don't get into any kind of fancy use cases though, just movies and tv shows mostly.

I've got Kodi and Plex, but unfortunately for live cable on the Xbox they just don't beat Media Center.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Saukkis posted:

You could try copying the contents of the DVD to harddrive and install from there, unless the software has some kind of copy protection. The installer may just be using the DVD inefficiently.

I ended up being able to copy it onto the desktop of another computer, transferred it onto my desktop, and it installed in less than five minutes (which is still super loving weird). I'll know for sure if everything installed properly in a couple of days but it looks like it's working. Thanks everyone.

8-Bit Dracula
Dec 31, 2007

I have a ASUS Zenbook running Win 10.

It's started auto-adjusting the brightness after I managed to turn it off a month ago, give or take.

I'ts disabled in the energy settings and in the Intel Graphics properties, no luck. Where else can I look? Googling hasn't helped me I'm afraid.

Thanks!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Crotch Fruit posted:

Is it really that bad to run Win 7 in TYOOL 2015? Reading the Windows 10 thread seems to imply 7 is a festering virus dump but I think that is just the usual fanboyism. I love Windows 7, I like the look and DVD playback and Media Center. The only feature I can think of that I like about 10 is DirectX 12 but IMO that is too new to matter right now.

Windows 7 is on extended support; if anything other than security issues or showstoppers happens it's not getting a visit.

If you have it, sure, feel free to use it. If you're building something and you need a new OS license, and you try to use Windows 7, at some point it's going to hurt.

NOTE: If your old computer used an OEM license (even a build-your-own) technically you're supposed to buy a new license for the new computer.

NOTE 2: A lot of motherboards and assembled computers being sold now have only USB 3.0 with no 2.0 fallback (it'll negotiate with your old 2.0 devices just fine, but it won't lie and say it's a 2.0 controller itself). On such a system the Windows 7 install media literally won't be able to read its own data off anything other than a SATA DVD drive after booting, because it doesn't know what USB 3.0 is. And between streaming/slimming/cost-cutting on assembled computers and people trimming the fat off their build-your-owns (for extreme examples see shoebox Sick Gaming Rigs and Intel NUC deployments for not-gaming people) SATA DVD drives are becoming somewhat uncommon.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 22, 2015

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Crotch Fruit posted:

It's not that bad, but honestly you're missing out on a lot. Windows 10 performs much better then 7, you'll notice your boot times are much better. Windows search isn't totally terrible anymore. When I use Windows 7 I miss the "right click on start menu"

Virtual desktops are great if that's your thing. Powershell performs much better. Cortana is pretty neat if your language is supported. Edge allows you to download Chrome or Firefox much faster than before. The new task manager is poo poo hot. If you have a touchscreen it is actually usable now. Finally, Hyper-V is pretty cool.

You can basically do all of that in Windows 7, with various applications and tweaks, so if you're happy with Windows 7 good for you. However you're going to have to learn a new OS eventually so you might as well start now.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Windows 7 is on extended support; if anything other than security issues or showstoppers happens it's not getting a visit.

If you have it, sure, feel free to use it. If you're building something and you need a new OS license, and you try to use Windows 7, at some point it's going to hurt.

NOTE: If your old computer used an OEM license (even a build-your-own) technically you're supposed to buy a new license for the new computer.

NOTE 2: A lot of motherboards and assembled computers being sold now have only USB 3.0 with no 2.0 fallback (it'll negotiate with your old 2.0 devices just fine, but it won't lie and say it's a 2.0 controller itself). On such a system the Windows 7 install media literally won't be able to read its own data off anything other than a SATA DVD drive after booting, because it doesn't know what USB 3.0 is. And between streaming/slimming/cost-cutting on assembled computers and people trimming the fat off their build-your-owns (for extreme examples see shoebox Sick Gaming Rigs and Intel NUC deployments for not-gaming people) SATA DVD drives are becoming somewhat uncommon.
My understanding of extended support was that it just meant there would be no new features, which honestly I cant remember them adding a lot of new features to Windows versions in the past. The most I can remember is poo poo like Windows Media Player updating to new version, although the version in 10 looks a hell of a lot like the version in 7. It has been about a month since I last signed into a Windows 10 machine so please correct me if I am wrong.

frogbert posted:

It's not that bad, but honestly you're missing out on a lot. Windows 10 performs much better then 7, you'll notice your boot times are much better. Windows search isn't totally terrible anymore. When I use Windows 7 I miss the "right click on start menu"

Virtual desktops are great if that's your thing. Powershell performs much better. Cortana is pretty neat if your language is supported. Edge allows you to download Chrome or Firefox much faster than before. The new task manager is poo poo hot. If you have a touchscreen it is actually usable now. Finally, Hyper-V is pretty cool.

You can basically do all of that in Windows 7, with various applications and tweaks, so if you're happy with Windows 7 good for you. However you're going to have to learn a new OS eventually so you might as well start now.
Gonna go blow by blow here. I don't mean to try to argue, you have a lot of valid points, but most of your points are things I don't use.

Faster boot would matter if I rebooted often but that alone is far from enough reason for me to want to upgrade. Search in 7 sucks balls, but I never used it enough in 10 to know that it is better. Right click start menu was kinda cool but when I was 10 I missed having a real, proper start menu and 1 single control panel instead of the split up control panel/setting menu system.

I don't care for virtual desktops or Powershell, Cortana is one of the reasons I wanted to leave Windows 10, Edge is just :eng99: (it has some neat features, but no extensions? WTF??? ) Task manager is nice but I hope to never see it, and touchscreens are useless on my triple monitor desktop machine.

I cant believe I'm even considering this, but my work does support Windows 8/8.1 and NOT Windows 10, so I might actually upgrade to 8.1 with a decent start menu replacement. The one feature that I actually want from 10 is the aero snap on multiple monitors. Currently, in 7, on a single monitor system you can snap a window to the left or right half of the screen. The way this translates to my multi monitor setup is I can snap to half of the far left screen, and half of the far right screen. . . Windows 10 allowed snapping to any half of all three monitors. Does 8.1 do this with multiple monitors? Is there an aftermarket solution to get this behavior in 7?

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Crotch Fruit posted:

I cant believe I'm even considering this, but my work does support Windows 8/8.1 and NOT Windows 10, so I might actually upgrade to 8.1 with a decent start menu replacement. The one feature that I actually want from 10 is the aero snap on multiple monitors. Currently, in 7, on a single monitor system you can snap a window to the left or right half of the screen. The way this translates to my multi monitor setup is I can snap to half of the far left screen, and half of the far right screen. . . Windows 10 allowed snapping to any half of all three monitors. Does 8.1 do this with multiple monitors? Is there an aftermarket solution to get this behavior in 7?

In that case I'd say you'd be much better served by using windows 10 with classic shell. In my opinion Windows 10 is the Windows 7 to Windows 8.1's Vista.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

frogbert posted:

In that case I'd say you'd be much better served by using windows 10 with classic shell. In my opinion Windows 10 is the Windows 7 to Windows 8.1's Vista.

But my job simply will not allow me to run 10, too much of the software is not compatible yet.