Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Idiootti
Apr 11, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

Here's a few monkeys getting drunk on stolen alcohol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSm7BcQHWXk

gosh darn hobo monkeys get a job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

Hogge Wild posted:

why don't you use your free time to help people instead of flying rats

1. Because I enjoy it and think pigeons are awesome and adorable despite their undeserved reputation

2. Because the two are not mutually exclusive

3. Because I would see string-foot pigeons limping outside my work every day (pigeons who've gotten string, hair or wire wrapped around their toes/feet in a way that cuts off circulation, causes infection and eventually causes their toes to fall off) and I couldn't stand to see a living creature that I admired suffer from something so easy to treat (I've caught, treated and either rereleased or taken to a rehabilitater 36 pigeons in the last year or so)

4. Because compared to other animal pigeons receive virtually no help, no compassion and no resources.

Obviously if you hate pigeons you won't understand why I help them, but your argument is pretty ridiculous. You're saying that because there are humans suffering (many because of causes that I'm not qualified or am unable to help them with), no one should spend their time helping or doing anything else? I do help people whenever I can, either with food from my restaurant, a ride or with small amounts of money.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

3D GAY WORLD posted:

1. Because I enjoy it and think pigeons are awesome and adorable despite their undeserved reputation

2. Because the two are not mutually exclusive

3. Because I would see string-foot pigeons limping outside my work every day (pigeons who've gotten string, hair or wire wrapped around their toes/feet in a way that cuts off circulation, causes infection and eventually causes their toes to fall off) and I couldn't stand to see a living creature that I admired suffer from something so easy to treat (I've caught, treated and either rereleased or taken to a rehabilitater 36 pigeons in the last year or so)

4. Because compared to other animal pigeons receive virtually no help, no compassion and no resources.

Obviously if you hate pigeons you won't understand why I help them, but your argument is pretty ridiculous. You're saying that because there are humans suffering (many because of causes that I'm not qualified or am unable to help them with), no one should spend their time helping or doing anything else? I do help people whenever I can, either with food from my restaurant, a ride or with small amounts of money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPj3G7U-K04&t=13s

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Sheep-Goats posted:

People let some peacocks go free I think on the Berkley campus in the 60s and it turns out they can survive on their own in an environment like that so it became a thing people do at other colleges mostly on the west coast. I remember having to wait for a peacock to get out of the road in Portland once. Eventually a lab sees them and gets ahold of them and that's it though.

Sorry, old post, but labrador dogs or laboratories dedicating to super sizing them into giant murder birds?

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

AEMINAL posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5X6lVv_mL4

Not all brids but loving amazing

Worth the time U will laugh lm,ao

:eyepop:
is this public access? The man seems like a maniac.

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007
My aforementioned pigeons bathing in an old pan:

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUO32EGdEpg

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I want to adopt an abandoned domesticated pigeon now. That sounds pretty neat.

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

Happy Hedonist posted:

I want to adopt an abandoned domesticated pigeon now. That sounds pretty neat.

They're really awesome if you like birds, I'm honestly really surprised that more bird-lovers don't know about them; I know quite a few people who got parrots of some sort before they found out about pigeons and although they love their parrots they admit that, had they known how easy and satisfying pigeons are as pets they would've adopted pigeons instead of a parrot.

I have three pigeons that live with me in my house, which admittedly is one or two more than is ideal for someone without a dedicated bird room, but cleaning their cages every day or two is a five-minute chore and two of them are mated (if you have a pair of mated pigeons they're pretty much happy to just hang out together and will keep each other company without the need for too much constant attention) so they share a cage.

Here they are cuddling in their basket (pigeons love baskets):

Palomacy has a lot of good information regarding pigeon adoption and will even ship pigeons (though we don't prefer to do it, no pigeon has ever died en route and Palomacy always has too many pigeons) if you cant find any at local shelters or via craigslist (or even by rescuing one yourself).

I'm thinking about doing an A/T about pigeon/dove rescue and keeping them as pets, as there's quite a bit of info about simple things that people can do to spot a lost (and therefore in immediate danger) domestic pigeon, how to catch a pigeon and generally why they make great pets.

If anyone runs into another situation where they find an injured or domestic pigeon I highly recommend that you contact Palomacy via Facebook, as the leader of the group responds very quickly, has contacts across the US and Canada and is someone I know personally. As a previous poster mentioned, even if you rescue an injured pigeon it can be hard to find a shelter that will take them if you're unwilling to keep them until they can be adopted or taken in; sadly, that pigeon probably could have been saved, although I really doubt it was the poster's fault because he said he looked around at a few places. Still, Palomacy will likely be able to find a private wildlife rehabilitator or nearby group that is willing to do whatever is needed to save a pigeon in need.

Also, if you ever see a pigeon with a band on its leg like this:

That band means that the bird is either a racing pigeon (ultimately a pretty cruel sport) or a wedding release "dove", and is a surefire way of telling whether or not a pigeon can survive in the wild. There's always instances of domestic pigeons managing to find a flock of wild pigeons and managing to survive, but for every one that does at least ten don't.

Additionally, if you ever see a pure white pigeon like the picture of my two birds in the basket or a confused looking bird that's an unusual color like brown or a combination of colors it's almost definitely either a domestic pigeon or a descendant of a domestic pigeon that managed to survive long enough to mate in the wild. If they look like they're fitting in with a flock of other pigeons and don't seem to be in any immediate danger, you probably don't need to worry too much about them (it would probably ultimately be best if they were caught, but catching a healthy pigeon can be difficult), but if the pigeon is alone, standing far away from the rest or isn't walking and doesn't get up whenever you approach them you should make an effort to catch them if you can. I've become extremely good at baiting pigeons with food and then catching them bare-handed, but there are other methods too. As far as injuries, here's a picture of a string-foot pigeon that I rescued to give you an idea of what it looks like and how awful it is for them:

If anyone is curious about pigeons as pets, how to catch a pigeon, pigeon rescue in general or any other question regarding pigeons, feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to respond!

3D GAY WORLD fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 19, 2015

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

AEMINAL posted:

MY bird is sick :(

Baby birds are called Bees

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
How smart are domesticated pigeons? My narcissism demands that I only own pets smart enough to be able to love me and choose to stay with me because im so awesome

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Pigeons were not smart enough to impress the USA Army with their missle guiding capabilities

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2013/12/pigeon-guided-missiles-bird-brained-ideas/

:colbert:

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

How smart are domesticated pigeons? My narcissism demands that I only own pets smart enough to be able to love me and choose to stay with me because im so awesome

The intelligence of domesticated pigeons and pigeons in general has been studied pretty intensely and it's generally been concluded that pigeons are roughly as intelligent as a three year old human child; obviously that's not exactly right, as they're more intelligent and more capable than three year olds in many ways (as animals tend to be because of their specialization and innate knowledge), but they're comparable in that pigeons can identify different shapes, remember human faces and recognize themselves in the mirror (one of very few animals that actually understand that they're seeing a reflection of themselves rather than another pigeon), along with other basic skills like that.

Pigeons also have an uncanny ability to remember human faces, and there have been studies done where two individuals dressed differently each walked by a group of pigeons; one of them was mean to the pigeons, made loud noises and generally scared them, while the other gave them food and was non-hostile to them. In all subsequent interactions, the pigeons were extremely hesitant around the individual who had originally been mean to them, even refusing to take food from him and running away from him. On the other hand, the pigeons were very friendly and much more comfortable around the individual who had originally been kind to them.

The kicker is that the two individuals swapped their clothing after this, and the pigeons still reacted in the same way to both of them, despite the switch of clothes; that aspect of the experiment was their basis for concluding that pigeons remember individual human faces.

Ultimately they're pretty drat smart (look up stories about messenger pigeons saving the lives of thousands of Allied soldiers during WWII, as well as generally being heroic in many other conflicts), although they're not as smart as crows, ravens or some parrots. What they lack in sheer intelligence compared to the corvid family (crows/ravens) they make up for in inexplicable skills such as the ability of homing pigeons (specially bred and trained pigeons, not just any pigeon can home that well, although wild pigeons all are able to home to a degree) to fly over a thousand miles back to its home after being transported in complete darkness to an unknown location. That homing ability is the basis for pigeon racing, which is basically a sport consisting of people taking pigeons hundreds or thousands of miles away from their home and then releasing them and seeing which one makes it back first; many of the birds get lost and die on the way back, and I've personally witnessed many instances where someone has found a lost racing pigeon, called the owner and been told to "just kill [the pigeon]", because if it couldn't find its way home it's worthless. Some racers care for their pigeons more than others, but its generally an unsavory sport that kills many pigeons. As far as sheer brutality goes, Taiwanese pigeon racing is undoubtedly the most disgusting and profitable; in Taiwanese pigeon races, literally thousands of pigeons are deprived of food/water, taken by boat thousands of miles off-coast and then released over the ocean to see if any make it back. Many of those races have a mortality rate of around 90% or higher, as the vast majority of pigeons are caught in storms, lose their way and/or just plummet into the ocean out of sheer exhaustion. The appeal is that, if your bird happens to survive and make it back, you can expect to win millions of dollars. Thankfully, law enforcement in Taiwan has finally started cracking down on that sickening abuse of intelligent creatures for profit, and operators in several rings have been given long prison sentences for their involvement.

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

Helical Nightmares posted:

Pigeons were not smart enough to impress the USA Army with their missle guiding capabilities

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2013/12/pigeon-guided-missiles-bird-brained-ideas/

:colbert:

Smart enough to save an entire battalion of Allied soldiers called "The Lost Batallion" from friendly fire: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cher_Ami

"As Cher Ami tried to fly back home, the Germans saw her rising out of the brush and opened fire. For several moments, Cher Ami flew with bullets zipping through the air all around her. Cher Ami was eventually shot down but managed to take flight again. She arrived back at her loft at division headquarters 25 miles to the rear in just 25 minutes, helping to save the lives of the 194 survivors. In this last mission, Cher Ami delivered the message despite having been shot through the breast, blinded in one eye, covered in blood and with a leg hanging only by a tendon."

Also smart enough to send a last minute message back from the front lines that prevented Allied forces from commencing artillery bombardment of a recently captured friendly outpost: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.I._Joe_%28pigeon%29

This is G.I. Joe, the bird who accomplished the second feat, receiving a medal:

And a random messenger pigeon being released from a tank in WWI:

This whole hatred of pigeons is a relatively recent thing, and is mostly based off of propaganda created by pest extermination companies that had gotten too good at killing roaches and rats, and needed something else to kill (hence the unfair "rats with wings" branding). Pigeons love to bathe, are generally clean and are only dirty when they're forced to live in filthy cities and forage in gutters by subway stations. Also, you're far more likely to catch a disease from a cat or dog than you are from a pigeon.

3D GAY WORLD fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 19, 2015

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRW06RZ7aWw

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

"Remember Arnold, always wash your berries before you eat them."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CVucJBrliI

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
bird-powered flight! CAW!!

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

proof of concept posted:

bird-powered flight! CAW!!

This gives me an entirely different perspective on James and the Giant Peach, and is also actually less creepy than the movie itself.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=samG-XzWtxQ

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Oh my god. Id thought id seen it all. But now there are not just burd crazies (which is acceptable), but also a pigeon crazy (unacceptable) abort, abort, abort!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Where I lived in Arizona there were two pigeons (or maybe it was more I don't loving know about pigeon orgies) who would just gently caress constantly in the nest they'd made above my doorway on an overhanging roof. Sexy pigeon noises, constantly.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
theres pigeons and then theres pigeons

we got pigeons that live in the forest and they look real different from city pigeons. They're bigger and smarter

I don't personally have anything against city pigeons, they've never bothered me but i'm pretty sure if there was a war between forest pigeons and city pigeons the forest pigeons would win

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Zzulu posted:

theres pigeons and then theres pigeons

we got pigeons that live in the forest and they look real different from city pigeons. They're bigger and smarter

I don't personally have anything against city pigeons, they've never bothered me but i'm pretty sure if there was a war between forest pigeons and city pigeons the forest pigeons would win

people work the same way

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Mange Mite posted:

the us government works the same way

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHrRxQVUFN4

Didn't the last homing pigeon die? Or the last carrier pigeon?
One of them.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zd6Iy4JuGk

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

3D GAY WORLD posted:

Smart enough to save an entire battalion of Allied soldiers called "The Lost Batallion" from friendly fire: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cher_Ami

"As Cher Ami tried to fly back home, the Germans saw her rising out of the brush and opened fire. For several moments, Cher Ami flew with bullets zipping through the air all around her. Cher Ami was eventually shot down but managed to take flight again. She arrived back at her loft at division headquarters 25 miles to the rear in just 25 minutes, helping to save the lives of the 194 survivors. In this last mission, Cher Ami delivered the message despite having been shot through the breast, blinded in one eye, covered in blood and with a leg hanging only by a tendon."

Also smart enough to send a last minute message back from the front lines that prevented Allied forces from commencing artillery bombardment of a recently captured friendly outpost: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.I._Joe_%28pigeon%29

This whole hatred of pigeons is a relatively recent thing, and is mostly based off of propaganda created by pest extermination companies that had gotten too good at killing roaches and rats, and needed something else to kill (hence the unfair "rats with wings" branding). Pigeons love to bathe, are generally clean and are only dirty when they're forced to live in filthy cities and forage in gutters by subway stations. Also, you're far more likely to catch a disease from a cat or dog than you are from a pigeon.

god bless you war pigeons

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

"Hold it right there! Don't make me use this!"

*cooing noises*

"Oh poo poo man, don't do it!"

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

I.C. posted:

One of them.

Not the last homing pigeon, there's still tons of those. Probably the last carrier pigeon that was used officially by a government or something, although there was also a type of pigeon called the Passenger Pigeon that lived in massive flocks of millions. There were only like 3-4 flocks of them in the entire United States and there were hundreds of of millions of them individually, with which made it incredibly easy to hunt them and they were basically driven into extinction really quickly. The extinction of the Passenger pigeon was one of the first wildlife disasters that made people start to consider how much damage we could do to nature by our avarice and carelessness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_pigeon

Also, tropical/forest/unusual pigeons are really spectacular:

There's something like over 900 different variations of pigeons throughout the world.

3D GAY WORLD fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 20, 2015

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

I.C. posted:

One of them.

Passenger Pigeons are extinct. Apparently when European settlers arrived in North America they were so numerous that their flocks blocked out the sun, then white people ruined everything

anyway here are some pics of alive birds:

proof of concept fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 20, 2015

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

proof of concept posted:

Passenger Pigeons are extinct. Apparently when European settlers arrived in North America they were so numerous that their flocks blocked out the sun, then white people ruined everything

anyway here are some pics of alive birds:

Yep, apparently a good number of people mistook a flock of passenger pigeons blotting out the sun for the apocalypse over their existence.

Mark Twain wrote a piece about two passenger pigeons he ever saw flying into the distance from a tree by his window, not knowing they would be the last he would ever see.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P5qbcRAXVk

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Nathilus posted:

But never be fooled. They are not civic minded creatures.

Pitdragon posted:

*makes demon noises at you while swaying and rapidly jutting head back and forth*

https://youtu.be/y0wYd56gZOY

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Keas are loving fascinating birds and I found a 20 minute documentary on youtube with Attenborough narrating. There's a "full" version on youtube but it's got some weird video effect thing that makes the video bob and weave and look bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAhzmULgoqI

Apparently there's no part 3 on youtube :confused: so you'll have to watch the lovely full one if you want to see the whole thing.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 20, 2015

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

God I wish I had the resources/patience to take care of a parrot of some kind, they're hilarious; I need to become friends with someone who has a pet cockatoo.

Why cockatoos are awesome but difficult pets: https://youtu.be/odzXm2KT7ew

3D GAY WORLD fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 20, 2015

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

:3:

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

3D GAY WORLD posted:

le hatred of pigeons is a relatively recent thing, and is mostly based off of propaganda created by pest extermination companies that had gotten too good at killing roaches and rats, and needed something else to kill (hence the unfair "rats with wings" branding). Pigeons love to bathe, are generally clean and are only dirty when they're forced to live in filthy cities and forage in gutters by subway stations. Also, you're far more likely to catch a disease from a cat or dog than you are from a pigeon.

They actually probably got that reputation because in big cities they literally are 'rats with wings', spreading disease and grossness by literally coating places in their putrid bird poo poo. I'm not saying pigeons are bad, it's just kind of like feral cats vs. pet cats where the former may technically be the same animal but are a huge pest to humans/the environment. Hell, even pigeon's city-clogging pest cousins rats could be either a gigantic pest/disease carrier or a great pet depending on if it's wild or not.

Once a momma pigeon laid eggs on our terrace and I raised hell when my mother tried to get rid of the eggs. We let her raise her babies on our astroturf and she/her babies came back for a few years :3: Honestly don't know if I could own a domesticated one though, my city sense would just think "ew".

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

3D GAY WORLD posted:

God I wish I had the resources/patience to take care of a parrot of some kind, they're hilarious; I need to become friends with someone who has a pet cockatoo.

Why cockatoos are awesome but difficult pets: https://youtu.be/odzXm2KT7ew

This video, historically and factually speaking, is 95% of the reason I decided I would never have a cockatoo pet.

raton fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

3D GAY WORLD posted:

rats are legit super intelligent creatures and make awesome pets but that doesnt make them not a pest

• Locked thread