Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Trujillo posted:

Is there a certain percent of men you lose before event armies stop refilling themselves? As ivar I still had about 2.9k left after the invasions and noticed they slowly filled back up but after they got to below 1k they stopped.

Event troops usually don't reinforce themselves, are you sure that he had no retinues or mercenaries mixed with his event troops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Trujillo posted:

Is there a certain percent of men you lose before event armies stop refilling themselves? As ivar I still had about 2.9k left after the invasions and noticed they slowly filled back up but after they got to below 1k they stopped.

Your troops are split up into units.
If an entire unit gets killed it won't reinforce.
I don't know how it decides which units lost troops, it appears random.
If you get lucky in a battle all your losses will be spread out amongst your units,
at which point you will eventually reinforce back up to full strength.
If you're unlucky it will wipe out some units completely, which won't reinforce.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Event troops usually don't reinforce themselves, are you sure that he had no retinues or mercenaries mixed with his event troops?

Yeah I'm 100% sure it was just the three islander companies that he starts with. They were down to about 2.5k and I watched them reinforce to 3.2k before they got worn down and never reinforced again after that. I thought they would keep reinforcing so I sent them to deal with an enemy without my levies and after that they stopped. It was ironman and I'm way past that point but I'll try to replicate it later and get screenshots.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Anyone else in here got a Steam Controller? Well, unexpectedly, the Steam Controller works alright with this game if you can map the button bindings to something more useful. If anyone in here has one and wants to try CK2 out with it, look in the Community section under controller bindings for my username with a template called "CK2 Advanced Controller Bindings (Final)", and let me know what you think of the mappings I have made here.

Here is a full mapping list for anyone interested:
Left Trigger: Zoom in
Right Trigger: Zoom out
Left Bumper: Left click
Right Bumper: Right click
Left Spinal/Grip: Designated Modeshift Button (left blank, effectively)
Right Spinal/Grip: Pause time
Right Touchpad: Mouse
Right Touchpad (Click): Left click
Right Touchpad (Modeshift Click): Merge Armies
Y: Realm Map Mode
B: Diplomatic Map Mode
A: De Jure Duchies Map Mode
X: Religion Map Mode
Y (Modeshifted): Council Screen
B (Modeshifted): Intrigue Screen
X (Modeshifted): Military Screen
A (Modeshifted): Factions Screen
Analogue Stick: Camera Movement
D-Pad Up: Speed Up Time
D-Pad Right: Character Screen
D-Pad Down: Slow Down Time
D-Pad Left: Back Page
D-Pad Up (Modeshifted): Embark Army onto Boat
D-Pad Right (Modeshifted): Disband Army
D-Pad Down (Modeshifted): Toggle Looter
D-Pad Right (Modeshifted): Split Army
Select: Left Alt (for box selecting boats instead of armies)
Start: Escape

When mapping things where there were simply more options than spaces for mappings, I went for the 4 most frequent choices I make, to reduce the amount of time spent using the touchpad as much as possible. I also turned off all of the haptic feedback nonsense.

If you mess about with it and want to give me any feedback, I always want to improve the layout so PM me on here, or add me on Steam. My steam username is the same as on here and is in the controller binding listing, and my avatar is a picture of Vince McMahon biting a weight.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 18, 2015

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
you are a crazy person

but that is mega cool also gotta ask how is the steam controller

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
im just trying to imagine a ck console game and im have aneurysms

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

verbal enema posted:

you are a crazy person

but that is mega cool also gotta ask how is the steam controller

It is alright. My advice would be to not buy it right now though, because it is very much a beta product, and feels like that in both the hardware and software.

The build quality on some parts is a bit "Ew", such as the battery case/spinal buttons which are one plastic sheet which feels a bit waiflike. However, it seems to be very versatile on the software side. You can do a lot with the custom controller bindings, and can bind up to 27 buttons onto the controller if you really wanted to. It could effectively take a lot of PC games onto a sofa if it can build a proper community of individuals who make controller controller bindings for it, even CK2 (if you have good enough eyesight to read the text from a sofa). The touchpad is something that will definitely take some getting used to as an alternative to a mouse, and in some games like Cities Skylines where you have to do a lot of precise busywork and micromanaging, then it is a bit tedious and inaccurate. However, with games like CK2 where you have more generous leeway for clicking on things (all of the provinces and character portraits are just large enough to click easily) it works well enough to not be tedious. It won't be as natural as a mouse and keyboard, but it will certainly do it, might do it pretty well if you have good bindings.

I recorded some of my thoughts on the controller here if you are interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO3cv7zupTU

Another Person fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 18, 2015

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Man forming the Persian empire is hard. It's just so huge.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

FreudianSlippers posted:

Man forming the Persian empire is hard. It's just so huge.

In my experience, Mesopotamia usually drifts out into Arabia, which helps.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Torrannor posted:

One important exception to this, I found, with the latest Horse Lords expansion. If you ever decide to settle down as nomads into the lands of a kingdom or empire, you get a certain amount of permanent units consisting of horse archers/light cavalry. I settled in the kingdom of Georgia and got 5 of those for a total of 1000 horsemen, for example. And so long as you don't lose any of those units, they will totes reinforce for as long as they exist (I think for free even, tho not entirely sure about that part).

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Too Poetic posted:

Way of Life. There isnt poo poo you can do if they arent willing to ransom you. Have fun with your regency.
Wow that is poo poo. Should someone not... I don't know, sound the alarm when the Emperor doesn't return from his scheduled walk in the woods? Or make your captor hostile to you in a similar manner as raiding hostilities work? And who the hell at the Varangian Guard manages personal security? I'm going to have to take some testicles. At least being a woman I can't be made an Eunuch so I got away with only my eyes missing.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Is there a message setting I can change so that I get a notice when my character is no longer the expected winner of a Republic election? Right now I just kind of have to check the republic tab periodically to make sure I'm in the lead and it's kind of annoying.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Does anyone remember that Data Driven Map mod for CKII? Does anyone have a link to it? Googling it isn't helping.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Does anyone remember that Data Driven Map mod for CKII? Does anyone have a link to it? Googling it isn't helping.

A forum search turned it up but the author hasn't been able to work on it in a while. A fan updated it for HL but apparently there are still some issues?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 18, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Dallan Invictus posted:

A forum search turned it up but the author hasn't been able to work on it in a while. A fan updated it for HL but apparently there are still some issues?

That link says it goes to the map mod, but when you click it, it takes you to a EUII bug thread. :psyduck:

It turns to this: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/bug-fixed-in-1-07-fantasia-scenario.78521/

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
:psyduck: Sorry, my bad, I typoed the URL when I posted it. Link should be fixed now.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Dallan Invictus posted:

:psyduck: Sorry, my bad, I typoed the URL when I posted it. Link should be fixed now.

Thanks. I had been wondering what had happened with that mod. As weird as the map was, it seemed a lot better than SWMH's "gently caress India lol" map.

I paid good money for Rajas of India, why would I want to cut that out of the game?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Well, this is going to be a busy day for the Khazar Horde. First I decided to invade Western/Central Europe, including France and the Byzantines simultaneously, and also the Sultanate of Africa. It's actually going fairly well, apart from having to send a fleet out to siege down a couple outlying counties.
And then I got a Crusade called against me for invading Christendom.
And then a Jihad for controlling most/all of the Islamic holy sites.
And now I have an adventurer coming after one of my titles.
I think at this point I am at war with literally everybody except a couple Scandinavian pagans, what remains of the Kirghiz horde, and the Indian kingdoms, who are presumably going to join in the dogpile. Never rains but it pours.

OTOH, the fact that the adventurer is coming after one of my 7 empire titles means I can probably handle this, but still. Going to spend so much time running around killing so many infidels.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow, for the first time, I've seen the Holy Roman Empire actually form from the 867 start. East Francia conquered Lotharangia after they were weak from taking Italy back, and then rolled West Francia while they had a revolt. Cool. I'm playing Nantes but going for the insanely mundane plan of become Norman and Duke of Normandy, then invade England as a Catholic somehow. So it's actually kind of nice that I get to play a complex vassal game for a while.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

I'm playing a republican patrician. My heir is unmarried so I start looking for brides, but every courtier is giving him a -200 prestige hit on marriage. Shouldn't they both be considered courtier rank? Because otherwise ranked nobles won't marry because they want a better alliance and to marry a courtier is a huge penalty.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Dr. Tough posted:

Is there a message setting I can change so that I get a notice when my character is no longer the expected winner of a Republic election? Right now I just kind of have to check the republic tab periodically to make sure I'm in the lead and it's kind of annoying.

You should get the "title loss on succession" alert when you're not winning the election.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

And this doesn't capture his 6+ years of debt-laden regency. How is it possible for mercs to stick with this guy through a decade of bankruptcy?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

ajkalan posted:

And this doesn't capture his 6+ years of debt-laden regency. How is it possible for mercs to stick with this guy through a decade of bankruptcy?

Maybe he's like Mark Antony from the TV series "Rome"? Popular with the troops and people as all hell, can get any military or merc to follow him. But when you get down to what he's really like in other areas, well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGd96SH57SA

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Jabor posted:

You should get the "title loss on succession" alert when you're not winning the election.

You are correct, I just now noticed that

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Maximum incest

also found an older screenshot from when I accidentaly created Medieval Bane

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

FreudianSlippers posted:

Maximum incest

why

Does anyone ever play a game for a 100 years, get a country set up well and simulate?

I had these Zoroastrians in Persia with great moral authority, a strong family vassalage with only one rebellion in those 100 years. I look after 20 years and they've been absorbed by Ughyr and the Zunbils broke free :saddowns:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I was going to marry my sister but misclicked.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Those portraits look so bad.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

FreudianSlippers posted:

Maximum incest

But wait, it gets better! If that's not enough incest for you, you're also allowed to make your other daughters concubines! :stonk:

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I don't know anything about irl Manicheaism but does it actually have anything at all to do with Zoroastrianism besides being from Persia? And if not, why not actually make it it's own religion? I mean it's already got more relevance and actual in game representation than the Zunbils, and they went out of their way to make a seperate religion out of that...

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

It has Zoroastrian influence, but it also has equally significant Christian, Gnostic, and Buddhist influence.

So no not really

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

Maximum incest

I think maximum would be more like if you had a son with her. Then he takes over and marries his sister-mother who has another girl that would be his sister-daughter-niece. Obviously he would then marry her for the divinest marriage.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Eric the Mauve posted:

Those portraits look so bad.

The Persian ones? Nah, you're just crazy! They look great in-game.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

TheBlackRoija posted:

I think maximum would be more like if you had a son with her. Then he takes over and marries his sister-mother who has another girl that would be his sister-daughter-niece. Obviously he would then marry her for the divinest marriage.

That's not how it works, he's not the Shah of Alabama

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheBlackRoija posted:

Crusader Kings 3 needs to have a dynasty tree that can properly display loops in the family tree all on one page. Something like that Hapsburg family tree that was posted ages ago in one of the Paradox threads.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Haven't played this game in years but I just bought all the DLCs from the gamesrepublic sale so now I'm caught up on all the new content :dance:

Is the in game tutorial still out of date and broken as gently caress?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The inbred trait should really have at least 3 tiers depending on the level of inbreeding.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

moot the hopple posted:

Is the in game tutorial still out of date and broken as gently caress?

No, I'm pretty sure it's playable again. They redid it with either Rajas or Charlemagne.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

No, I'm pretty sure it's playable again. They redid it with either Rajas or Charlemagne.

Some of the buttons they tell you to press either don't work as intended or don't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

FreudianSlippers posted:

The inbred trait should really have at least 3 tiers depending on the level of inbreeding.
There is or was a mod that added homozygosity level traits, to track just how inbred someone was. Though ultimately it allowed total inbreeding without penalties once you got a few generations in, as 100% homozygosity got you the "purebred" trait, where you had no more chance of inbred appearing from close-kin marriages with other purebreds. It also guaranteed passing on of genetic traits, if both parents have them; essentially it represents the kids being genetic clones of the parents.

• Locked thread