Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Banning cards is stupid and shouldn't be done, in any format, ever.

Did you play against the affinity deck with Skullclamp and Disciple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

It really is stupid, banning X card because it's overpowered for Y reason(s) only causes people to play the next most powerful card similar to the now banned card. Then, the meta of the format is stuck revolving around the "next card up" to the banned card(s)

Allow it all and deal with it or just don't competitively play the format of your choice because that format will always revolve around the most powerful legal cards.

This argument would make more sense if the gap between each next-most powerful card and the ones below/around it was the same all the way down.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Entropic posted:

What's the best combo you can cram into a 40 card deck with 4 Advantageous Proclamation and 4 Backup Plan?

Probably not the BEST, but the most fun thing that comes to mind is that Leylines would really appreciate 4 free Serum powders.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Attorney at Funk posted:

This argument would make more sense if the gap between each next-most powerful card and the ones below/around it was the same all the way down.

Or if those cards were all turtles

all the way down

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It really is stupid, banning X card because it's overpowered for Y reason(s) only causes people to play the next most powerful card similar to the now banned card. Then, the meta of the format is stuck revolving around the "next card up" to the banned card(s)

Allow it all and deal with it or just don't competitively play the format of your choice because that format will always revolve around the most powerful legal cards.

I also want all magic games to end on turn 1 (or 2 if both players have bad starting hands),

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
What would a Legacy with all reserve list cards banned look like?

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Zoness posted:

I thought you were being ironic but holy poo poo you actually believe that.

Yeah man I want to play in a format with 4x Tolarian Academy :shepface:

It's literally true. The only reason the T1 decks that exist now do is because of the cards on the ban list. If you add current T1 cards to the ban list then you're going to have a bunch of probably unplayed cards become the new T1 cards because they're now the best cards at doing what they do.

Rinse and repeat as bannings happen

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's literally true. The only reason the T1 decks that exist now do is because of the cards on the ban list. If you add current T1 cards to the ban list then you're going to have a bunch of probably unplaged cards become the new T1 cards because they're now the best cards at doing what they do.

Rinse and repeat

Have you actually seen what some of the banned cards do to a format?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

whydirt posted:

What would a Legacy with all reserve list cards banned look like?
Modern with Force of Will.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

You're opinions are bad and you should feel bad for having them. I award you zero points and may god have mercy on your soul.

Everyone else: you can't tell LT barely plays magic now never mind they most def haven't lived through combo winter etc? We're talking statements about bannings that are so egregious and woefully misinformed that even our yugioh grads have failed to derp this hard here.

PleasantDirge fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 19, 2015

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

PleasantDirge posted:

You're opinions are bad and you should feel bad for having them. I award you zero points and may god have mercy on your soul.

It's not really an opinion. It's just the progression of how formats are when you ban cards and then the format is dominated by the "next card up"

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

It's literally true. The only reason the T1 decks that exist now do is because of the cards on the ban list. If you add current T1 cards to the ban list then you're going to have a bunch of probably unplayed cards become the new T1 cards because they're now the best cards at doing what they do.

Rinse and repeat as bannings happen

I agree, bannings are stupid, everyone should be playing or playing against Flash + Protean hulk, or some kind of Memory Jar nonsense.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Attorney at Funk posted:

Do you guys remember the Open a while ago where a Miracles mirror in the finals kept the tournament going until like 1:30 in the morning? That's the way all Magic should look. I'm as serious as a heart attack right now.

Was that the final where game one went over 50 minutes and it ended abruptly with an accidental card draw where the miracles player thought he was resolving a ponder when it was post brainstorm fetch or something like that? Both players looked like they were about to fall asleep at the table.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

It's not really an opinion. It's just the progression of how formats are when you ban cards and then the format is dominated by the "next card up"

You're making an assumption that the banned cards aren't overcentralizing/overpowered in the first place. This makes for a bad argument because you're assuming that there are no inherent problems with unbannings - just that the best cards are replaced with better cards - but this is false because the "next best" cards to Academy and Ancestral happen to exist in different decks, inherently diversifying the format.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

You have no idea how competitive game formats work do you?

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Zing! Sick burn from a long time game designer! I'll just go sit down with all the regular jackoffs so you can keep dropping knowledge bombs doc :allears:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Banning cards is stupid and shouldn't be done, in any format, ever.

One thing I like about YGO's design is that it uses a lot of "tribal" card type interactions. This means that while those cards are parasitic wrt each other and are usually contained within certain sets, it allows for v powerful effects without them affecting the rest of the other cards and without requiring bans because of it.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

You have no idea how competitive game formats work do you?

LT centaur is worse at magic than I am at posting so, no, not at all

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Andrast posted:

I also want all magic games to end on turn 1 (or 2 if both players have bad starting hands),

there was a joke about extended slightly after urza's saga got released

the early game is the shuffling, the mid game is the mulligan decisions

the late game is turn 1

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I wonder what it would be like if there could only be a certain number of banned cards at any given time. Like if you wanted to ban a card, you had to take something else off of the list to make room for it. Maybe adjust the number of slots for bans based on how many cards are available in that format, I don't know. I like the idea of forcing decks to not just rely on the strongest cards in a given format but also don't like how certain archetypes are banned out of formats.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

One thing I like about YGO's design is that it uses a lot of "tribal" card type interactions. This means that while those cards are parasitic wrt each other and are usually contained within certain sets, it allows for v powerful effects without them affecting the rest of the other cards and without requiring bans because of it.

Even then they restrict / ban engine cards in particular tribes.

For example Shurit, a tutor/utility card with warrior typing in Nekroz, was restricted to one copy because it played a role in so many card tutor strings.

Also Elemental Hero Stratos, a HERO archetype searcher, is still banned (probably for a good reason) despite being a parasitic card.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

C-Euro posted:

I wonder what it would be like if there could only be a certain number of banned cards at any given time. Like if you wanted to ban a card, you had to take something else off of the list to make room for it. Maybe adjust the number of slots for bans based on how many cards are available in that format, I don't know. I like the idea of forcing decks to not just rely on the strongest cards in a given format but also don't like how certain archetypes are banned out of formats.

I really dig this but I don't think it meshes with wotc policy of not testing for eternal formats. Otherwise that sounds p exciting and like it would put real tension on new bans. I don't think TC and DTT would have been dealt with the same way if they had to unban two other cards in modern to make room on the list.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Zoness posted:

Even then they restrict / ban engine cards in particular tribes.

For example Shurit, a tutor/utility card with warrior typing in Nekroz, was restricted to one copy because it played a role in so many card tutor strings.

Also Elemental Hero Stratos, a HERO archetype searcher, is still banned (probably for a good reason) despite being a parasitic card.

Right, but at least you can open up design space that way by making sure it doesn't have to interact with the entirety of a card pool. It's really too bad wotc abandoned the tribal experiment because they could've done a lot more with it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

This doesn't really make sense given the purpose of a ban list. There might be individual nitpicks wrt how effective some bans actually are but bans shouldn't be seen as a quota but rather an admission that something was inappropriate for the format - as formats expand the number of possible cards that could fit here would naturally increase. It should be seen as a good thing that card game makers are willing to make mistakes and admit those mistakes in trying to make the game as fun as possible.

Chill la Chill posted:

Right, but at least you can open up design space that way by making sure it doesn't have to interact with the entirety of a card pool. It's really too bad wotc abandoned the tribal experiment because they could've done a lot more with it.

True, it's also neat when some archetypes overlap, like being able to run Dante as a rank 3 xyz for lightsworns or charge of the light brigade/raiden engine in burning abyss because both archetypes can make use each other's self mill effects. There's a good number of variant decks in yugioh that put a smaller archetype as a CA engine for a larger archetype.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 19, 2015

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Unban all cards in all format, and then ban all blue cards and islands.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

More like ban all nonblue cards.

For real though, unbanning Visions is a really good idea because Modern needs control back.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

LC's argument only makes sense if card power level is a constant gentle slope. Then choosing the cutoff would be arbitrary. In reality there is a fairly flat power level among Modern/Legacy playables with a few enormous spikes. With the spikes the universe of acceptably strong cards for deck building is a dozen or so. Without them you have hundreds of cards that can all be played because, while some are stronger than others in one area or another, none is strong enough to wholly invalidate broad swathes of others.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

PleasantDirge posted:

Zing! Sick burn from a long time game designer! I'll just go sit down with all the regular jackoffs so you can keep dropping knowledge bombs doc :allears:

Except that it wasn't a zing or a statement like "I'm right and you're all wrong"

It's simply the degradation of how a MTG format will look. It also applies to any game that's not MTG. Regardless of the game discussed when you ban something it creates a domino effect that takes it out of the top tier rotation and something else will take it's place. From a card game viewpoint if there is no card similar to the now banned card then something will take it's place as the new top tier and the format will revolve around that and the cycle will keep repeating as bans go on.

I'm not sure where the confusion came from there

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Except that it wasn't a zing or a statement like "I'm right and you're all wrong"

It's simply the degradation of how a MTG format will look. It also would to any game that's not MTG. Regardless of the game when you ban something it creates a domino effect that takes it out of the top tier rotation and something else will take it's place. From a card game viewpoint if there is no card similar to the now banned card then something will take it's place as the new top tier and the format will revolve around that and the cycle will keep repeating as bans go on.

I'm not sure where the confusion came from there

It's p sweet to see this happen in fast forward when you use an easily rotated "banlist" in dominion.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

LC's argument only makes sense if card power level is a constant gentle slope. Then choosing the cutoff would be arbitrary. In reality there is a fairly flat power level among Modern/Legacy playables with a few enormous spikes. With the spikes the universe of acceptably strong cards for deck building is a dozen or so. Without them you have hundreds of cards that can all be played because, while some are stronger than others in one area or another, none is strong enough to wholly invalidate broad swathes of others.

Well yeah. It should be self-evident with just a bit of critical thought that WotC's goal (or one of them, at least) in having a heavily curated format like modern is to maximize the number of competitively viable decks in as wide a variety of playstyles as possible.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Static Equilibrium posted:

Well yeah. It should be self-evident with just a bit of critical thought that WotC's goal (or one of them, at least) in having a heavily curated format like modern is to maximize the number of competitively viable decks in as wide a variety of playstyles as possible.

Granted I don't follow Modern as much as many people ITT but isn't Modern known for not having many competitive viable decks in the format? Isn't it like the same top 5 that take turns winning?

Weird jank doesn't have a history of winning Opens or PT's does it?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I guess I just don't understand LC's argument to begin with. Sure, they play the next most powerful card, but most of the cards on the banlist are engines to do broken poo poo for which there isn't a replacement, e.g. there isn't some next level replacement for Hypergenesis, but unbanning Hypergenesis would probably make the only good decks Hypergenesis and decks that decks that can counter a Turn 2 Hypergenesis.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Granted I don't follow Modern as much as many people ITT but isn't Modern known for not having many competitive viable decks in the format? Isn't it like the same top 5 that take turns winning?

I'm under the impression that it's a pretty healthy meta, much moreso than standard. There are certainly ~5 tier one decks, but decks recently shift into and out of tier 1 depending on the metagame.

I don't know that you'll see a deck as crazy as Slivers win an open, but it top 8ed one last month, and Lantern Control won GP Oklahoma.

I think it's also the case that no variety of Twin has won an SCG open.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fuckin' Lantern of Insight won the last Modern GP.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

lol

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

The chief complaint pros have about modern as a competitive format is that there are so many powerful strategies which attack you at such disparate angles that you can't really solve the format and just bring the Best Deck like you can in standard, and a lot of your games come down to how much sideboard hate you/your opponents pack/draw.

Consider that two of the stronger strategies right now are a janky Lantern of Insight prison deck and a weird Amulet of Vigor combo deck: both of which look like piles of hot garbage at first glance. Or that tron, affinity, twin, scapeshift, tokens, zoo, living end, BGx midrange, elves, infect, boggles, merfolk, grixis delve (with and without delver), and burn all still post tournament results to some degree or another.

Edit: like even if, say, some sort of midrangey pile of good cards like junk or grixis is the best deck in the format by whatever measure you want to use, there's a huge pile of decks that are close enough to that mark that there's a huge variety of options in a bunch of different archetypes that all have a realistic chance of placing well at a large tournament, which would certainly not be the case if f. ex. blazing shoal and hyper genesis were legal.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 19, 2015

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

I don't follow modern at all, here, have some posts about the ban list in modern :jerkbag:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Your opinions are the MtG version of being an anti-vaxxer.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoth posted:

Your opinions are the MtG version of being an anti-vaxxer.

I'm waiting for the "haha i was only joking guys" and "you got punked" but apparently this guy is serious?

Like how is this possible :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
If you're interested in seeing how a game without a ban list works out might I suggest that you go play original netrunner :v:

actually that's a problem with android netrunner too

• Locked thread