Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Otisburg posted:

a poster for the new starwar was released yesterday and people are real excited

looks like it's got a death star on it

i just can't get enough death stars.

It would be interesting to see what a Death Star that doesn't get blown up after 10 minutes of use can actually do. It was kicking rear end at the end of ROTJ, and would have pretty much ended the Rebellion during ANH, but both times it gets popped. As long as they don't blow it up in the first movie, and it is a lingering threat, I think it could work.

Then again this is the same guy (JJ Abrams) who essentially recycled Wrath of Khan twice in a row for his two Star Trek movies. I'm expecting things to look and sound beautiful, and the writing to be "meh" like pretty much everything he has ever done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Blistex posted:

It would be interesting to see what a Death Star that doesn't get blown up after 10 minutes of use can actually do. It was kicking rear end at the end of ROTJ, and would have pretty much ended the Rebellion during ANH, but both times it gets popped. As long as they don't blow it up in the first movie, and it is a lingering threat, I think it could work.

Then again this is the same guy (JJ Abrams) who essentially recycled Wrath of Khan twice in a row for his two Star Trek movies. I'm expecting things to look and sound beautiful, and the writing to be "meh" like pretty much everything he has ever done.

To be fair, "fun popcorn movie that isn't intellectually demanding and stops making sense when you think about it too hard" is a far better fit for Wars 2016 than Trek 2009+13 :riker:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Blistex posted:

I remember reading ages ago that, if Lucas was sure he was going to get a trilogy, he would've kept the Death Star around and destroyed it in Jedi. No idea if it's actually true, but considering how heavily the series was rewritten over the years, it wouldn't surprise me if it happened at some point or another.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I know in the old EU there was the Imperial propaganda line about the Death Star 1 was an Imperial mining space station that the Rebel terrorists destroyed (killing thousands of innocent Imperial civilians onboard in the process) or something, but what was the propaganda handwave for Alderaan getting fragged?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Xenomrph posted:

I know in the old EU there was the Imperial propaganda line about the Death Star 1 was an Imperial mining space station that the Rebel terrorists destroyed (killing thousands of innocent Imperial civilians onboard in the process) or something, but what was the propaganda handwave for Alderaan getting fragged?

Mining accident.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I would guess that rebels hijacked it and used it for nefarious purposes.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Is that the Star Wars version of holocaust deniers?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Chomp8645 posted:

Mining accident.
Hell of an accident :stare:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Xenomrph posted:

Hell of an accident :stare:

Well if rebel terrorists hadn't sabotaged the Orbital Mining Sphere prototype during the Alderaan test everything would have been fine! They reversed the polarity on the main drill laser, transforming it from a Micro Ore Absorber Beam into a Macro Ore EXPLODER Beam!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Tender Bender posted:

I would guess that rebels hijacked it and used it for nefarious purposes.

IIRC it was blamed on the Rebels who blew up Alderaan in a false-flag operation to try and swing the galaxy's sympathies their way. Galactic Fox News had a field day.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

IIRC it was blamed on the Rebels who blew up Alderaan in a false-flag operation to try and swing the galaxy's sympathies their way. Galactic Fox News had a field day.

Palpatine lied, Bothans Died!

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Why would they even claim it was a mining ship anyway? I could've sworn that Moff Tarkin destroyed Alderan instead of Dantooine because Dantoonie was too small to make an impression. I took that to mean they destroyed Alderan as a way of saying if you mess with the empire you get blown up.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

McPhearson posted:

Why would they even claim it was a mining ship anyway? I could've sworn that Moff Tarkin destroyed Alderan instead of Dantooine because Dantoonie was too small to make an impression. I took that to mean they destroyed Alderan as a way of saying if you mess with the empire you get blown up.

It almost like something in EU doesn't make any sense.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

McPhearson posted:

The Death Star might have been destroyed before the official press conference was issued, so they could have spun it. . . it's loving EU! It's not supposed to make sense.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Blistex posted:

. . it's loving EU! It's not supposed to make sense.

Its supposed to, it just never actually does.

There is a reason there was a dude employed by Lucas whos only job was to vet the EU poo poo to try and make sure that it maintained some kind of continuity.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Leland_Chee

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

RFC2324 posted:

Its supposed to, it just never actually does.

There is a reason there was a dude employed by Lucas whos only job was to vet the EU poo poo to try and make sure that it maintained some kind of continuity.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Leland_Chee

He must have a terrible glue-sniffing habit if he's the one in charge of EU continuity.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I legit think Kyle Katarn should be canon and in the movies somewhere

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

gohuskies posted:

He must have a terrible glue-sniffing habit if he's the one in charge of EU continuity.

He was thrown into it after alot of the poo poo was already in place so was given the job of getting it to make sense.

When Disney bought them, they have him the job of fixing the eu, so he is also the one who declared out all void so the new books can have real continuity.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Fonzarelli posted:

I legit think Kyle Katarn should be canon and in the movies somewhere

He's too cool for Star Wars, not givin' a poo poo about dark side / light side or "blaster or saber: choose one".

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Light Gun Man posted:

He's too cool for Star Wars, not givin' a poo poo about dark side / light side or "blaster or saber: choose one".

https://youtu.be/mRpg0cS343U

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Tbf Tarkin was a loving idiot who got blown up like the next day so maybe whoever was in charge decided to go in a different direction.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Exactly. Dude's just using all the resources available to him and everyone else is retarded for not doing so.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

ugh yup gonna have to play this poo poo again

i bet its aged fine

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Fonzarelli posted:

ugh yup gonna have to play this poo poo again

i bet its aged fine

Actually playing right now. The inability to run forward and jump at the same time in 3rd person is killing me.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Trailer seemed to indicate no one knows poo poo about the force anymore, so no Luke starting a new jedi order, so no tons of poo poo from the EU.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

PostNouveau posted:

Trailer seemed to indicate no one knows poo poo about the force anymore, so no Luke starting a new jedi order, so no tons of poo poo from the EU.

Yeah, the quote about 'All the stories are true' caught my attention.

As did Kylo Ren saying something about 'I will complete what you started' to Vaders hosed up helmet.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

There are two kylo rens, luke is the real one. youre welcome.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

didn't they say the planet jackuuu is beyond even the outer rim? maybe they are just out of the loop, hardcore.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Vorik posted:

There are two kylo rens, luke is the real one. youre welcome.

Trailer looked good. Probably gonna be a solid movie.

Would be hilarious though if it's a great film right up until the end and then they reveal that this is true and Luke's a real bad rear end in a top hat bent on killing everyone now, and everyone loving hates it.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

It's actually really weird how star wars casually kills billions of people

like planet gets blown up, 20 minutes of screentime later Leia makes a joke about a stormtroopers height, after her entire planet and culture was destroyed

entire planet destroyed, but darth vader is ok because he loves his son

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Calico Heart posted:

like planet gets blown up, 20 minutes of screentime later Leia makes a joke about a stormtroopers height, after her entire planet and culture was destroyed

it was a rebel alliance false flag. the "planet" of alderaan was an elaborate prop and it's "population" was actually two billion crisis actors

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Calico Heart posted:

A planet seems like a lot to you and me because we only have one. Star Wars has many many many planets so losing one isn't as big a deal. You can think of it two ways, it's more like taking out a city block or sci fi planets often seem to be tiny planets only populated by a few thousand max.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Otisburg posted:

it was a rebel alliance false flag. the "planet" of alderaan was an elaborate prop and it's "population" was actually two billion crisis actors

Alderaan was an inside job.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Calico Heart posted:

It wasn't a joke, Leia has autism.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

It wasn't a joke, Leia has autism.

IDK she's pretty catty to her captors, must be high functioning.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Otisburg posted:

IDK she's pretty catty to her captors, must be high functioning.

*meets a high-ranking government official*

*immediately begins talking about how she recognizes his smell*

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I kind of always wanted to do an X-Wing pilot outfit, but that's Rebel Legions and not the 501st. Also, those things are expensive so nope.

Also trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbxmsDFVnE

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Someone is campaigning hard for mod/admin I see.

Nah, Xenomrph is a cool dude and being a SA mod is a horrible fate I wouldn't wish upon anyone

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

RFC2324 posted:

I was thinking Ravenor, but I haven't been able to find any of the eisenhorn stuff myself. A couple of the series(Ravenor, Cain, to a lesser degree Gaunts Ghosts) are written from the perspective of people who have severe doubts about the emperor and/or the system, but gently caress it, its work with it or die.

Are any of those plain warhammer, not 40k? Idgaf about space marines, but i liked the dirty ork stuff the couple days I played the warhammer mmo.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The only time the EU is tolerable is when it's poking holes into George Lucas canon. Like the prophesy that Anakin would 'bring balance to the force' in a universe filled with Jedi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Tender Bender posted:

Tbf Tarkin was a loving idiot who got blown up like the next day so maybe whoever was in charge decided to go in a different direction.

The second the Rebels blew up the Death Star, any incentive for systems to stay in line out of fear goes out the window. "Yeah we totally :commissar:'ed a whole planet!...except we can't follow up at all, let me get back to you."

• Locked thread