Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I can't get into having a home set up. There's something about leaving the house and stepping into the gym that's really stress relieving while at the same time getting me focused on what I'm there to do.

I have a really nice setup on back porch and in garage and I just can't muster the effort most days. Going to a place at the same time every day is how I do it. Being home there's always some bullshit like dog barf, laundry, cooking dinner, all kinds of crazy poo poo. When I'm at a gym I can shut that poo poo out and do my leg curls and smith machine shrugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Fart Sandwiches posted:

smith machine shrugs

You're the worst.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Whip Slagcheek posted:

You're the worst.

:thejoke:

Unless your post was :thejoke: and now I'm dumb

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah I feel like if I had a sweet garage setup I wouldn't keep to it unless someone was constantly bugging me. Way too many distractions.

But at home I can slam weights and throw chalk everywhere. But alas there's no cuties to impress.

But it's also sad how an extra 5-10 minute drive to the gym is a deterrent

Best gym is the one you go to etc

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
i got a home gym and zero motivation to use it these days. gently caress going to a real gym tho. instead ill just gradually get fat and weak

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

i got a home gym and zero motivation to use it these days. gently caress going to a real gym tho. instead ill just gradually get fat and weak

My_life.txt

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

The Emperor knows. The Emperor is watching.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

maybe if i had a office job i would have energy to workout when i got home, but standing around in a shop working on cars for 10 hours a day takes the piss out of me

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Thank god my BJJ club is located in the middle of an awsome gym and that my membership gives me acess to BJJ, two weightlifting areas and showers. And the monthly fee is a goddam steal.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

maybe if i had a office job i would have energy to workout when i got home, but standing around in a shop working on cars for 10 hours a day takes the piss out of me

These days I'm seated 100% of the time. I actually had to set alarms to go off every hour to get off my rear end and walk to the bottom floor and then back up (only 5 flights, but still).

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

do crankshaft presses and muffler squats

or bring a kettle bell to work and slay after you eat

or be fat

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

A majority of people with office jobs report feeling too fatigued after they get off work to exercise in the evening.

Know who reports feeling like they have energy to exercise after work regardless of conditions? Those who routinely exercise.

Just sayin bruh.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Looks like I have an APFT next week. Guess I'll see if regularly going to the gym and lifting is enough to get good sit up and push up scores since I haven't done any of those in the last few months.

I hope the answer is yes just so I can hate PRT a little more for being pointless.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I have to take an RPFT tomorrow and I don't even have a Ranger School slot. Plus I've been gradually getting sicker the past couple of days so the 5 mile run will be fun while I'm hacking poo poo up.

Lifting and weighted sit ups before the Army got me a max for both of those when I took the APFT for my OCS board. Since joining the army my push ups and sit ups have gotten slightly worse and I run a bit slower still after hurting my knee in OCS. Which still hasn't fully healed because we run like every loving day.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

MurderBot posted:

A majority of people with office jobs report feeling too fatigued after they get off work to exercise in the evening.

Know who reports feeling like they have energy to exercise after work regardless of conditions? Those who routinely exercise.

Just sayin bruh.

ill just do 12 oz curls

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

does anyone here with high arches have a running shoe recommendation

started running for the first time in forever and i forgot that my old sneakers suck loving balls and now im paying for it

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

started running for the first time in forever and i forgot that my old sneakers suck loving balls and now im paying for it

Buddy has some lovely high arches, runs with the Nike Pegasus brand. Says they are comfortable as hell.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

MurderBot posted:

Buddy has some lovely high arches, runs with the Nike Pegasus brand. Says they are comfortable as hell.

thats what i was seeing online, thx for the confirmation

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Go to a running store if you can so running dorks can analyze your feet and stride. Super helpful.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

holocaust bloopers posted:

Go to a running store if you can so running dorks can analyze your feet and stride. Super helpful.

Yeah, this. Be prepared to spend a little more and potentially buy a brand of shoes you've never heard of, but once you know the proper style of shoe for your foot you'll never go back to Foot Locker running shoes.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Go to a running store and have them analyze your feet and stride and recommend you a pair of shoes but instead of paying a ton of money go order the same pair of shoes online for cheaper.

I don't think I've ever seen a running store where everything isn't overpriced. CERA Sport packets for like 4 bucks each, $50 running shorts, it's ridiculous.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

The best running shoes go to the trash can because running is for trash people.

I get my cardio by lifting weights and extreme competitive hugging.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Mustang posted:

Go to a running store and have them analyze your feet and stride and recommend you a pair of shoes but instead of paying a ton of money go order the same pair of shoes online for cheaper.

I don't think I've ever seen a running store where everything isn't overpriced. CERA Sport packets for like 4 bucks each, $50 running shorts, it's ridiculous.

It's almost like the place has to hire people with knowledge and experience to help test you and give expert advice and that costs money. People like you are the reason places like Walmart and Home Depot are so successful.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

ElMaligno posted:

The best running shoes go to the trash can because running is for trash people.

I get my cardio by lifting weights and extreme competitive hugging.

the man's got a point

look at my user name

ps don't be a loving moron and spend more than 100 bucks on a pair of running shoes. Hell, even a 50 dollar pair from adidas, nike or reebok will last you a couple of years. Get some good insoles if you have flat or arched mutant feet, or even regular feet. They can make a bigger difference than wasting money on some weirdo shoe for space people with all sorts of high tech features with the same lovely insoles.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
running is as gay as reading.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Finally joined the 400 pound squat club. :feelsgood:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Finally joined the 400 pound squat club. :feelsgood:

gotta prep for lena

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ATG or gtfo

Or did you do that Military thing where you load up 4 plates on each side then get about 4" deep for 2 reps

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
anybody have any experience dealing with adhesions on the biceps? I've been doing stretching, eccentrics, scraping them with a butter knife and such(which helps actually), but looking to see if anybody else has any ideas...
I apparently was going a little to excess on pullups (over and under bar) plus some other stuff...

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

ATG or gtfo

Or did you do that Military thing where you load up 4 plates on each side then get about 4" deep for 2 reps

Nah I go parallel with the ground.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Nah I go parallel with the ground.

That's actually terrible for your knees and you should go past parallel and there's literally no reason not to touch your hamstrings to your calves unless you're trying to impress people with weight or you're not flexible enough (anyone is flexible with 250 lbs on their shoulders)

But :can:

Going parallel with the ground or 90 w/e is some old rear end bro science misinformation that keeps getting passed down since dudes can't justify changing their technique and dropping half the weight they can put up

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I'm not basing it on my knees, I base it on my back. I can't keep a neutral spine beyond parallel.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Have you tried 2.5 lb plates under your heels? What are you wearing for shoes if anything? I mean clearly you squat more than I ever will technique be damned.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I've seen people doing the plates under the feet, I might try it.

Only chucks for squats, do it old school son.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Only chucks for squats, do it old school son.

unless you can do it barefoot but yeah chucks own for squatting

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Yea I don't trust any gym enough to go barefoot. I'm a germ freak. :saddowns:

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
"Buttwink", FWIW, is 100% flexibility-related. If you're doing high bar squats with any decent kind of weight it's going to be better for you in the long run to invest in a pair of decent squat shoes, purpose built with a non-compressible sole and raised heel (usually .5-.75in) which is basically the non-ghetto version of putting plates under your heels. They make it easier to hit full depth even when you've got poo poo flexibility from your ankles to your hip flexors. Combine those with stretching hip flexors, spinal erectors, groin, glutes, quads, hamstrings, gastrocnemius and soleus (aka your calves) 15 minutes every day will fix any mobility/depth problems you have with squats and net you a lot of power out of the hole since your hips aren't rolling under you anymore.

If you're doing low bar ignore the bit about the shoes but do the stretching thing, seriously. Makes your back a whoooole lot happier when your hamstrings aren't providing constant tension against it, and also makes you look less fat because of the anterior pelvic tilt I guarantee you probably have.

Jesus Christ I really need to get like a PT cert or something just so I can get paid to teach people this poo poo, I'm giving the goods away like this every time I'm in the gym.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

If you do squats you loving need to to hyperextensions, weighted or not.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

How do you get to 400 lbs without knowing any of that stuff though? :shrug:

And yeah chucks are great for lifting. People think it's a fashion thing and don't realize their 8 lb running shoe with 4" of rubber on bottom isn't best for lifting.

gently caress the haters though. I love my vibrams and always will. And I'll always recommend them (with a gradual increase of use if running etc) Just because some idiots threw them on then proceeded to run 10 miles and blow an achilles doesn't mean it's bad. It's just a loving heavy duty sock. Not exactly innovative. They work great for squatting, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I've been working on flexibility issues for a couple months now because originally I was having shoulder and neck pain. After a couple months with a PT it's gone away but now I spend about 15 minutes beforehand in the sauna and doing my stretches.

I've definitely got the pelvic tilt though.

I wore Vibrams for years. I only recently switched to using the Nike Free's for running and general fitness. I was starting to run into a lot of issues with plantar fasciitis.