Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Look Sir Droids posted:

Short gets the not-Saiga and long gets the almost max Renov. What's mid level? Stun UN-ARC? Are there any other weapons like stun grenades and gas mines? Lethal had quite a lot of variety to it even within each range setting.
Yes mid range non lethal gets stun UN-ARC, all security team guys get flash bangs, and the ignorable claymore mines get replaced by sleeping gas mines that will absolutely drop someone in no time flat.

Honestly the only real drawback to non lethal is that your staff wear the sneaking suit instead of the superior battle dress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

They also can't actually defeat an invader unless he is extremely unlucky or stupid (or if a defender shows up). They have no way of killing the invader so rushing in for a fulton once they're down is the only way to defeat them which makes it very easy for the invader to just murderize their way through the security detail since they can shake himself awake in 2 seconds.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Domattee posted:

They also can't actually defeat an invader unless he is extremely unlucky or stupid (or if a defender shows up). They have no way of killing the invader so rushing in for a fulton once they're down is the only way to defeat them which makes it very easy for the invader to just murderize their way through the security detail since they can shake himself awake in 2 seconds.

Oh, yeah, you can force your way to the center, but every time you get dropped you lose another few hundred espionage points. If your goal is to climb the ranks of the leaderboards - and let's be real here, it doesn't take long for that to be the only reason to care about FOBs - then that's enormously self-defeating. No matter how many resources you get out of fighting your way to the core, it'll never compensate for the loss of face of stumblebumming your way through a gauntlet of stun grenades and knock-out gas.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
My FOB is set up nonlethal, and it repulsed an invasion in some way. I'm literally incapable of going to my FOB's defense (on Xbox, don't have Gold membership), so either they spent half an hour getting whapped with paddles, or leapt into the uncaring sea. Etiher way is amusing to think of.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Stun length gets longer every time you're KOed, so saying you can always get up in 2 seconds is very misleading

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Dareon posted:

I'm literally incapable of going to my FOB's defense (on Xbox, don't have Gold membership), so either they spent half an hour getting whapped with paddles, or leapt into the uncaring sea.
I, uh, may have leapt in to the ocean to escape a constant rear end-kicking at one point

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Didn't someone mention that if an invader gets tranqed 4 times they get insta fultoned?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Coolguye posted:

Stun length gets longer every time you're KOed, so saying you can always get up in 2 seconds is very misleading

If it does it's almost completely irrelevant. I've stumblefucked my way through a non-lethal defense for 5 minutes before a defender showed up and had no problems at all getting up even after the 20th time down. 3 seconds instead of 2 doesn't really change the problem. And you get stun immunity after shaking yourself up too, so even if you are stuck in a complete clusterfuck one guard that is a little too slow on the fulton can save your invasion.

e:

Panfilo posted:

Didn't someone mention that if an invader gets tranqed 4 times they get insta fultoned?
That is either a very recent change or not true at all.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Not true, I once had a truly catastrophic run where I got ko'd about six times and I was not automatically fultoned.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
The first and only non-lethal FOB I invaded, the AI Fultoned me out on my first stun. I was like, pffft, non-lethal pea shooters. Didn't know any better. So I just ran face first in to 4 guys firing point blank at me. I wiggled the thumb stick and Y twice before I floated away.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
lol, i wish i could say i was surprised that there still is lag in the menus when you go online in the game, but honestly its exactly what i expected

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Domattee posted:

If it does it's almost completely irrelevant. I've stumblefucked my way through a non-lethal defense for 5 minutes before a defender showed up and had no problems at all getting up even after the 20th time down. 3 seconds instead of 2 doesn't really change the problem. And you get stun immunity after shaking yourself up too, so even if you are stuck in a complete clusterfuck one guard that is a little too slow on the fulton can save your invasion

Truthfully I think you are either stealth bragging on the Internet or you're a button mashing champ because I've got a half dozen invasions on my non lethal fob and two of them led to a Fulton on the opponent's 3rd or 4th down 7+ seconds after the neutralization. 3 more led to fultons on the first or second down, and the last one I lost. All of these are from folks that have good espionage scores too so it's not like it was some random punks. The point is you're seriously overstating the problems with non lethal dudes, they do really really well at ruining people's day, though I will admit I've never tried long range nonlethals. That could have some issues for obvious reasons.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Coolguye posted:

Truthfully I think you are either stealth bragging on the Internet or you're a button mashing champ because I've got a half dozen invasions on my non lethal fob and two of them led to a Fulton on the opponent's 3rd or 4th down 7+ seconds after the neutralization. 3 more led to fultons on the first or second down, and the last one I lost. All of these are from folks that have good espionage scores too so it's not like it was some random punks. The point is you're seriously overstating the problems with non lethal dudes, they do really really well at ruining people's day, though I will admit I've never tried long range nonlethals. That could have some issues for obvious reasons.

I don't understand your post. He's poopooing the challenge non-lethal guards present and he's also overstating?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

All I know is that non lethal snipers are much easier than lethal snipers because non lethal snipers don't knock you down when they shoot you, so you never run into the infuriating situation where the sniper will knock you out of reflex mode because they fired the instant they spotted you.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not clear on where I am unclear. He said that it's super unlikely for an intruder to actually get eliminated by non lethal staff because the intruder must be fultoned, and people get up within 2 seconds of being disabled. This is observably untrue in my defense logs, people get fultoned a good while after going down and it gets longer the more they go down. So either he is a button mashing king or he is exaggerating on the Internet.

Now granted I haven't used long range non lethal staff though, there are some obvious problems with KOing someone with a sniper rifle and then needing to get up in close to Fulton him, so I could see that being a bad thing. But particularly short range non lethal staff are pretty mean and will not hesitate to get rid of a disabled invader.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I feel like I'm about done with this game if I can't get any sort of action going with the FOB stuff. I did every animal capture last night (except for the mysteriously hard-to-catch Leopard Tortoise) and I think I only have a few things left to S-Rank and then there's really nothing left to do. By the time MGO launches on PC in a few months there will be almost nobody left playing but I'll probably come back to it then and give it a shot.

I guess I still have yet to stealth a 4-strut FOB with super-high security settings

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5jx9aYSG1c

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Monkey Fracas posted:

Ah I gotta go back and do everything in Ground Zeroes

Still probably a better-designed area than like anything in Phantom Pain

I played through Ground Zeroes recently after having beaten TPP and I kept trying to bionic punch dudes but I couldn't ergo Ground Zeroes is a big piece of poo poo.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Ground Zeroes is fantastic for what it is and you won't find an area in TPP designed as well as Camp Omega.

I'm about done too. I have 8ish side ops left. I'll do those to just get them done, not focus on an S rank. Couple other early missions I'd like to S rank. But I doubt I'll be there Day 1 for MGO on PC.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Coolguye posted:

I'm not clear on where I am unclear. He said that it's super unlikely for an intruder to actually get eliminated by non lethal staff because the intruder must be fultoned, and people get up within 2 seconds of being disabled. This is observably untrue in my defense logs, people get fultoned a good while after going down and it gets longer the more they go down. So either he is a button mashing king or he is exaggerating on the Internet.

Now granted I haven't used long range non lethal staff though, there are some obvious problems with KOing someone with a sniper rifle and then needing to get up in close to Fulton him, so I could see that being a bad thing. But particularly short range non lethal staff are pretty mean and will not hesitate to get rid of a disabled invader.

Long range gets some riot SMG mixed in. I'm playing on PC, might be easier to get up on M+KB, but I've almost never used non-lethal because the short time I did use it I lost almost every single defense. They'd get spotted, downed a few times, then go into hiding and ultimately make it to the core if a defender didn't show up. With lethal they get spotted and it's game over on the first down. And I know from myself invading other people, I've only lost two invasions to non-lethal guards. Rounded a corner and got knifed by a guard while already half-KO the first time and got spotted by non-lethal snipers while climbing the R&D building the second time. Got tranqed while hanging from a pipe and fell to my death. The worst part about combat against non-lethal, apart from the ranking point loss, is that the mortar slows you down much more and defenders have more time to show up as a result of that.

I've died twice to a lethal mortar landing a direct hit while there wasn't even a combat alert. Shoot a UAV to close to a guard, "CP, CP, we have a sniper!" "Get on the mortar!", thup, boom, dead.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In FOB missions can you still ghost the mission if you knock out/sleep guards? Is it just don't get spotted/don't Fulton?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

If by ghost you mean no traces then yeah KOing guards will disqualify you from getting no traces. If you mean not getting a soft alert then you can take out most of the platform before being spotted if the opposing staff is bad or you're really careful.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I don't think there is any No Traces bonus for FOBs.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think a defender only has a chance to even show up if a soft or combat alert is triggered.

Don't know specifically what opens up a retaliatory wormhole, though. Are soft alerts enough to do that?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Yes, as long as nobody sees the guard.

Defenders can show up if any alert, combat or search, is called for any reason, if you extract anything or if you kill or destroy anything.
That line "Special Alert. All units defend their positions!" CP will sometimes radio is not an alert and does not actually mean anything.

Retaliatory wormholes open if you triggered a combat alert and "did enough damage". I have no idea what exactly determines how much damage is enough, but it happens occasionally even if you didn't do any, just got spotted and killed. The defense cannot get a revenge wormhole if a combat alert doesn't happen.

Domattee fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 19, 2015

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Does throwing tranq'd guards overboard count as killing them?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Yes, unfortunately. Knocking out guards does put you on the clock even if nobody spots them though since CP will sometimes radio KOd units and then call an alert when they don't respond.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yeah I think a defender only has a chance to even show up if a soft or combat alert is triggered.

Don't know specifically what opens up a retaliatory wormhole, though. Are soft alerts enough to do that?
No, retaliatory wormholes only show up if a full alert happens.

What I'm not clear on, though, is if there are different levels of soft alerts in FOBs. In other words, I've had defenders show up when I destroy cameras/sentries without a full combat alert, but I've not personally encountered a defending player when a guard radios in an unconscious (but not dead) comrade. Is there an actual difference, or has it just been good luck for me so far?

edit: I type too slow ^^^thanks for clarifying

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Akion posted:

Does throwing tranq'd guards overboard count as killing them?

I don't think it counts as a kill but I think it alerts a defender like extracting a guard would because the telltale loading icon appears whenever I do it.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Is there any way to conceal yourself on an enemy FOB after a defender appears, such that the enemy intel team can't estimate your position?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I love it when a guard fails to radio in that he's checking something suspicious out and just wanders over

waiting for and trying to disable a pair or guards looking for you ends well less frequently and you should probably just move if you can while they're both distracted

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Grey Fox posted:

but I've not personally encountered a defending player when a guard radios in an unconscious (but not dead) comrade. Is there an actual difference, or has it just been good luck for me so far?

If a soft alert was called then the game was opened for a defender, but I'm not sure what happens if that doesn't happen. I've had one case where other guards spotted a ZZZing guard, but they didn't call it in and instead bitched about what a lazy rear end in a top hat that guy was, sleeping on the job and do you believe the audacity. I also didn't get a defender but no idea if that was luck or if defenders can't show up if the KOd guard doesn't get called in and cause an alert of some kind.
I do know that guards waking up can call themselves in and that does trigger a defender even if CP doesn't give a poo poo.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Report: Hideo Kojima has left Konami

Domattee posted:

Hideo Kojima, the creator of the Metal Gear Solid series, has left Konami, according to a report from The New Yorker.

The New Yorker reports that Oct. 9 was Kojima's last day at Konami, citing an anonymous source who said they attended Kojima's farewell party that day at Kojima Productions, his game studio in Tokyo.

Following the well-received Metal Gear Solid 5's Sept. 1 launch, Kojima was the focus of a sentimental farewell video, bidding goodbye to the series he oversaw over its entire run.

We have reached out to a representative from Konami for an official confirmation of Kojima's reported departure, and will update with more as we receive it.

I thought he had till December.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
In regards to retaliatory wormholes: from looking at youtube gameplay of people doing FOBs, it looks like Ocelot informs you at the end if you've done enough damage to cause a wormhole to appear (and if the person you defended against caused enough damage for you to get a wormhole to them). What counts as 'damage' and how much is allowed is unclear, but judging from the guides, it looks like fultoning guards/killing guards/stealing resources/damaging security devices like cameras count as 'damage'.

I've never gotten a retaliatory wormhole in all of my invasions. I've been trying to stress test it to see what counts, and I'm not sure if any patches have changed the limits, but here are a few notable things:

Lemme preface this with: In all scenarios I've always gone full non-lethal and attempted to stealth. I never have a single red/lethal item on my loadout.

1) I've actually stolen resources a few times and haven't gotten a wormhole. However, I didn't go full hog: I only stole about 3 red crates and called it quits.

2) I've scattered a lot of people into the heartless sea, practically entire platforms of men, but never gotten a wormhole.

3) I've had full combat alerts that have been handled with non-lethal means and haven't gotten a wormhole.

4) I've been seen and have been neutralized by a defender who came in and haven't gotten a wormhole.

5) I've destroyed some UAVs (2) and blasted plenty of people with rubber bullets (I think one of them even fell off the edge, maybe he didn't die) and still no wormhole.

I'm still trying to test if I can take down alot of UAVs and steal mines and if that counts as 'damage' and how many I can get away with, among other things. If anyone has any information, let me know.

Special note: I've heard if you get resources stolen they will actually show up on an enemy FOB with your logo on them. I presume this is so you can steal with back without causing 'damage' and inviting retaliation. I'd like to test this but nobody has attacked me yet.

Another note: the one time I got a defender was about a minute or so after I got a reflex moment but handled it by tranqing the person. It's the only notable event I can think of, so I guess that can trip a defender alert.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 20, 2015

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
So where the poo poo can you capture Oriental Rattlesnakes? I've tried following the PowerPyx guide but after eight attempts following it to the pixel it hasn't worked. Did they patch the drat things or something?! This is literally the last thing I need for 100%.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
I don't know if I can power through to 100% like some of you are doing. Repeating the same side ops over and over again is definitely getting boring and I'm starting to gently caress around with guns that I never use. I'm even customizing ridiculous guns. I have the semi-auto sniper rifle in 7.62 with a drum and shotgun underbarrel attachment. Why? Because I can. I thought it'd make it more fun but it just isn't. I'm not even looking forward to farming these drat animals or getting the bullshit objectives that I skipped over in the main missions.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

I don't think there is any No Traces bonus for FOBs.

One of the update messages that was up shortly after I started playing said this was 'now possible'. I will attempt to confirm this evening, I have an indirect retaliation target against some scrub lord with 3 E soldiers as his only security. I've been showing up at random to steal all his AA guns but I can test no trace.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I get a wormhole like every time I invade a FOB now. I don't fulton containers but I do kill every UAV. I try to stealth every one of course but when I go loud I go loud.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

His non-compete is through December, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I've been getting steadily more murderous in single player as all of my teams are at or approaching level 70.

It started with me just clipping their knees with live fire and fultoning them to "save" them for the heroism bonus but I've since started carrying around slug shotguns and the longbarrel revolver and getting less .... careful about sneaking around.

In a few more days I will be lighting entire bases on fire with D-Walker's flamethrower

• Locked thread