Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

gfanikf posted:

Hank Johnson Agent of Hydra.

Forgot about that. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Uthor posted:

Anyway, can I get a recommendation on good single issues to buy? I have an odd number of books in my cart and would like a single thing to round it out.

Any suggestions on good older ($1.99) single issues?

(Also, is "Punisher: The Cell" even available on Comixology? Can't find it, though it's probably MAX and so ineligible anyway.)

edit: thanks!

onefish fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 16, 2015

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

onefish posted:

(Also, is "Punisher: The Cell" even available on Comixology? Can't find it, though it's probably MAX and so ineligible anyway.)

I haven't seen any MAX titles through the Marvel Comixology app. Regular Comixology app doesn't let me buy comics, they just list the titles. However they are buy-able through the websitr.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

onefish posted:

Last time I picked up X-Men 153 where Kitty tells a fairy tale version of the Pheonix Saga that was a pretty fun one-off.
https://www.comixology.com/Uncanny-X-Men-1963-2011-153/digital-comic/70216

For $3.99 comics, someone pointed me to Marvel Graphic Novel. ComiXology doesn't have everything from that series, but you can grab Death of Captain Marvel, The New Mutants, or God Loves Man Kills.
https://www.comixology.com/Marvel-Graphic-Novel/comics-series/9188

Or the aforementioned Hank Johnson Agent of Hydra.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 16, 2015

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Glad I didn't pick up the new Ms Marvel this week. Probably grab it with Hank Johnson, but is Siege (Secret Wars not the Dark Reign one) worth grabbing as well?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SW Siege is unbelievably good.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Uthor posted:

Forgot about that. Thanks!

You're welcome! Loved it to death and I'd even love the idea of it being tried as a series...though perhaps it really works best in a one shot format.

Oh good news if you have Chromecast with the updated casting option you can cast you phone or device screen to your TV even if the app has no support for Chromecast. I used it with Marvel Unlimited and the Comic apps and it worked perfectly. It's stable as hell.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 16, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I have a computer in the living room and reading Private Eye a few feet away from a 48" screen was glorious. I would highly recommend people try that with landscape comics (fitting a portrait comic on a screen like that would be infuriating to me).

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I'm as happy angry as you guys too.

Goddamnit. Now I can finally buy Secret Avengers 8 the only hole I have in the series for the deserved of price of 4 dollars and close off the 3 issues of Black Widow.

My wife still will kill me.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I already spent stupid amounts of money during that batman sale...

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
I just saw the Marvel sales and started laughing nervously. Seriously, three great sales back to back.

Last time they did this, I grabbed collections as some of them are great value. You just have to find an even number of them. Obviously, if you're fine with the MU model, this is mostly irrelevant.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Any quick and dirty recommendations for one-off issues to even out a purchase?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

petewhitley posted:

Thor: God of Thunder #18
https://www.comixology.com/Thor-God-of-Thunder-18/digital-comic/68911?ref=c2VyaWVzL3ZpZXcvZGVza3RvcC9ncmlkTGlzdC9Jc3N1ZXM

It's a one-and-done issue about a young Thor's relationship with a drunk dragon.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

petewhitley posted:

The Wolverine and the X-Men with Doop. Believe it's 17. One of the most enjoyable things.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Goddamn it now I need another to even this out.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Marvel Graphic Novel for $3.99 a pop.

https://www.comixology.com/Marvel-Graphic-Novel/comics-series/9188

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

New Mutants is collected in the first New Mutant Classic trade though. So it might be better to get the Classic trade alongside another one (which I did the last time they had a BOGO sale).

If you really want to be cheap about it and game the system though, there's an ongoing Marvel sale with #1 issues discounted at $.99. Some were initially $3.99 and they're counted as $3.99 issues for the BOGO sale.
That means you can get Death of Captain Marvel and God Loves Man Kills (alongside two #1 issues) for two bucks. This already happened last time and I'm honestly surprised they haven't fixed it.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PelvicNerve posted:

Last time they did this, I grabbed collections as some of them are great value. You just have to find an even number of them. Obviously, if you're fine with the MU model, this is mostly irrelevant.

:lol:

If you think MU alone quenches ones thirst (well it kind of does, but man I like having it in normal downloaded fashion)...

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I'm curious why people are buying these comics when Marvel Unlimited has them for $10 a month? I can see doing it for new comics or comics that they haven't put up yet, but it seems silly.

Is it because you can only have ten downloaded at a time on a device?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I still buy comics physically (I'm trying to cut back) and I borrow a lot from my friend, so I wouldn't get much Marvel Unlimited use. The ones I bought are series I already started buying, so I'm just catching up. It's a lot easier to buy comics in small batches and not thinking about the total cost!

I'm thinking about transitioning to MU, maybe for one or two months a year to catch up.

I feel a lot better buying Image comics because I get DRM free copies, so I actually "own" those.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm curious why people are buying these comics when Marvel Unlimited has them for $10 a month? I can see doing it for new comics or comics that they haven't put up yet, but it seems silly.

Marvel Unlimited's support in Europe is pretty shabby, area I live in doesn't really have people use creditcards and they aren't planning to bring over their prepaid cards, so Comixology is only thing you got over here.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr Hootington posted:

I also find guided view works a lot better with purchases. With MU a lot of times text is scanned imperfectly and you'll have dialogue badly cut off. I also just like having more offline options. I'm a wifi only tablet so my access to MU can be more limited. I also like to have a full series locked down for reading. Makes life a lot easier for me.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Mr Hootington posted:

I like to zoom in on pannels on my tablet, the scans on MU aren't great. MU pannel view blows sometimes when I read on my phone.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Marvel Unlimited is miserable stinking garbage designed and coded by chimpanzees on meth. Constant crashing combined with a 2-minute load time on startup, and just recently it's started throwing up a similar load time for every comic I view. Frankly I'm considering just paying the subscription and pirating rather than using the app.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
See I hate guided few and have a kindle Fire that is just about the size of a comic book so viewing the issues on it is perfect. That said I also don't use the app, but link directly from the site and while navigating can be a pain it is usually fine when I zoom in.

I guess I'm just lucky and haven't run into any problems except them not having all the issues of Daredevil volume one :shrug:

Edit: I did remember I tired the app on my Iphone for a second and it is hot garbage. Everything takes forever to load.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 19, 2015

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

SW Siege is unbelievably good.

I just got done reading Siege. It was unbelievebly good and I wish it didn't end.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Fear Itself sale - does anyone need a warning at this point? Save your money. Or buy Daytripper for $5 while you can.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Space Fish posted:

Fear Itself sale - does anyone need a warning at this point? Save your money. Or buy Daytripper for $5 while you can.

Is it that bad? I was made aware or Cap rear end beating Julian Assange and Sentient Abe Lincoln Statute. That sounds pretty good.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

gfanikf posted:

Is it that bad? I was made aware or Cap rear end beating Julian Assange and Sentient Abe Lincoln Statute. That sounds pretty good.

Neither of those happen in Fear Itself proper, they happen in the Secret Avengers tie-in, which sucks. Like, I liked Fear Itself a lot more than a lot of people (not a huge bar to cross), and that Secret Avengers run still limbos under it safely. Get a month of Marvel Unlimited and just read it there if you're really curious, then spend the rest of the month reading anything better. It won't be hard.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There's a few tie-ins that were good but they main story was pretty bad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The X-men tie in is the best written but beware: Greg Land.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Journey into Mystery is the best written, and its the start of Kid Loki.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Let's not fight about which Gillen-penned book is the best, they're all the best.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Fear Itself 7.3 the Captain America one is pretty good. Its the start of the Winter Soldier series and that was a great one.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Yeah, people should get Journey Into Mystery. That whole run was fantastic.

And yes, Fear Itself 7.3 is a must read in Bru's Winter Soldier timeline. Another one (7.2?) is important to Fraction's Thor IIRC.
I missed both at the time as I had written off Fear Itself as putrid bullshit, and ended up being super confused.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

PelvicNerve posted:

Yeah, people should get Journey Into Mystery. That whole run was fantastic.

And yes, Fear Itself 7.3 is a must read in Bru's Winter Soldier timeline. Another one (7.2?) is important to Fraction's Thor IIRC.
I missed both at the time as I had written off Fear Itself as putrid bullshit, and ended up being super confused.

Fear Itself .1,.2, and .3 are hilarious as they undue everything that happened in Fear Itself. Bucky's death, Thor's death, and Paris's fate. It was a crossover that never should have happened. It should have remained the Thor/Cap crossover. Even Bucky's death should not have happened in it, as if I remember correctly it was suppose to happen in the Gulag arc.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

zoux posted:

I realize this isn't really the thread for this, but why does everyone seem to have a problem with Land? I've been rereading old X-Men issues, when they first make the move to California, and other than the fact that he can't seem to draw anyone's face with an expression other than orgasmic joy, I find the art perfectly serviceable.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Jedi posted:

orgasmic joy

There's a reeeeeeeeally good reason for this.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Shitshow posted:

There's a reeeeeeeeally good reason for this.

And Wikipedia clears that one up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jedi posted:

I realize this isn't really the thread for this, but why does everyone seem to have a problem with Land? I've been rereading old X-Men issues, when they first make the move to California, and other than the fact that he can't seem to draw anyone's face with an expression other than orgasmic joy, I find the art perfectly serviceable.

Just search Greg Land sucks, there's tons out there on why he's terrible.