Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Clinton's going to testify pretty soon right? So that's going to be a pretty poo poo show.

Thursday. I hope she goes off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Kro-Bar posted:

I don't think anyone cares, but Jim Webb is thinking about making an independent run.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/jim-webb-mulls-running-independent?cid=sm_tw_msnbc

Did they get a quote from his greatest political enemy?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

He said Muslims were bad.

Also, he's black and a brain surgeon so "see we like smart black people, we're totally not racist!" is probably the id of the people that support him despite the fact that nearly everything that comes out of his mouth is lunacy.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

Thursday. I hope she goes off.

She'll be cagey, but looking to attack weak arguments and make her case that the whole thing is a political show. She's probably spent a lot of time since the debate preparing for this, so she should be very ready.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Trump hasn't really opened fire on Carson quite yet, and I imagine once he starts, Trump will start running away with the lead. Trump is like the archetypical bully, just making GBS threads on everyone and feeding off their attempts to cordially swat back. Carson says terrible poo poo but is really soft spoken and not great at speaking to crowds. Trump is probably going to go after him for being weak/low energy and talk poo poo about brain surgery.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Lote posted:

Did they get a quote from his greatest political enemy?

I hear the AP left a voicemail but he wasn't around to talk to.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kro-Bar posted:

I don't think anyone cares, but Jim Webb is thinking about making an independent run.

I wonder if he could gently caress up Virginia for the Dems. It would be truly pathetic if he couldn't.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
WELCOME TO GRIDLOCK COUNTRY YOU LIVE HERE NOW AND YOU LOVE IT GET A BEER FROM THE FRIDGE AND STAY A WHILE

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/257360-boehner-to-sign-defense-bill-sparking-showdown-with-obama

quote:

House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) announced on Monday that he will sign the 2016 defense policy bill on Tuesday, setting into motion the 10 days the president will have to veto the legislation, which he says he will do.

President Obama has threatened to veto the legislation -- which authorizes Pentagon funding and programs for 2016 -- due to a larger spending fight with Republicans, and GOP leaders are hoping to make it as public and painful for the president as possible.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
If Trump actually won the nomination, I think the only real unknown for the election would be whether it is an epic disaster for the GOP down the ballot, or if the voters will compartmentalize the clown show at the top as a separate thing.

I think it would really freak people out and drive turnout for the Dems.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
Webb barely beat George Allen after he called a young man a monkey on camera. I don't think he has much of a base here, but Obama only won VA in 2012 by 100,000 votes so anything is possible.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FAUXTON posted:

Trump hasn't really opened fire on Carson quite yet, and I imagine once he starts, Trump will start running away with the lead. Trump is like the archetypical bully, just making GBS threads on everyone and feeding off their attempts to cordially swat back. Carson says terrible poo poo but is really soft spoken and not great at speaking to crowds. Trump is probably going to go after him for being weak/low energy and talk poo poo about brain surgery.

Trump tried, but Carson's support is pretty deep among evangelical wingnuts and has more credibility than Trump about those issues and with the "i'm a doctor" issue. Trump tried calling him a bad doctor and it didn't go over well.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PostNouveau posted:

I wonder if he could gently caress up Virginia for the Dems. It would be truly pathetic if he couldn't.

It's not clear to me he would draw more support from Dems than Republicans. Either way though it would be a big deal because he'd be running in the center of both candidates so he'd be drawing votes in the states most likely to decide the election, not the least.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Maarek posted:

Webb barely beat George Allen after he called a young man a monkey on camera. I don't think he has much of a base here, but Obama only won VA in 2012 by 100,000 votes so anything is possible.

Does he even have high name recognition here? He last heavily campaigned in VA in 2006, was kinda low-profile as a Senator, and hasn't done gently caress-all since then. I don't really think he has a real huge following.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What if Webb actually ends up splitting the GOP vote instead. The guy is probably a better candidate than Jeb loving Bush.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

evilweasel posted:

Trump tried, but Carson's support is pretty deep among evangelical wingnuts and has more credibility than Trump about those issues and with the "i'm a doctor" issue. Trump tried calling him a bad doctor and it didn't go over well.

Low Energy worked well against Bush and Carson is practically comatose in comparison. On the other hand, the evangelicals backing him could just see that as another mark of godliness. Carson's an Adventist, so his credibility on all things 4Jesus is fairly unimpeachable, so I'm hoping it comes down to whether the GOP is led around by theocratic assholes or secular assholes because you know that's going to be a messy breakup.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

People seriously hate this kid. It's insane.

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.

Jackson Taus posted:

Does he even have high name recognition here? He last heavily campaigned in VA in 2006, was kinda low-profile as a Senator, and hasn't done gently caress-all since then. I don't really think he has a real huge following.

He doesn't. He's also pissed off a lot of active Democrats in the state who worked hard to get him into office when he decided he was bored of the Senate after one term, so I wouldn't be worried about him being a factor in VA.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FAUXTON posted:

Low Energy worked well against Bush and Carson is practically comatose in comparison. On the other hand, the evangelicals backing him could just see that as another mark of godliness. Carson's an Adventist, so his credibility on all things 4Jesus is fairly unimpeachable, so I'm hoping it comes down to whether the GOP is led around by theocratic assholes or secular assholes because you know that's going to be a messy breakup.

Low energy worked because nobody really likes Jeb! rather than because it was such a compelling attack. It was basically something Trump picked out of a hat to bully him with and his cowering and wetting his pants at the insults did the rest.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

FAUXTON posted:

Low Energy worked well against Bush and Carson is practically comatose in comparison.

I dunno; even a racist blowhard like Trump probably realizes that calling a prominent black GOP figure lazy is something better implied than shouted outright.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

seiferguy posted:

Also, he's black and a brain surgeon so "see we like smart black people, we're totally not racist!" is probably the id of the people that support him despite the fact that nearly everything that comes out of his mouth is lunacy.

pretty much. He has credential in a higly qualified field as a great brain surgeon (which makes him appear intelligent in all things to the base and gives his uncle tom phrases credence) and he says poo poo that huckleberry says but in a gentler way.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

blue squares posted:

People seriously hate this kid. It's insane.

It's a combination of racists, bitter nerds that feel that he's a shittier nerd and how dare he get any sort of publicity for his weak rear end clock when their high school hobbies didn't get them anything, and both.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I dunno; even a racist blowhard like Trump probably realizes that calling a prominent black GOP figure lazy is something better implied than shouted outright.

This is Trump we're talking about.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

No way Carson has the chops to survive long enough in the spotlight to get the nom, just look at whatever the hell happened to Fiorina

Still, Carson scares me way more than Trump does because he'd be the biggest industry puppet since Reagen, only he'd be an evangelical one at that. Dude is already so far out of the his depth that he can't see the shore anymore and the real stuff hasn't even started.

I hope Trump goes full Jeb! on him and doesn't let him spin away from the stupid poo poo he's said

Save us, Trump-san :ohdear:

edit - and yeah I have zero doubt that Trump wouldn't take a hit if he did some blatant race attacks on Carson. Trump isn't relying on the evangelical vote and won't get it from Carson no matter what, so he'd just be solidifying his hold on the crazies and possibly bringing even more in

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 19, 2015

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

seiferguy posted:

Dori Monson has been a skid mark on Seattle Radio for as long as I can remember, but I've never heard of him doing something as awful as this. I hate this guy so much.

He is alive and Mike Webb is dead. We live in the worst alternate universe.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

nachos posted:

What if Webb actually ends up splitting the GOP vote instead. The guy is probably a better candidate than Jeb loving Bush.

Not a chance. Webb is pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, pro-Obamacare, pro-labor, anti-Iraq war, a staunch advocate for reforming the criminal justice system, and believes global warming is a thing and that the EPA should do something about it.. The voters he's trying to court (socially liberal but like guns and the military) don't exist. The fact that he has actual legislative experience would put the nail in his coffin for GOP voters.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Epic High Five posted:

Is it possible to laugh, cry and drink liquor all at the same time?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

He's an idiot if he runs third party. What does he even expect to do other than gently caress over the country with a Trump presidency?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Epic High Five posted:

No way Carson has the chops to survive long enough in the spotlight to get the nom, just look at whatever the hell happened to Fiorina

Still, Carson scares me way more than Trump does because he'd be the biggest industry puppet since Reagen, only he'd be an evangelical one at that. Dude is already so far out of the his depth that he can't see the shore anymore and the real stuff hasn't even started.

I hope Trump goes full Jeb! on him and doesn't let him spin away from the stupid poo poo he's said

Reagan knew how to appeal to people outside his bubble. Carson only appeals to the wingnut crowd.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Kro-Bar posted:

quote:

Webb is a true maverick, and has held ideas at odds with his party’s on everything from climate change to affirmative action to women’s rights, to LGBT rights, to guns, to abortion, to fossil fuel and more. 
He's a Republican.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I think Webb could be a real asset in another person's administration, so I think running independent and biting your thumb at the DNC (as much as they deserve it) is a dumb move

That said, I think he'd steal more Republican votes than Democratic ones, though he wouldn't steal much of either

I wonder if the Dems are going to be smart and hammer away at the fact that coal jobs went up under Obama (because it now takes more manpower to extract less coal because we're running out), or if they'll be dumb and say something like, "we're running out of coal you need to move on"

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Radish posted:

He's an idiot if he runs third party. What does he even expect to do other than gently caress over the country with a Trump presidency?

lol, no one I've spoken to here even knows who the hell he is, and that's after seeing him whine and complain in the debate. Webb wouldn't get more than 5,000 votes in a general election.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

SumYungGui posted:

If there's one thing this thread has proven time and again, it's yes.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Radish posted:

It's a combination of racists, bitter nerds that feel that he's a shittier nerd and how dare he get any sort of publicity for his weak rear end clock when their high school hobbies didn't get them anything, and both.

It is a lovely clock that really any middle schooler could make, but if you make a lovely clock and then get arrested and treated like a criminal for going to school while Muslim, I say you get a free pass and we can pretend it was cool. I'm completely OK with that.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

This is Trump we're talking about.

His ability to make the narrative of the primaries be whatever he wishes it to be is unreal. He will find a way to make it work.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Gravel Gravy posted:

He's a Republican.

His actual voting record would suggest otherwise

quote:

Supports Roe v. Wade and abortion rights. (Jun 2006)
Voted NO on restricting UN funding for population control policies. (Mar 2009)
Voted NO on defining unborn child as eligible for SCHIP. (Mar 2008)
Voted NO on prohibiting minors crossing state lines for abortion. (Mar 2008)
Voted NO on barring HHS grants to organizations that perform abortions. (Oct 2007)
Voted YES on expanding research to more embryonic stem cell lines. (Apr 2007)

Evolution on gay marriage has been good for the country. (Oct 2014)
Supports civil unions; opposes constitutional ban. (Jun 2006)
Opposes constitutional ban of gay marriage. (Jun 2006)
Government’s power should end at my front door. (Apr 2006)
ENDA: prohibit employment discrimination for gays. (Jun 2009)
Repeal Don't-Ask-Don't-Tell, and reinstate discharged gays. (Mar 2010)

Support alternative sources instead of drilling ANWR. (Jun 2006)
Voted NO on barring EPA from regulating greenhouse gases. (Apr 2011)
Voted YES on tax incentives for energy production and conservation. (Jun 2008)
Voted YES on addressing CO2 emissions without considering India & China. (May 2008)
Voted YES on removing oil & gas exploration subsidies. (Jun 2007)
Voted YES on making oil-producing and exporting cartels illegal. (Jun 2007)
Sign on to UN Framework Convention on Climate Change. (Jan 2007)

Voted YES on increasing tax rate for people earning over $1 million. (Mar 2008)
Voted NO on allowing AMT reduction without budget offset. (Mar 2008)
Voted NO on raising the Death Tax exemption to $5M from $1M. (Feb 2008)
Voted NO on repealing the Alternative Minimum Tax. (Mar 2007)
Voted NO on raising estate tax exemption to $5 million. (Mar 2007)

Voted NO on the Ryan Budget: Medicare choice, tax & spending cuts. (May 2011)
Voted YES on regulating tobacco as a drug. (Jun 2009)
Voted YES on expanding the Children's Health Insurance Program. (Jan 2009)
Voted YES on overriding veto on expansion of Medicare. (Jul 2008)
Voted NO on means-testing to determine Medicare Part D premium. (Mar 2008)
Voted NO on allowing tribal Indians to opt out of federal healthcare. (Feb 2008)
Voted YES on adding 2 to 4 million children to SCHIP eligibility. (Nov 2007)
Voted YES on requiring negotiated Rx prices for Medicare part D. (Apr 2007)
Establish a national childhood cancer database. (Mar 2007)
Preserve access to Medicaid & SCHIP during economic downturn. (Apr 2008)

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

So is the article a crock of poo poo or did he reverse his previous stances on the aforementioned issues?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I don't want Jim Webb to kill me with a grenade.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

SumYungGui posted:

Sure it is. I live in Michigan, I do it all the time.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

SumYungGui posted:

Ask John Boehner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Jim Webb 2016: I'll murder you if you don't vote for me

• Locked thread