Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

frank.club posted:

Did they really nerf all other smuggling missions too?
I can't say for certain but it definitely looks like they hosed up smuggling missions everywhere lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chrysophylax posted:

I don't know. I bet they did tho, since it's a :frontear: nerf - salting the earth

Oh poo poo people not in their 40's are enjoying the game gently caress!

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

frank.club posted:

Hows the view from a type nine and can we cram it full of condors come horizons time

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Literally Kermit posted:

Hows the view from a type nine and can we cram it full of condors come horizons time

I'm going to be a fuckin space beehive

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

frank.club posted:

Did they really nerf all other smuggling missions too?

Yesterday I was swimming in 300k 20LY missions with a few 400k ones at Merchant trading rank, now they're paying about 100-150k. Max I've seen in Imperial space is still under 200k.

E:
Just saw an 8.5LY one paying 44k. I think that would have been around 150k before.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 19, 2015

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Man, I was gonna do another smuggling run to work towards my Imp ship grind but with the new CG rewards I'm just gonna buy the Courier anyway

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

frank.club posted:

Oi! I'm in my 40s, and I remember the original Elite (the one you could *save* and reload in after a fuckup no less, even if it was on a cassette tape...), and I resent that.

:frontear: are idiots for pandering to the fun-hating arseholes who measure their self-worth by how much they enjoy suffering a tedious video game, but they come in all ages.

Hell, back in the '80s when we had no internet, and game discussion happened in this place called the 'school playground', anyone who found a cool shortcut/exploit was a hero, and you were damm sure it wasn't going to get nerfed!

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Adult Sword Owner posted:

OK he did have an Asp but gently caress this guy
Unless that dude has his name on a few thousand stars, I don't want to hear from him about easy money making the game boring.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay now I need a good trade route

That Cegreeth agarla still good?

frank.club fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 19, 2015

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Is 70 million enough to get a decent fit (Maybe not an A class FSD) on a Clipper?

Someone quoted me about 120 mil for a good PvP fit earlier. If I can grab a Clipper off of this CG I'll buy a paint pack to join the other Flipper's out there, pending it's a viable thing to do rather than just stick to my Vulture.

10 more millions and I could potentially look into fitting out a FAS after running up some Fed rank.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Zaardvark posted:

The whole thing is super fast if you're in a scoop-less Asp.

Wait but how

I'm trying to spec one out and I can't figure out how to get 500 ly range

http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/05D5D5A4D4D5D5C----------050402f3f300f2.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==

Do I have too many cargo racks?

Scooping is what I hate most about the run

e: It's kit this up or go straight for a FAS I can afford and go pew pew haz

http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_assault_ship/25A5A5A5D5A4D4C27271b1b0j00--4a0335295327.Iw18cQ==.Aw18cQ==

e2: vvvv rad thanks dude

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 19, 2015

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Wait but how

http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/05D5D5A4D4D5D5C----------050402f3f300f2.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==

http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/04A5D5A4D4A5D5C------00040404f6040240020101.Iw18WQ==.IwBhrSumg===?bn=Long%20Hop%20Asp

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Wait but how

Seriously, don't be greedy. 80t cargo and a 5B fuel scoop will be the far better choice for your peace of mind. What if you find a way to stretch your range to 500 ly but accidentally jump to a brown dwarf at the very end? Wouldn't you feel silly?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Zaardvark posted:

So, I poked around Sothis just earlier. In my opinion, cherry picking missions from Sothis / Ceos is still a reasonably lucrative run - it's just not as ridiculously profitable as it was pre-nerf. Hopping between the two stations in Sothis and the one in Ceos, I picked up 4 missions worth slightly under a million each, and filled the rest of my hold with the rare good there (crystalline gold). That's around 4.5 million for the half hour it takes to resolve the four deliveries. So it's still faster than mining, and at least as good as mass hauling. I'll note I didn't see a single mission that paid over one million credits, though, and even those were quite rare - I was only able to pick up 4 of them between the three stations. The whole thing is super fast if you're in a scoop-less Asp. Given the volume of missions with big payouts, though, there is no longer any incentive to go there in a ship larger than an Asp.

tl;dr Sothis is no longer a gold rush, but it's possibly still the most efficient use of time for money. Just by a smaller margin, post-nerf.
I picked up a 5.5m smuggling mission about an hour and a half ago at Sothis, so they still exist but seem to be really rare.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

SciFiDownBeat posted:

R E M E M B E R
S O T H I S

Sothis helped finance my 8A powerplant, so yeah, :rip:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Wait but how

e: It's kit this up or go straight for a FAS I can afford and go pew pew haz

http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_assault_ship/25A5A5A5D5A4D4C27271b1b0j00--4a0335295327.Iw18cQ==.Aw18cQ==

e2: vvvv rad thanks dude

http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/04A5D5A4D4D5D5C------02---05380202432f2i.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==

This is far better for a relaxed smuggling run. At least in my opinion. Since you're not using much energy, you can easily squeeze out even more range by downgrading to a lower class A power plant. (I suggest letting it be a A-class for the better heat management. The one time you go sun diving against your will you will thank me for that.)

The FAS-option is also good, though.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Libluini posted:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/04A5D5A4D4D5D5C------02---05380202432f2i.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==

This is far better for a relaxed smuggling run. At least in my opinion. Since you're not using much energy, you can easily squeeze out even more range by downgrading to a lower class A power plant. (I suggest letting it be a A-class for the better heat management. The one time you go sun diving against your will you will thank me for that.)

The FAS-option is also good, though.

I'd probably lose the Surface Scanner too, since if you're kitting out something for smuggling, you're probably going to want to just jump in, honk, scoop, and leave ASAP.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

LCL-Dead posted:

Is 70 million enough to get a decent fit (Maybe not an A class FSD) on a Clipper?

Someone quoted me about 120 mil for a good PvP fit earlier. If I can grab a Clipper off of this CG I'll buy a paint pack to join the other Flipper's out there, pending it's a viable thing to do rather than just stick to my Vulture.

10 more millions and I could potentially look into fitting out a FAS after running up some Fed rank.
The main expense on the Clipper is the shield if you put in a Size 7 one but remember that a 6A shield will still give you a good amount of shields when you couple it with boosters. The following should be pretty okay for PvP since each time you pop a shield cell it'll restore half of your total shields:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_clipper/06A6B5A5D6A5D4C1e1e27270n0404045t4f326o02020101.Iw18aQ==.IwBj4y2VyA==

It's about 76m normally and if you can I'd stretch it a bit to put A thrusters on it because they make the Clipper as agile as a vulture. With the upcoming discounts you should be able to get the Clipper hull for around 15m and then if you put the rest of the stuff on in a system controlled/exploited by Li Rong-Yui you'll get a 15% discount on all the modules and should be able to do the Clipper+A Thrusters for 70-80m.

e: you can also swap all the cargo bays for hull reinforcements if you're just doing PvP since you won't need the space. If you're aiming to do conflict zones you should drop the KWS for another shield booster and swap the multis for more pulse lasers so you don't have to worry about ammo.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 19, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ah, the lovely lazy nerf. I'll take it as a sign that I should uninstall this game.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
Sothis was never going to last. Took me from 660 million to over a billion total assets.

C'est la vie.

It was so much godamn fun, the flight time anyway not the board refreshing.

Moral to the story FDev - players will quite happily do missions, but your Elite ranked player base isnt going to dance for peanuts.

The mission payout scaling based on rank should be ramped up considerably at the last four ranks. Elite rank missions should be completely absurd.

Arach fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 19, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

3 posted:

I'd probably lose the Surface Scanner too, since if you're kitting out something for smuggling, you're probably going to want to just jump in, honk, scoop, and leave ASAP.

Eh, I keep forgetting not everyone is an explorer, all my ships have scanners. Because sometimes you just find something interesting and fitting scanners into the two smallest slots isn't really degrading your ship performance. On average, you'll probably make more money by occasionally scanning something than by cramming some more tons of cargo inside. But I guess it's up to personal taste. I just don't like having no scanners. :shrug:

timn
Mar 16, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Ah, the lovely lazy nerf. I'll take it as a sign that I should uninstall this game.

This was pretty clearly an unintended edge case. Less nerf and more bug fix. For new players I cant imagine that instantly blowing past the entire progression curve that does exist in the game is very fun. It was certainly a breath of fresh air for those who already hit the wall past vulture/clipper, though.

timn fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 19, 2015

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

SynthOrange posted:

Just let go, no one is going to blame you for it, but your negativity is really starting to annoy me.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Too bad they nerfed this. IMO the issue Sothis highlighted was that smuggling is way too easy and has minimal consequences if you screw up, making it effectively a freight mission for millions where you might have to pay a <1% fine every now and then. A better fix would be to rework smuggling so that the risk of delivering weapons and drugs warrants higher pay than delivering rocks and tea, but they look the lazy nerf route and made smuggling even less interesting.

Libluini posted:

Seriously, don't be greedy. 80t cargo and a 5B fuel scoop will be the far better choice for your peace of mind. What if you find a way to stretch your range to 500 ly but accidentally jump to a brown dwarf at the very end? Wouldn't you feel silly?

I don't see how that would happen unless you're manually setting waypoints instead of just letting your space computer handle it. I did all my Sothis runs in this Asp and never came close to getting into trouble. The unladen range is more than enough to get to Sothis, and the laden range is more than enough to get to whichever delivery system is closest to Sothis. On a few occasions I traded the smaller fuel tanks for cargo holds to squeeze in another mission or two.

SynthOrange posted:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

timn posted:

This was pretty clearly an unintended edge case. Less nerf and more bug fix. For new players I cant imagine that instantly blowing past the entire progression curve that does exist in the game is very fun. It was certainly a breath of fresh air for those who already hit the wall past vulture/clipper, though.

The reason that people want to be able to blow through content is that their lack of balance passing has made the game extremely stagnant, they haven't even touched modules or weapons or ship stats (other than a few heavy nerfs relatively shortly after release) even though there's obvious room for improvement. They have added new stuff and espcially the 1.4 additions are very welcome but they seem weirdly dedicated to never changing anything except to nerf it into the ground.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Literally Kermit posted:

Just let go, no one is going to blame you for it, but your negativity is really starting to annoy me.

It#s m,akling me real depressed, honestlly.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

They're making the Eve mistake of ignoring their core gameplay while they add new features that seldom work nearly as well as they describe.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think the Sothis missions represent what smuggling missions should be like.

Imagine if you could buy 32 units of space weed and then automatically get a mission to deliver them in 1-5 units at several stations all in the same general direction, not necessarily as far as Sothis, but still a big distance.

You get paid for each successful drop-off, but if you get caught, the whole mission is borked so you might get a much smaller reward if you get caught on the second delivery.

Increase the intensity as it goes, making it more and more hectic.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shine posted:

I don't see how that would happen unless you're manually setting waypoints instead of just letting your space computer handle it. I did all my Sothis runs in this Asp and never came close to getting into trouble. The unladen range is more than enough to get to Sothis, and the laden range is more than enough to get to whichever delivery system is closest to Sothis. On a few occasions I traded the smaller fuel tanks for cargo holds to squeeze in another mission or two.

Man, I keep forgetting how small the bubble is. You're right, you probably could make a route between two settled systems with stations and therefore never run into trouble as long as you're 100% sure your fuel tank can stretch that far.

On the other hand, I prefer sometimes to just go into a sight-seeing tour a couple jumps sideways, even in the bubble. Not having a scoop and being forced to go to stations for refuels would just suck for me. In a ship without them I feel like travelling blind and with a silent death counter counting down.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 20, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Literally Kermit posted:

I wouldnt be so negative if this game did anything right. I enjoyed playing it but after while the half assed... everything just gets hard to ignore.

At least I had a pretty spaceship for a little while. :unsmith:

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 20, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

SynthOrange posted:

I wouldnt be so negative if this game did anything right. I enjoyed playing it but after while the half assed... everything just gets hard to ignore.

Bye Felicia.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Maybe I should start posting over and over again how I enjoy everything you find boring and claim it is because Frontier made the game perfect.

Would that annoy you? If yes, maybe pull back on the negative lane before you crash, Nancy.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

SynthOrange posted:

I know there's a lot of stuff that is still questionably designed or flat out broken (like all MMOs amirite) but the game does do lots of stuff right (flight model, combat, exploration) and has been getting considerably better over time. It's a sandbox game and we've all described it as 'a mile wide and an inch deep' but due to the nature of the game you sort of have to do your own thing. I don't know if you've gotten involved with any of the Diamond Frogs stuff we've been organising out of the PGS thread but I know I personally find actually having a goal and doing stuff with other people a lot more interesting than just 'grind credits for x hours' so maybe give that a try if you haven't already.

At the end of the day E:D is basically a B2P MMO so you can put it down and come back to it when they've added more stuff that interests you. Even if you won't get some of the flagship features if a new expansion's been released they usually fix up the base mechanics to be at parity so the general baseline experience may well be better at that point and you might enjoy it more.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

The reason that people want to be able to blow through content is that their lack of balance passing has made the game extremely stagnant, they haven't even touched modules or weapons or ship stats (other than a few heavy nerfs relatively shortly after release) even though there's obvious room for improvement. They have added new stuff and espcially the 1.4 additions are very welcome but they seem weirdly dedicated to never changing anything except to nerf it into the ground.

And blowing past what content that exists to get to a non-existent end game helps because...?

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Sothis got me from 71m liquid and around 280m assets to 515m liquid and 828 assets in under a week.

Time to gently caress around with a 'Conda doing what-the-gently caress-ever. Probably gonna trade as much Sothis Crystal Gold in to Mother Goat as I can before I go insane and try to Conda mine/look for ATT again.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
I'm finally in the market to upgrade my rares-trading/sothis run Cobra (which is kitted out with pretty much A class everything).. Looking at an Asp. Looking to basically stay multi-role, so that I can also dabble in a little CZ if I so do so / defend myself if I get interdicted.

I've got about 45mill with 5 mill buffer for rebuys in the bank, anyone have any loadouts to recommend, or should I just go hog wild A class on everything? Should I just hold out and build a bankroll for a Python? I might try some exploring, which I would imagine would be much much harder in a Python compared to a Cobra/Asp.

For reference, here's my current Cobra setup.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iii/24A4E4A3D3A3A4C0s0s24240j0403034501-2f.Iw1-kA==.Aw1-kA==

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
To honor finally reaching the edge of the Milkyway, I present to you this shot:

http://inara.cz/gallery/0/1589

I call it "Elite: Horizons Arrives Early". :v:

This planet is actually an Earth-like with a giant glacier on it, I just made the screenshot look like I was passing some mountaing range while landing. If sapient life ever developes on that rock, they'll have a lot of real-estate available in-system: That same system has multiple terraforming-candidates and high-metal planets to exploit. Too bad it's about 9k light years from the bubble, it would be perfect for colonization!

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

timn posted:

And blowing past what content that exists to get to a non-existent end game helps because...?

Because then you can either move on to some other activity or actually enjoy the content that does exist in any ship and configuration you dream, aka playing the sandbox with any/all tools

I've been running missions with a PVP fit FDL because hardmode is super fun when you don't feel the need to min/max all the time (which is a personal failing, I know)

thetechnoloser posted:

Looking at an Asp. Looking to basically stay multi-role, so that I can also dabble in a little CZ if I so do so / defend myself if I get interdicted.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iii/24A4E4A3D3A3A4C0s0s24240j0403034501-2f.Iw1-kA==.Aw1-kA==

You won't be able to CZ on an asp, sorry. It doesn't have the shields, the firepower or the internal slots for sustained fighting. It's also almost as large as a Python, which means you'll be a pretty big target at all ranges.

If you're adamant in staying multirole, I suggest something like this - but this is basically an all-missions runner, capable of 1v1 fights. Maybe swap one of the cell banks for more cargo space, if you wanna haul more than fight.

If you want to run CZs, I suggest a Vulture or Courier, at that price range.

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 20, 2015

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

can i interest you in some spaceship jpegs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

SynthOrange posted:

I feel your frustration. There hasn't been a good space game in loving forever and this game has all the ground work to being something I would play the everloving gently caress out of, but then it just sorta runs out of steam.

You might want to check out CQC mode if you have access to it. It's basically Elite: Deathmatch and if you're looking for fast-paced combat it's pretty cool.

• Locked thread