Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Raxivace posted:

Let me rephrase the question: Are we supposed to think that Big Boss/Venom Snake is paranoid to the point where he's recording literally everything being said at Mother Base?

Big Boss is watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Raxivace posted:

Let me rephrase the question: Are we supposed to think that Big Boss/Venom Snake is paranoid to the point where he's recording literally everything being said at Mother Base?

No, some tapes are explicitly recorded by Kaz or Ocelot (e.g. Huey's interrogations) and one can assume that the Truth tapes were recorded by Cipher (but that they only exist for the player, not the characters). Chances are that many of the tapes were never recorded at all in-universe and they only "exist" in the menus to deliver crucial plot information to the player.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Wouldn't be surprised if most of the tapes only exist in his head

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Bholder posted:

The Paz tapes almost certainly do.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Bholder posted:

I assumed many of those "state of africa, and the world" cassette tapes were part of his primer in the hypnotherapy poo poo.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Onmi posted:

"Hey did you see that Big Boss went up to that construction area again?" "Yeah he was just standing there, making a girl voice into his tape recorder"

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Ekusukariba posted:

"Hey did you see that Big Boss went up to that construction area again?" "Yeah he was just standing there, making a girl voice into his tape recorder"

Whoever you are Boss, I'll only take orders from you

TheBuckmister
Oct 18, 2008
Venom explicitly tells Huey that their conversation isn't being recorded when Huey brings it up on one of the tapes. From his tone it seems pretty clear Venom knows it isn't true so he is concealing his recorder at least some of the time.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man I kind of regret reading that stupid NeverBeGameOver reddit. that one user, the "TadeusPadron" guy is some autistic retard desperately making up some truly extraordinary bullshit. that "delta man" poo poo wherein "you aren't the medic, there's a 3rd guy!!!" lowered my IQ and then there's that "this game was created by a phantom studio" theory he wrote, like wtf how badly does this game break people's brains

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
Apparently Sniper wolf outfit and golden arm got patched out of the PC version, not sure about the other versions

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Really? Any reason given? I thought the golden arm was a pre order bonus.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MinibarMatchman posted:

man I kind of regret reading that stupid NeverBeGameOver reddit. that one user, the "TadeusPadron" guy is some autistic retard desperately making up some truly extraordinary bullshit. that "delta man" poo poo wherein "you aren't the medic, there's a 3rd guy!!!" lowered my IQ and then there's that "this game was created by a phantom studio" theory he wrote, like wtf how badly does this game break people's brains

why are some people so upset about venom not "being" big boss. It makes the whole big boss legend much more interesting. plus it explains why venom doesnt act exactly like BB.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

why are some people so upset about venom not "being" big boss. It makes the whole big boss legend much more interesting. plus it explains why venom doesnt act exactly like BB.

Because people wanted MacBeth, and instead they got Kurosawa's Kagemusha.

People always get upset when they don't get what they wanted.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Raxivace posted:

Because people wanted MacBeth, and instead they got Kurosawa's Kagemusha.

People always get upset when they don't get what they wanted.

i mean i get where they come from. I wanted a macbeth/breaking bad story too. But at the same time i found the one that was told pretty enjoyable. i am disipointed how much got cut though.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Ekusukariba posted:

Apparently Sniper wolf outfit and golden arm got patched out of the PC version, not sure about the other versions

Hmmm...

The sniper wolf outfit confirms that they're releasing sniper wolf dlc

I wonder what the golden arm means?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

notZaar posted:

Really? Any reason given? I thought the golden arm was a pre order bonus.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Onmi posted:

At least in one of the Huey interrogations, he's clearly got the tape recorder on him at the time.

There's a cassette that goes "you aren't recording this right"

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

I thought golden arm was ground zeroes and silver arm was preorder? Or some such

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Slightly Toasted posted:

I thought golden arm was ground zeroes and silver arm was preorder? Or some such

Golden arm is ground zeroes import, Silver arm I think is a be all missions including the redos

Ekusukariba fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 19, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Broseph Brostar posted:

Hmmm...

The sniper wolf outfit confirms that they're releasing sniper wolf dlc

I'm not sure I understand your logic. Are you saying they removed it so they can sell it as DLC?

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

RatHat posted:

I'm not sure I understand your logic. Are you saying they removed it so they can sell it as DLC?

People think its either a bug or turned to dlc, Sniper wolf outfit at least stays equipped if its already on but disappears if you unequip, not sure about the arm

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Ekusukariba posted:

Golden arm is ground zeroes important, Silver arm I think is a be all missions including the redos

Naked Silver + the arm is for just beating all the 'redo' missions; subsistence, total stealth, and EXTREME modes.
Naked Gold + the arm is for beating all of the above with S ranks.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Colapops posted:

Naked Silver + the arm is for just beating all the 'redo' missions; subsistence, total stealth, and EXTREME modes.
Naked Gold + the arm is for beating all of the above with S ranks.

No, golden arm is for owning Ground Zeroes. I had it at the very start of the game. Maybe you get it for S-ranking the redo missions if you didn't already have it?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

RatHat posted:

what the gently caress would be the point selling DLC for a character you are required to lose to beat the game?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

MinibarMatchman posted:

what the gently caress would be the point selling DLC for a character you are required to lose to beat the game?
So its confirmed there is DLC to bring Quiet back :tinfoil:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
there was a easter egg you could do with the golden arm and golden character skin, you'd get extra whacky dialogue when launching a mission but it was only voiced in the japanese version. i think i read that in other versions it was subtitled but i dont know.

i actually read about this bug/gently caress you earlier and thought to myself i must remember to disable auto patching when i turn my pc on and i totally loving forgot about it and its been patched for a few hours now. :| ah well, i never used the golden arm anyways and i never unlocked the outfit plus quiet is long gone at this moment in time.

nbgo think its all part of the ruse of course, the phantom pain, patching out content is all part of the plan.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

zedprime posted:

So its confirmed there is DLC to bring Quiet back :tinfoil:

you say this as a joke im sure but the TGS footage showing off the upcoming dlc/side ops and mgo3 had quiet as a buddy in a 100% completed game. :|

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
From other thread

heh nice try konami, i know this is some guy from the mailroom that you brainwashed into thinking he's kojima, so the real kojima can finish chapters 4-7 without being bothered

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

RatHat posted:

I just don't wanna be game over :shepface:

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

RatHat posted:

No, golden arm is for owning Ground Zeroes. I had it at the very start of the game. Maybe you get it for S-ranking the redo missions if you didn't already have it?

I have it now and I do not have/have never had GZ so maybe.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Colapops posted:

I have it now and I do not have/have never had GZ so maybe.

Could be both I guess, but its definitely there as a import bonus

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Onmi posted:

I'm pretty sure the RPG explosion version of that memory is the real one since it's the only time in both games that a helicopter has a correctly-coloured starboard light. So Paz survived to record a new version of her diary that calls you crazy for remembering the truth, and which doesn't mention the diving training she received for her mission and used to fake her death in the same way twice. (She expected them to throw her out but medic is wizard so she had to make up some second bomb bullshit and jump.)

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
also idk if you guys can handle more truth so soon but Quiet is obviously a vampire

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
who are the skulls

are they volunteers? what country are they from? were they all rescued from death as Quiet was? do they exist in the mostly dead state that Skull Face exists in?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

EngineerSean posted:

who are the skulls

are they volunteers? what country are they from? were they all rescued from death as Quiet was? do they exist in the mostly dead state that Skull Face exists in?
probably something similar to Quiet, though whatever the actual process is, Quiet was spared whatever destroys the brain

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
The sniper skulls seem to display some emotion, so maybe they're all just really homicidal assholes.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I believe it was stated in-game that they're basically mindless like the puppet soldiers, only given enough autonomy to attack Snake. I think it's a case of the parasites temporarily getting overrided when they recognize Snake. Quiet apparently subjected to the mind-controlling parasites though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Patriots made all the tapes. A precursor to their Internet information control; they sent carrier pigeons to secretly drop cassette tapes all over the world.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

an even newer patch resorted the golden arm and sniper wolf outfits, in case that one day you lost them drove you insane.

also new event underway, online dispatch ops which last 2 real time days and the rewards are lots and lots of fuel... it's almost like they are trying to tempt you into building a nuke.

speaking of, i'm building a nuke right now for the first time and i changed my name to Vermon CaTaffy and my emblem to OUTER HEAVEN so i'll be raiding and murdering all your FOB's within canon while being so good at it a revenge wormhole will never open. the phantom pain of those dead hard earnt S++ staff member will haunt you til your graves. There can only be one big boss. :ocelot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Someone pointed out how appropriate of a song Garbage - Not Your Kind of People was for the trailers. Well I've been on an 80s music kick and how in the ever-living gently caress is Mr Roboto not a collectible tape in this game? The plot of this game comes from the lyrics of those two songs. Come on Kojima-san, release the DLC

• Locked thread