Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

man Colorado must be a real shithole look at that discount

Primo price in Kansas, though. And there's no way that'd eeeeeeeever turn out to be a bad investment a couple decades down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

man Colorado must be a real shithole look at that discount

Colorado is hella alkaline.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

YF19pilot posted:

I'm feeling disenchanted with the party that I was raised to vote for, but I'm not sure that I want to vote for their opponents either. Two party system really sucks.
While this is going back a ways, I'm curious how come this would be different if there were more political parties.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nessus posted:

While this is going back a ways, I'm curious how come this would be different if there were more political parties.

because by having only two parties that "matter" any votes for a party you actually agree with are in vain

because let's face it the green party ain't winning any elections

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there a libertarian argument for why we need to replace the fuzzy but largely functional system we have now for human interaction with some kind of weird honour-driven barter system?

Because it seems like that would cause more problems than it solves.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

OwlFancier posted:

Is there a libertarian argument for why we need to replace the fuzzy but largely functional system we have now for human interaction with some kind of weird honour-driven barter system?

By some vaguely defined "Freedom" scale the an-cap society would be more voluntary than living in a nation-state.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Literally The Worst posted:

because by having only two parties that "matter" any votes for a party you actually agree with are in vain

because let's face it the green party ain't winning any elections

The best solution we currently have is to align yourself with the party that is most in line with your personal beliefs and work with it to move towards the changes you want to see, which can be done through a number of ways like speaking directly to the congressmen from your district and to work more closely with state and local elections where your efforts can have a bigger impact.

The solution is not and almost never is "burn down everything and rise up from the ashes of civilization as a band of bloodthirsty marauders" which as we all know by now is where Libertarianism inevitably leads.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

Because they mistakenly believe doing so would lead to them being the Immortans, rather than (at absolute best) warboys.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

OwlFancier posted:

Because then they don't need to pay for food stamps or pay welfare benefits for single mothers.

Also for some, because it means you can bring back segregation without having to outright say "I want to ban fags from my neighborhood" (unless you're Hans-Herman Hoppe who just cuts right to the chase).

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

jrodefeld posted:

The reason property rights are so incredibly essential is that we live in a world of scarcity. In such a world, the desires, wants and needs of humans will always exceed the available goods needed to fulfill all our desires simultaneously.
Wrong, we live in a world of abundance where we have the technology to meet the reasonable needs of every human. We do not because humans are greedy creatures. Thanks for trying though.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Who What Now posted:

The best solution we currently have is to align yourself with the party that is most in line with your personal beliefs and work with it to move towards the changes you want to see, which can be done through a number of ways like speaking directly to the congressmen from your district and to work more closely with state and local elections where your efforts can have a bigger impact.

The solution is not and almost never is "burn down everything and rise up from the ashes of civilization as a band of bloodthirsty marauders" which as we all know by now is where Libertarianism inevitably leads.

Just to say, though, what you describe is not a democracy in any way. The method you describe is a plaster over the wound of a non-democratic state. When your political choice is to attempt to democratically alter one of two ruling parties, you have to question the validity of the process.

Not to defend capitalist libertarianism or not engaging with the political process, but America's concept of 'democracy' is somehow the least democratic system I've seen in a country with legitimate voting.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

cheese posted:

Wrong, we live in a world of abundance where we have the technology to meet the reasonable needs of every human. We do not because humans are greedy creatures. Thanks for trying though.

You know, when I first read the OP, this was the line I wanted to rant about. I decided to catch up on the thread but it still sticks out as the most bullshit part of the whole argument. Scarcity is a concept but not a proven fact and frankly the continued survival of humanity plus our consistent food surplus in 'first-world' nations suggests that the concept of scarcity peddled by capitalist libertarians is either a dishonest lie or a mistaken assumption.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Tesseraction posted:

You know, when I first read the OP, this was the line I wanted to rant about. I decided to catch up on the thread but it still sticks out as the most bullshit part of the whole argument. Scarcity is a concept but not a proven fact and frankly the continued survival of humanity plus our consistent food surplus in 'first-world' nations suggests that the concept of scarcity peddled by capitalist libertarians is either a dishonest lie or a mistaken assumption.
We have scarcity in that we cannot all have a nuclear powered aircraft carrier, but the idea that basic housing, reliable and healthy food, clean drinking water, preventative medical care, universal education, etc for all people are somehow beyond us because "scarcity" is hilarious. As I typed that sentence, dozens of cars were built by factories full of robots.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DrProsek posted:

Because then they don't need to pay for food stamps or pay welfare benefits for single mothers.

Also for some, because it means you can bring back segregation without having to outright say "I want to ban fags from my neighborhood" (unless you're Hans-Herman Hoppe who just cuts right to the chase).

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Because they mistakenly believe doing so would lead to them being the Immortans, rather than (at absolute best) warboys.

I mean like, what's the supposed reason why it would be good for all humanity rather than just because they want it. Obviously self interest is taken as a given but I've never really come across the reasoning from the horse's mouth as to why we need to replace the web of minor to moderate obligations we all live in with formal contracts and private murder cops to enforce them.

DarklyDreaming posted:

By some vaguely defined "Freedom" scale the an-cap society would be more voluntary than living in a nation-state.

So what's their supposed distinction between economic coercion in the form of taxes and economic coercion in the form of "pay the army their dane-geld if you don't want to get your literal rear end repossessed"?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

cheese posted:

Yes but have you considered that if jrod had a trillion dollars he would buy all the food and burn it out of spite?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Even if we had that kind of scarcity it would probably at best be an argument for culling of the human population honestly, not Libertarianism.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

Primo price in Kansas, though. And there's no way that'd eeeeeeeever turn out to be a bad investment a couple decades down the line.

Not sure $620 an acre (2015 money) can really be called a primo price.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tesseraction posted:

Just to say, though, what you describe is not a democracy in any way. The method you describe is a plaster over the wound of a non-democratic state. When your political choice is to attempt to democratically alter one of two ruling parties, you have to question the validity of the process.

Not to defend capitalist libertarianism or not engaging with the political process, but America's concept of 'democracy' is somehow the least democratic system I've seen in a country with legitimate voting.

Wait, how is democratically changing society not democracy?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I mean like, what's the supposed reason why it would be good for all humanity rather than just because they want it. Obviously self interest is taken as a given but I've never really come across the reasoning from the horse's mouth as to why we need to replace the web of minor to moderate obligations we all live in with formal contracts and private murder cops to enforce them.
It really is that simple. It is not a coincidence that Libertarians tend to be whiter, wealthier, better educated and more male than the population at large. When you grow up with more privilege (economic, gender, social, etc) than most, its so much easier to imagine yourself as the wise, benevolent duke in his hilltop castle than it is the peasant freezing in the mud.

OwlFancier posted:

So what's their supposed distinction between economic coercion in the form of taxes and economic coercion in the form of "pay the army their dane-geld if you don't want to get your literal rear end repossessed"?
In theory, as I understand it, its that you have the CHOICE to pay the army but the TAXES are TAKEN from you without your CONSENT. One is the ultimate reflection of the sanctity of personal property rights, the other a fate worse than death.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

OwlFancier posted:

Well it's (technically) not a :siren: GOVERNMENT MONOPOLY ON FORCE :siren: and you could (theoretically) take your "business" elsewhere.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

spoon0042 posted:

Well it's (technically) not a :siren: GOVERNMENT MONOPOLY ON FORCE :siren: and you could (theoretically) take your "business" elsewhere.
That it doesn't survive even 30 seconds of deeper examination (how loving terrifying would it be to live in a world where private armies wandered around and demanded payment to "keep you safe"?) is a reflection of the general quality of the reasoning.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Who What Now posted:

Wait, how is democratically changing society not democracy?

But you're not 'democratically changing society' as your country is a first-past-the-post system that effectively limits you to two parties.

Before continuing, it's worth mentioning I'm British, and we have the same problem.

Of those two parties, there's observeable trends towards polarisation (apologies for Time but this was the non-bullshit one I could find fastest). In such a system, you can perhaps shape a narrative within your own party, but that party has less than 50% of (vote-eligible) American support (according to most American voting public analyses). If a minority of the population can choose policy, it's not a democracy. It may well be the best choice - see a technocracy or meritocracy, but that doesn't mean it's a democracy. And frankly, American universities have admitted that the US is an oligarchy. Your personal politics are less important than that dude with more than just a few Benjamins to flash.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

cheese posted:

We have scarcity in that we cannot all have a nuclear powered aircraft carrier, but the idea that basic housing, reliable and healthy food, clean drinking water, preventative medical care, universal education, etc for all people are somehow beyond us because "scarcity" is hilarious. As I typed that sentence, dozens of cars were built by factories full of robots.

Wholeheartedly agree!

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

cheese posted:

That it doesn't survive even 30 seconds of deeper examination (how loving terrifying would it be to live in a world where private armies wandered around and demanded payment to "keep you safe"?) is a reflection of the general quality of the reasoning.

At this point they can try to argue that nobody would actually do that because of the sacred Non-Aggression Principle, but anyone sane is already ignoring them.

edit: And then it all circles around to "government is bad because MEN WITH GUNS can shoot you just because they can, if we got rid of the government MEN WITH GUNS wouldn't shoot you just because they can because ~farts~".

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 20, 2015

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Well you see everyone knows what they themselves want better than anyone else, and of course everyone wants what's best for themselves, so if we just let people do what they want we'll all get what is best. Now dress that up by using the words "liberty", "freedom", "market", and "property" and that's about the extend of it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am trying my hardest to give this ideology the benefit of the doubt because some allegedly educated and presumably intelligent people have espoused it at some point but I am having great difficulty with the mental gymnastics required to hold all of the ideas in my head at once without my brain screaming at me.

Short of everyone involved having some kind of very specific mass hysteria or brain damage I can't understand how this idea perpetuates.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
"All problems stem from <thing> and have nothing to do with you as a person" is really attractive regardless of what <thing> is. In this case, it's the state.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
General property question: At what point can I legitimately say "gently caress you got mine"? Is it a set amount of property I have to own before hand? Or is it more of a relative sliding scale?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Buried alive posted:

"All problems stem from <thing> and have nothing to do with you as a person" is really attractive regardless of what <thing> is. In this case, it's the state.

It's also really comforting to believe that there's this one simple book that has The Truth, and bad things happen because the world has rejected it. See also: religious cults.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I am trying my hardest to give this ideology the benefit of the doubt because some allegedly educated and presumably intelligent people have espoused it at some point but I am having great difficulty with the mental gymnastics required to hold all of the ideas in my head at once without my brain screaming at me.

Short of everyone involved having some kind of very specific mass hysteria or brain damage I can't understand how this idea perpetuates.
Stop trying. There is a reason Libertarianism is considered babies first political philosophy. It is what happens when middle/upper middle class white boys turn into middle/upper class white young men and start to 1) realize that the world is a horrible, lovely place and 2) wonder why their lives, among the billions of people out there, are actually really great. It is a philosophy that starts with the need to defend a certain privileged 1st world lifestyle, and then creates conditions and ideas that justify that privilege. "I have so much and so many have so little, that doesn't seem fair! But wait, I must have earned all that I have by virtue of a fortunate birth my and my families hard work and intelligence!" The mental gymnastics required to pull it off are pretty intense, but when you have such a vested interest in a philosophy that perfectly justifies your wealth and privilege, its easy to stop asking tough questions.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

cheese posted:

Stop trying. There is a reason Libertarianism is considered babies first political philosophy. It is what happens when middle/upper middle class white boys turn into middle/upper class white young men and start to 1) realize that the world is a horrible, lovely place and 2) wonder why their lives, among the billions of people out there, are actually really great. It is a philosophy that starts with the need to defend a certain privileged 1st world lifestyle, and then creates conditions and ideas that justify that privilege. "I have so much and so many have so little, that doesn't seem fair! But wait, I must have earned all that I have by virtue of a fortunate birth my and my families hard work and intelligence!" The mental gymnastics required to pull it off are pretty intense, but when you have such a vested interest in a philosophy that perfectly justifies your wealth and privilege, its easy to stop asking tough questions.

there's also quite a few white working class boys who come to the conclusion that it's the big bad gubmint keeping them down from realizing their place as ubermenschen

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

there's also quite a few white working class boys who come to the conclusion that it's the big bad gubmint keeping them down from realizing their place as ubermenschen

The most lolbertarian people I've ever met are absolutely always fat, middle-aged white guys that had their lives literally handed to them for free that think they're being held back by the system and they succeeded, why can't others?

While, of course, failing to realize how much of a massive leg up having parents wealthy enough to pay for your college then connected enough to get you your first job really is. Free college and nepotism are enormous privileges not everybody gets access to but you just can't tell that to these guys. It's always "I got where I am through hardwork and gumption!" Except that they're also mediocre workers at best and squeaked through college with a mediocre GPA. They just can't handle the idea that they aren't John Galt.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

cheese posted:

The flip side of this is that we live in a world of absolute scarcity of those things that cannot be purchased, like respect, trust, fulfillment, self-esteem, and so forth. One of the common arguments for the free market and against welfare states is that it would destroy people's motivations to no longer be at risk of starving to death, ignoring the very real scarcity of these other non-buyable things that people might reasonably get out of providing value to society.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The most lolbertarian people I've ever met are absolutely always fat, middle-aged white guys that had their lives literally handed to them for free that think they're being held back by the system and they succeeded, why can't others?

While, of course, failing to realize how much of a massive leg up having parents wealthy enough to pay for your college then connected enough to get you your first job really is. Free college and nepotism are enormous privileges not everybody gets access to but you just can't tell that to these guys. It's always "I got where I am through hardwork and gumption!" Except that they're also mediocre workers at best and squeaked through college with a mediocre GPA. They just can't handle the idea that they aren't John Galt.

I guess it's time to bust out this perennial thread favorite:

China Mielville posted:

The libertarian seasteaders are heirs to this visionary tradition but degrade it with their class politics. They almost make one nostalgic for more grandiose enemy dreams. The uncompromising monoliths of fascist and Stalinist architecture expressed their paymasters’ monstrous ambitions. The wildest of the libertarian seasteaders, New Utopia, manages to crossfertilize its drab Miami-ism with enough candy floss Las Vegaries to keep a crippled baroque distantly in sight. Freedom Ship, however, is a floating shopping mall, a buoyant block of midrange Mediterranean hotels. This failure of utopian imagination is nowhere clearer than in the floating city of the long defunct but still influential Atlantis Project.

It is a libertarian dream. Hexagonal neighborhoods of square apartments bob sedately by tiny coiffed parks and tastefully featureless marinas, an Orange County of the soul. It is the ultimate gated community, designed not by the very rich and certainly not by the very powerful, but by the middlingly so. As a utopia, the Atlantis Project is pitiful. Beyond the single one-trick fact of its watery location, it is tragically non-ambitious, crippled with class anxiety, nostalgic not for mythic glory but for the anonymous sanctimony of an invented 1950s. This is no ruling class vision: it is the plaintive daydream of a petty bourgeoisie, whose sulky solution to perceived social problems is to run away–set sail into a tax-free sunset.

None of this is surprising. Libertarianism is not a ruling-class theory. It may be indulged, certainly, for the useful ideas it can throw up, and its prophets have at times influenced dominant ideologies–witness the cack-handed depredations of the “Chicago Boys” in Chile after Allende’s bloody overthrow. But untempered by the realpolitik of Reaganism and Thatcherism, the anti-statism of “pure” libertarianism is worse than useless to the ruling class.

Big capital will support tax-lowering measures, of course, but it does not need to piss and moan about taxes with the tedious relentlessness of the libertarian. Big capital, with its ranks of accountant-Houdinis, just gets on with not paying it. And why hate a state that pays so well? Big capital is big, after all, not only because of the generous contracts its state obligingly hands it, but because of the gun-ships with which its state opens up markets for it.

Libertarianism, by contrast, is a theory of those who find it hard to avoid their taxes, who are too small, incompetent or insufficiently connected to win Iraq-reconstruction contracts, or otherwise chow at the state trough. In its maundering about a mythical ideal-type capitalism, libertarianism betrays its fear of actually existing capitalism, at which it cannot quite succeed. It is a philosophy of capitalist inadequacy.

Though in practice, I could have bolded the whole drat thing...Ok, just one more bit from Mieville's damning conclusion:

quote:

It is a small schadenfreude to know that these dreams will never come true. There are dangerous enemies, and then there are jokes of history. The libertarian seasteaders are a joke. The pitiful, incoherent and cowardly utopia they pine for is a spoilt child’s autarky, an imperialism of outsourcing, a very petty fascism played as maritime farce: Pinochet of Penzance.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Nessus posted:

Tesseraction basically said what I would have, which is when you have two dominant parties, they will tend towards polarization. Members of the party who sit towards the middle of the political spectrum will be ostracized with terms like "RINO" and "Blue Dog" and will only be electable in places where people tend to vote dominantly towards the other party.

If one party declares support for an issue, the opposing party has to, almost out of necessity, oppose it. Likewise, if the opposition opposes an issue, you must therefor support it. And this leads to people who vote for one party, seeing the opposition support an issue they would otherwise be for, and voting against or even changing their positions based on the idea that well, if they support it, it must be bad! (Likewise, if my party supports it, it must be good). You stop having parties of ideologies or identities, and start having parties of opposites.

That's why everyone bends over backwards to make a big deal out of the two parties agreeing on poo poo. And you get stupid poo poo like the two parties both being in favor of an issue, but in order to appeal to their base, one party will pretend to be against it, let the other party "die on that hill", and hope to use the issue to get them elected the following cycle, even though they supported the issue anyways (and then they can get the credit for "fixing" it).

This simplifies things quite a bit, but simple is easier to parse.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

YF19pilot posted:

Tesseraction basically said what I would have, which is when you have two dominant parties, they will tend towards polarization. Members of the party who sit towards the middle of the political spectrum will be ostracized with terms like "RINO" and "Blue Dog" and will only be electable in places where people tend to vote dominantly towards the other party.

This hasn't been true until the past thirty years or so. If you make this claim, you have to explain why it wasn't so before.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

^^ a generation of chemtrails and water fluoridation has resulted in a polarized the political climate, obviously

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Wasn't John Galt like the ultimate "ideas guy" though? He basically asks a bunch of people to strike against society and then rubes them into creating Galt's Gulch. The only thing that he actually creates is a magic infinite energy machine, which he probably didn't even build himself (he had the resources of a former employer at his disposal)

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

QuarkJets posted:

^^ a generation of chemtrails and water fluoridation has resulted in a polarized the political climate, obviously

Wasn't John Galt like the ultimate "ideas guy" though? He basically asks a bunch of people to strike against society and then rubes them into creating Galt's Gulch. The only thing that he actually creates is a magic infinite energy machine, which he probably didn't even build himself (he had the resources of a former employer at his disposal)

Galt was only very marginally anything other than a mouthpiece for Rand herself. He really had no characteristics other than "is supremely cool and good and you should all listen to him you guys," and even by the exceptionally low standards of Rand's writing is notably one-dimensional.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

Not only that but he literally created it on the job. Like he was being paid to do a thing but refused to do said thing and made his engine instead. It was basically the only thing he ever did but because it was a literal infinite energy machine (that mysteriously only John Galt was actually smart enough to figure out) he could just do whatever after that.

He was really a heavy duty Mary Sue character. So super duper smart that he could violate the laws of physics at will but also super duper charming and able to convince all the smart people to gently caress off and follow him without question. Oh, he was also super duper sneaky to the point where nobody could find him if he didn't want to be found and just so drat awesome he single-handedly pulled off his grand scheme and convinced the world not to literally murder him with a really really awesome speech.

I mean seriously, what he was doing would not go over very well in the real world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Not only that but he literally created it on the job. Like he was being paid to do a thing but refused to do said thing and made his engine instead. It was basically the only thing he ever did but because it was a literal infinite energy machine (that mysteriously only John Galt was actually smart enough to figure out) he could just do whatever after that.

Since Galt is such a champion for the sanctity of the contract, I can only assume that the 20th Century Auto Company (iirc) did not have the foresight to include a standard "employee cedes all copyright and patent right to employer for inventions made on the job" clause.

• Locked thread