Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

I don't think that abstracting bureaucracies the same way you abstract armies would be a bad idea at all. They wouldn't be giant social action takers the same way battle groups are giant physical action takers, but for stuff like crafting, research, or sailing, or whatever, it'd be nice to actually have a concrete measure of why your city is better at public works than your rival's.

Having mechanical hooks for leaders is nice, but I'd be really disappointed if those hooks involved, like, comparing org stats in a combat minigame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Attorney at Funk posted:

Having mechanical hooks for leaders is nice, but I'd be really disappointed if those hooks involved, like, comparing org stats in a combat minigame.

It could still all be player-facing, like having set up the right infrastructure in your society gives you social bonuses re: anyone living there, or a steady trickle of free silver or gold crafting XP, or explicit access to/improved ability to exploit certain social merits, etc.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Thug Lessons posted:

I'm not completely sure but I think this is actually the way it's supposed to be right now, except without any mechanics to back it up. Just look at all the Bureaucracy charms that talk about affecting an organization on a mass level. Maybe I'm wrong though and what you're supposed to do is have the GM create a bunch of organizational leaders for these charms to interact with, which could be cool but also might just create added hassle.

Ahem.

Some guy on RPG.net posted:

One concern I have about encouraging the Storyteller to encourage pc leaders to interact with npc ministers/secretaries/generals/etc. is that while it is pretty easy to break that down to the 20 or so people who control the various important functions of your government and/or oppose your policies (though I hope you don't decide to have some kind of Senate, because that'll make things absurd), the other players might not be interested in this.

Holden on RPG.net posted:

I do not see this being an issue. I think any table where this is potentially a serious issue is probably not equipped to run a game successfully period and will encounter numerous other failure states before they hit that one.

But, hey, this gives room for Hundred Kingdoms vol. I through LXXXVII with 20+ fully-statted NPCs with unique motivations and backstories per kingdom for your social-focused PCs to interact with.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 19, 2015

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Yeah, I think I was expecting d&d 3rd => 4th, and instead got d&d 3rd => d&d 3.5 .

It's got its share of flaws as a game but that's not a fair comparison and you know it.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I already said that a CK style dynast game would be badass

Yea but the important thing is that when you get up to the levers of power, even in highly data-driven, impersonal governments like the USA, you are still not interacting with sliders. You are interacting with people. Even Stalin, at Soviet High Noon, couldn't just Crush Counterrevolutionaries, he had to ask Beria (a guy with his own well-documented "idiosyncracies") to do it for him. That's a source of drama, as opposed to just minmaxing a kingdom character sheet.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 19, 2015

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

It could still all be player-facing, like having set up the right infrastructure in your society gives you social bonuses re: anyone living there, or a steady trickle of free silver or gold crafting XP, or explicit access to/improved ability to exploit certain social merits, etc.

Honestly my inclination would be to root it in Intimacies and the social engine - you identify or appoint people within an organization, give them ties to that organization and to you, and through them you exploit, alter, or refine a set of Intimacies specific to the organization.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ferrinus posted:

Put me down on the "it's a bald-faced lie" side, because who on their team remained on the anti side for months? Where are they now?

It's important to note that Greg Stolze's backing reason in Reign was just, like... stupid, and didn't improve the game at all. Well, rather, it wasn't so much "stupid" as "a straightforward description of the decision's effects", with no attempt to account for the fact that those effects were bad. His sidebar was like, this way you're inclined to load up on huge attribute ratings in chargen and then huge skill ratings in play, which, yes, it DOES turn chargen into a dull yet stifling minigame, well done.

In balance, it's probably more of that lovable dishonesty, yeah. But just because neither of us can think of a good reason for doing it doesn't mean that reason doesn't exist, somewhere, somehow!

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Effectronica posted:

In balance, it's probably more of that lovable dishonesty, yeah. But just because neither of us can think of a good reason for doing it doesn't mean that reason doesn't exist, somewhere, somehow!

Maybe BP/XP makes sense, and Obama was a communist all along.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
11th-dimensional Exalted.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Attorney at Funk posted:

Maybe BP/XP makes sense, and Obama was a communist all along.

Ferrinus posted:

11th-dimensional Exalted.

Anyways, I like the ideas for Bureaucracy, because they'd inevitably involve lots of random charts to generate personalities on the fly, and that's the good poo poo, I believe.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

When writing NPCs I always just steal gimmicks and identities from internet posters.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Attorney at Funk posted:

When writing NPCs I always just steal gimmicks and identities from internet posters.

"Hitler was extremely good and cool," the Sidereal says as she strikes a Martial Arts pose.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Attorney at Funk posted:

Mencius Moldbug

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Effectronica posted:

"Hitler was extremely good and cool," the Sidereal says as she strikes a Martial Arts pose.

But is the Sidereal sincere or ironic?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

But is the Sidereal sincere or ironic?

Depends on if she's Bronze Faction or Gold Faction

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Effectronica posted:

But which Martial Arts? They're different Abilities now.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Attorney at Funk posted:

I still haven't started my game but there isn't a single NPC that isn't inspired or stolen from anime.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Roadie posted:

But which Martial Arts? They're different Abilities now.

If I had meant Martial Arts, I would have written Martial Arts, instead of Martial Arts. Do you think I can't tell the difference between Martial Arts and Martial Arts? Some people.:rolleyes:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Effectronica posted:

Her "Are Your Feelings Hurt Counterstrike" is too high! And we can't disengage!! We're doomed to ownage now

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

RichT here:
At last, all the corrections and PageXXs are input and approved, so Maria will be pulling together the backer PDF and then I'll send you the links for it.
This PDF will include the complete text, 2pg character sheet, and your backer credits. For those of you not familiar with how we handle things at this stage, we encourage our Kickstarter backers to review the text and your backer credits, and if you want to contact us with errata or name issues please send them via the "Contact Me" link next to my picture on the KS page. Because of the size of this project, we will only be compiling messages sent via that method.
Also, if you think your name is missing, please check your Survey response for which name you put there and review the names again. There are a lot of them, and they are in small type, so they are easy to miss. Generally the credits go in order from the smallest Reward Tier pledge amount to the largest.
This PDF will not include the Index or hyperlinks or bookmarks as we want to put them in once we've input any errata and not try to fix them afterwards. We hope that this first backer PDF will also have the finished PDF/PoD cover on it when we send it this week, but if not, rest assured that we are not waiting for the final cover art in order to send this to you.
Once we assemble and implement fixes, we will re-upload the EX3 PDF and you should be able to easily re-download it from DriveThruRPG via your Library there. Then we'll create the PoD and both Deluxe versions of EX3.
Of course, all this is just preparatory info which I will repeat with the actual link message, which we intend to be later this week.
Thank you for your support and patience!

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
It's happening! It's finally happening!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

:siren: :tem: :shittydog: BOOK'S A'COMIN, PRAISE JESUS :shittydog: :tem: :siren:

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

quote:

This PDF will not include the Index or hyperlinks or bookmarks as we want to put them in once we've input any errata and not try to fix them afterwards.

lmao

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

This PDF will not include the Index or hyperlinks or bookmarks as we want to put them in once we've input any errata and not try to fix them afterwards.

I don't know much about publishing, but can you not attach these things to elements rather than pages? So that whatever software you use will automatically update the references when the page the text is on inevitably changes?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Whatever shut up or Holden will smash the stone tablets they're inscribed on before they can be sent out to the backers.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Thug Lessons posted:

I still haven't started my game but there isn't a single NPC that isn't inspired or stolen from anime.

Then you're doing nothing the game hasn't done itself.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Red Metal posted:

I don't know much about publishing, but can you not attach these things to elements rather than pages? So that whatever software you use will automatically update the references when the page the text is on inevitably changes?
Yes. You can.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Stop hating.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Thug Lessons posted:

Stop hating.
Start giving me reasons not to.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Prayer.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Nessus posted:

:siren: :tem: :shittydog: BOOK'S A'COMIN, PRAISE JESUS :shittydog: :tem: :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU-4QGbb6XY Heck yeah

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

*in Jake Blues voice* the brand... the brand!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Effectronica posted:

*in Jake Blues voice* the brand... the brand!

*in Metal Gear Solid 3 midboss voice*

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I seriously started recruiting for an exalted 3e game using the leak just minutes before I heard the announcement that the book will be out this week.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nihnoz posted:

I seriously started recruiting for an exalted 3e game using the leak just minutes before I heard the announcement that the book will be out this week.

You running it at Real Nigga Hours won't let me play it. RIP.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Nihnoz posted:

loving Sidereals.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

You all just wait until it tuns out they've accidentally found and replaced 30% of the words in the book with "Page XX"

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

I'm glad Ex3 is finally being updated from a playable game to a readable one.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Thug Lessons posted:

loving Sidereals.

I burned my popcorn the other day, so I know that feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Nihnoz posted:

Tell me more about this game

• Locked thread