Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

RazorDX posted:

I have an 1800sq ft home and was quoted $5000 just for the central heat/air units, not including any labor or necessary (and it is necessary) duct work. I'd be in at least $8k and high side is 10k. Granted, I only will need ductwork because the basement was finished after all HVAC considerations were made, but $1800 still seems ridiculously low for any new central heat/air unit. In any house.

He clarified that he already had a furnace and ductwork in place. $1800 for a condenser and a-coil installed is a good price, but not mind blowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

GreenNight posted:

We're remodeling the office at work and then entire loving thing is covered with wood paneling. 10 foot high walls all wood paneling from the 60's. Are they taking down the paneling? Hell no, just cover it with drywall and have a nice day.

Pretty sure that the upstairs hallway in my rental is tongue and groove panelling (with cosmet grooves every 6 inches or so) over lovely destroyed lathe and plaster. But instead of being drywalled over, they just put plaster in the grooves and painted it all.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I think part of it is that they're afraid what's behind the paneling. We've owned this building since the 30's, but no one is still around when the paneling went up. The manager of buildings and grounds suspects asbestos.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The house has actually been in the same family since the 40s. They tore out some of the panelling at some point. It's all been pulled out of our bedroom (except behind the radiator, which now looks like poo poo) but they kept it in the hallway and one of the other bedrooms.

And the actual wood colored panelling in the kitchen. But yeah, I think the original occupants from the 40s only passed within the last decade, and their son, probably in his 60s, is basically the caretaker, and HIS son is the actual owner. Kinda weird/adorable when the older guy was showing me how to drain the boiler, because the house is chock full of memories for him. "Oh yeah here's where my parents measured the grandchildren every year (marked in permanent marker on the molding, it's loving adorable)." "My brothers would lock me in this closet under the stairs when we would play." "I once fell down these stairs and almost cracked my head open on the water meter here."

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Fo3 posted:

Because I'm (or was) a fridgey

I love that all the trades have cutesy slang names in Australia. "Fridgey", "chippy", "sparky" or more generally "tradey".

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Which one is a 'chippy'?

I've heard sparky and commie/comm-o

MrPete
May 17, 2007
a chippy is a carpenter

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My dad's a steamfitter (retired) and he has always called electrician guys "sparkies" so that's not just an aussie thing. There's also "tin knockers" and probably several others I'm forgetting right now.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Why remove the old shingles when you can just put new ones on top, right?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Leperflesh posted:

My dad's a steamfitter (retired) and he has always called electrician guys "sparkies" so that's not just an aussie thing. There's also "tin knockers" and probably several others I'm forgetting right now.
Anyone ever hear 'flatter' in regards to electricians? It sounded to me as though it referred to a journeyman or otherwise less experienced guy (oh, him? He's just a flatter). Google is failing me except for a craigslist ad from an electrician looking to hire a flatter for a day.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Why remove the old shingles when you can just put new ones on top, right?
It's a perfectly normal thing to do. And you're saving money on demo and haul out, which often requires a dumpster in your driveway.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I don't personally know poo poo about roofing, just helping a friend out for some extra disposable income this week and the approach seemed questionable. From eyeballing the roof, I don't think this is the first new layer of shingles it's seen.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Javid posted:

I don't think this is the first new layer of shingles it's seen.

Which is also fine. 3 is typically considered acceptable before tearing it to the deck.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

We refuse to do it, professionally. Not willing to warranty it, and state law requires us to provide a warranty. Or rather, if we hedged a warranty with enough caveats to make ourselves and our insurance happy, nobody would read it and then they'd get really pissy later. Much simpler to just refuse that kind of work.

Usually when we finally get called in to tear some three-layer monstrosity off, there's godawful plywood damage. But we're in the PNW, so that may vary with climate.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Jordanis posted:

Not willing to warranty it,
Your warranty is what, 8-10 years tops? You don't think multi-layered shingle sandwich will last?

Just saw a roof being rebuilt in historic building, possibly after a fire. The original slate was gone, exposing uneven boards about 2x12 or 2x10 in size, with decent 1-2" gaps in between. Roofer was wrapping all that charred business with tar paper, getting ready to lay shingles. paper covering gaps large enough for a foot to go though.

Best i could do was call the developer and ask him what the gently caress.

Edit: Oh, and historically-accurate replica windows are $2k each at this house. They're only getting installed in the front, rest of house gets cheaper, but still nice vinyl.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 20, 2015

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Nitrox posted:

Your warranty is what, 8-10 years tops? You don't think multi-layered shingle sandwich will last?

The real issue is that it muddles the question of responsibility too much, and the last company that touched it will catch the blame. So if their 30 year shingle is shot in fifteen or twenty because the bottom layer is curling or some drat thing, who are they mad at? If something is leaking because the old roof is doing something weird, who do they expect to 'just fix it'? It doesn't matter if we're right about what's causing the problem, and we can have given them as many warnings as we like beforehand, all the customer will remember is that we 'didn't take care of them'.

Jordanis fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 20, 2015

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jordanis posted:

The real issue is that it muddles the question of responsibility too much, and the last company that touched it will catch the blame. So if their 30 year shingle is shot in fifteen or twenty because the bottom layer is curling or some drat thing, who are they mad at? If something is leaking because the old roof is doing something weird, who do they expect to 'just fix it'? It doesn't matter if we're right about what's causing the problem, and we can have given them as many warnings as we like beforehand, all the customer will remember is that we 'didn't take care of them'.

This is because you work for a legit company that doesn't go out of business and reform every 2-5 years to escape liability.

As it should be.

But my point still stands......this is general practice and is normally okay. Unless the deck is already soft (which is usually is because people wait until poo poo is leaking) in which case you're just polishing a turd.

Hell, Kasteins house had like 6 layers and it's totally fine :)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Motronic posted:

I was gonna post this earlier but i forgot i had the tab open :downs:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

That looks depressingly like a lot of my neighborhood. You can play Spot The Foreclosure because banks will repaint to sell them, but they seem to be allergic to fixing roofs.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

That looks depressingly like a lot of my neighborhood. You can play Spot The Foreclosure because banks will repaint to sell them, but they seem to be allergic to fixing roofs.

Weird. We end up dealing with a lot of realtors, and the impression I'd gotten is that lenders will kill the deal if they can't get either an inspection saying the roof has at least 3-5 years of life left in it or at least a signed contract to have the roof replaced.

Maybe they're hoping to pass it off to a cash buyer, and waiting until a buyer forces the issue to do anything about it.

Motronic posted:

This is because you work for a legit company that doesn't go out of business and reform every 2-5 years to escape liability.

As it should be.

But my point still stands......this is general practice and is normally okay. Unless the deck is already soft (which is usually is because people wait until poo poo is leaking) in which case you're just polishing a turd.

30 years this year. Your 'unless' is the real catch, though. People looking to have an actual roofing company do a roof-over are being cheap, but aren't ambitious enough to do it themselves. There is a high correlation with pre-existing roof conditions, there.

Jordanis fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 20, 2015

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Nitrox posted:

Edit: Oh, and historically-accurate replica windows are $2k each at this house. They're only getting installed in the front, rest of house gets cheaper, but still nice vinyl.

Vinyl window frames? Is this a toy house? :psyduck:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

GotLag posted:

I assume he means something like this.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

GotLag posted:

Where do you live that vinyl isn't standard on replacements and new builds?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Tigntink posted:

I can't understand why more of the US doesn't use these things. My sister said this is all they installed in Iraq and she loves them.

I was looking at them when I replaced my air 2 years ago, and I didn't want to see the units on the walls. The cartridge in-wall versions wouldn't fit either. I suspect that once you get to $12000, the home is nice enough where aesthetics are a concern. And also people spending that money will be going to the established contractor who has a relationship with carrier or trane and will quote their variable systems. Daikin and Mitsubishi are just now making bigger inroads.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

GotLag posted:

Someone already answered, but yes, vinyl is the standard low cost window material. You can finish the entire opening in vinyl and callular pvc and not give a gently caress about water forever.

Jordanis posted:

Weird. We end up dealing with a lot of realtors, and the impression I'd gotten is that lenders will kill the deal if they can't get either an inspection saying the roof has at least 3-5 years of life left in it or at least a signed contract to have the roof replaced.

Maybe they're hoping to pass it off to a cash buyer, and waiting until a buyer forces the issue to do anything about it.

30 years this year. Your 'unless' is the real catch, though. People looking to have an actual roofing company do a roof-over are being cheap, but aren't ambitious enough to do it themselves. There is a high correlation with pre-existing roof conditions, there.
My roofer buddy said that he gives a shorter warranty on a multi-shingle roof due to not being able to see access preexisting damage. He said that it's mostly realtors and flippers that ask for a cheapest option, they don't care about long term warranties.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 20, 2015

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Motronic posted:

Holy Hell, how did the roof not collapse?! That's a poo poo-ton of weight. The picture Enourmo posted looks like a fairly flat roof, so I can only assume it's an an area that doesn't get snow.

I spent all my high school, and a couple college, summers working for my uncle, who was a private contractor. Private contractor in summer in New England means ROOFS! Lots and lots of ROOFS! I really, REALLY learned to hate other contractors who layered shingles. They're a bitch to remove.

He never layered, so I got that ingrained in me. I know my roof will need replacing in 3-4 years, and as much as I want to half-rear end it (especially if I'm not going to stay in the house more than 10 or so,) I won't. cause plans change. Maybe I'll decide to just keep upgrading and stay forever, or the market sucks to buy, or a million other reasons why I'm the one who gets stuck with the roof when it;'s time to replace them AGAIN and now I have to remove two layers worth.

Plus, the plywood on the roof is original from the mid 70's, so it's only 1/4". So I guess when I replace the roof might rear end well go whole hog and rip that up and replace it, too.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

Holy Hell, how did the roof not collapse?! That's a poo poo-ton of weight. The picture Enourmo posted looks like a fairly flat roof, so I can only assume it's an an area that doesn't get snow.

There've been several times where kastein said something along the lines of "I'm amazed this wall didn't collapse considering it's basically being held up by sawdust".

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

"I'm amazed this ________ didn't collapse considering it's basically being held up by _________".
In all fairness you can mix and match random words and would still be true for Kastein's house.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Tigntink posted:

Where do you live that vinyl isn't standard on replacements and new builds?

Australia. We don't do vinyl siding or those nasty-looking roof shingles either. Window fixtures I've seen are generally (powder-coated) metal, with wooden trim. Wooden frames tend to be on older houses.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

GotLag posted:

Australia. We don't do vinyl siding or those nasty-looking roof shingles either. Window fixtures I've seen are generally (powder-coated) metal, with wooden trim. Wooden frames tend to be on older houses.

Only aluminum windows I see around here are mid century tract homes.

Vinyl is the wonder material of the future... much like asbestos was in its time :3:

This is the only appropriate response to wood trim :colbert:

the trim pieces underneath may or may not have lead paint

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

GotLag posted:

What's the roofing material of choice down your way? Clay tile?

Here in the Northeast US, in most areas code will permit you to layer once/two layers max. As noted, it depends on the condition of the shingles you want to go over as well as the fitness of the framing & the deck. I do not typically write to layer when I write to replace a roof, although if it's a repair, and it's mechanically possible to restore it, then I'll do it.

I still run into a lot of (pre-code) older roofs with three or more layers, or the really fun ones, which are multiple layers over cedar shakes - which are installed on furring; there's no decking at all. I do not walk those slopes. When those fuckers get damaged I wind up having to write to take it all the way down & start over. Those folks really hit the insurance lottery.

A note on warranty: The biggest problem with roofing is proper installation of the asphalt shingle: proper placement of the nails and the proper number of nails, as well as the use of adhesive on laminated shingle installed on pitches beyond 12/12 (or 45-degrees). Many roofers like to work really fast, and throw three nails in the tape line. Wrong number & wrong location.

Meanwhile, in Philadelphia, some people inadvertently get dumber a little more each day.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 21, 2015

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm going to have a nightmare about the deck on this place.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PwxKfXkk8Rs

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

OSU_Matthew posted:

Only aluminum windows I see around here are mid century tract homes.

Vinyl is the wonder material of the future... much like asbestos was in its time :3:

This is the only appropriate response to wood trim :colbert:

the trim pieces underneath may or may not have lead paint

Vinyl windows are great, but vinyl siding was spawned from Satan's rear end in a top hat. It's the ugliest house cladding ever devised and always ends up looking like this in less than 10 years.

It screams cheap, disposable construction. The worst is when flippers use it to re-side 100+ year old houses that somehow got by with wood siding and oil based paint for a freaking century only to rot when people started painting it with exterior latex in the 80's. There is a solution to this problem, but it is expensive and too few people know about it.
http://www.solventfreepaint.com/index.htm
Allback paint is guaranteed for 50 years. Give it a fresh coat of Linseed oil every 10 years and you're set.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 21, 2015

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

PainterofCrap posted:

What's the roofing material of choice down your way? Clay tile?
Tile is most popular, then galvanised/powder-coated steel.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

MANGOSTEEN CURES P posted:

I'm going to have a nightmare about the deck on this place.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PwxKfXkk8Rs

Forget about the deck. No comment on the one garage that apparently opens directly into the entryway without so much as a single door?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

GotLag posted:

Tile is most popular, then galvanised/powder-coated steel.

Concrete tiles used to the the norm, but they arent anywhere near as popular as they used to be because they weigh a metric poo poo TONNE- they have an average weight of 45kg per square meter, which on a 300m2 roof is 13.6 TONNES in just the tiles themselves, not to mention the huge amount of extra timber have to have in the roof frame and wall frames to support that extra weight.

Corrugated steels pretty much the material of choice tho, either in plain galv or colourbond. Variety of corrugations too, but the weight saving is significant- your looking at 4.2- 4.8kg per meter square, so on the same 300m2 roof your looking at 1.26- 1.44 tonnes instead. Lot quicker to put down a steel roof too, competent roofers can do a 300m2 roof, plus facias and gutters in about 2 days vs 4-5 for tiles.

The concrete tiles dont really like big hail storms either, and high winds can blow water back up under them. Plus you can break into a house almost silently through tiles too.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Don't metal roofs sound horrible when it rains?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yes, that is the main reason why most people don't like tin roofs and have clay tiles instead.

Ferremit posted:

Concrete tiles used to the the norm, but they arent anywhere near as popular as they used to be because they weigh a metric poo poo TONNE- they have an average weight of 45kg per square meter, which on a 300m2 roof is 13.6 TONNES in just the tiles themselves, not to mention the huge amount of extra timber have to have in the roof frame and wall frames to support that extra weight.

Corrugated steels pretty much the material of choice tho, either in plain galv or colourbond. Variety of corrugations too, but the weight saving is significant- your looking at 4.2- 4.8kg per meter square, so on the same 300m2 roof your looking at 1.26- 1.44 tonnes instead. Lot quicker to put down a steel roof too, competent roofers can do a 300m2 roof, plus facias and gutters in about 2 days vs 4-5 for tiles.

The concrete tiles dont really like big hail storms either, and high winds can blow water back up under them. Plus you can break into a house almost silently through tiles too.

Weighing a poo poo tonne is an advantage during a storm, I've seen a fair few tin roofs just blow off before with the winds. Also after a hail storm I hope the owners of a tin roof like a roof that looks like a golf ball with all the dents in it - the whole thing needs replacing.

Anyway in Perth, Western Australia some of the older houses that cheaped out in the 60-70s have concrete tiles. Predominately though with older buildings and newer it's mainly clay tiles, with about 1/4 houses having corrugated tin roofs.
Both have their pros and cons. I spent many years walking them doing HVAC.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

KillHour posted:

Don't metal roofs sound horrible when it rains?

They are loud if it rains hard, but I like the sound of rain on a steel roof. I will admit that hail sounds like the world is ending.