Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Speaking of: there's a huge continuity problem in the newest Shattered Empire. When they get to the Naboo fighters, they all note that there's no astromech droids, but when they're actually in space fighting, all three have them. Whoops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Endless Mike posted:

Speaking of: there's a huge continuity problem in the newest Shattered Empire. When they get to the Naboo fighters, they all note that there's no astromech droids, but when they're actually in space fighting, all three have them. Whoops!

It does look that way on the distance shots, but on the closer up ones its just some kind of computer core or something. Its definitely not an R-series astromech at least.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I suppose that's possible. It's a minor quibble either way.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has there been any announcement about who will be writing and drawing the comic adaptation of TFA, or if there will be one at all? I assume it will be getting one; all the others did.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nothing has been announced or solicited as of yet. They seem to be keeping these things close to the vest until they *have* to announce, and I'd bet they'll wait until at least a little while into its theatrical run (with a trade coming between the end of the theatrical run and home release).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I guess so. I understand the novelisation is releasing simultaneously with the film on Kindle, then coming out in hardcover in early 2016, which also seems strange to me because I remember reading the junior reader novelisations of TPM and AOTC (the ones that would have a few pages of photos from the film in the middle) and the Matthew Stover novelisation of ROTS before their respective movies came out. I suppose, as you say, they're being a bit more careful now that Lucasfilm is part of Disney rather than its own entity.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm merely speculating. It's also entirely possible they'll release a trade or something right around release, but December solicitations are out and there's nothing on it.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
The art on Chewbacca was not something I was prepared for after years of DH Star Wars comics.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I bet they're waiting for a physical novel because they don't want to risk any copies getting leaked from the printer.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

The art in Lando wasn't great to begin with, but they couldn't figure out which arm got cut off or even how far up

(Images failing to upload through iPad)

Pavol loses his right arm like everyone in Star Wars, then his left arm above the elbow, and then it's his left hand at the wrist.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I finally pulled the trigger and grabbed all the available new Star Wars comics. I've read most of the old ones, and enjoyed them all well enough, so I'm really excited to have new stories to read. Is there a suggested reading order floating around anywhere?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Not really. They're all stand-alone stories except for Star Wars and Vader, which take place concurrently and have a bit of cross-over.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Cool. I'll dive on in then.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

They were all a lot of fun. Darth Vader is super good, goddamn.

The art in Lando reminded me of Dark Empire, but good.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The biggest thing about the new canon is the ability to integrate, callback, and reference the prequel era post-A New Hope. As a lot of that space had been filled before the prequels were even released. It makes the universe feel tighter.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That seems like a huge downside.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Lurdiak posted:

That seems like a huge downside.

But there were glaring continuity issues with the pre-prequel novels that :goonsay:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm not sure why but I got STAR WARS FEVER so what are the good post-ROTJ old school comics? I've read Legacy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OhFunny posted:

The biggest thing about the new canon is the ability to integrate, callback, and reference the prequel era post-A New Hope. As a lot of that space had been filled before the prequels were even released. It makes the universe feel tighter.

What do you mean? In between ROTS and ANH?

zoux posted:

I'm not sure why but I got STAR WARS FEVER so what are the good post-ROTJ old school comics? I've read Legacy.

I quite liked the first two Crimson Empire miniseries (never read the third) but if Jan Duursema's art is something put you off the John Ostrander comics they might not be for you. :shrug:

That era was the province of the novels, for the most part. It's comparatively under-explored in the comics; Dark Empire is probably the most high-profile series from the post-ROTJ period but it's generally agreed upon as being a bit rubbish.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Dark Empire was pretty well received when it first came out. I think that had a lot to do with it being the first high profile Star Wars comic than anything.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I got about five pages into the Rogue Squadron one and then Wedge goes "Heh we call this the wingtip, Imperial" and uses his S-foils to force a TIE fighter into the ground. That's as far as I cared to read.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

zoux posted:

X-wing.

E: Don't remember that bit you mentioned, but the second two omnibuses are much better than the first.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 20, 2015

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

I really liked Legacy 2, the one with Ania Solo that came out right before the Marvel switch.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

Dark Empire was pretty well received when it first came out. I think that had a lot to do with it being the first high profile Star Wars comic than anything.

Sure - it basically did for the comics what Tim Zahn's books did for the novels. I've even read that it is or was George Lucas's favourite EU thing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure - it basically did for the comics what Tim Zahn's books did for the novels. I've even read that it is or was George Lucas's favourite EU thing.

Big difference is Zahn's books still hold up, though they are still just pulpy licensed sci-fi novels.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

twistedmentat posted:

Big difference is Zahn's books still hold up, though they are still just pulpy licensed sci-fi novels.

Zahn's ability to turn in consistently solid licensed genre work makes him a real talent in a field dominated by hacks.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I'm reading the annotated version of Heir to the Empire at the moment, and I'm finding it really interesting. I'm just sad they never put out the second or third one with annotations. One day, maybe...

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Zahn's novels are the only Star Wars novels I've read, but I don't really understand why they're as well-regarded as they are. I remember thinking all the locales were really boring in a not-really Star Wars way. The Darth Vader comics an awful lot better to my mind, both at capturing the spirit of the source material and at being actually fun and interesting.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

The Thrawn Trilogy had me until Luuke

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Oh hey there's this one too, we need to get links going between the Star Wars thread OPs.

I really like what Marvel's doing with the short serieses. An ongoing series of independent 5-issue arcs about all sorts of random characters from across the galaxy? Sold.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
So the new issue of Darth Vader then. Man, my heart was in my mouth when he bust out the whole "do not struggle, it will be quick" thing, even though it's been on the cards since the series began. Space Nazi Sherlock really needs to get airlocked or something fast, he's just too goddamn good at his job.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Hopefully Aphra is smart enough to tell Vader what he wants to know via a dead drop recording while she's 5 systems away.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

wiegieman posted:

Hopefully Aphra is smart enough to tell Vader what he wants to know via a dead drop recording while she's 5 systems away.

Yeah....like that's gonna make a difference. Vader wants her gone, she'll be gone. Not to say that I'm not pulling for Aphra to get out of this, she might be my favourite new character from the Great Canon Purge. So far.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is there a 5th Shattered Empire book or was 4 the last one?

Luke was stone cold in that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

4 is the last one.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Alecia Beck! I thought the name was familiar! She shows up in Smuggler's Run, but I didn't connect the two until the missing eye mention.

Edit: Also that tree is not going to be relevant at all. I mean, it's not like it grew in the Jedi Temple for probably millennia or anything, there's no way it could possibly be an influence on young Poe's life.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 22, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Keiya posted:

Alecia Beck! I thought the name was familiar! She shows up in Smuggler's Run, but I didn't connect the two until the missing eye mention.

Oh that's neat.

While I didn't hate Shattered Empire, it had a lot of great action and art, I'm not sure how essential it was. I'd be interested in an ongoing about the aftermath of the Rebel victory but I don't think that four issues covered it all. I mean, Project Cinder is still happening right?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm sure TFA will feature Luke tending that tree in the new temple and him saying something like "oh since i planted this three new force sensitives are popping up!". Jedi getting the post M-Day treatment here.

And I honestly though Shattered Empire would lead to the Battle of Jakku because they've said it was the lsat major engagement of the Galactic Civil War where the remaining strength of the Empire was finally crushed. There's only about 6 weeks to go before it comes out so I'm doubtful that would be another series.

But yea, the battles were cool, great artwork, but the story, they pretended like this was the bridge, but it wasn't.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

twistedmentat posted:

I'm sure TFA will feature Luke tending that tree in the new temple and him saying something like "oh since i planted this three new force sensitives are popping up!". Jedi getting the post M-Day treatment here.

It probably doesn't make Jedi happen (That would be a little too Midichlorian-y, and if you want a concrete reason Ezra was born somewhere just before or just after that tree was ripped out of the temple) I'm thinking it's more like the Bodhi tree, going to it won't make you achieve Nirvana but it definitely wouldn't hinder a jedi to see it at least once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Force sensitives never went away. They just weren't being found and trained.