Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Anderron Shi posted:

Idk but Goblin has a gay fc. I'm the leader of it.

What is the name? Fairy tale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Holyshoot posted:

We have Strawberry Panties and the dude who had to change his name who would stand right on top of any female mithra within a 100 miles. They make up for our lack of troll FC's.

You're probably thinking of Mr PP.

Also, I love this post from the last thread: http://archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3676695&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=651#post445370022

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Tenzarin posted:

What is the name? Fairy tale?

Mondeaux Donguez
<<DONGZ>>

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

e: I read gud

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Is there maintenance tonight or is Excal just being poopy?

There's maintenance tonight :(

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Is there maintenance tonight or is Excal just being poopy?

Oct 19 17:00 to Oct 20 3:00 PDT

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There is maintenance for everybody tonight. Euro datacenter just had a longer one than everybody else because they had to make a transfer of servers to actual Europe.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Seems really early in the evening for maintenance, I didn't realize there was one coming up and got booted from EXDR with 15% to go on Waukkeon :(

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They're probably patching in this year's All Saints' Wake event.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Drizvolta posted:

Oct 19 17:00 to Oct 20 3:00 PDT

I take it that's after the weekly reset, huh? So much for my esoterics.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yep, maintenance always ends after weekly reset now.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Whelp, guess I'm not capping Eso this week, no idea that was happening. Like, I knew there would be maintenance but I wasn't expecting it to start literally before I got home from work. Guess I should pay more attention to the times.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Definitely seems kind of early to start maintenance. You'd think they'd wait until 8 Pac / 11 EST at least.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
It's not like there was a giant in your face message telling you about this every day for the past 5 days.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Now I'm wondering, did they ever go into the actual process of them transferring the servers over to Europe? I'm imagining they just grabbed the hard drives and flew them to the new European datacenter but for all I know Square enix instead did something insane like packed up the actual hardware and moved it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Jesus, two days of continuous maintenance? They really *must* be sneakernetting it across the Atlantic.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Belzac posted:

It's not like there was a giant in your face message telling you about this every day for the past 5 days.

I don't think anyone's blaming anyone but themselves, Belzac.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

Now I'm wondering, did they ever go into the actual process of them transferring the servers over to Europe? I'm imagining they just grabbed the hard drives and flew them to the new European datacenter but for all I know Square enix instead did something insane like packed up the actual hardware and moved it.

I don't think so but it sounds like this isn't really the case as they've been installing the datacenter for a while. They may actually be flying over drives of data though, as that's probably faster and less error-prone than trying to do it over a transatlantic data connection. Either that or they've been transferring it for a while now and are rsyncing changes from when the transfer began but that probably still takes a couple of days.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

"We need to allow for some very large carryon items. They are full of catgirls."

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Jesus, two days of continuous maintenance? They really *must* be sneakernetting it across the Atlantic.

You're really bad at math.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The fastest way to transfer files of the size involved here is to physically transfer the medium, yes. It's every player character on every world in the datacenter, that's gotta be at least a couple dozen terabytes unless their storage scheme is really good (it's not).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Belzac posted:

{Welcome back.}

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Yoshi-P's plane was shot down over the Atlantic Ocean... it spun in. There were no catgirl survivors.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Klungar posted:

Yoshi-P's plane was shot down over the Atlantic Ocean... it spun in. There were no catgirl survivors.

good

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Klungar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVXJmfd3cmg

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
b..but I don't want to play any other games...

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Is there a way to make it so mouse 2 toggles mouse look instead of having to be held down?

What I'm used to from GW2 is mouse movements directly affecting camera movements, w moving forward in the direction the camera is pointing, a and d side stepping, and s moving against the camera but not walking backwards.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I don't think you can toggle mouse 2, but you can rebind your strafe keys and switch from the standard camera mode to legacy.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Tenik posted:

I don't think you can toggle mouse 2, but you can rebind your strafe keys and switch from the standard camera mode to legacy.

Yeah, I use legacy, but couldn't find if there was a built in option. Autohotkey should be able to cover it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

vOv posted:

I mean DGKK's current tag is literally <AIDS!> so I don't think we have much room to talk.

Well at least they finally recognize what they are

Holyshoot posted:

We have Strawberry Panties and the dude who had to change his name who would stand right on top of any female mithra within a 100 miles. They make up for our lack of troll FC's.

seiferguy posted:

You're probably thinking of Mr PP.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I wanted to play this game but the servers are down, curse you Yoshi p.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Leal posted:

Well at least they finally recognize what they are

If you're going to dress like that you asked for it.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
The real downtime for the server transfer is likely taking a full day to make sure that everything is working exactly right before letting folks back on. Changing colocation centers like this is incredibly difficult and fraught with risks, not because of moving the information itself (that's easy) but because making sure everything is installed on the new machines with no loss of data or bad configurations is an excruciatingly painful task, and they're probably working on integrity testing as we type. Send the new London team some coffee, they probably need it.

There'll probably be a patch too, fyi, pointing the client at the new IPs for the EU data center. And they need to test to make sure that's working in a live-ish environment before setting everyone loose on it. That's why we're seeing so much downtime for this. Are we actually losing any goons to the EU servers, btw, or is our Eurocrew planning to stay put?

Anyway, that line of discussion was getting a little contentious, and it's been a long time since people posted pictures of their dragoncatgirls, so let's do that.

I've been rollin' as a lalafell for a long while now, but in a fit of curiosity I decided to try one last time to make a pretty dragon princess who didn't actually drive me batty with poor facial animation in cutscenes and who actually looked good in my embarrassingly large glamour wardrobe, and... I didn't actually expect to succeed as well as I did. Especially with this face, which I really disliked at first glance. In the game itself, though, it actually looks really good, plays well with a lot of light sources, and the big ol' doe eyes in particular have the unexpected benefit of being able to show expression well due to even more subtle facial animations actually being noticeable. I also really dig that hairstyle, although I know certain folks OF TERRIBLE TASTE disagree. Also for whatever reason a Raen with this skin tone doesn't seem to have the same "visual busyness clashing" issues with sandal-style footwear that every other dragonprincess I've tried has, particularly Xaela, so there's that. I still have a few issues with Au Ra in general - I'm a bit annoyed that the scale design basically mandates making them all pale-skinned, and Square, come on, no actual living person would normally stand idle like that, or that, or that either, and a couple of the other animations are also a bit ridiculous - but by and large, I'm really happy with how this turned out.

basically I'm prob. gonna stay dragonprincess for a while because this new one I cooked up is cool and good in ways I didn't expect, which is itself cool and good, praise the art team and also yoshi-p, now to be the dragonprincess of my dreams~

I'd meant to get a few more outfit screens before maintenance, but dammit, I needed a nap. :effort:

(As a little aside, though, this has gotten me wondering just how their facial animation tech works - when I tried a face 4 Au Ra, I was very dissatisfied with now relatively inexpressive the face was during cutscenes, which was a bit of beef I'd previously had with the Midlander, too, and is one of the reasons I liked my lalafell so much. I figured Au Ra face 2, what my current one uses, would be even worse given the default neutral expression, but it's actually quite a bit more expressive in part, as I noted, due to the eyes. This has me wondering just what the guts of the system look like - I'd thought it was just a generic set of calls to the animation system to move certain bones to make certain expressions, but now I wonder if it's handled per-face. But that can't be right, because that would be an insane amount of work and in general Yoshida-era XIV has been about streamlining processes like that and reining in some of the ridiculous excesses of the Tanaka era when it came to cutscenes. It's quite possible the different facial geometries just end up interpreting the animation calls in different ways, though I still wonder.)

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

How about a demondragonboy instead? I was going for something between Space Dandy and Cowboy Bebop. How did I do?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Belrouze posted:

How about a demondragonboy instead? I was going for something between Space Dandy and Cowboy Bebop. How did I do?

By dragoncatgirls, I meant characters in general, basically :v:

I wish you'd gotten a closer facial profile, but the mohawk is extremely Space Dandy, if nothing else.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

SpaceDrake posted:

Are we actually losing any goons to the EU servers, btw, or is our Eurocrew planning to stay put?
We're dipping our toes before anything gets decided

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

I will snap one when I can log back in. I adore the wootz fausse. I feel like the entire outfit just kind of gives those vibes. From the haircut, the clothes, to the massive red greatsword with the flickering neon blue. It does it for me.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

SpaceDrake posted:

Anyway, that line of discussion was getting a little contentious, and it's been a long time since people posted pictures of their dragoncatgirls, so let's do that.

You should put that glamour up on glambook because it's really nice and i want to stealtweak it for my own use.

looking over my old stuff kinda made me wanna go lala again. oh no

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Information up in the launcher about the land reclamation stuff and also the new halloween event. Cute stuff http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/2015/All_Saints_Wake/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Flying broom mount omg.

• Locked thread