Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Having ship icons on the back of your dials is really nice. Making a bunch of stickers to get icons on the back of my dials sucked. I'll recommend the dial upgrade kits on that alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

zVxTeflon posted:

Heres the dial upgrade thing

Where will those ship icons come from? They aren't on the back of anything right?

Those look neat, I can see buying a few for each faction. Looking at ship icons rather than generic ship names is way easier, especially for things like the Falcon vs Outrider.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

canyoneer posted:

The only new ships I saw (besides the T-70 and the TIE-F/O) is Kylo Ren's black shuttle

There was also the two-seater TIE with the rear gunner/turret in some of those shots.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

canyoneer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbxmsDFVnE

The only new ships I saw (besides the T-70 and the TIE-F/O) is Kylo Ren's black shuttle

Kylo Ren sounds like a doofus with one of those voice modulators from the spy shop.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

So I kinda wanna run an E-wing with stealth device, R2-F2, sensor jammer and push the limit, with Kyle Katarn with Jan Ors on back up. How viable could I make this? 5 defense dice with one or more evades appeals to me, but as it is now thats 71 points with 45 of them on a single ship.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I'm struggling with something at the moment.

What's better, a Blue Squadron B-Wing + Fire Control System or a Blue Squadron Novice T-70 X-Wing?

They're both 24 points, both fit into the list I'm building and both are cool ships.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I prefer B-Wings because gently caress green dice but YMMV.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Endman posted:

I'm struggling with something at the moment.

What's better, a Blue Squadron B-Wing + Fire Control System or a Blue Squadron Novice T-70 X-Wing?

They're both 24 points, both fit into the list I'm building and both are cool ships.

I'd say either find a point and run a Blue B with Advanced Sensors instead, or just run a naked Dagger. If you want to run a T-70, at least find a point for an R2 Unit so you get Integrated Astromech. 1 point for functionally +1 Hull (and potentially negate a Crit effect) plus all 1/2 speed becomes Green is absurdly good value, and running any X-Wing without it is pretty much insane at this point.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Tekopo posted:

I prefer B-Wings because gently caress green dice but YMMV.

Good point. The only green dice I like are

Shockeh posted:

I'd say either find a point and run a Blue B with Advanced Sensors instead, or just run a naked Dagger. If you want to run a T-70, at least find a point for an R2 Unit so you get Integrated Astromech. 1 point for functionally +1 Hull (and potentially negate a Crit effect) plus all 1/2 speed becomes Green is absurdly good value, and running any X-Wing without it is pretty much insane at this point.

I've been playing around with the list Paul Heaver ran at the NOVA Open that also performed really well at Russian Nationals:

Miranda Doni (29)
+ Twin Laser Turret (6)

Blue Squadron Pilot (22)
+ Fire Control System (2)

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)
+ Twin Laser Turret (6)

Prototype Pilot (17)
+ Chardaan Refit (-2)
+ Autothrusters (2)

I've made a few modifications based on my play-style, such as putting Jan on Miranda for a little extra survivabilty instead of Autothrusters on the A since I find she does most of the heavy lifting in this list. I could replace the A-Wing with a Tala, up the Y to a Grey and up the B to a Dagger instead of FCS, which would give me PS 4s for avoiding Predator and helping against TLT swarms I guess.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I'm the world's biggest X-Wing apologist mind, so I am totally biased towards the X-Wing; I don't think they've ever been as 'bad' as people made out, so every buff is welcome on them. :v:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Shockeh posted:

I'm the world's biggest X-Wing apologist mind, so I am totally biased towards the X-Wing; I don't think they've ever been as 'bad' as people made out, so every buff is welcome on them. :v:

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I love Integrated Astromech. I'll probably start running Luke again once it's out. I just can't really proxy because I'm building this list for tournament play.

I should give it a go the next time I'm with my X-Wing buddies for some casual play, although we usually play Epic and either official or self-designed scenarios/campaigns.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

They aren't bad like vanilla TIE Defenders are bad (and I'm the biggest apologist for the TIE Defender myself): the entirety of their issue is the cost. Like, for example, vanilla Khrasazsak are actually alright for their cost, they are one point less than an X-Wing and pretty similar in all other respects. It's weird that a one point difference can make or break a ship but that is the case for the X-Wing when compared to the B-Wing/Khzassr

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

If Red Squadron Pilots had EPTs, X-Wings would be pretty decent. You could put four X-Wings with EPTs on the table. The Kharhrhajhsdklj's strength largely comes from that you can get a Khrahrhrzjkz with EPT or illicits for less than 1/4 of your points allowance. The cheapest EPT X-Wing is 26 points, and it's a named ace.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

There's still the (probably apocryphal) story that the only reason why the red squadron rookie is 21 points was because they didn't want 5 x-wing squadrons when the original core came out, since it did slightly too well against TIE swarms. Which I guess was something necessary at the time, but completely unnecessary in the current meta.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

There's still the (probably apocryphal) story that the only reason why the red squadron rookie is 21 points was because they didn't want 5 x-wing squadrons when the original core came out, since it did slightly too well against TIE swarms. Which I guess was something necessary at the time, but completely unnecessary in the current meta.

They were afraid of a lot of weird things when they started.

See: blaster turret.

The Kihrakxz is not only cheaper than the X-wing, it also has a signifcantly better dial. Having two K-turns and the 1-hards is a tremendous advantage. That being said, I ended up dropping them because I found their survivability lacking. I took Z-95s instead.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I don't really think the Illicit slot makes up for the lack of an Astromech with the Kihraxz, to be honest. If they could take R4s or Unhingeds, they'd be awesome.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Well until the integrated astro slot comes out, the astromech slot is pretty luckluster and illicit upgrades are much better imo. There's only a few astros that are actually worth taking, without counting salvaged astros.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Endman posted:

I don't really think the Illicit slot makes up for the lack of an Astromech with the Kihraxz, to be honest. If they could take R4s or Unhingeds, they'd be awesome.

If they could take R2s they would be insane because they could K-turn and then 1-hard. They're not the most efficient fighter out there but they're pretty good. If you just want to joust though you're better off with Z-95s than any X-wing or Kihrakz.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Panzeh posted:

If they could take R2s they would be insane because they could K-turn and then 1-hard. They're not the most efficient fighter out there but they're pretty good. If you just want to joust though you're better off with Z-95s than any X-wing or Kihrakz.

A green 1-turn would be hilarious. Unfortunately the Kihraxz is Scum, so that'll never happen.

I'm hoping for a Mandal-Motors Ace Box with a Kihraxz and a Scyk in it. Maybe a couple of neat Illicit upgrades that make the Kihraxz better, and maybe a nice tutorial card that tells you not to play the Scyk ever because it's garbage.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Can I get a further clarification on autothrusters please? It says 'beyond range 2' on the card, does that mean 'when shot at range 3'? or 'when shot at range 2-3'?

Endman
May 18, 2010

Genghis Cohen posted:

Can I get a further clarification on autothrusters please? It says 'beyond range 2' on the card, does that mean 'when shot at range 3'? or 'when shot at range 2-3'?

It means ranges 3 and up, since Huge ships like the CR-90 and the Raider can fire up to range 5.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Ah, ok then. Call me a dirty cheater (although I regret nothing, since I whipped my friend handily).

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I keep wondering how the Heavy Scyk card was even printed. Or even considered. I mean.... what.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Shockeh posted:

I keep wondering how the Heavy Scyk card ship was even printed. Or even considered. I mean.... what.

ftfy

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Shockeh posted:

I keep wondering how the Heavy Scyk card was even printed. Or even considered. I mean.... what.

I (want to) like them :saddowns:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

They over-valuated the ability of having a 23 point HLC platform on a fairly maneuverable ship.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Tekopo posted:

They over-valuated the ability of having a 23 point HLC platform on a fairly maneuverable ship.

On something that is functionally as easy to kill as an Academy Pilot TIE-F.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Shockeh posted:

I tried to like them, I really did. But when you've got 100-point lists, it's just too much weight in too fragile a platform. I tried running 5x Ion Cannon lists, but the lack of a 1-speed maneuver is kind of a dealbreaker.

I think you could work it in an Epic game. When you've got 300 points to work with, I've noticed people tend to focus down the named and high-survivability pilots first, then focus on the small fry. If they do that, you might be able to set up a couple pairs of HLC-Sycks as long-ranged fire support while the other boys go play.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Guri (30)
lonewolf (2)
autothrusters (2)

Cartel Spacer (14)
heavy scyk (2)
mangler cannon (4)
stealth device (3)

Cartel Spacer (14)
heavy scyk (2)
mangler cannon (4)
stealth device (3)

Serrisu (20)

Total: 100

I flew this once with some success. Against 4x TIE/X1s. You can do another version of this list where you ditch the stealth devices and give them HLCs for the same points. Wanted to give it another shot soon. The idea is pretty simple. Cause as much bleeding as you can with the scyks before they die and then swoop in with Guri.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's sad that a bunch of the nova squadron people think the #boycottstarwars stuff is just ironic trolling when there are literally posts supporting it on stormfront. Then again, sometimes I forgot that this game is p much like magic for being a homogenous white boys' club.

E: nevermind, guess the post was taken down.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Flew this list last night for four games:

Wedge Antilles (29) [38]
Predator (3)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
BB-8 (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Red Squadron Veteran (26) [34]
Predator (3)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Red Squadron Veteran (26) [28]
Adrenaline Rush (1)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Total: 100

Did pretty well, went 3-1. Beat the ever loving poo poo out of a Redline, Omega Ace, Darth Vader list by launching both torps at Redline and getting him with 11 red dice that all came up hits. He literally couldn't dodge them all and exploded (thanks Wedge!). He got off one Cluster Missile at Wedge, who took a total of three hits and a crit after defense dice, but burned BB-8 to keep from taking a direct hit, leaving him with full hull. The RSV with Adrenaline Rush pulled a sick Talon Roll that left him drat near touching Omega Ace pointed right at the TIE's side. One shot with focus was enough to land three hits and a crit, and after an evade token (and blanked defense dice) a direct hit blew him out of space.

Second game was against a pair of Scum TLT hogs, a mook Z, and Talonbane. Came down to the wire, when I had both RSVs left with no torpedoes, Adrenaline Rush burned, and both astromechs burned with one hull left each. Integrated Astromech kicks rear end.

Third was against four Tempests with Accuracy Corrector and Cluster Missiles. This one was barely even fair, as I mowed down one of them on the first turn of combat, one of them on the second turn of combat and stripped the shields off a third, and then K-turned with Adrenaline Rush to kill the third and strip shields off the fourth. It was brutal. Wedge went down to two Cluster Missiles in one turn, but by then it was already over.

Fourth was against Guri, Laeton, and Serissu. Lost this one mostly on account of bumping and landing wedge on an Asteroid, and then never rolling more than one hit in an attack until the last turn when I exploded. C'est la vie.

List was pretty sweet. Predator makes Proton Torps sexy as hell, and Integrated Astromech is the best 0 point upgrade the game has.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I'm curious on the Redline game, how did you manage to catch him with torpedoes? Did the guy running it hold him back for some reason? I feel like the obvious move is to rush into closer range to prevent the torpedo shots. It's not like the Cluster Missiles want you to hang back or anything.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I caught him with the torpedoes because the alternative was eating range one shots from X-wings with Target Locks. There wasn't a winning move jousting solo against three X-wings with one Punisher, and I made him pay for it.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah, fair enough. I guess jumping into range 1 against Predator and focus isn't much better, but at least in that case you get off the Cluster shot before you die. I'm super happy to see the RSVs working out regardless.

Have you tried autothrusters on them at all? Might not fit with that exact build, but I've been happy with 2 greens and the AT in my limited use of Poe.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The shot ended up at range 2, so he did get the Cluster off (on Wedge) before he exploded simply due to pilot skill.

I've tried autothrusters on Poe and they work when you're up against ships with out of arc weapons. X-wings are not arc dodgers, and T-70s don't get much more arc dodgy just because they've got boost. BB-8 would probably let you get a bit more use out of them, but so far I've found them to be only situationally useful. Autothrusters might save you a hit at range 3 against a lot of common lists in my area, but Integrated Astromech will save you a Direct Hit or Blinded Pilot.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've flown a lot of Punishers. One of two things usually happens:

1) I joust and the punisher dies after shooting once or twice
2) I flank and the punishers can shoot everything they've got.

Missile/torp punishers should always do #2. You can get away with #1 with Deathrain and bombs if you're careful and/or lucky, but even then it's better to come in from the side.

I like to run a Punisher on the edge of a miniswarm so it can break away when necessary.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

It's sad that a bunch of the nova squadron people think the #boycottstarwars stuff is just ironic trolling when there are literally posts supporting it on stormfront. Then again, sometimes I forgot that this game is p much like magic for being a homogenous white boys' club.

E: nevermind, guess the post was taken down.

I'd be overjoyed if they boycott Star Wars. That means all the poo poo people remove themselves from the demographic and Star Wars can just be for me and cool, not-racist people.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Endman posted:

I'd be overjoyed if they boycott Star Wars. That means all the poo poo people remove themselves from the demographic and Star Wars can just be for me and cool, not-racist people.

Wait, what? I hadn't even heard of this. People are boycotting Star wars because of a black main character or something?

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Supposedly it started as trolling from 4chan and blew up on twitter. http://mashable.com/2015/10/20/boycott-star-wars-hashtag-trolling/?utm_cid=mash-com-Tw-main-link#P24DQZHwiPqp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
Are there any tournament competitive uses for the HWK these days? I have an irrational love for the drat thing, but last I checked they were none too popular. I've been out of the loop for a few months though and things change.

• Locked thread