Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xae
Jan 19, 2005

thetechnoloser posted:

I'm finally in the market to upgrade my rares-trading/sothis run Cobra (which is kitted out with pretty much A class everything).. Looking at an Asp. Looking to basically stay multi-role, so that I can also dabble in a little CZ if I so do so / defend myself if I get interdicted.

I've got about 45mill with 5 mill buffer for rebuys in the bank, anyone have any loadouts to recommend, or should I just go hog wild A class on everything? Should I just hold out and build a bankroll for a Python? I might try some exploring, which I would imagine would be much much harder in a Python compared to a Cobra/Asp.

For reference, here's my current Cobra setup.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iii/24A4E4A3D3A3A4C0s0s24240j0403034501-2f.Iw1-kA==.Aw1-kA==

http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iii/24A4A4A3D3A3D4C1b1b24240n04-5d45---.Iw1-kA==.Aw1-kA==

I use something similar when I was grinding CZs.

You're better off purchasing a Vulture or Courier though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

LCL-Dead posted:

I wonder how they're going to push the transition from ship to SRV in horizons. If it will be a little mini-cinematic that will have you force walked through the interior of your ship to the SRV or if you'll just blink and appear behind the controls when you go to drop it onto the surface.

They've said that for right now it's a "fade to black" similar to when you change ships at a station. More when SpaceLegs arrives.

tooterfish posted:

Standard issue spaceman boots have tiny electromagnets in the soles. Also, if you look around the cockpits, there are grab bars all over the place.

Yup - they're were even messing around with this back in the very early stages (@ 06:03, if BBCode doesn't work):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6WmsnwNq98&t=363s

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Toplowtech posted:

Reminds me of battlezone (and it's a good thing).

God drat I miss that game. I played the hell out of that from about 1998-2004. I would pay good money for a faithful reboot. :sigh:

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Chrysophylax posted:

If you're adamant in staying multirole, I suggest something like this - but this is basically an all-missions runner, capable of 1v1 fights. Maybe swap one of the cell banks for more cargo space, if you wanna haul more than fight.

If you want to run CZs, I suggest a Vulture or Courier, at that price range.

Thanks for the help, man. Much appreciated!

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
dr d smart is going to review E:D for us

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

slidebite posted:

God drat I miss that game. I played the hell out of that from about 1998-2004. I would pay good money for a faithful reboot. :sigh:

There was one on Kickstarter but it's going about as well as an obscure crowdfunded indie remake of a forgotten PC game can go.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Alehkhs posted:

They've said that for right now it's a "fade to black" similar to when you change ships at a station. More when SpaceLegs arrives.

Yup - they're were even messing around with this back in the very early stages (@ 06:03, if BBCode doesn't work):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6WmsnwNq98&t=363s

The Adder has a cup holder with a cup in it to the right of your chair, and it has a top on it that looks what a futuristic zero-g mug might look like

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Adder is incredibly cool

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Here we see the majestic Anaconda carefully laying its eggs in a nearby asteroid

So did a few million surprisingly quickly in a Hi mostly because of incidents like above. Buuuut two things

1) Wow I just realized my shield is literal poo poo
2) I run out of power FAST with 4 weapon pips, and I even take massive amounts of heat. What am I doing wrong?

Here is me

http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/24A5A4E3D5A4D3C0v0v0k---42f32j4v2h.Iw19kA==.Aw19kA==

Feel free to mock the shields

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Here we see the majestic Anaconda carefully laying its eggs in a nearby asteroid

So did a few million surprisingly quickly in a Hi mostly because of incidents like above. Buuuut two things

2) I run out of power FAST with 4 weapon pips, and I even take massive amounts of heat. What am I doing wrong?

Here is me

http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/24A5A4E3D5A4D3C0v0v0k---42f32j4v2h.Iw19kA==.Aw19kA==

Do you really seriously have a class 3 C shield in a class 5 slot?

This might work a lot better.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/24A5A4A3D5A4D3C1e1e0k0400025j452o2566.AwRj4zyA.AwiMIy3Ug===

This Vulture should be pretty solid, beams on a vulture really are pretty bad due to the fact that it doesn't radiate heat well, nor does it have a lot of power to spare. You want a B Shield cell bank to get the extra charge out of it, and each cell is ~50% of your shields.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Here is me

The Vulture can't really deal with the required power upkeep of two large beams firing continuously. Swap them out for pew pew pulses to keep firing

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Here is me

You're using two large beams with a class 5 distributor, i.e. there's just no way to fire them for long on that ship.

I gotta shame you for that shield situation man :psyduck:

I took the liberty of redoing your build a little, here.

Swapped out a beam for a cannon, which will give you a mightier punch versus armor (just keep close to your enemy), made your shield 2.68 times stronger, gave you a decent cell bank to recharge between fights, gave you a chaff, 2 shield boosters and a much shittier warrant scanner. I also suggested some power priorities.

But to be honest, I'd get rid of the beam - the vulture's power plant is tiny and can't support those sorts of weapons without sacrificing somewhere else - 23.6% of the power available was just guns, in your build.

Try messing around with dual pulse lasers if you want more tank.

Edit: redid the build a little, oversight

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 20, 2015

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yeah, pulse is the way to go in a vulture. They burn through just about anything short of an Anaconda plenty fast enough, and even those fall before too long.

And don't feel too bad about the shield; I had a class 3 in mine when I was refitting it right after buying it and got my internal slots mixed up. I figured it out real quick when I went into a combat zone.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I don't know how that shield happen but I have to power manage as it is just to have working weapons

I'll switch things around thanks for the help guys~

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
~30 minutes in a HazRES

ALD faction bonuses are kinda ridiculous.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 20, 2015

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

frank.club posted:

Adder is incredibly cool

Even cooler in concept.

Chrysophylax posted:

Because then you can either move on to some other activity or actually enjoy the content that does exist in any ship and configuration you dream, aka playing the sandbox with any/all tools

I've been playing since premium beta, and tend to reset my character every three months or so (or in 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 etc etc). I view this as FE2/FFE with friends (ie a niche product), not a persistent MMO where you have to grind to reach an end state, and then beg the developer to add more high end poo poo for you to not get bored.

Then again, I'm weird (necrogamer + astronomy nerd). Just flying around and enjoying the scenery is enough for me at most times. In the end, I just want to remake/relive this intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbegNmKRZUM

Maybe in 2017 we'll be there.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 20, 2015

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Dante80 posted:

Even cooler in concept.

I've been playing since premium beta, and tend to reset my character every three months or so (or in 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 etc etc). I view this as FE2/FFE with friends (ie a niche product), not a persistent MMO where you have to grind to reach an end state, and then beg the developer to add more high end poo poo for you to not get bored.

Then again, I'm weird (necrogamer + astronomy nerd). Just flying around and enjoying the scenery is enough for me at most times. In the end, I just want to remake/relive this intro.

We're not in disagreement, really, I have pretty much the exact same view. I too played FE2 and FFE and that's all I wanted out of E:D and for the most part got it.

But I enjoyed FE2 a lot more when my brother got me a save with almost infinite money, and I could just buy anything and everything and do anything I wanted :shobon:

E: I guess what I'm trying to say is, I dislike the fact that in order to experience all the ships and configurations you have to put in a lot of time. I view that as the sandbox impeding me from playing with it, and in this case it's just ridiculous the level of grind you gotta do if you want to play with any ship past the Vulture.

The ships themselves stop being 'better than' at that point too, which makes the whole grind even more pointless, I really don't get it.

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 20, 2015

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Libluini next time you come home from the black, here's a neat game to try with random exploration if you ever get bored of just jumping system to system.

E: I'm probably gonna try this when I reach the core, and do that for about a week or 2 before heading back home to sell data. I'll obviously forego the lives portion because I'll be ~26000 LY from home, but it should generate a decent amount of "First Discovered" systems for me.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 20, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

orange juche posted:

Libluini next time you come home from the black, here's a neat game to try with random exploration if you ever get bored of just jumping system to system.

Huh, that could actually be interesting.

Good way to map regions as well.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Cannons: the melee weapons of ED

Effective but the limited ammo is terrible. It's worse than multi, I'd say

e: Hey does anyone else notice that Pythons are uh, dumb as all hell? I never have any issue with them.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

So - I have about a 100 mil in free assets, the question is trade Python or T9? 250 cargo space isn't a very big improvement over ~200 that my Clipper can carry. So - is outpost landing preferable over 500 loving tons, opinions goons?

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Sekenr posted:

So - I have about a 100 mil in free assets, the question is trade Python or T9? 250 cargo space isn't a very big improvement over ~200 that my Clipper can carry. So - is outpost landing preferable over 500 loving tons, opinions goons?

A trader might know with more certainty, but despite being boring as all get out, the T9 prints money - I've heard profits of 2 million per leg of a roundtrip aren't uncommon.

Outpost landing allows you to trade certain goods for higher profit margins, but nothing that gets close to having twice the cargo space.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Sekenr posted:

Cargo hauling is the death of fun, but it depends on what kind of route you can find. The Type-9's huge capacity can spin straw into gold, but outposts often have the best commodity deals precisely because no big haulers can dock there. If you can find a good route that only touches big stations, go for it. If you want flexibility and the choice to slap on some guns and go screw around, go Python.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

orange juche posted:

E: I'm probably gonna try this when I reach the core, and do that for about a week or 2 before heading back home to sell data. I'll obviously forego the lives portion because I'll be ~26000 LY from home, but it should generate a decent amount of "First Discovered" systems for me.

Huh. That's an interesting idea. I would have to use one of my 1D4 out here, though. Not enough targets for normal dice. :v:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

So I bought a Cobra Mk III last night, fitted it out for cargo and did some space trading, wasn't massively profitable but made some. So far most of my money has come from smuggling missions and bounty hunting so I thought I would do some more bounty hunting, this is what I'm currently running in my Viper

http://coriolis.io/outfit/viper/03C3D3D2E3C3E2C27270p0p--01442s2h.Iw1+kA==.Aw1+kA==?bn=Pew%20Pew

The guns seem ok, they take down shields quickly and the multi cannons do decent damage but what should I upgrade next, I was thinking I need to improve my defences a bit, maybe get a heatsink. Baring in mind I'm a space-poor so I need maximum bang for my buck.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
A Cobra is a good ship to run the rares circuit in.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I have an asp and a vulture fitted out and 70m left from Sothis. Not sure what to aim for next. I like rares, smuggling, and fighting round the worlds.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Mercurius posted:

The main expense on the Clipper is the shield if you put in a Size 7 one but remember that a 6A shield will still give you a good amount of shields when you couple it with boosters. The following should be pretty okay for PvP since each time you pop a shield cell it'll restore half of your total shields:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_clipper/06A6B5A5D6A5D4C1e1e27270n0404045t4f326o02020101.Iw18aQ==.IwBj4y2VyA==

It's about 76m normally and if you can I'd stretch it a bit to put A thrusters on it because they make the Clipper as agile as a vulture. With the upcoming discounts you should be able to get the Clipper hull for around 15m and then if you put the rest of the stuff on in a system controlled/exploited by Li Rong-Yui you'll get a 15% discount on all the modules and should be able to do the Clipper+A Thrusters for 70-80m.

e: you can also swap all the cargo bays for hull reinforcements if you're just doing PvP since you won't need the space. If you're aiming to do conflict zones you should drop the KWS for another shield booster and swap the multis for more pulse lasers so you don't have to worry about ammo.

Thanks for the info.

Anyone know when this discount stuff is going to happen with the Imperial stuff? I'm heading out of town on Friday and will be gone until Monday. It would be just my luck if it were to only last the weekend or some poo poo.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Dante80 posted:

Huh, thats pretty neat how despite 20 some years old, and amiga level graphics I instantly recognized the eagles when the flew into the intro. Would love to see that recreated in ED, though I don't know what that main ship was supposed to be.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Tom Guycot posted:

Huh, thats pretty neat how despite 20 some years old, and amiga level graphics I instantly recognized the eagles when the flew into the intro. Would love to see that recreated in ED, though I don't know what that main ship was supposed to be.

That was the original Imperial Courier, a very heavy fighter sporting a pair of class 5 hyperdrive engines.

The basic design (two very big engine nacelles and the fuselage in the middle) has carried over to ED.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 20, 2015

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
It's an imperial courier. Which I know without even watching the video.

E:f;b

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Others were faster on the draw, but yeah that is the old iCourier.
In E:D the iClipper is basically a more modern Imperial Courier (down to a similar look, size and mass), while the actual iCourier in-game is a new design.

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
So I've got the budget stick in the OP winging it's way to me in the post. I'm still terrible though :suicide:

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Regarding the smuggling mission nerf.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=193353&p=2976583#post2976583

quote:

Hello Commanders!

This is just a tiny update on long range smuggler missions.

We've currently made them more rare, nothing more.

In the near future, we will be looking to make some more changes (cargo size, time limits, reward values), but this hasn't happened yet.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Then why we're all the other non long range missions cut back too?

It's too bad the switching modes exploit wasn't fixed instead of this. Fixing the game's problem instead of just cutting the fun stuff would be cool

frank.club fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 20, 2015

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Because frontier just grabbed all the levers and yanked them backwards. What's lovely is the people on the forums crowing about how happy that they are that the missions got nerfed because how dare you expect to make credits in a somewhat reasonable amount of time because the old elite games you had to work so much harder for everything.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's weird reading people say thanks to spite others who were smuggling? That's crazy

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

orange juche posted:

Because frontier just grabbed all the levers and yanked them backwards. What's lovely is the people on the forums crowing about how happy that they are that the missions got nerfed because how dare you expect to make credits in a somewhat reasonable amount of time because the old elite games you had to work so much harder for everything.

Frontier should do the same thing the company I'm sometimes filling out polls for does: If someone gives clearly insane opinions, the poll closes itself and deletes the mad and clearly wrong answers.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

frank.club posted:

It's weird reading people say thanks to spite others who were smuggling? That's crazy

Its not crazy, in that those guys that say it are thinking that this was an exploit, not a balance problem for a feature. The simple idea of trying to get more missions by exiting and re-joining the instance-session to re-roll the BB is a game exploit for them.

Which is partially right, but - in the end - irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

frank.club posted:

I don't really get what the problem with the nerf is though? It was clearly unintentional and it made smuggling loads better than the other professions for making money. I mean you can still use your cheesy exploit to get ahead if you want, it's just not as effective. It was horribly broken, it's now fixed a bit, life goes on.

• Locked thread