Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Just search Greg Land sucks, there's tons out there on why he's terrible.

Maybe use parenthesis to search the whole phrase. Otherwise you may find some of his... reference material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/Grant-Morrison-Sale/page/8498?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Doom Patrol, Invisibles, The Filth, Flex Mentallo, We3, Seaguy, Joe The Barbarian, Swamp Thing, Kid Eternity, The Authority, Aztek, JLA, The Flash, DC One Million, Seven Soldiers, All-Star Superman, Final Crisis, Batman (all of it :D), Action Comics.

Whew.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
They're bound to run out of great sales at some point.
I'm glad I already own most of this stuff or I'd be pretty hosed.
Nice to see The Return of Bruce Wayne finally on sale!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Okay. I knew I said I was done. But nope.

I can't resist Morrison.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hot take: buy We3. Then give your pets plenty of treats :unsmith:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

https://www.comixology.com/Grant-Morrison-Sale/page/8498?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Doom Patrol, Invisibles, The Filth, Flex Mentallo, We3, Seaguy, Joe The Barbarian, Swamp Thing, Kid Eternity, The Authority, Aztek, JLA, The Flash, DC One Million, Seven Soldiers, All-Star Superman, Final Crisis, Batman (all of it :D), Action Comics.

Whew.

Goddamn it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

We3 goes well with Beast of Burden which is now on comixology

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Wow these recolors of Morrison's JLA are messing with my head.

I need to find my singles and compare.

Also Morrison's JLA is awesome. You should buy it.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Anyone have takes on The Filth and Seaguy?

(I have medium patience for Morrison, at least as I've experienced his work so far. WE3 is one of my favorite comics, and I thought All-Star Superman was pretty much a blast, too. Seem to recall liking Arkham Asylum as well, though that was a while back and I imagine McKean art was important for that. I thought his New X-Men and Batman runs were pretty good--you know, *interesting*, at least, even if some of the storytelling choices seemed goofy. Haven't read The Invisibles/Doom Patrol/Flex Mentallo/Animal Man, but they seem like long runs to commit to when I've been "eh" on some of his most acclaimed work--especially since I think I'd be less interested in mystical/meta stuff than just in new, cool ideas executed in an interesting way.)

edit: Thanks, all! Decisions, decisions. Sounds like Seaguy'll be a safe pick. I'm not certain I'll like The Filth either, but I might get it anyway--I want to give Morrison at his weirdest a *shot*, and that seems like a way to do so at a lower-risk price and time investment. Will look into the other recs as well--Seven Soldiers was one I hadn't heard of before, looks potentially pretty cool. It's amazing how divisive these all are -- there are Morrison fans who think Seven Soldiers and The Filth are his best, and others who say they're his worst.

onefish fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 20, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

onefish posted:

(I have medium patience for Morrison, at least as I've experienced his work so far. WE3 is one of my favorite comics, and I thought All-Star Superman was pretty much a blast, too. I thought his New X-Men and Batman runs were pretty good--you know, *interesting*, at least, even if some of the storytelling choices seemed goofy. Haven't read The Invisibles/Doom Patrol/Flex Mentallo/Animal Man, but they seem like long runs to commit to when I've been "eh" on some of his most acclaimed work--especially since I think I'd be less interested in mystical/meta stuff than just in new, cool ideas executed in an interesting way.)

You'd like Seaguy and Joe the Barbarian, I think.

e: Maybe Action Comics too.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 20, 2015

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

onefish posted:

(I have medium patience for Morrison, at least as I've experienced his work so far. WE3 is one of my favorite comics, and I thought All-Star Superman was pretty much a blast, too. I thought his New X-Men and Batman runs were pretty good--you know, *interesting*, at least, even if some of the storytelling choices seemed goofy. Haven't read The Invisibles/Doom Patrol/Flex Mentallo/Animal Man, but they seem like long runs to commit to when I've been "eh" on some of his most acclaimed work--especially since I think I'd be less interested in mystical/meta stuff than just in new, cool ideas executed in an interesting way.)

I'm not sure you'd like The Filth.
Maybe give Seven Soldiers a try? If you do, go with the trades, to avoid having to deal with the reading order.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

And I JUST finished buying all the stuff I wanted from the other Vertigo sale. But this looks too good to pass up. A few questions:

- If I buy those 4 volumes of JLA, will that collect his entire celebrated run, or are there tie ins and other stuff to worry about?

- Those 2 Flash volumes: worth getting if I haven't read any other pre-52 Flash?

- If you remove Batman Inc. (which I hated in the New 52), I count 8 Batman collections: 3 Batman and Robin, 5 others. All worth getting, or should I pick and choose?

Thanks.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dunbar posted:

- If you remove Batman Inc. (which I hated in the New 52), I count 8 Batman collections: 3 Batman and Robin, 5 others. All worth getting, or should I pick and choose?
Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul is separate (and not great), and the rest are all part of one very long story arc. If you didn't like parts 9 and 10 of his Batman run (which is what the N52 Batman Inc effectively is) I doubt you'll like the first 8.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

onefish posted:

The Filth is my facorite comic of his. it's the counterculture weirdness of The Invisibles condensed to 13 issues and with an extreme misanthropic streak.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My cat has cancer, so he's already getting all the attention I can give him. I think now would be a bad time to re-read We3.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Well drat.

At least I'll fill the gaps from the big Batman sale now.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

If you have medium or low tolerance of Morrison then Doom Patrol is still a good pick. It's good.

The Filth, while I really enjoyed it as a response to Invisibles, may come across as up its own rear end if you read it straightforward (unlike Invisibles which climbs up its rear end halfway through and never escapes until the very very end).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Those six trades are all of Morrison's Doom Patrol right? If I know literally nothing about DP besides its pantheonic status, am I gonna be lost?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dunbar posted:

And I JUST finished buying all the stuff I wanted from the other Vertigo sale. But this looks too good to pass up. A few questions:

- If I buy those 4 volumes of JLA, will that collect his entire celebrated run, or are there tie ins and other stuff to worry about?

- Those 2 Flash volumes: worth getting if I haven't read any other pre-52 Flash?

Thanks.

Get Earth 2 and DC One Million with JLA. They're part of the run.
What did you hate about Batman Inc? If you'd rather not read it as one giant interconnected thing, Batman and Robin Vol 1 and 2 are fun and fairly isolated from the larger narrative. 3 starts going back and forth with Return of Bruce Wayne, which is by far the most confusing and complicated comic, and ties all of the previous run in.
You may enjoy the first series of Batman Inc a lot more, if your problems were the tone, Robin and the artist. The first series was a lot of globetrotting adventures with guest characters while Batman's setting up his international army. It's quite different from the N52 one apart from establishing it's villains.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 20, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Oh, DC One Million is part of this? I didn't realize.

What do I need if I want to read that event? Looks like there's approximately one million (ha!) tie-ins.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

zoux posted:

Those six trades are all of Morrison's Doom Patrol right? If I know literally nothing about DP besides its pantheonic status, am I gonna be lost?

Yes, no. There are a few bits that were relevant when they were published but outside of that it's self-contained.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Uthor posted:

Oh, DC One Million is part of this? I didn't realize.

What do I need if I want to read that event? Looks like there's approximately one million (ha!) tie-ins.

I only read the Morrison written 1-4 and JLA issue the first time. I have the Omnibus with everything on the shelf to get through once I re-read JLA :D

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!

zoux posted:

Saying this as a guy who read it without knowing anything at the time of reading it. Not really. A couple of things are referenced here or there that are not need to know.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

What did you hate about Batman Inc? If you'd rather not read it as one giant interconnected thing, Batman and Robin Vol 1 and 2 are fun and fairly isolated from the larger narrative. 3 starts going back and forth with Return of Bruce Wayne, which is by far the most confusing and complicated comic, and ties all of the previous run in.
You may enjoy the first series of Batman Inc a lot more, if your problems were the tone, Robin and the artist. The first series was a lot of globetrotting adventures with guest characters while Batman's setting up his international army. It's quite different from the N52 one apart from establishing it's villains.
OK. Just the Earth 2 collection and the 4 issues of One Million on sale currently?

To the degree I hated it (that was probably a bad choice of words), it was because I just couldn't understand it. Most of comics lore/continuity is still new to me so if those two New 52 volumes were really parts 9 and 10 of a long run, combined with the typical Morrison intentional obfuscation, it's no surprise I couldn't follow it. I spent an hour or so looking up stuff on wiki and it sounds like if I buy all the Morrison Batman stuff currently on sale and start reading from Batman and Son, I'll have a better shot of liking it. Of course that also makes it sound like I should try to read Final Crisis, and to understand that I should read Countdown to Final Crisis and 52, which takes you back to Infinite Crisis... this is why I shouldn't look up comic continuity.

Unrelated question, is it normal for comics you've bought to show up on the website but not the app? The stuff I bought off the Vertigo sale is showing up fine on the website but I can't load it in the app. Tried reloading/restarting the app to no avail.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dunbar posted:

OK. Just the Earth 2 collection and the 4 issues of One Million on sale currently?

To the degree I hated it (that was probably a bad choice of words), it was because I just couldn't understand it. Most of comics lore/continuity is still new to me so if those two New 52 volumes were really parts 9 and 10 of a long run, combined with the typical Morrison intentional obfuscation, it's no surprise I couldn't follow it. I spent an hour or so looking up stuff on wiki and it sounds like if I buy all the Morrison Batman stuff currently on sale and start reading from Batman and Son, I'll have a better shot of liking it. Of course that also makes it sound like I should try to read Final Crisis, and to understand that I should read Countdown to Final Crisis and 52, which takes you back to Infinite Crisis... this is why I shouldn't look up comic continuity.

Unrelated question, is it normal for comics you've bought to show up on the website but not the app? The stuff I bought off the Vertigo sale is showing up fine on the website but I can't load it in the app. Tried reloading/restarting the app to no avail.

NO do not read Countdown to Final Crisis that had nothing to do with Final Crisis. JUst read the Batman. Something happens in Final Crisis that is important in the Batman run, but you will get it all by just reading Batman.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Dunbar posted:

Unrelated question, is it normal for comics you've bought to show up on the website but not the app?

Not really. I was annoyed that the Marvel books I bought took like 3 minutes to show up last time.

If you're on Android, try clearing your cache or hitting the back button until the app closes or pulling up the app switcher and swiping it away from there. Maybe log out and log in. Try to force it to update the database.

Not sure if any of that applies to iDevices, sorry.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I betcha Grant Morrison himself didn't read Countdown to Final Crisis.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

My cat has cancer, so he's already getting all the attention I can give him. I think now would be a bad time to re-read We3.

You should probably give The Filth a miss as well.

Also! Is DOOM FORCE in the collected Doom Patrol trades, or does it have to be bought separately?

vegetables fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 21, 2015

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

vegetables posted:

You should probably give The Filth a miss as well.

Also! Is DOOM FORCE in the collected Doom Patrol trades, or does it have to be bought separately?

It was in my physical trade so I assume it's in the digital one.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Another big rear end Humble Bundle is up.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books

"Udderly Gigantic" Top Cow collection
IXth Generation #1-5
IXth Generation Hidden Files #1
Witchblade Vol 1-8
Artifacts Vol 1-6
Apollo IX #1
Artemis IX #1
Athena IX #1
Poseidon IX #1
Aphrodite IX Rebirth Vol 1-2
Aphrodite IX Hidden Files #1
Aphrodite IX/Cyber Force #1
Cyber Force Rebirth Vol 1-2

BTA
Freshmen Vol 1-2
Down Vol 1
Tales of Honor Vol 1
Genius Vol 1
The Tithe Vol 1
The Darkness Origins Vol 1-4
Postal Vol 1
Midnight Nation Vol 1
Rising Stars Compendium
Berserker Vol 1

Pay $15 or more
Switch #1
Sunstone Vol 1-3
IXth Generation: Issue 6

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's one I'll be skipping.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly, Sunstone's probably worth the 15bux on it's own, if you're down with a bit of raunch with your romance.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
We3 individual issues total $2.97. Anyone know what's different/included in the trade paperback?

Dammit, I think I've read this series three times already. Time I finally buy it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The hardcover, at least, has some added pages, but nothing essential.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Looking back at the Grant Morrison sale, how was his Action Comics run?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I didn't find his Superman stuff terribly engaging, and I'm a pretty big morrison fan.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It's pretty good till the last half when it flies up its rear end so hard it's like that scene with Mogo from injustice. So it becomes a regular Morrison comic.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Got it, looks like I'll skip it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I gotta provide a dissenting opinion here. I thought it was beautiful.
It does get tricky after a very simple start, but I thought that all wrapped in a really interesting way.
Really nice backup stories too.

At least read the stand-alone-ish #0, 9 and 13.

#0 is about a kid who steals Superman's cape, #9 is about an alternate world's Superman and serves as a bit of a prequel to Multiversity and #13 is a halloween spooky special with some Krypto stuff that might make you cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i'm generally a very big Morrison fan but his Action Comics run was a total swing-and-a-miss for me. felt like he had exhausted everything he has to say about that character.