Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

david_a posted:

So does Revision modify any gameplay stuff or is it just the maps and Shifter/Biomod do the rest?
AFAIK, it's just the maps/textures/music. Gameplay is vanilla unless you explicitly tell it to use Shifter or Biomod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Has the new UAC made it into DoomRPG trunk yet? Have they made it not feel like it was accidentally scaled up 3x and is way too big for Doom-sized humans?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

horse mans posted:

Has the new UAC made it into DoomRPG trunk yet? Have they made it not feel like it was accidentally scaled up 3x and is way too big for Doom-sized humans?

No. Kyle has all but quit working on it and the UAC map is still way too big.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

david_a posted:

So does Revision modify any gameplay stuff or is it just the maps and Shifter/Biomod do the rest?

By default, the gameplay uses a custom version of Human Renovation, which is just bugfixes and some slight AI improvements. You can go into the Game Options menu and switch it up to Shifter or Biomod modes. Biomod includes all the stuff from Default and Shifter, so it's probably the way to go if you want to mix things up a little.

Other than that, yeah, it's just new maps/textures/music/models/etc. Some maps are just slight remixes with increased detail, but others add whole new areas, routes or side-missions.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

dis astranagant posted:

There's a menu option to scale the hud and messages properly but I can't remember where it's hiding. I tried firing up DoomRPG just now and got stuck at the shop because the overlay's too drat big and the instructions got cut off. I think that's enough for me. That and trying to figure out where I'm going to put 11-19 more buttons.

DoomRPG is one of the most ambitious DooM mods ever but yeah, it could really use some streamlining but,

dis astranagant posted:

No. Kyle has all but quit working on it and the UAC map is still way too big.

So much for that!

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
This is the issue I'm getting. I can view the effects of armor I am wearing

but not the effects of items in my inventory

I've collected a fair amount of rare items but I have no idea what they do and I'm scared to try them in case I can't ever remove them.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

nexus6 posted:

This is the issue I'm getting. I can view the effects of armor I am wearing

but not the effects of items in my inventory

I've collected a fair amount of rare items but I have no idea what they do and I'm scared to try them in case I can't ever remove them.

I posted that a bit further up. Use the armor in your inventory then check that page. Pre-1.0 builds limited you to 1 armor and 1 set of boots and that's the half assed solution they came up with for the new limits. There's very little chance you'll change off nuclear power armor, though. Consider making a gauss rifle, it gets a huge damage bonus if you're wearing that set.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

I posted that a bit further up. Use the armor in your inventory then check that page. Pre-1.0 builds limited you to 1 armor and 1 set of boots and that's the half assed solution they came up with for the new limits. There's very little chance you'll change off nuclear power armor, though. Consider making a gauss rifle, it gets a huge damage bonus if you're wearing that set.

I have a gauss rifle, it doesn't fire fast enough for my taste :P

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

nexus6 posted:

I have a gauss rifle, it doesn't fire fast enough for my taste :P

It's a line aoe murder beam. Sadly not as strong as the antimateriel rifle even with the set bonus but still a good way to wreck anything smaller than a vile.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Big chunk of Brutal Doom campaign footage, from its standalone incarnation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g328mT_x2T8

It's due out end of this month/start of next.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Is he testing the legal waters and releasing the stock sprites with it? I thought he was going to use Freedoom to avoid the legal mess.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Zlocista posted:

Is he testing the legal waters and releasing the stock sprites with it? I thought he was going to use Freedoom to avoid the legal mess.

That is Freedoom. The sprites are apparently all based on Romero's prototype dump, which is why everything has full 360 degree rotations now. Also, it's been 21 years now. I don't think anyone is going to care - not even Activision - if someone rips a few Doom sprites for a freeware release. If they did, then half of Gamejolt would be a smoking crater.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Activision hasn't had anything to do with Doom for like seven years, though?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Oops, sorry, Bethesda/Zenimax.

It's been so long since I've even looked.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The idea that the prototype resources are okay for reuse in things not based on the commercial Doom IWADs is very shaky. He's betting on the "no one will care" factor. I just hope this "look this is legit I'm using Freedoom" isn't going to cause problems for Freedoom.

Also I don't remember them containing Doom II sprites like the mancubus and Hell knight.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 17, 2015

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I reckon that if Aeons Of Death can go for god knows how many years without anyone raising an eyebrow that it contains plundered assets from about fifty games, having some edited/redrawn ones from a single game is something nobody in their right mind is going to give half a poo poo about.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Pretending you're not doing anything wrong is more likely to tick people off than owning it, though. Yes, it's irrational, but humans are like that.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Yea, there's nothing that's freeware or public domain about the prototype sprite dumps.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Dominic White posted:

That is Freedoom. The sprites are apparently all based on Romero's prototype dump, which is why everything has full 360 degree rotations now.

Cat Mattress posted:

Also I don't remember them containing Doom II sprites like the mancubus and Hell knight.

That's because all of the Doom/Doom 2 monster sprites have been included, not just prototype/unreleased ones.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Holy moly, I got a railgun in DoomRPG's item roulette

http://gfycat.com/AngelicFoolhardyDikdik

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Now try the antimateriel rifle or gauss rifle (the latter needs a small change if you want to use it with nuclear power armor).

Yesterday's patch makes the latter gratuitously powerful.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 19, 2015

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Now try the antimateriel rifle or gauss rifle (the latter needs a small change if you want to use it with nuclear power armor).

Yesterday's patch makes the latter gratuitously powerful.

There's a new patch for doomrla? Awesome

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mostly bug fixes but it also makes it so you can charge up the gauss rifle for more than quad damage. But you need to open it up in SLADE and replace all instances of
code:
TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("RLEnclaveSetBonusActive", 1, 3)
in the DEC_GAUS lump with

code:
TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("RLEnclaveSetBonusActive", 1, 2)
for it to work with nuclear power armor.

The patch also makes the Voltgun ridiculous, killing Overminds in one clip.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

1.04 is out, contains the gauss rifle fix and several others.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
How do I get the doomRL arsenal hud to pop up? I'm runninng DoomRPG+RLA, and binding buttons to any of the RLA commands does nothing. My batch file is:

..\gzdoom -savedir ..\saves\doomrpg\ -config ..\saves\doomrpg\doomrpg.ini -iwad doom2.wad -file "..\wads\levels\scythe.wad" -file "..\wads\Gameplay Changers, Monster Changers, etc\Doom RPG\DoomRL_Arsenal_1.02.wad" "..\wads\Gameplay Changers, Monster Changers, etc\Doom RPG\DoomRL_HUD.1.02.wad" "..\wads\Gameplay Changers, Monster Changers, etc\Doom RPG\DoomRL_Monsters_Beta_6.2.wad" "..\wads\Gameplay Changers, Monster Changers, etc\Doom RPG\DoomRPG" "..\wads\Gameplay Changers, Monster Changers, etc\Doom RPG\DoomRPG-RLArsenal" "..\wads\Gameplay Changers, Monster Changers, etc\Doom RPG\DoomRPG-RLMonsters"

Also, how do I get my current armor and boots to show up above my healthbar like in nexus6's video?

man I thought I was good at computers, then fuckin doom kicked my rear end.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

bbcisdabomb posted:

How do I get the doomRL arsenal hud to pop up? I'm runninng DoomRPG+RLA, and binding buttons to any of the RLA commands does nothing. My batch file is:

..\gzdoom -savedir ..\saves\doomrpg\ -config ..\saves\doomrpg\doomrpg.ini -iwad doom2.wad -file "..\wads\levels\scythe.wad" -file "..\wads\Gameplay Changers, Monster Changers, etc\Doom RPG\DoomRL_Arsenal_1.02.wad" "..\wads\Gameplay Changers, Monster Changers, etc\Doom RPG\DoomRL_HUD.1.02.wad" "..\wads\Gameplay Changers, Monster Changers, etc\Doom RPG\DoomRL_Monsters_Beta_6.2.wad" "..\wads\Gameplay Changers, Monster Changers, etc\Doom RPG\DoomRPG" "..\wads\Gameplay Changers, Monster Changers, etc\Doom RPG\DoomRPG-RLArsenal" "..\wads\Gameplay Changers, Monster Changers, etc\Doom RPG\DoomRPG-RLMonsters"

Also, how do I get my current armor and boots to show up above my healthbar like in nexus6's video?

man I thought I was good at computers, then fuckin doom kicked my rear end.

The doomrl hud is size 11 only. You're also 2 builds behind.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Yeah, I haven't updated yet, was playing while Payday 2 was updating.

How do I specify a HUD size?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

bbcisdabomb posted:

Yeah, I haven't updated yet, was playing while Payday 2 was updating.

How do I specify a HUD size?
Plus and Minus keys.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I just end up with this:

Pressing my doomRLA buttons does nothing.

e. I have both boots and armor equipped.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I actually sat down and read your giant command line and it looks like you have the wrong file name for the hud.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

dis astranagant posted:

I actually sat down and read your giant command line and it looks like you have the wrong file name for the hud.

Well I'll be damned, that was it. I grabbed all that from the github but it looks like I just screwed up the wad naming. Thanks!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Not exactly "early FPS", but Doom [4] alpha codes are going out, apparently. Set for this weekend.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Got one, let's see how multiplayer is. Even if I care more about creating my own maps.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I need 8 other people to get a game of Natural Selection 1 going. Who's in?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Who the hell decided that the exit for the Catacombs in Deus Ex Revision should be a secret :psyduck:

I spent half an hour trying to leave them after rescuing the hostages for Chad and had to look it up online.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Id posted an official video of the Doom Closed Alpha:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfe7V-_3r0

It... Honestly, the pacing and movement? It reminds me more of Halo series multiplayer with a bit more emphasis on verticality. That's not necessarily a bad thing, because Halo multiplayer was pretty drat fun, but if you're expecting Doom 1 with normal maps you're probably gonna vomit blood.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Grognards can vomit blood. Doom(4?) is a different game than Doom and Doom 2, why would anyone expect the gameplay of a 1993/94 videogame? It looks good so far and is a showcase video, it'll be faster on PC just because of mouse aiming and they can still tune movement speed easily.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
It looks really boring and slow, and the announcer sounds like a speak n' spell.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
I've been pretty cautiously optimistic about Doom 4 so far. It's definitely much more of a "modern FPS" than some people seem to expect/want, but it looks fun nonetheless and I'd rather see a high-quality modern shooter much more than one that just tries to flatly imitate "classic" games and ends up missing the mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I mean, I'm not expecting Doom [4] to have the exact same gameplay of Doom 2, although it'd have been nice. I don't think anything's quite nailed that gameplay style since the first Quake. Still, that being the case, there was no reason to expect Doom [4] to suddenly buck that trend, and for what's been shown thus far (well, going off the E3 videos, haven't had the chance to watch this one yet), it still looks pretty fun.