Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Dibujante posted:

All armies can be all mercs all the time if you're Ottoman WCing.

Do you get Trade or Economics, or are the merc reduction costs from Administrative enough?

Also mercs are irritating in that if a regiment gets wiped out, it is deleted, instead of staying at 0 and replenishing. Another reason I'll never have the skill/patience to do a WC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dibujante posted:

All armies can be all mercs all the time if you're Ottoman WCing.

It's not the manpower, it's the forcelimits.

Plus mercs are kind of annoying because you have to build them all manually. It'll be better with Cossacks though.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Hey, Prussian experts: any walkthroughs for Brandenburg -> Prussia?

After doing Russian mass waves of conquest, I have the need for stackwipes with invencible goose-steppin' :getin:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Re: development chat

It's a much better mechanic for representing province wealth and manpower but it's not actually useful or interesting as a tool for players. It's a point dump where you prioritize unlocking building slots and maintaining accepted cultures. In other words, the actual direct benefits from income and manpower are generally poo poo relative to the MP cost.

The metagame of development is really weird. Large nations will spend their points on expansion and generally not develop much. Small to medium sized nations will have nothing to do with their points and develop hugely, such that any European minor winds up with all their provinces 20-30+ development by 1600. You see, the reason a unified Germany historically terrified the rest of Europe is because all the HRE minors sat their spamming province development while the other world powers spent their MPs conquering and colonizing.

Development cost reduction can be deceptive. If you pay full price early, you get the benefits for most/all the campaign. If you develop later you can do so much more cheaply but you're also only getting the benefits for part of the campaign and more importantly those are points you're not spending on the cheaper expansion from Administrative Efficiency. It's kind of a trap.

Buying development is a point dump with a return on investment about as good as culture conversion. Maybe even less so.

Edit: except gold mines those are usually worth a few points of production at least.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 20, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Transmetropolitan posted:

Hey, Prussian experts: any walkthroughs for Brandenburg -> Prussia?

After doing Russian mass waves of conquest, I have the need for stackwipes with invencible goose-steppin' :getin:

1. Ally Poland, Austria, and then people who will help you fight Pomerania.
  2. Take the Reclaim Neumark mission.
  3. Wait for Poland to get Lithuania in a PU, use them to attack the TO. Call only Poland to the war. Take Neumark, give Poland Chelmno. Drive the warscore up as high as possible to ensure the truce lasts as long as possible.
  4. Take the Pomeranian succession mission.
  5. Attack Pomerania, take the two provinces the mission gives you claims on. Wait for the truce with the TO to run down, forge a claim on Danzig. Use Poland to attack the TO again. Take Konigsberg, Memel, Ortelsburg, and Osterode. Give everything else possible to Poland.
  6. Find a way to obtain the provinces of Cleve, Paderborn, and Westfalen, but no other provinces.
  7. Use Austria to conquer Silesia.
  8. Achieve maximum HRE pretty borders.

:cryingfrederickthegreat:

All of this my legitimate advice. But to play optimally, take Danzig at Step 5 instead.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 20, 2015

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
thanks to a crummy king and a long series of questionable decisions, I got in a Civil War, intentionally lost it, and got something of a surprise:

I did not remember that all of the pretender armies would flip to me when they won, giving me an extra ~60,000 men (my army was ~40,000) & putting me at my forcelimit for the first time in the last hundred years. Kind of a funny bonus...

(The new pretender also gave me +10 Imperial Authority for being re-elected to the imperial throne.)

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Started a spice island run with the hopes of becoming sikh but after looking into it there's not much of anything that it does better than hinduism. The hindu specific events in particular are really good(say goodbye to lovely rulers!), while the guru event chain is merely okay.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Is anyone else not getting new ideas when they're supposed to?

I just flipped from the Teutonic Order to Prussia, but I still have Teutonic ideas. :confused:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Is anyone else not getting new ideas when they're supposed to?

I just flipped from the Teutonic Order to Prussia, but I still have Teutonic ideas. :confused:

The decision is certainly coded to swap them. :iiam:

Bug report that poo poo.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

PittTheElder posted:

The decision is certainly coded to swap them. :iiam:

Bug report that poo poo.
Had the same thing happen with 'reform the byzantine empire.' Odd. Maybe I'll just verify the game cache, see if that fixes it.

edit: Well, it passed verification completely, so...huh.

edit2: Already reported, apparently.

quote:

There is a known bug where if the majority of your chosen idea groups are admin ideas then you will not swap ideas when forming nations. This is supposed to be fixed in the next patch but that is some time off.
Weird bug.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 20, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Odobenidae posted:

Started a spice island run with the hopes of becoming sikh but after looking into it there's not much of anything that it does better than hinduism. The hindu specific events in particular are really good(say goodbye to lovely rulers!), while the guru event chain is merely okay.

Both Hinduism and Sikhism are great. Hinduism gives you some flexibility with the different deities and the opportunity for permanent monarch stat boosts by events (read up on this on the wiki they're kinda complex). Sikhism opens up the"Save the Burning World" decision which gives +3% Missionary Strength in exchange for -2 Heretic Tolerance. It might be worth switching to Sikhism just to snag that.

But going Animist -> Hindu and making sure to take the missionary strength decisions, you should have no problem converting most everything.

Edit:

You can go Animist -> Hindu -> Sikh -> Hindu if you want. It's not all that hard and you spend a lot of time sitting around as there aren't too many enemies until the Euros show up.

I would say the ultimate powergaming setup would be

Animist -> Hindu -> Sikh -> Shia

that's a pretty ludicrous collection of bonuses and not all that difficult except for the final Shia bit.

Animist into Hindu is as easy as conquering west a bit which you'll be doing anyway. Sikhism you can flip to from Hindu by decision around 1500 once it spawns, though you ought to snag a Sunni province before you ditch Hinduism as then you can get the -6% tech cost policy. Shia would be the tricky part.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 20, 2015

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Finished up my silly 1776-1821 USA game. You can only really win the war with a lot of mercenaries, and all the land in North America is total poo poo (3 development everywhere) but it's pretty much your continent once you win. It's easy to overrun all the natives to get the center of the continent, and then i was able to colonize all the way to Oregon pretty easily. imperialist wars versus neighbors took care of the rest, and I grabbed a bunch of African provinces (even though I'd banned slavery) and some of the Caribbean. I did manage to hit my goal of becoming an official Empire by the end, with total development over 1000. The little dots inside america are Cree, Cherokee, and Spanish Louisiana (couldn't get enough warscore vs Spain.)

Also amusing: the Thirteen Colonies formed in British Florida and got free. After I jumped them they fled to a couple random provinces in La Plata, still the Thirteen Colonies forevermore.

The best way to win the war in the 1776 start is just to take loans out to 2k gold and then buy off the brits with it. The 0 day American War for Independence.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pellisworth posted:

Re: development chat

It's a much better mechanic for representing province wealth and manpower but it's not actually useful or interesting as a tool for players. It's a point dump where you prioritize unlocking building slots and maintaining accepted cultures. In other words, the actual direct benefits from income and manpower are generally poo poo relative to the MP cost.

The metagame of development is really weird. Large nations will spend their points on expansion and generally not develop much. Small to medium sized nations will have nothing to do with their points and develop hugely, such that any European minor winds up with all their provinces 20-30+ development by 1600. You see, the reason a unified Germany historically terrified the rest of Europe is because all the HRE minors sat their spamming province development while the other world powers spent their MPs conquering and colonizing.

Development cost reduction can be deceptive. If you pay full price early, you get the benefits for most/all the campaign. If you develop later you can do so much more cheaply but you're also only getting the benefits for part of the campaign and more importantly those are points you're not spending on the cheaper expansion from Administrative Efficiency. It's kind of a trap.

Buying development is a point dump with a return on investment about as good as culture conversion. Maybe even less so.

Edit: except gold mines those are usually worth a few points of production at least.

A big part of what development does is keep medium sized nations relevant in the late game, so that one blob doesn't have the rest of the world's forcelimits together.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Node posted:

The Ottomans were my third playthrough of this game, way, way before Common Sense, Western Focus, etc. I got the Silk Road achievement with them, and I'm tempted to try Over 1000 now since I know a bit more about the game. I'm never even going to attempt a WC in this game.

I'm thinking my idea order should be something like Humanist -> Influence -> Admin (just up to Adaptability) -> Offensive/Defensive -> it doesn't matter by this point. And take Wien as soon as I can for Western Focus. Block off India and Africa to core provinces there on the cheap. Is that pretty much a surefire way of going about it?

I personally prefer it the other way around, take Admin first but only fill up to Adaptability for the coring discount, the earlier you get it the more points you save. To keep your empire together pick quantity as second Idea (if Mehmet lives long enough) to get the force limits to suppress all those rebels. In my experience I get to conquer a lot faster this way because I am not blocked by lack of admin points to core.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Wiz posted:

A big part of what development does is keep medium sized nations relevant in the late game, so that one blob doesn't have the rest of the world's forcelimits together.

And it does that in a way that feels much less like a gently caress you than just outright inverse scaling with size.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

good poo poo

Hehe, thanks. Having the Baltic coastline won't royally piss off the Commonwealth, though?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Looks like the devs are resuming their MP Cossacks stream at 1500 CEST (as in, in 40 mins from this edit).

Obliterati fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 20, 2015

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Had the same thing happen with 'reform the byzantine empire.' Odd. Maybe I'll just verify the game cache, see if that fixes it.

edit: Well, it passed verification completely, so...huh.

edit2: Already reported, apparently.

Weird bug.

It's because National Ideas are technically Admin idea lines; the limit on taking more than 50% of your idea groups in one category kicks in when it tries to replace your ideas.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Transmetropolitan posted:

Hehe, thanks. Having the Baltic coastline won't royally piss off the Commonwealth, though?

It will, but gently caress 'em. Keep in mind that attacking you means taking on you, your allies, the HRE, and all his allies. Poland isn't going to like those odds.

If you only own Ducal Prussia you can usually delay their wrath, but they'll turn hostile eventually. Once you've used them to take the Prussian provinces you want, start looking to drop them as an ally in favor of Muscovy. Then you can get going on Partitions. Austria will probably rival you at some point too, when they do be prepared to buddy up with France.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 20, 2015

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Obliterati posted:

Looks like the devs are resuming their MP Cossacks stream at 1500 CEST (as in, in 40 mins from this edit).

poor Groogy

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Watching the stream, at around 26 minutes it looks like Danzig can't be used to take the Western Focus decision any more.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
haven't checked into this thread in awhile, is there any word on new dlc yet? i need my fix

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

ImPureAwesome posted:

haven't checked into this thread in awhile, is there any word on new dlc yet? i need my fix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGWWB3OH3uQ

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Neat. Thanks. Have they talked how estates differ from vassals?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

ImPureAwesome posted:

Estates are basically province modifiers like trade companies. They have no autonomous existence.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

ImPureAwesome posted:

You can find the developer diaries about the new expansion on this helpful Paradox Plaza thread. Victory Cards one onwards are the ones about the features in The Cossacks and have the bulk of the information on what's changing.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

The maximum Liberty desire to pay tariffs needs to be removed in order to make tariff bonuses more relevant and encourage overlords to ride the line in terms of setting tariffs.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

PittTheElder posted:

Watching the stream, at around 26 minutes it looks like Danzig can't be used to take the Western Focus decision any more.

My medieval/Renaissance history isn't that in depth but I would never compare Danzig to cities like Prague or Vienna. Danzig is pretty much a guarantee for Poland. I wonder if Pdox could move it to Berlin.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

????????????

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Shayu posted:

????????????

Ottomans are probably rivals of Spain's rivals so they flipped friendly

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Pope State is a fun game if you haven't tried it, the Holy Trinity achievement is a lot more feasible recently since Livonian Order is really scrappy and decently likely to not get annexed.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Lol that the Persian Ideas have one that is basically "Gotta start making rugs again!"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Pellisworth posted:

Pope State is a fun game if you haven't tried it, the Holy Trinity achievement is a lot more feasible recently since Livonian Order is really scrappy and decently likely to not get annexed.

I forget, is the Teutonic Order re-formable after Poland inevitably flattens them?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

As long as their cores don't expire, yes.

Also, while we all (correctly) love to poo poo on the Paradox forums, sometimes they produce real gems. I give you the Historicity Problem

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I forget, is the Teutonic Order re-formable after Poland inevitably flattens them?

Yup they're not really an issue.

TO is Prussian dominant culture and starts with mostly Prussian provinces so the cores stick around long after Poland annexes them and you can release them from conquered cores.
LO is Prussian culture with NO Prussian provinces so if they get annexed you're hosed. Since CS they're a lot tougher and less likely to get steamrolled early.
Knights similarly have no dominant-culture provinces but are less of a worry than LO. They're close and easy to vassalize, and if Rhodes gets conquered there is an event to respawn them in Malta which the AI usually (always?) takes.

I think the easiest way to grab TO and LO is to get in a war with Poland (probably by declaring on an ally as they're far away) and taking one or two TO cores. Release them and now you're very close to LO for purposes of calculating diplo-vassalization.

It's 1600 in my game and I own 95% of Italy and France, the eastern (Catalan) coast of Iberia, western Balkans, and have all three orders as Marches. They're super strong and OH I ALMOST FORGOT: Excommunication is really baller. Excommunicate France right at the start, it's a really nasty penalty.

Edit: oh and you get up to +10% Discipline from NIs and permanent modifiers, for giggles I took Quality as my first military idea and it's been fantastic. I think if you have the cash to fund a bunch of mercs and forts, Quality is amazing as you just maul fools.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 21, 2015

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pellisworth posted:

Knights similarly have no dominant-culture provinces but are less of a worry than LO. They're close and easy to vassalize, and if Rhodes gets conquered there is an event to respawn them in Malta which the AI usually (always?) takes.

I noticed the AI doesn't always take it but The Knights always get a free core on it.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

I noticed the AI doesn't always take it but The Knights always get a free core on it.

Still don't think you could release them since Malta is Maltese and Knights are Occitan.

Of course, as da Pope you shouldn't have much trouble just taking Malta yourself if the Knights get annexed and accepting the decision yourself. LO is imo the biggest concern, but less so since CS.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm eating Muscovy but to expand beyond that I still have to take on the inter-allied network of Lithuania, Poland, Pommerania, and HRE Austria. I have scrub-tier allies Brunswick, Bohemia, and Hungary, and vassal Perm. With a couple more wars I'll have force limit >100 but even that isn't enough. Current idea groups are Innovative, Offensive, and Trade - what should I get next, Quantity or Humanist (to fix my religious unity; I'm reformed but have only a few reformed provinces)?

Also the Offensive+Innovative policy gives +10% siege ability (= 10% shorter sieges) and +1 leader siege. Yikes.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm eating Muscovy but to expand beyond that I still have to take on the inter-allied network of Lithuania, Poland, Pommerania, and HRE Austria. I have scrub-tier allies Brunswick, Bohemia, and Hungary, and vassal Perm. With a couple more wars I'll have force limit >100 but even that isn't enough. Current idea groups are Innovative, Offensive, and Trade - what should I get next, Quantity or Humanist (to fix my religious unity; I'm reformed but have only a few reformed provinces)?

You should get administrative or influence next. If you want a military idea set, grab Defensive or Quality. Sweden benefits more from a Prussia style super soldier approach than a Russian meatgrinder approach. The only worthwhile reason to grab quantity when you're not colonizing is if you are somehow morally opposed to mercenaries. You shouldn't be, mercenaries are great. If all your infantry is mercenaries, sure, it costs a bit more, but manpower ceases to be a problem. And money is trivially easy to generate absurd amounts of when you've reached the point of looking at a 4th idea set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

PittTheElder posted:

As long as their cores don't expire, yes.

Also, while we all (correctly) love to poo poo on the Paradox forums, sometimes they produce real gems. I give you the Historicity Problem

"When in fact, historically, bears never respected military access treaties." :allears:

• Locked thread