Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Nail Rat posted:

I'm fine with this philosophy. If we're going to have a cutthroat meritocracy, great. But when rich rear end in a top hat kids get handed a future bereft of work, responsibility, and worry, that's not a meritocracy.

On the upside, they are so out of touch with reality that they drop huge amounts on consumer spending which must help keep people employed at the Rolex and Bugatti factories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

See? I'm able to afford 10% of my tuition :smugdog:

Posted by a Korean family friend currently attending UT, living in a nice apartment downtown with all expenses paid for by a US military stepdad. I just don't get it.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Aliquid posted:

Posted by a Korean family friend currently attending UT, living in a nice apartment downtown with all expenses paid for by a US military stepdad. I just don't get it.

There's no place in America where you can pay for all of your living expenses in a "cheap apartment" on 30h/wk "barely above minimum wage", let alone with tuition, but I'm guessing this dumbass screed wasn't supposed to pass even the lightest scrutiny.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Radbot posted:

There's no place in America where you can pay for all of your living expenses in a "cheap apartment" on 30h/wk "barely above minimum wage", let alone with tuition, but I'm guessing this dumbass screed wasn't supposed to pass even the lightest scrutiny.

Even if that was true, wouldn't they want better? If you are bragging about your grades and how hard you work, why are you happy just barely scraping by?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Radbot posted:

You can come awfully close in the right part of the country, to the point that I'd say it's probably doable on a short term basis. You won't have any savings to deal with emergency expenses, which is what will eventually get you if you don't have a safety net in place (e.g. mommy and daddy.) That's probably why these things get so much traction, because people can go "yeah I lived like this too!'... for half a year between real jobs, or with handouts from their parents

But even then, once you add in tuition (and the fact that rents are often worse in college towns) this one falls apart.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Gabriel Pope posted:

You can come awfully close in the right part of the country, to the point that I'd say it's probably doable on a short term basis. You won't have any savings to deal with emergency expenses, which is what will eventually get you if you don't have a safety net in place (e.g. mommy and daddy.) That's probably why these things get so much traction, because people can go "yeah I lived like this too!'... for half a year between real jobs, or with handouts from their parents

But even then, once you add in tuition (and the fact that rents are often worse in college towns) this one falls apart.

I'm going to call foul and say 30hr/s a week at $7.25 ($870 pretax/month) isn't going to get you a cheap apartment (implies living by yourself), a car, food, clothing, and health insurance anywhere in the US. Not talking about savings or emergency expenses.

$200 in food, $100 in car, $100 for insurance, and $450 in rent. That leaves $20/month for everything else, and assumes you live in buttfuck nowhere, and I haven't even accounted for payroll taxes.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 19, 2015

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Radbot posted:

You can do this anywhere if you have a US military stepdad paying for your expenses! :v:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Radbot posted:

I'm going to call foul and say 30hr/s a week at $7.25 ($870 pretax/month) isn't going to get you a cheap apartment (implies living by yourself), a car, food, clothing, and health insurance anywhere in the US. Not talking about savings or emergency expenses.

$200 in food, $100 in car, $100 for insurance, and $450 in rent. That leaves $20/month for everything else, and assumes you live in buttfuck nowhere, and I haven't even accounted for payroll taxes.

Comes down to how you define "barely above minimum wage." Depending on your perspective I think you can reasonably call $9/hr barely above minimum wage, which is definitely not sustainable but could conceivably keep you afloat for a brief time if you didn't have much in major expenses e.g. car (either because your parents gave it to you, or because you put down money yourself during better times.)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Radbot posted:

You might not need a car, though, especially as a college student. Also, minimum wage is substantially over $7.25 in a number of states now.

Still, this is bullshit unless his parents at least paid for his books and tuition.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Aliquid posted:

I Haven't Had anything Handed To Me

Except For 90% Of My Tuition, The Fact That The Price Of My Labor Is Fixed At $7.25/hr Minimum, Etc.

"Even though I had good grades, got a massive scholarship, work 30+ hours a week making presumably everything I can, had money saved going in to college, I live well below the normal standards for the people in my country. I barely scrape by, and I think that this is a good thing. All the people who didn't get 90% scholarships? Who didn't have money saved for college? Who can't shoulder 30+ hr weeks simultaneous with schoolwork? Screw 'em, they must be lazy.

Must be a pretty chill major, def not an engineer or chemistry major or virtually any science if they can work that much and still hold a 3.8 gpa. I got a bachelors in a hard science with a 3.8 gpa overall and a good chunk of that was due to the fact that in my later semesters which required more and more effort I didn't/couldn't shoulder a near-full-time work load. I still worked as much as I could, of course.

Also lol fun fact I had a 100% tuition scholarship for most of those semesters and I still have loans for fees, cost of living, etc. Plus a couple semesters I had to pay anyhow because my scholarship would only cover so many credits/yr.

gently caress I worked just as much or harder than this buttwipe and it never occurred to me that everyone worse off than me is a lazy slug

Uncle Enzo fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 19, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

6,346 sqft for only $25m seems like a really good deal in manhattan. It's in a lovely office-filled area I guess but still - say what you want about the waltons, they get good prices.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Nail Rat posted:

You might not need a car, though, especially as a college student. Also, minimum wage is substantially over $7.25 in a number of states now.

Still, this is bullshit unless his parents at least paid for his books and tuition.

Looks like he's claiming that 2 scholarships cover 90% of tuition (and books?)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Graduating debt free can be penny-wise and pound foolish. For people in most fields (STEM and business, for sure) the student who is working near full-time outside of school is probably not getting the better grades, networking, and internship opportunities that a student who is taking loans is getting.

For me, quitting my part time job and taking out loans made me a more competitive student for the prestigious internships and jobs. Good grades led to some grants and scholarships.
Some people are probably smart/disciplined enough to both work and be a full time student, but I wasn't so I took out loans and focused on the school part. I ended up with a high paying summer internship before graduation, which turned into a full time job in the state I wanted to live in and on the high end of salary offers for my class.

So if $10k of subsidized student loans at 3.4% is the thing keeping someone from being a mediocre student or a high performer, you'd be stupid not to take the loan.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
At the grocery store the other day there was a great sale - 10lbs of potatoes for $0.99! Right next to the 10lb bags, there were cleaned and plastic wrapped "microwaveable" potatoes - 1 for $0.99.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

If you're working 30 hours a week, have 90% of your tuition paid for, and can't afford a meal out every once and a while, maybe you should be pissed off at someone other than those that are advocating for more resources for public education. Not to mention that, as other posters mentioned, working 30 hours while trying to get a degree in a technical field is a recipe for 2-month burnout

Also no :rolleyes: big enough for the idea that being in debt is necessarily the result of bad decisions, and that working your "@$$" off to barely be able to afford a cheap apartment and come out of college with no savings is "how it's supposed to be." Wonder what job they have lined up for after graduation

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

baquerd posted:

At the grocery store the other day there was a great sale - 10lbs of potatoes for $0.99! Right next to the 10lb bags, there were cleaned and plastic wrapped "microwaveable" potatoes - 1 for $0.99.

Good with money if you have no storage and don't want to haul 10lbs of potatoes home on the bus. :)

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Call this a humblebrag or whatever but I've been noticing this lately as my income has shot up.

It's just this creeping BWM decision making. I got a $35 haircut today because it was the shop I walked into and they had a spot available. I had bought a 4k TV on sale, then when I found out it was going to be 3 weeks to deliver I canceled the order and bought the same TV not on sale at Costco. I hooked our old TV up in the bedroom, listened to the stock speakers for 5 minutes, and ended up buying a soundbar.

I guess I can see how Subjunctive ended up in his position. I used to be extremely frugal and my wife still is for the most part (shops at the 99 Cent store in her BMW) but the money definitely changes how you think.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Comrade Flynn posted:

Call this a humblebrag or whatever but I've been noticing this lately as my income has shot up.

It's just this creeping BWM decision making. I got a $35 haircut today because it was the shop I walked into and they had a spot available. I had bought a 4k TV on sale, then when I found out it was going to be 3 weeks to deliver I canceled the order and bought the same TV not on sale at Costco. I hooked our old TV up in the bedroom, listened to the stock speakers for 5 minutes, and ended up buying a soundbar.

I guess I can see how Subjunctive ended up in his position. I used to be extremely frugal and my wife still is for the most part (shops at the 99 Cent store in her BMW) but the money definitely changes how you think.

Yep, soundbars are bad with money, because you'll need to upgrade to a real 5.1 system eventually.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

BarbarianElephant posted:

Good with money if you have no storage and don't want to haul 10lbs of potatoes home on the bus. :)

The times I walk to the grocery store are always the times when they have get one free deals on giant bags of onions and potatoes. Good with money and muscles.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

detectivemonkey posted:

The times I walk to the grocery store are always the times when they have get one free deals on giant bags of onions and potatoes. Good with money and muscles.

Most times the offer seems to apply to one of the item in question, oddly enough. So 2 for $5 works out as 1 for $2.50. Good if you are not planning to make a gallon of soup.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

BarbarianElephant posted:

Most times the offer seems to apply to one of the item in question, oddly enough. So 2 for $5 works out as 1 for $2.50. Good if you are not planning to make a gallon of soup.

Oh yeah it is peak BWM to my realize that when something is 4 for $5 you don't actually need to buy 4. But buy one get one doesn't work, and you can sauté onions with celery and carrots and freeze it in portions for extra-fast soup.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

The Mandingo posted:

Yep, soundbars are bad with money, because you'll need to upgrade to a real 5.1 system eventually.

I have one downstairs. If I put a 5.1 system in my bedroom please shoot me in the head.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

detectivemonkey posted:

Oh yeah it is peak BWM to my realize that when something is 4 for $5 you don't actually need to buy 4. But buy one get one doesn't work, and you can sauté onions with celery and carrots and freeze it in portions for extra-fast soup.

This is totally country-dependent by the way. In the UK you need to buy 4, or you're not getting the deal. In North America (certainly Canada, and everywhere I've travelled in the US) you only need to buy one.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Comrade Flynn posted:

It's just this creeping BWM decision making. I got a $35 haircut today because it was the shop I walked into and they had a spot available.

I can't fault anyone for paying extra for a good haircut. Maybe it's because I'm a broken husk of a human being, but it's amazing how much a good or bad haircut can affect my self-esteem for the weeks following it. I've never really gotten consistent good haircuts, but the people I absolutely get consistent bad haircuts from are those old white guys with old-timey barber shops who charge $10-$13. I've often gone to them because they were cheap, convincing myself it'll probably be an okay cut, but hating myself after many times. I have friends who swear by such barbers, but they just don't seem to know what to do with my asian hair. Paying for a bad haircut, no matter how cheap, feels crummy. On the other hand, if I get a good cut, and it costs $25-$30, I don't even notice the money.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

$30 or so for a good haircut really doesn't seem that unreasonable to me at all, at least in an expensive city. That's basically what anything better than Supercuts will run you around here, and there are fortunately several good modern men's barbershops around in the $25-35 range.

Edit: this reminds me I need a haircut.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Guinness posted:

$30 or so for a good haircut really doesn't seem that unreasonable to me at all, at least in an expensive city. That's basically what anything better than Supercuts will run you around here, and there are fortunately several good modern men's barbershops around in the $25-35 range.

Edit: this reminds me I need a haircut.

Yeah, it really isn't. In the Midwest, at least, there's tons of those hole-in-the-wall barbershops with world war 2 aged barbers who cut for cheap though, making anywhere else seem expensive by comparison.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

kidhash posted:

This is totally country-dependent by the way. In the UK you need to buy 4, or you're not getting the deal. In North America (certainly Canada, and everywhere I've travelled in the US) you only need to buy one.

Sometimes you do need to buy all 4, but it'll usually be marked if you check.

Usually I'll just buy 4 anyway and stock up so I don't have to worry about it for a few months.

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

I can't fault anyone for paying extra for a good haircut. Maybe it's because I'm a broken husk of a human being, but it's amazing how much a good or bad haircut can affect my self-esteem for the weeks following it. I've never really gotten consistent good haircuts, but the people I absolutely get consistent bad haircuts from are those old white guys with old-timey barber shops who charge $10-$13. I've often gone to them because they were cheap, convincing myself it'll probably be an okay cut, but hating myself after many times. I have friends who swear by such barbers, but they just don't seem to know what to do with my asian hair. Paying for a bad haircut, no matter how cheap, feels crummy. On the other hand, if I get a good cut, and it costs $25-$30, I don't even notice the money.

I usually pay $15ish for a haircut + tip. I got a super curly jewfro so those old-timey barber shops who charge $10 absolutely ruin my hair because they don't know what the gently caress to do with it and it comes out awful.

If you don't mind the smell of hair dye, turns out a lot of beauty salons offer cheap men's haircuts compared to women, I guess because they think it's "easier" or want to attract male clients. I usually go to those places under the assumption that they're more experienced with my kind of hair, and they generally do a much better job for the same price as a barber. It also lets me get my hair cut with my mother and have a nice mother-son bonding moment, up until the point that we have to pay and I get to rub in her face that my haircut was half the price of hers but twice as much work.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
There's a world of difference between how a good and bad haircut makes me feel about myself; it's worth the 20 bucks to get a good haircut.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
BWM is not getting a Groupon for laser hair removal and doing your whole scalp.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Male pattern baldness is GWM I guess.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
GWM is also getting a men's cut if you're a woman. I save at least $10.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

detectivemonkey posted:

GWM is also getting a men's cut if you're a woman. I save at least $10.

I didn't know you could do this! I always keep my hair short but pay as much as a women's cut :(

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

BWM is my mom who pays for a women's haircut (even though it's short) plus dye job every 6 weeks for the last 30 years. Seriously I've never seen the woman's roots. It's around $100 a pop, so at least $25,000? for us all to think she's been a natural brunette this whole time.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

I didn't know you could do this! I always keep my hair short but pay as much as a women's cut :(

It's partly that my hairdresser likes me, but I would probably say something if my appointment was about 15 minutes and I was paying for the women's cut.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

The car is the part that doesn't pass the smell test. I mean, I did that in the 90's - worked a minimum wage job and covered rent and part-time tuition. But I didn't have a car. At 21 years old you are still getting bent over a barrel for insurance, even if it's just liability (since he specifically says no 'new' car). No amount of 'good student' and driver's ed discounts are going to change that.

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

My wife spends $70 for a haircut. Then she started taking our preteen children to get $70 haircuts. gently caress me. We managed to compromise and her longtime hairdresser comes to our house and cuts everyone's hair for $40 each.

It's a trade off. But at least it's a drat fine haircut.

Shadowhand00 posted:

She's getting a haircut every few months though, no?

She likes to keep it short. So every month probably. Everyone else keeps it at 6 to 8 week intervals.

It's expensive. It's terrible with money. I prefer her with long hair. You pick your battles. I lost that one a long time ago.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 20, 2015

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Krispy Kareem posted:

The car is the part that doesn't pass the smell test. I mean, I did that in the 90's - worked a minimum wage job and covered rent and part-time tuition. But I didn't have a car. At 21 years old you are still getting bent over a barrel for insurance, even if it's just liability (since he specifically says no 'new' car). No amount of 'good student' and driver's ed discounts are going to change that.

My wife spends $70 for a haircut. Then she started taking our preteen children to get $70 haircuts. gently caress me. We managed to compromise and her longtime hairdresser comes to our house and cuts everyone's hair for $40 each.

It's a trade off. But at least it's a drat fine haircut.

She's getting a haircut every few months though, no?

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Date a hair dresser - GWM

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Such as this black man in a related link provided by Outbrain. Thanks for the hard-hitting journalism, Outbrain:

"Kanye West posts two nearly-new songs on Soundcloud"

Gabriel Pope posted:

You can come awfully close in the right part of the country, to the point that I'd say it's probably doable on a short term basis. You won't have any savings to deal with emergency expenses, which is what will eventually get you if you don't have a safety net in place (e.g. mommy and daddy.)
That's why I've always hated the stupid parable about the businessman and the fisherman regarding financial freedom and life satisfaction. It's a wafer thin lesson on being content with what you have and not sacrificing a life fully lived now to try and get that same life later... except that the fisherman (presumably) has no safety net in terms of insurance in case he or someone in his family is sick or injured or his boat springs a leak during a hurricane.

He's technically living paycheck to paycheck, and yet this story is told over and over by people who generally give advice to save for a rainy day so that you don't have to live paycheck to paycheck and so you can weather a bad storm (literally or figuratively). They're missing their own point.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Comrade Flynn posted:

Sure, the marginal utility of $200 is much lower for you or me than for a starving undergrad. So we're giving up much less in terms of utility to get the TV a few weeks early or not connect on a flight or whatever than someone else might be if they gave up the same amount of money. $200 to them is a new winter coat and boots that otherwise they don't get, but you and I already have that essential stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
The cheapest hair cut for men in Norway is about $60. A hair trimmer at our version of Walmart is under $30. I could buy a new hair trimmer for every single haircut, have my wife cut my hair and still come out ahead. (Cost of wife not included in calculations).

• Locked thread