Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Barry posted:

Totally. Spill it girl, spill it

I'll save him the trouble; it's all in my post history anyway.

• I separated from my wife of 15 years earlier this year. It's not as dramatic as you might hope (we've taken trips together with the kid since, are seeing each other's families at Christmas, etc.). It was and is pretty rough though, so I'll admit weakness on that front.
  • I was hospitalized for depression last year, and under the supervision of doctors at Stanford Medical had a treatment that involved magnets. If you want to look up the clinical trials and so forth the PubMed search terms are "repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation". It helped, but sadly it was worse with money than my adoring fan implied: it was tens of thousands of dollars not covered by insurance. If I get depressed again and have reason to believe that it will help again, I will write those checks again without hesitation.
  • After moving into my new place and filling half of the living room with ~50 amazon and moving boxes of varying sizes, I filled the building's recycling bin once, did the math, and paid someone more than $50 (via TaskRabbit) to come and take them away in a pickup truck so I didn't have to deal with it. If I ever have to outfit a new apartment from scratch and end up with that much packing material, I'll probably do it again.
  • I also admitted, shamefully, to using a grocery delivery service to have groceries brought to my place instead of going out to get them myself because my kid was asleep and I didn't want to leave her alone in a still-unfamiliar place. I'm still not thrilled about the idea of her waking up and being surprised that I'm not there, so I only leave her alone when she's awake and I can tell her I'm leaving for a few minutes. I'm worried about murder, more than rape.
  • I don't live in SF, but sadly my apartment costs more than $3K/mo.

I also bought an expensive car, don't contribute to a 401K, shop at farmer's markets, send my laundry out, and sometimes pay others to prepare meals for me. I haven't yet found anyone to buy the movie rights to my life, but I haven't given up hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Why would you not contribute to a 401k? At your income level in California your tax bracket must be murderous.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Cicero posted:

Why would you not contribute to a 401k? At your income level in California your tax bracket must be murderous.

Dude's a C-Level Executive at Facebook. He is obviously smarter than the rest of us. Facebook is a revolutionary company changing the paradigm don't ya know?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Because I don't intend to be in the US when it matures, and with penalties it doesn't really work out in my favor to do so. My marginal tax rate is "one for me, one for everyone else", so the tax savings themselves would be appealing if I was going to be in the US long term.

My employer has started matching, so I'll probably contribute this year if the post-penalty, hope-Canada-agrees numbers work out, but it won't net much.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

I'll save him the trouble; it's all in my post history anyway.

• I also admitted, shamefully, to using a grocery delivery service to have groceries brought to my place instead of going out to get them myself because my kid was asleep and I didn't want to leave her alone in a still-unfamiliar place. I'm still not thrilled about the idea of her waking up and being surprised that I'm not there, so I only leave her alone when she's awake and I can tell her I'm leaving for a few minutes. I'm worried about murder, more than rape.

Isn't grocery delivery free in most major cities these days?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Cicero posted:

Canadian citizens who are only temporary residents of the USA contributing to 401k's is bad with money. So is residents of Canada who plan to move to the USA in the future contributing to a TFSA. Asymmetric tax policies suck.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Switchback posted:

I spent $15k buying my own engagement ring. It's a pink argyle diamond so it's not big or impressive so I get no social recognition for it. <---- humblebrag

But let's bring back some bankruptcy horse chat! <----- lame attempt at justifying said humblebrag

vvvvvvv filler

Lol at worrying about the selling price, because if you're filing bankruptcy you can certainly afford the ~$12,000/year in upkeep.

Not owning a horse you can't afford is wearing sackcloth and ashes whilst whipping yourself.

Old thread but good chat about what happens to the horses in bankruptcy.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?196412-horses-and-bankruptcy

^^^^^^ a bad post

mods please make talking about your own actions probatable or exilable

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Sorry I am bad at posting on the internet. Thank you for contributing that to the thread.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Switchback posted:

Sorry I am bad at posting on the internet. Thank you for contributing that to the thread.

Don't feel bad, half his posts in this thread are bitching about others not posting stories while simultaneously bringing none to the table himself. The other half is crabbing about Zaurg. There was a nice story about budgies though :kiddo:

BWM is my neighbor. She didn't do routine PMs on her air conditioner so it pissed water into my house for a solid week and a half until I could figure out where it was coming from. So far the cost has been $1800 for drying/mold mitigation and $7000 for rebuilding my house. Homes vaporize money so fast it's scary. Do Never Buy. Thank goodness for homeowner's insurance.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Switchback posted:

Isn't grocery delivery free in most major cities these days?

Even if it were free, I still wouldn't want to use it though.

How do these services work out with fresh fruits and vegetables? I know I'm constantly calling audibles when I go to the grocery store and I see that something I was planning to buy looks awful. I wouldn't trust someone putting those things in a box and me paying for it before I have a chance to see it.

I guess it would be BWM if you then threw the groceries out ahhh gently caress it who cares this thread is derail central anyway.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BloodBag posted:

Don't feel bad, half his posts in this thread are bitching about others not posting stories while simultaneously bringing none to the table himself. The other half is crabbing about Zaurg. There was a nice story about budgies though :kiddo:

BWM is my neighbor. She didn't do routine PMs on her air conditioner so it pissed water into my house for a solid week and a half until I could figure out where it was coming from. So far the cost has been $1800 for drying/mold mitigation and $7000 for rebuilding my house. Homes vaporize money so fast it's scary. Do Never Buy. Thank goodness for homeowner's insurance.

Whose homeowner's insurance? Yours or her's?

Poor homeowner chat, I walked outside on Monday to water on my sidewalk. Busted water main. Checking online I was looking at, on average - $800 to $1400. Final cost? $500. Yay for honest plumbers and my easy to reach leak in the middle of my yard.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BloodBag posted:

I put off servicing my air-con for nearly 3 years because I didn't feel like doing the work. It started dripping water, and the water ruined my wooden shelves. Had to throw them away because of the mold. And I still had to do the servicing.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Krispy Kareem posted:

Whose homeowner's insurance? Yours or her's?

Poor homeowner chat, I walked outside on Monday to water on my sidewalk. Busted water main. Checking online I was looking at, on average - $800 to $1400. Final cost? $500. Yay for honest plumbers and my easy to reach leak in the middle of my yard.

Hers. My insurance is pursuing her insurance for subrogation. Hopefully I'll get my deductible back.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Switchback posted:

I spent $15k buying my own engagement ring. It's a pink argyle diamond so it's not big or impressive so I get no social recognition for it.

But let's bring back some bankruptcy horse chat!

Lol at worrying about the selling price, because if you're filing bankruptcy you can certainly afford the ~$12,000/year in upkeep.

Not owning a horse you can't afford is wearing sackcloth and ashes whilst whipping yourself.

Old thread but good chat about what happens to the horses in bankruptcy.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?196412-horses-and-bankruptcy

So people with basic horses would literally be better off selling the the horse for leather, making a pair of shell cordovan shoes out of the butt, and selling those at full retail?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Turns out it wasn't a historic low, rates dropped like 2.5% between then and now. Hindsight 20/20 and all but taking a 5/1 ARM in 2005 was pretty GWM
Yeah, the ARMs didn't turn out to be problems, just the total amount.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Turns out it wasn't a historic low, rates dropped like 2.5% between then and now. Hindsight 20/20 and all but taking a 5/1 ARM in 2005 was pretty GWM

Turns out it was historic-ish, but the logic was sound. Once rates dropped sufficiently, I refinanced. ^^Exactly.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don't think "historic low" means "it will never be lower" but rather "it has never/rarely been lower so far".

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Renegret posted:

Even if it were free, I still wouldn't want to use it though.

How do these services work out with fresh fruits and vegetables? I know I'm constantly calling audibles when I go to the grocery store and I see that something I was planning to buy looks awful. I wouldn't trust someone putting those things in a box and me paying for it before I have a chance to see it.

In my neck of Australia you can get free delivery on groceries if it's over $100. I could see it being attractive if you're a stay-at-home parent (especially if you only have one car in your family) or work from home and are really lazy/don't have a car. You have to sign up for a 2-4 hour delivery window and be home to sign for it (makes sense considering potential spoilage issues) so it would otherwise probably be *less* convenient for a lot of people.

Had never even considered that aspect of it, although I buy far more vegetables than fruit so it wouldn't be as big an issue. I could see it being maddening for avocados.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

In places where I would physically carry my groceries home, I could see myself ordering canned foods and other heavy, bulky non-perishables online once every few months, but never for veggies. I already get candy delivered from Amazon Prime because they have everything.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Oh I so want to cheat and dirty up my diet with a big bag of Chewy Runts, but no one has them anymore. Since I'm a BFC regular, I can't bring myself to be BWM and pay whatever ridiculous sum any seller would put on them.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I would pay a lot for old runts, the kind that had lime in them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pompous Rhombus posted:

In my neck of Australia you can get free delivery on groceries if it's over $100. I could see it being attractive if you're a stay-at-home parent (especially if you only have one car in your family) or work from home and are really lazy/don't have a car. You have to sign up for a 2-4 hour delivery window and be home to sign for it (makes sense considering potential spoilage issues) so it would otherwise probably be *less* convenient for a lot of people.

Had never even considered that aspect of it, although I buy far more vegetables than fruit so it wouldn't be as big an issue. I could see it being maddening for avocados.

In my experience these services are super picky about produce, because they know people are skeptical about that. I think most will do refunds sight-unseen if the produce isn't up to your standards. I've had texts telling me that they didn't have any $whatever that was up to scratch, did I still want it? Once with a photo even!

I've never had a problem with it, though I don't order a huge amount of produce. The 2-hour window I don't find to be a problem, since I'm usually home 6-8pm or 8pm-10pm or similar.

I'll have to try avocados next time and see how it goes!

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

BloodBag posted:

Living anywhere with humidity is BWM. I never understood why I'd always hear about mold, mildew, and rust problems until I moved out of Colorado. Those things don't exist here. Also, you never get sweaty, which is good with life and body odor. Humid climates also tend to have all of the horrific bugs and require expensive air conditioning.

Denver rental and home prices are distinctly BWM, however...

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

fits my needs posted:

Dude's a C-Level Executive at Facebook. He is obviously smarter than the rest of us. Facebook is a revolutionary company changing the paradigm don't ya know?

The funniest part of your weird obsession with subjunctive is even with the cross referenced database you're keeping on him you can't get his job right despite it being a googleable fact.

tomatoes and shit
Sep 17, 2015

BossRighteous posted:

Weird, I am reading it as the complete opposite of that. Plus it's weird to bump a month and a half old comment.

You misread my response.

I'm saying Jeff went into OS type work since web dev/digital media is full of business school underachievers and creative writing majors

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

pr0zac posted:

The funniest part of your weird obsession with subjunctive is even with the cross referenced database you're keeping on him you can't get his job right despite it being a googleable fact.

There's some weird poo poo going on in this thread. Why do people know so much about this person?

I wonder if I have my very own SA stalker.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Comrade Flynn posted:

There's some weird poo poo going on in this thread. Why do people know so much about this person?

I'll make the website

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Comrade Flynn posted:

I chatted in chat threads, and I guess fitsmyneeds kept meticulous notes. pr0zac works with me, so he's excused.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
http://richkidsofinstagram.tumblr.com/

Eat the rich. Especially their adult children.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

BloodBag posted:

How Bad With Money is joining the Air Force reserves when it looks like the company you're working for is starting to go down the shitter? How soon after going to basic do you start getting paid?
Probably pretty bad since you're most likely taking a pay cut. Everyone in the military gets paid on the 15th and 1st of every month so whenever you hit one of those days in basic is when you'd get paid.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

In my experience these services are super picky about produce, because they know people are skeptical about that. I think most will do refunds sight-unseen if the produce isn't up to your standards. I've had texts telling me that they didn't have any $whatever that was up to scratch, did I still want it? Once with a photo even!

I've never had a problem with it, though I don't order a huge amount of produce. The 2-hour window I don't find to be a problem, since I'm usually home 6-8pm or 8pm-10pm or similar.

I'll have to try avocados next time and see how it goes!

Yeah, I figure they would, and you can probably peep it real quick and refuse it at the door.

My thing with avocados would be them not knowing the consistency to go for; when I'm buying them at the store I'll look for a certain firmness based on how soon I want to use it. Of course, you can slow the ripening way down by putting them in the fridge, or speed it up by putting them in a brown paper bag, but it'd still seem rife with the possibility of them inconveniently not being able to read my mind :v:

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

My colleague just went out for lunch and bought a $38 salad.

To be fair, it looks like a really good salad.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

canyoneer posted:

http://richkidsofinstagram.tumblr.com/

Eat the rich. Especially their adult children.

Many rich people may be heartless capitalist bastards, and for those that ruthlessly manipulated others and clawed their way to the top, worked incredibly hard and were extremely clever, or those who otherwise got lucky at the right time, let them have their reward. Their kids can suck a bag of syphilis-ridden dicks though. Estate tax should be much firmer to avoid these sort of poo poo stains on society.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Switchback posted:

Well? What was in it?

...Did it come with a complimentary blowjob?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Switchback posted:

You're in Singapore, right? What's market rate for a salad?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

baquerd posted:

Many rich people may be heartless capitalist bastards, and for those that ruthlessly manipulated others and clawed their way to the top, worked incredibly hard and were extremely clever, or those who otherwise got lucky at the right time, let them have their reward. Their kids can suck a bag of syphilis-ridden dicks though. Estate tax should be much firmer to avoid these sort of poo poo stains on society.

I'm fine with this philosophy. If we're going to have a cutthroat meritocracy, great. But when rich rear end in a top hat kids get handed a future bereft of work, responsibility, and worry, that's not a meritocracy.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Isn't that how it's always been, though?

I'm all for people giving their kids a jump start in life, but ostentatious assholes should get some sort of penalty. Make America a huge "should they inherit it" reality show

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Not a Children posted:

Isn't that how it's always been, though?

Yes, but it's getting worse.

quote:

I'm all for people giving their kids a jump start in life

Well, if they are going to do that, they shouldn't be allowed to claim that poor people just need to work harder or have better ideas, because apparently the real answer is that they should be born to the right person.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 19, 2015

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Please think of the rich people. Their lives are difficult just like black people.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/oct/17/wealth-therapy-tackles-woes-of-the-rich-its-really-isolating-to-have-lots-of-money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

I'm pretty sure that's snide critique on the part of the Guardian. They do this sometimes

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/sep/07/crewing-on-superyachts-wealth-careers

• Locked thread