Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
How come only one team is on bye this week?:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Chichevache posted:

How come only one team is on bye this week?:confused:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

The Pats and??????

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Chichevache posted:

The Pats and??????

Titans

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Holy poo poo, we joke about the Titans being the most forgettable team but it's even funnier to see it proven like this.

:edit: Did I just get chiche-reaped?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Chichevache posted:

The Pats and??????

The jimmy garoppolo lead pats and the t*m br*dy lead pats are both on bye

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
For a sec I thought that Metapod had forgotten the Titans, which would be truly incredible

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Bye weeks this early are stupid. I understood it when they had that awkward part in between the Browns and Texans expansions, but it seems like this is just giving a decent sized disadvantage for no reason.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

swickles posted:

■■■■■■

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?!?

Metapod posted:

The jimmy garoppolo lead pats and the t*m br*dy lead pats are both on bye

Oh. That's a whole lot of handsome the NFL is missing this week. :allears:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
oops! wrong thread

ShaneMacGowansTeeth fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Oct 6, 2015

b2n
Dec 29, 2005
Is there a site out there that lists substitutions in the PlayByPlay?
Pro-football-reference.com lists the starting units, but not any substitutions during the game

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

b2n posted:

Is there a site out there that lists substitutions in the PlayByPlay?
Pro-football-reference.com lists the starting units, but not any substitutions during the game

Are you looking for actual individual play lineups, or just how often players are on the field? Snaps per game are tracked, but I believe it is harder to get quick feedback on a per-play basis.

b2n
Dec 29, 2005

Badfinger posted:

Are you looking for actual individual play lineups, or just how often players are on the field? Snaps per game are tracked, but I believe it is harder to get quick feedback on a per-play basis.

Yeah I'm looking for individual play lineups. In basketball and hockey it's tracked (either through PbP or camera stuff) who's on the court at what time, but apparently not for football - or, at least, not publicly?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

b2n posted:

Yeah I'm looking for individual play lineups. In basketball and hockey it's tracked (either through PbP or camera stuff) who's on the court at what time, but apparently not for football - or, at least, not publicly?

I suspect that it's not recorded live because it happens so fast and so many players are moving in and out it's almost impossible to keep track of it in real time. Beyond that, the people who actually care will be watching film afterwards and can see for themselves who's in on each play.

They could assign a team of people to keep it all straight every game if there was sufficient demand for the information, but apparently there isn't.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
For the new PAT attempts, can the ball be placed anywhere between the hashmarks, or must it be kicked from one of the hashmarks (I assume the kicker can choose based on side dominance).

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

swickles posted:

For the new PAT attempts, can the ball be placed anywhere between the hashmarks, or must it be kicked from one of the hashmarks (I assume the kicker can choose based on side dominance).

I looked this up a while back and it's apparently up to the team kicking, they can place the ball anywhere between the hash-marks they want to. They can also choose on two point conversions.

e: Misread, but yeah they don't need to put it on a hash or in the center, they can do whatever.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Is there a study out on non contact injury trends? Seems like they are happening more and more these days.

Thanks Obama.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

In the last play of the Broncos-Raiders game, the Raiders tried to run a punt 99 yards back for a winning touchdown. My roommate says it would have been smarter to take a fair catch and then try to throw a Hail Mary touchdown. Is he right? What's the chance of a successful 99-yard punt return versus a 99-yard pass?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Chamale posted:

In the last play of the Broncos-Raiders game, the Raiders tried to run a punt 99 yards back for a winning touchdown. My roommate says it would have been smarter to take a fair catch and then try to throw a Hail Mary touchdown. Is he right? What's the chance of a successful 99-yard punt return versus a 99-yard pass?

Against the Denver defense? Stick with the punt.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chamale posted:

Punt return is what everyone would do in that situation at least. You start off with a broken field and don't need to complete a pass to have anything happen.

If they did fair catch it they wouldn't run a hail mary since no one can throw that far, they'd try to complete an intermediate pass and then try to do wacky laterals down the field.

e: Funny example of the second option here if you haven't seen it.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 12, 2015

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I knew what that link was before I even hovered over it. :mad:

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I bet if you looked at the numbers, there are more TDs on punt returns than Hail Mary attempts. Special teams situations are less predictable and more chaotic, which favors the offense in that kind of situation.

Also, if you have a good, fast return man, he can get up to top speed and blow by everyone which is something that you can't set up on a Hail Mary.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

If a receiver is in the air, does he count as defenseless?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
There isn't a ton of clarity in that area but basically yes, unless maybe he's caught the ball and has started to ball up on his way down or something like that.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

quote:

A defenseless player is one who because of his physical position and focus of concentration is especially vulnerable to injury. Examples of defenseless players are:
b. A receiver attempting to catch a forward pass;
or in position to receive a backward pass;
or one who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself;
or has not clearly become a ball carrier.

I've added a few carriage returns to clean that sentence up a little. "Attempting to catch a forward pass" includes someone who is e.g. running towards where the ball will drop and looking for it. An airbone receiver who goes to ground while trying to catch a pass remains defenseless until he gets up afterwards.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 12, 2015

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Bye weeks this early are stupid. I understood it when they had that awkward part in between the Browns and Texans expansions, but it seems like this is just giving a decent sized disadvantage for no reason.

I'm shocked they haven't added a second bye yet. Easiest way to make more TV money, plus they could get rid of Sunday-Thursday back-to-backs.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

The Little Kielbasa posted:

I'm shocked they haven't added a second bye yet. Easiest way to make more TV money, plus they could get rid of Sunday-Thursday back-to-backs.

They tried it in 1993 and haven't done it since.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Has any RB been flagged for dropping his head and leading with the crown of the helmet yet? They put in that rule recently and I saw Carlos Hyde do it last night

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Ross Angeles posted:

Has any RB been flagged for dropping his head and leading with the crown of the helmet yet? They put in that rule recently and I saw Carlos Hyde do it last night

DeMarco Murray against the Eagles last year

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

b2n posted:

Coming way back around on this question, this is what a detailed game summary/game book looks like. Every play and situation. On Page 18 they have a Playtime Percentage which is the number of snaps a player was on the field, but even this record does not track an entire unit on the field per play. You pretty much have to go to game film and document it yourself to get that.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Ross Angeles posted:

Do I have it right that this is NOT against the rules in college?

From the "approved ruling" section of the NCAA rulebook:

quote:

As ball carrier A20 sweeps around the end and heads upfield, he lowers his head and contacts defensive end B89 who is trying to tackle him. The players meet helmet to helmet.

RULING:
No foul. Neither A20 nor B89 is a defenseless player and neither has targeted his opponent in the sense of Rule 9-1-3

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's an nfl only rule

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Does a quarterback have any special protection if he is trying to stop a cornerback from advancing an interception?

If a quarterback fumbles while getting tackled behind the line of scrimmage, is it still considered a sack? If the running back fumbles while being tackled, is that considered a tackle on the defender's stats? What if the running back just gets it knocked out of his hands (assuming he clearly had possession) and he never actually goes down before the play is ruled dead?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SkunkDuster posted:

Does a quarterback have any special protection if he is trying to stop a cornerback from advancing an interception?

If a quarterback fumbles while getting tackled behind the line of scrimmage, is it still considered a sack? If the running back fumbles while being tackled, is that considered a tackle on the defender's stats? What if the running back just gets it knocked out of his hands (assuming he clearly had possession) and he never actually goes down before the play is ruled dead?

no
no
no
no

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

A quarterback is considered defenseless at any time after a change of possession, as is a kicker during the kick and any return. The rule is there to make it easier for guys with no backbone to eject players who go "awesome, an interception, I'm gonna go take a cheap shot on the QB now"; but if the QB (or kicker) goes full-speed towards the ballcarrier and is then hit by an opponent above the shoulders or using the opponent's helmet, that's a targeting foul. Block that QB shoulder to chest, that's okay because the QB has involved himself in the play.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Who should I go for? In the AFL (Australian sport) I go for Collingwood Magpies. A previously working class (now rich) area that everyone loves to hate, long history in the compeition and won a fair amount of premiership's. Is there an equivalent team?

Mostly enjoy the love to hate aspect. Lots of big games/grudge matches as a result.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Trin Tragula posted:

A quarterback is considered defenseless at any time after a change of possession, as is a kicker during the kick and any return. The rule is there to make it easier for guys with no backbone to eject players who go "awesome, an interception, I'm gonna go take a cheap shot on the QB now"; but if the QB (or kicker) goes full-speed towards the ballcarrier and is then hit by an opponent above the shoulders or using the opponent's helmet, that's a targeting foul. Block that QB shoulder to chest, that's okay because the QB has involved himself in the play.

Quarterbacks shouldn't be considered real football players anymore. There, I said it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

EvilElmo posted:

Who should I go for? In the AFL (Australian sport) I go for Collingwood Magpies. A previously working class (now rich) area that everyone loves to hate, long history in the compeition and won a fair amount of premiership's. Is there an equivalent team?

Mostly enjoy the love to hate aspect. Lots of big games/grudge matches as a result.

If I'm understanding this correctly you're a Steelers or Pats fan. Or an Alabama fan if you want to watch college ball.

Someone recently had a thread for this type of thing that has some discussion on various teams if you want to read it.

e: depending on how much you like the previously working class thing the Steelers logo is actually the same as US Steel (or at least used to be, I have no idea if they've changed), which once was the biggest thing in the world in Pittsburgh before the industry fell apart.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 20, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Grittybeard posted:

If I'm understanding this correctly you're a Steelers or Pats fan. Or an Alabama fan if you want to watch college ball.

Someone recently had a thread for this type of thing that has some discussion on various teams if you want to read it.

e: depending on how much you like the previously working class thing the Steelers logo is actually the same as US Steel (or at least used to be, I have no idea if they've changed), which once was the biggest thing in the world in Pittsburgh before the industry fell apart.

It's the Niners. Previously working class area that's now full of soft-handed tards. The team has a ridiculous history as well, like Collingwood. Plus the Santa Clara parking lot is gaining the same reputation for mindless violence that the Magpies have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Raiders would fit too.

Past success, used to be working class, and who doesn't love to hate the Raiders?

• Locked thread