Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So apparently with a speed potion you can jump from the horn platform to the entrance platform (where all the health spawns right before the horn) and run back to that ammo box that's underneath the horn. Just did that on Hard with pubbies and it was incredibly easy to deal with the horde, because 95% of them came through a single doorway, with the rest occasionally trickling in from the door that leads directly to the lift that you exit from. Clear a path to the horn with ranged weapons, have someone with a speed pot run to the horn, honk, and pop the speed pot to get enough momentum to jump back to the health platform, then retreat quickly.

A WH with pistols is basically god there. Infinite ammo, chokepoints with nothing but targets, and endless, endless rats. I can imagine a Wizard with a Conflagration staff would have fun, too. (I was using my Bolt staff and it was hellishly easy to rack up kills.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
So whats with every rear end in a top hat in existence kicking people that join their games?

How do I host so retards can't do this?

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Bloodplay it again posted:

Just got into a pretty good hard group and the game crashed ~3 minutes before the end of the level. :negative: I have now spent 3-4 hours trying to beat any level on hard. Carry me to victory, people idling in group chat.

This literally just happened to me, but I had already beaten it on hard.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Al Borland posted:

So whats with every rear end in a top hat in existence kicking people that join their games?

You can queue up and hope not to be automatched to someone, giving you host.

Or just play with goons, you madman.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Why is the repeater pistol so bad and why does the game keep punishing me by giving me them?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Al Borland posted:

Go to advanced settings (cog icon in map screen) and change to Always Host.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Why is the repeater pistol so bad and why does the game keep punishing me by giving me them?

I have a large collection of blue waywatcher swords in a world where two of the people I play this game with pretty much career her :v:

Minera fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 20, 2015

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

rezatahs posted:

I was all excited that I rolled and got an orange hat. Then I put it on my elf and my excitement faded rapidly.

But now you're Spiderman!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

FirstPersonShitter posted:

All I get are elf weapons so I finally gave in and tried her. She's actually pretty good. :shepface:

That said, goddamnit game, give me a sword/axe/hammer with a shield. Soldier or dwarf, I don't care at this point. :argh:

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
All I get are Waywatcher stuff, and occasionally Witch Hunter. I really like the elf, but I like Kruber too, I just have no good items for him except a mace/board that doesn't have anywhere near as satisfying a playstyle as the 2h mace he starts with.

*plinks away endlessly with trueflight arrows*

The Happy Hyperbole
Jan 27, 2009

What's he up to now? Hard to say since we're not telling him what to do.
I can't seem to get the hang of two-handed weapons. With the elf you can sort of stun-lock rats well enough to handle the swarms, a strong offense and careful movement let you survive pretty well. But when I slap a 2h sword in the hands of the soldier or the witch hunter all of a sudden I'm all assholes and elbows and I get torn to pieces. It seems like the shove doesn't do an awesome job keeping heat off of you, as half the time after I push one incoming skaven the one a millimeter behind it finishes closing and swats me anyways. Are there any tricks to doing it better, or is it a git gud kind of situation?

Also, is the soldier's chaingun any good? It looks sweet and I really want one, as I'm not 100% in love with any of his ranged weapons.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
as a gimli dorf my strategy with 2H weapons is to use quick attacks often and cleave into hordes of vermin. Block is pretty great if you need to buy some time or if you're fighting a rat ogre but the majority of your defense is going to be in killing targets before they kill you or keeping your distance/dodging.

So yeah it might just be a case of git gud but I might just be the outlier who likes 2h weapons.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
With two handers you have to time your charged swings swing just as you meet them and then back out or block. Unless you got a quick slash like the Two Handed Sword then you slash, slash, block. Slash, Slash, block.

My favorite is the two handed hammer, big wind up but big hit and you have to time it right to wade in, smash them all to death and then repeat. Two handers are all about the block.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

The Happy Hyperbole posted:

I can't seem to get the hang of two-handed weapons. With the elf you can sort of stun-lock rats well enough to handle the swarms, a strong offense and careful movement let you survive pretty well. But when I slap a 2h sword in the hands of the soldier or the witch hunter all of a sudden I'm all assholes and elbows and I get torn to pieces. It seems like the shove doesn't do an awesome job keeping heat off of you, as half the time after I push one incoming skaven the one a millimeter behind it finishes closing and swats me anyways. Are there any tricks to doing it better, or is it a git gud kind of situation?

Also, is the soldier's chaingun any good? It looks sweet and I really want one, as I'm not 100% in love with any of his ranged weapons.

Make sure you're dodging back and using sweeping attacks.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Are there only three levels right now?

E:

ALso shield blocking a rat ogre is extremely fun.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Al Borland posted:

Are there only three levels right now?

E:

ALso shield blocking a rat ogre is extremely fun.

3 for the hype beta, 13 on release

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Coolguye posted:

3 for the hype beta, 13 on release

Nice hope more pop up down the line too.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I haven't played any of the betas prior to this, just played a few runs when I got home from work. I tried out the Witch Hunter first, he seemed okay-ish. Then went Dwarf and while he feels a bit slow (appropriately), he's pretty good. I haven't tried any of the two handed weapons yet, but even the generic starter white axe and shield has been fine. Armor piercing on regular attacks, shield bash is pretty good as well as the block. I don't use the charged swipe much, but it's not awful. My first blue loot drop ever was a Handgun (i.e. rifle) with 30% ammo increase and 50% reload speed. That thing is laser accurate if you aren't moving. I've one shot assassins and ratling gunners with it off quick shots, and the reload speed bonus makes it reload faster than the crossbow. :getin:

All in all, a fun little game.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I hope they add an incentive for doing random maps. When full release hits I'd like to not run the same map over and over because it has favorable grims.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Metos posted:

I just did a Hard Horn 1grimoire where someone dropped the grimoire right at the end before the lift like an idiot but I still somehow rolled all successes and got this:

I'm loving stoked, but the fact that everyone keeps talking about a flaming sword that I've never managed to get makes me feeling like its just not good enough, because it could be on fire.

I got a flame sword last night (finally), but the lack of headshots is noticeable. I've been using the standard white bright wizard sword up until now - dodging into packs with a charged swing at head level and backing out. The flame swords don't have that headshot and It's pretty noticeable. The one you got is pretty drat good.

Beam staff primary is so nice, the alternate attack is ehh. It takes so long even with headshots to down specials compared to a headshot shot from anyone else. At least it stuns em, I guess?

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Uhg. rolled all successes on a nightmare run and got a red rarity drop but it was a helmet for my least used character :suicide:

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Fishstick posted:

I got a flame sword last night (finally), but the lack of headshots is noticeable. I've been using the standard white bright wizard sword up until now - dodging into packs with a charged swing at head level and backing out. The flame swords don't have that headshot and It's pretty noticeable. The one you got is pretty drat good.

Beam staff primary is so nice, the alternate attack is ehh. It takes so long even with headshots to down specials compared to a headshot shot from anyone else. At least it stuns em, I guess?
I literally got a white flame sword on my very next run, after rolling 0 successes. Looks cool, but yeah 0 chance of me using it vs that orange. I then ran 3 back to back successful Hards with 1 grimoire as we kept getting different pubbie elves who were all terrible, and managed to roll 1 success on every run. The Grimoire one. All is even in the world.

Staff chat: I have a -10%overcharge and 5% chance to split into 2 bolts Aqshy (Fireball) staff and I really can't imagine using any of the other staves yet, the basic attack guaranteeing two dead rats every time I click since it pierces is phenomenal, but just spamming fireballs like they're going out of style on top of the dwarf and Kruger when a patrol of Stormvermin or a horde is coming is just ridiculously good. The stagger from the fireballs makes them unable to attack and get cleaned up fast, its like a longer duration bomb where once its over I wade in to heal with my sword. Team member go down? Covering fire for days while you get him up!

On the downside, I was on the receiving end of the fireball barrage one time, and boy did I not realise how much bullshit it causes on the screen for the people in there. But I'm the brightwizard with my group so not my problem usually!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Have they patched out hiding beneath the Horn? I had a couple of pubbies heading there and running back to the stairs (and dying halfway there and killing the run and I'm not bitter at all).

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Demiurge4 posted:

I hope they add an incentive for doing random maps. When full release hits I'd like to not run the same map over and over because it has favorable grims.

Some kind of random daily or something should fix that.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Metos posted:

I literally got a white flame sword on my very next run, after rolling 0 successes. Looks cool, but yeah 0 chance of me using it vs that orange. I then ran 3 back to back successful Hards with 1 grimoire as we kept getting different pubbie elves who were all terrible, and managed to roll 1 success on every run. The Grimoire one. All is even in the world.

Staff chat: I have a -10%overcharge and 5% chance to split into 2 bolts Aqshy (Fireball) staff and I really can't imagine using any of the other staves yet, the basic attack guaranteeing two dead rats every time I click since it pierces is phenomenal, but just spamming fireballs like they're going out of style on top of the dwarf and Kruger when a patrol of Stormvermin or a horde is coming is just ridiculously good. The stagger from the fireballs makes them unable to attack and get cleaned up fast, its like a longer duration bomb where once its over I wade in to heal with my sword. Team member go down? Covering fire for days while you get him up!

On the downside, I was on the receiving end of the fireball barrage one time, and boy did I not realise how much bullshit it causes on the screen for the people in there. But I'm the brightwizard with my group so not my problem usually!

Wait a sec, the Aqshy staff is supposed to pierce? My exotic Aqshy hasnt pierced any enemies and seems to get stopped dead by even corpses.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Fat Samurai posted:

Have they patched out hiding beneath the Horn? I had a couple of pubbies heading there and running back to the stairs (and dying halfway there and killing the run and I'm not bitter at all).

Yes, there's cross beams there now to stop you going in. You can stand on the ledge just by the gap underneath the horn but it's a bad idea because they'll just stab you from below.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Awesome hard run going, last gate on the sewers down, two loot dice from a single sack-rat. Host crash. :argh:

Really hope they add in some sort of migration poo poo.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It feels like Soldier and Dwarf are best of friends forever. One takes a two hander, the other a shield and hand weapon, and together they just smash all the rats and ogres for eternity.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

BombiTheZombie posted:

Wait a sec, the Aqshy staff is supposed to pierce? My exotic Aqshy hasnt pierced any enemies and seems to get stopped dead by even corpses.
It happens 100% of the time for me so I assume its not my splitting into 2 bolts proc (which admittedly I've never seen actually do anything), but yeah if there's 2 skaven in a row it'll kill em both in a single shot, always. Its loving great, especially in chokepoints.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Night10194 posted:

It feels like Soldier and Dwarf are best of friends forever. One takes a two hander, the other a shield and hand weapon, and together they just smash all the rats and ogres for eternity.

Dwarf takes shield and goes in front, Soldier takes the Warhammer. Then they fuse to make Mega-zord, slayer of rats.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
I'd say the dwarf is a little better up front because the soldier can easily see over his head to time his swings.

Game's pretty fun, but I wish you had a much higher chance or even a guarantee for loot for the class you're playing. It's already kind of annoying if you're running with a group of friends but it'll get even more annoying if they add in DLC classes. The loot table can only get worse!

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Whats odd is that rolling the bones doesnt do anything. Its all smoke and mirrors like the payday 2 cards. If you havent got an exotic yet you get the achievement for getting one as soon as the mission ends instead of when the dice have been rolled.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

BombiTheZombie posted:

Whats odd is that rolling the bones doesnt do anything. Its all smoke and mirrors like the payday 2 cards. If you havent got an exotic yet you get the achievement for getting one as soon as the mission ends instead of when the dice have been rolled.

The dice are pre-rolled before you press the button, yeah. But I don't think they're not used mechanically.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

BombiTheZombie posted:

Son of a bitch! Although it does make complete sense as there was a time immediately after rolling where the host DC'd before I'd even looked at a new item's modifiers and I was worried about losing it, so seems a reasonable way to make sure we always keep something.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah that's pretty standard to be honest.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Al Borland posted:

Some kind of random daily or something should fix that.
This is a super-good idea and you should non-ironically suggest it via whatever forum the devs are watching.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.
Than I've not lost any of the loot rolls when host got DCd right after completion? :comeback:

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Pierson posted:

This is a super-good idea and you should non-ironically suggest it via whatever forum the devs are watching.

Oh I was sincere. I think they should do what Diablo 3 did with map bounties n poo poo.
Maybe on a smaller scale but for sure.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Bonus loot if you manage to complete a 3-stage Chapter, with a retry option so a single death doesn't negate the entire run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Checkpoints would be good. Maybe take away a dice per failure.

• Locked thread