Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Just once before my death I'd like to see this forum just say "that cartoon space robot bird is played by a guy who is a Republican. I disagree with him there, but he's a fine space bird" and be done with it.

I only brought up his politics because he is playing Sam Wilson, who RWM are currently making GBS threads themselves over because they say Marvel is pushing a Liberal agenda with him. I thought that it was funny that within a day of that story breaking, he seemed to have come out in favor of Trump in an interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

ToastyPotato posted:

I only brought up his politics because he is playing Sam Wilson, who RWM are currently making GBS threads themselves over because they say Marvel is pushing a Liberal agenda with him. I thought that it was funny that within a day of that story breaking, he seemed to have come out in favor of Trump in an interview.
Well, the book being complained about was written by guy who's run for office as a Republican and ranted about how black people moving in was ruining his business

naughty_penguin
Oct 9, 2005
Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Just once before my death I'd like to see this forum just say "that cartoon space robot bird is played by a guy who is a Republican. I disagree with him there, but he's a fine space bird" and be done with it.

Mods please change every post in D&D to this.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Threep posted:

Well, the book being complained about was written by guy who's run for office as a Republican and ranted about how black people moving in was ruining his business

Are you sure you aren't thinking of a different Nick Spencer? All my googling suggests the Nick Spencer that writes for Marvel isn't the same Nick Spencer that was on the Cincinnati city council.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

DrProsek posted:

Are you sure you aren't thinking of a different Nick Spencer? All my googling suggests the Nick Spencer that writes for Marvel isn't the same Nick Spencer that was on the Cincinnati city council.
It's him

edit: He doesn't seem to be a Republican anymore but he did write an infamously terrible anti-Wikileaks story for Marvel

Threep fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 20, 2015

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's like the Matt Walsh thing but without a happy ending

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I stand corrected and need to learn better googling :stare:.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah talking about him is no problem, it's the odd compulsion to rehab anyone goons like from culture that don't toe the d&d line.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah talking about him is no problem, it's the odd compulsion to rehab anyone goons like from culture that don't toe the d&d line.

Chillax, broski. No one was trying to "reform" him. If Mark Ruffalo made a public statement that he endorsed Hillary because she was a quiet and demure housewife, we'd probably have the same desire to tell him why he was wrong.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Intel&Sebastian posted:

We call that sort of derail "The Mike Nelson", or sometimes "The Mike Rowe".

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

KomradeX posted:

I thought it's always been clear that Cap was a not racist New Dealer. Who actually believed in the ideals of America and that everyone should have a fair shot at them, to the point that after Watergate he gave up being Captain America cause Nixon disgraced the White House. He got over it eventually. Wasn't there a time he also took Reagan to task?

also nixon was running a shadow government and the story ends with nixon shooting himself in the head

marvel!

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

But what if flying bird man is a dumb character with bad lines and felt like the only reason he was added to the movie was in hopes of being a popular kids doll?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

zeroprime posted:

But what if flying bird man is a dumb character with bad lines and felt like the only reason he was added to the movie was in hopes of being a popular kids doll?

Then you say hasbro made you put him in, wait to see if he's actually popular, and if he takes off you claim his copyright via a crude design drawing you mailed to yourself on day one but did not open until you arrived in court.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

zeroprime posted:

does anyone actually want me to poo poo words about the falcon's importance as a superhero in and of himself and also the importance of his relationship with cap

fun fact the falcon was the first black superhero to not have black in his name

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Literally The Worst posted:

does anyone actually want me to poo poo words about the falcon's importance as a superhero in and of himself and also the importance of his relationship with cap

Film version kinda guts most of the things that made the oldentimes Falcon cool, though.

Oldentimes Falcon was a Harlem social worker who was fiery and outspoken about matters of justice, race and propriety, and wasn't afraid to clash vocally with Cap.

Movie Falcon is a mellow, dutiful soldier who immediately and without question defers to Cap.

They're not much alike. This version of the Falcon feels much more like a sidekick, rather than a partner.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 20, 2015

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I've read multiple quotes from Robert Downey Jr. that kind of imply that he leans that way, and I still think he's a great Iron Man. In fact, it basically completes the picture of him as Tony Stark IRL.

edit: Also Frasier Owns.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 20, 2015

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Second off for a while Captain America's book was even titled Captain America and the Falcon.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

also nixon was running a shadow government and the story ends with nixon shooting himself in the head

marvel!

Yeah. For years I kept hearing about how "Once Captain America quit because of how he felt Watergate disgraced his country" as an example of how comics give relevant commentary on topical events and never thought to question it because why would several independent comics geeks be wrong about comics? It was pretty weird later learning on that the Marvel version of Watergate was about how someone implied to be Nixon turned out to secretly be the leader of a long-standing terrorist organization founded by Hydra, and was in the process of staging a coup by threatening to nuke a bunch of American cities. Then shot himself in the head and became subject of a huge government coverup. And that was what made him give up his identity as Captain America (for four issues) out of shame.

I guess the missing 18 minutes were more eventful than I figured.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Crowder tears incoming

quote:

Washington (CNN)Donald Trump and Ben Carson now stand alone at the top of the Republican field, as Carly Fiorina's brief foray into the top tier of candidates seeking the GOP nomination for president appears to have ended, a new CNN/ORC poll finds.

Fiorina has lost 11 points in the last month, declining from 15% support and second place to 4% and a tie for seventh place.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/20/politics/poll-donald-trump-ben-carson-gop/index.html

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It's ok, CNN can prop her back up whenever the RNC needs.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

drat, i guess trump hurt her harder then i thought.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Looks like Martin O'Malley has some competition :swoon:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
National Review would like to explain to you how great employer paternalism toward employees is. Let's just get a taste:

quote:

The company town gets a bad rap. Tennessee Ernie Ford lamented that he owed his soul to the company store, and the abuses associated with company towns — artificially high rents on company housing, high prices at those company stores, the scrip system, effective debt bondage — are familiar features of folk economics.

The strange thing is that a great many workers liked — even loved — those company towns. Some of them were awful and exploitative, but many were at least partly philanthropic expressions of Progressive-era utopian idealism, “conscious capitalism” before its time. In the United Kingdom the Cadbury company, which was owned by a reformist Quaker family, founded Bourneville, a company town built with an eye toward helping Cadbury workers achieve a standard of living that they could not secure on their own, with high levels of municipal services, better public hygiene, tidy subsidized housing, recreational facilities, etc. — and no pubs. In the United States, the Pullman Company was famous/infamous for its company-town paternalism.

Many company towns were based on extractive businesses — oil, mining, timbering — and hence often were located in remote areas, which in turn created monopoly conditions for the companies that owned the towns. Monopolies are rarely good things, but keep in mind that the idea of a monopoly exercised in the public interest was a common feature of progressive thinking a century ago, as it is today. (Some people never learn.) To be sure, there was an ever-present element of self-interest on the part of employers, but there was also a belief, perhaps naïve, that this corporate-municipal paternalism could be part of a virtuous cycle — companies would invest in the well-being of their workers, those workers would be happier and more productive, the companies would grow more profitable and thus have more resources to invest in the happiness and moral uplift of their workers, and so on. You hear the same kind of arguments made today for mandatory-leave laws.

He keeps veering back and forth between rhapsodizing about how great it is when your boss tells you how to live and sneering at liberals who think the government should exist, and the article veers between infuriating and baffling.

E: A rebuttal.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 20, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Isn't that just a variant of "slavery wasn't so bad! They got fed and sang songs and stuff!"?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Pretty much. I wish there was some facility we could send these types of "slavery/company towns/unregulated work places were totally great guys" assholes to for a year where you live as a slave or a worker before unions. It would be like when Mancow got waterboarded after saying it was no big deal. You can leave anytime but you have to produce a written essay about exactly why you want to leave and are forbidden from dumb rear end libertarian poo poo for life.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So when do the union busting thugs show up with the National Guard to shoot the striking workers?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Monopolies are rarely good things, which is why dumb-dumb progressives supported them in 1900 and still support monopolies today because dumb progressives never learn. Now as I was saying, a company town with a monopoly on everything is great.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

VitalSigns posted:

Monopolies are rarely good things, which is why dumb-dumb progressives supported them in 1900 and still support monopolies today because dumb progressives never learn. Now as I was saying, a company town with a monopoly on everything is great.

And of course trustbusting was a huge feature of the progressive era, but who keeps track of such historical footnotes?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

quote:

In the United States, the Pullman Company was famous/infamous for its company-town paternalism.

Ah yes, their paternalism, that is what people think of when they think of Pullman Company's company town.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Killer robot posted:

Yeah. For years I kept hearing about how "Once Captain America quit because of how he felt Watergate disgraced his country" as an example of how comics give relevant commentary on topical events and never thought to question it because why would several independent comics geeks be wrong about comics? It was pretty weird later learning on that the Marvel version of Watergate was about how someone implied to be Nixon turned out to secretly be the leader of a long-standing terrorist organization founded by Hydra, and was in the process of staging a coup by threatening to nuke a bunch of American cities. Then shot himself in the head and became subject of a huge government coverup. And that was what made him give up his identity as Captain America (for four issues) out of shame.

I guess the missing 18 minutes were more eventful than I figured.

When the last issue, with the suicide, went to print the writer was asked a million times "it's not Nixon right? It can't be Nixon. I'm serious" and he kept going no no no

As soon as it went to print he went hey y'all it's Nixon

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Didn't Anthony Mackie come out and say it was a joke and he wasn't actually endorsing Trump

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

KomradeX posted:

Didn't Anthony Mackie come out and say it was a joke and he wasn't actually endorsing Trump

yep. "Sorry Donald, that wasn’t an endorsement. Just a bad attempt at a joke, I guess?"

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Sharkie posted:

yep. "Sorry Donald, that wasn’t an endorsement. Just a bad attempt at a joke, I guess?"

My guess is one of his people, Simpsons-style, walked up and whispered in his ear, then he backpedaled furiously.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

VitalSigns posted:

Yep that's what jumped out at me. I was trying to figure out how to put into words how dumb that was when I read your post. Dude claims monopolies are good things (albeit "rarely"), says they're bad and only dumb libs like them (loving what?), then goes on to say how they're good.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

Looks like Martin O'Malley has some competition :swoon:
Jesus. The only picture I'd seen of him before was the one where he had that ridiculous goatee. Dude looked like he should be yelling at me about red pages from the inside of a book.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Justin Trudeau is in the band Fozzy.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Nonsense posted:

Justin Trudeau is in the band Fozzy.

Getting a jump start preparing Canada for the Y2J problem.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
ahahahahaha

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Phone posted:

ahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

:negative: Why won't gamergate loving die.