Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Am I missing something about the weapons for the 2 shield users? Why are there single handed weapons with no shields - they just seem worse in every way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Mr Beens posted:

Am I missing something about the weapons for the 2 shield users? Why are there single handed weapons with no shields - they just seem worse in every way?

Style points

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
i'm not 100% sure but i think the charge attacks are different for certain weapons when you use them without shield as well

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
:negative: please stop, game

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Pitdragon posted:

i'm not 100% sure but i think the charge attacks are different for certain weapons when you use them without shield as well

Yeah they are different - in the comparison thing everything was just red (i.e. worse) for the no shield version - maybe the animations are different?

I'm having a hard time getting used to the 2 handed dorf hammer - the light attacks are all overhead slams and only hit one thing at a time, the heavy attacks are wide sweeps but are really slow and I end up getting swarmed either way.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Mr Beens posted:

Much faster attack, more powerful charge, stronger hits. They're actually pretty nice, the strong attacks in particular are really satisfying and they wreck Stormvermin. They're closer to the Rapier for the Witch Hunter than the Shield.

I'd definitely recommend giving them a go.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Mr Beens posted:

Yeah they are different - in the comparison thing everything was just red (i.e. worse) for the no shield version - maybe the animations are different?

I'm having a hard time getting used to the 2 handed dorf hammer - the light attacks are all overhead slams and only hit one thing at a time, the heavy attacks are wide sweeps but are really slow and I end up getting swarmed either way.

I think that single hand weapons have a wider swing than single handed + shield.

Regarding the hammer, you have to approach mobs in half swing and send the rats flying. If anything is still standing after the swing, block and dodge back.

Surprisingly, I'm getting the most satisfaction from the game by playing defense and being mostly untouched instead of being a murder machine.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

pro dwarf gears, with flat modifiers that I didn't think exist (the drakefire stats weren't rollable, just a flat number)

lewtt fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Oct 20, 2015

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
What hosed with me playing 2handers is that i didn't originally realize that sweeps are not the same as charged attacks. If you hold lmb for just a moment you get a sweep which combined with the hammer means rats flying everywhere.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Seeing all these orange items is making me very jealous.

Also I had a red helmet on my loot table once. Of course I didn't get it.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

The charge attack on the 2H hammer does pretty poor damage, which makes me prefer the 2H axe. It is a lot of fun to see rats go flying after the sweep though. But axe's light attack is way more satisfying so ends up evening out.

Dezztroy posted:

Seeing all these orange items is making me very jealous.

Level 31, mostly spend my time doing 1-2 grimoire hard mode Horn runs, and the only orange item I own is from crafting together 5 blues to make...a poison bow with faster movespeed while aiming, increased zoom distance, and some other garbage. Welp. Not that I would ever use a poison bow even if it had perfect modifiers.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Vargs posted:

The charge attack on the 2H hammer does pretty poor damage

That's because the Non-Charged attack is the big damage attack for the hammer. Just spam it to crush a single target like a Stormvermin, use the Charge to sweep the Vermin and that's it.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Vargs posted:

Level 31, mostly spend my time doing 1-2 grimoire hard mode Horn runs, and the only orange item I own is from crafting together 5 blues to make...a poison bow with faster movespeed while aiming, chance for increased attack speed on kill, and increased zoom distance. Welp. Not that I would ever use a poison bow even if it had perfect modifiers.

Don't use weapon types you don't like when fusing! Each slot is a 20% chance to get that type of item, so putting 3x Longbows and 2x Dual Daggers for example means a 60% chance to get a bow and 40% chance for daggers.

:ssh:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Illegal Username posted:

What hosed with me playing 2handers is that i didn't originally realize that sweeps are not the same as charged attacks. If you hold lmb for just a moment you get a sweep which combined with the hammer means rats flying everywhere.
Wait, what? There are just 2 kind of attacks with different animations, right?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Fans posted:

That's because the Non-Charged attack is the big damage attack for the hammer. Just spam it to crush a single target like a Stormvermin, use the Charge to sweep the Vermin and that's it.

The 2H axe also gets the super high damage, single target light attack though. It just has a heavy attack that hits fairly hard in addition to that, so I end up preferring it.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I find that the huge, almost shield level knockback on the greathammers more than makes up for their slightly lower damage than greataxes, especially on Nightmare where you just really don't want to risk taking hits.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
The damage progression on the Witch Hunter's axes is wrong. I have a green 1h axe that does more damage than my blue 1h axe. The rest of the stats are identical. The green axe has an inactive trait I can't remember, the blue one has extra pushback and double stamina activated.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Tiler Kiwi posted:

:negative: please stop, game

:shepface:

If only it had bloodlust instead of haste, it would literally be the perfect killing machine :negative:

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.

Donnerberg posted:

The damage progression on the Witch Hunter's axes is wrong. I have a green 1h axe that does more damage than my blue 1h axe. The rest of the stats are identical. The green axe has an inactive trait I can't remember, the blue one has extra pushback and double stamina activated.

Green one can be determinated as a "tank" equipment. This might be a reason of low damage.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Why is the repeater pistol so bad and why does the game keep punishing me by giving me them?

The repeater pistol is my favorite witch hunter weapon by a mile because despite all appearances it's extremely accurate. If you're quick at aiming for headshots you can delete entire crowds of skaven instantly with one click each and it reloads insanely fast, so it's basically like having a medieval glock. The secondary fire is also surprisingly accurate so you can use it to blow specials' heads off instantly at like 30 paces.

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:
This hat appears to be made from at least 1.5 entire human skeletons, by weight.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Managed to clear both horn and supply & demand with 3 tomes and two cursed dice (on normal), got two whites :effort:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

TacMan posted:

This hat appears to be made from at least 1.5 entire human skeletons, by weight.

All the extra hats are so ugly

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:
I think you mean AMAZING. The hat's hidden stat is +100 to jealousy from the rest of the party.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I think that hat looks pretty cool :shrug:

The two skull trinkets also go with the theme!

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I'm kind of surprised that they're not releasing a reskinned Warhammer Quest as a board game tie in.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Posting this because its dumb and i'm kind of laughing at myself.

My CPU fan had died so my CPU set its clock rate way down to try and deal with it. I've fixed the fan and set it back up and the game runs fine now. My bad, game is fun.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

dogstile posted:

My CPU fan had died so my CPU set its clock rate way down to try and deal with it. I've fixed the fan and set it back up and the game runs fine now. My bad, game is fun.

Did the rat corpses clog your fan?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Kegslayer posted:

I'm kind of surprised that they're not releasing a reskinned Warhammer Quest as a board game tie in.
Games Workshop never miss a chance to miss a chance.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Does licensing stuff like this make them much money? I can't see the tabletop game being all that profitable but they're always getting games published, quite a few of them good ones.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
I can confirm that the dice are pre-rolled, since I got the achievement for getting an Exotic piece of loot before I even loaded the dice-rolling screen. Then in that same results set I proceeded to roll 7 hits and got the Gamester achievement, so I'm not sure what the difference is there.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Fans posted:

Does licensing stuff like this make them much money? I can't see the tabletop game being all that profitable but they're always getting games published, quite a few of them good ones.

They count any video game revenue as accidental. They don't believe video games get people interested in their table top product which is where they make their money. They also don't believe in market research and that they set the market.

GW is dumb.

I hope they go bankrupt and sell the IP to someone competent.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

dogstile posted:

We all do it, friend. I once had a laptop that would automatically disable the high end graphics card if it was on battery (Alienware, yes I know, I was young) that had to be re-enabled in BIOS, so I spent a week unintentionally trying to overclock my integrated, lovely card so I could run MW3. Computers are dumb.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
There's already a warhammer quest ios game that's quite good

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Computers are dumb.

mlyp

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

TacMan posted:

Bone hat best hat.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Drythe posted:

They count any video game revenue as accidental. They don't believe video games get people interested in their table top product which is where they make their money. They also don't believe in market research and that they set the market.

GW is dumb.

I hope they go bankrupt and sell the IP to someone competent.

Example of GW being dumb: everyone like the setting and characters of Vermintide? Technically this setting no longer exists GW literally blew up the world of Warhammer and replaced it with fantasy gold faceless robot looking things that are the blandest poo poo possible

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

rezatahs posted:

Bone hat best hat.

It Warhammer, somewhere in the setting there is a group of dwarves trying to figure out how they can decorate a skull with other skulls

E. Can someone explain in more detail what happened to the setting? People are saying it blew up but I thought they just meant that GW wasn't supporting it anymore. They actually entirely redid Fantasy?

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Example of GW being dumb: everyone like the setting and characters of Vermintide? Technically this setting no longer exists GW literally blew up the world of Warhammer and replaced it with fantasy gold faceless robot looking things that are the blandest poo poo possible

A good friend of mine was telling me about this and he said pretty much the same thing, haha. That sounds really stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Pretty much.

And the back story of the new stuff is just cringe inducingly bad.

• Locked thread