Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Aliquid posted:

There's your problem. I only bet on things that I know won't (or will) happen, but that I want to come true. That way, either the universe bends itself to my will or I make some beer money.

That's exactly what I'm doing!

If trump is president I get to buy some beers
If NK detonates a nuke I get to buy some beers
If Biden doesn't ever run and we don't get blessed by diamond joe running the world, I get to buy some beers.

Everything will be alright no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Stereotype posted:

Everything will be alright no matter what.

We say this now, but when Biden announces his doomed candidacy eventually, we will all be panicking and cursing.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

if you mistype your cc number in the deposit field and try to submit it, then that number is stored in your browser cache until you clear it. :cmon:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

we're in the middle of another swing, boys.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
They dropped the IBD 18 poll for Bernie on RCP and Bernie dropped 80 points like instantaneously. So glad I sold those Chafee NO shares for 79c yesterday.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

EngineerSean posted:

They dropped the IBD 18 poll for Bernie on RCP and Bernie dropped 80 points like instantaneously. So glad I sold those Chafee NO shares for 79c yesterday.

Hahahahaha. The Chafe is on. Those poll markets are utter madness.

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.
New story about North Korean nuclear tests just came out an hour or two ago and has shaken up that sleepy market... relatively speaking.

175 shares have traded hands today, which is about 7x the normal daily volume and easily could just be one person gobbling up that many YES shares.

I'm on the NO side so my G/L looks pretty bad right now, I'm still thinking it won't happen before the end of the year, so I may increase my NO position for cheap.

Biden and nukes, what a world we live in.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The predictitors are reading the tea leaves hard on whatever panel Biden is at now. Might be a good time (again) to pick up cheap NOs and flip them when he doesn't announce today.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Tomato Burger posted:

New story about North Korean nuclear tests just came out an hour or two ago and has shaken up that sleepy market... relatively speaking.

175 shares have traded hands today, which is about 7x the normal daily volume and easily could just be one person gobbling up that many YES shares.

I'm on the NO side so my G/L looks pretty bad right now, I'm still thinking it won't happen before the end of the year, so I may increase my NO position for cheap.

Biden and nukes, what a world we live in.

If you read the rules it explicitly states that they have to detonate a thermonuclear weapon which puts an even heavier skew on NO.

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.

Necc0 posted:

If you read the rules it explicitly states that they have to detonate a thermonuclear weapon which puts an even heavier skew on NO.

I do recall reading that in the market comments, and none of the detonations so far have been thermonuclear, so I'm still feeling pretty good. Bought up some cheaper shares as a result.

If a nuke does go off I really hope PredictIt doesn't say "oops we meant any nuclear device and were just trying to fancy up the wording by saying thermonuclear".

Speaking of thermonuclear, this Biden market has been nutty. I just jumped in as NO around 30 and have been tossed around like a ship on the ocean. It has been a wild two hours; I don't see how the rest of you have survived the last few weeks.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Pretty sure Biden is building up maximum hype for either a yes or a no, but it's impossible to tell if he really wants to put his legacy on the line here.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
@BillKristol
Biden confirms to Obama at lunch today he's running, announces at U Delaware tomorrow. You can feel the Joementum!

That was 51 minutes ago by the way, not a peep from any actual news source

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

nachos posted:

@BillKristol
Biden confirms to Obama at lunch today he's running, announces at U Delaware tomorrow. You can feel the Joementum!

Not sure how Biden confirms he's running over lunch when they don't have lunch until 12:30 today. I think he's just trolling.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Those creepy gifs of him rubbing the shoulders of young girls... In a commercial... Launched by the likely first woman in the white house... Don't do it Biden.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
my brain says no but my heart says run biden run

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.

EngineerSean posted:

my brain wallet says no but my heart says run biden run

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Politico has a story out saying Biden actually wanted to go after Bin Laden in Pakistan, contrary to all the reports. Uh oh.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Concerned Citizen posted:

Not sure how Biden confirms he's running over lunch when they don't have lunch until 12:30 today. I think he's just trolling.

It's also Bill Kristol. If Bill Kristol announces the sky is blue, buy shares in sky green, he's literally the most wrong pundit in Washington to the point where it's practically a performance piece.

If Biden doesn't announce today, poo poo ain't happening until Saturday. You don't want to make that kind of announcement on Wed-Fri. If he does wait until Saturday, that's another week he lost out on and his numbers will drop to sub-10 by Christmas. All it will manage to do is taint the brand and hurt Hillary and Bernie's chances.

Edited to add:

Bill Kristol, ladies and gentlemen.

pathetic little tramp has issued a correction as of 17:49 on Oct 20, 2015

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

pathetic little tramp posted:

It's also Bill Kristol. If Bill Kristol announces the sky is blue, buy shares in sky green, he's literally the most wrong pundit in Washington to the point where it's practically a performance piece.

If Biden doesn't announce today, poo poo ain't happening until Saturday. You don't want to make that kind of announcement on Wed-Fri. If he does wait until Saturday, that's another week he lost out on and his numbers will drop to sub-10 by Christmas. All it will manage to do is taint the brand and hurt Hillary and Bernie's chances.

I don't agree. He can announce any time this week and make the Iowa JJ his first major speech. If he doesn't announce by JJ, it'll mean something is seriously dysfunctional.

If he were announcing today, we'd likely already know.

Edit: Also, just as a note. There's no reason to think Biden's announcement will be a big Trump-esque event. Hillary, for example, announced her candidacy over YouTube and didn't have a big kick off speech until a month later. Biden's schedule would likely be compressed but the point is that there's no reason to think this needs to fit into any particular mold. He could simply file and do a press release, if he wished.

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 17:32 on Oct 20, 2015

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Tomato Burger posted:

I do recall reading that in the market comments, and none of the detonations so far have been thermonuclear, so I'm still feeling pretty good. Bought up some cheaper shares as a result.

If a nuke does go off I really hope PredictIt doesn't say "oops we meant any nuclear device and were just trying to fancy up the wording by saying thermonuclear".

Speaking of thermonuclear, this Biden market has been nutty. I just jumped in as NO around 30 and have been tossed around like a ship on the ocean. It has been a wild two hours; I don't see how the rest of you have survived the last few weeks.

The CEO is this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Aristotle_Phillips

He knows his nuke classifications :v:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lucky this one doesn't have markets for "who drops first"

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

Lucky this one doesn't have markets for "who drops first"

Does that mean +$70 or $70 total including your original amount?

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

:laffo:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vox Nihili posted:

Does that mean +$70 or $70 total including your original amount?

Bet was $2000 on "No, Webb will not secure the 2016 nomination", return was $2070.48 because the chance for yes was very low already.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

Bet was $2000 on "No, Webb will not secure the 2016 nomination", return was $2070.48 because the chance for yes was very low already.

Did you go all in after his announcement to drop? That seems an obscure market in which to dump two grand unless it was a very recent move.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Oh man I forgot the debt ceiling was so close. This ones gonna be good :munch:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I don't have any more available cash :(

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Aliquid posted:

Did you go all in after his announcement to drop? That seems an obscure market in which to dump two grand unless it was a very recent move.

I did $2000 on No back in seotember for "will x be the democratic candidate" on everyone but Clinton and Sanders. Safe bets after all.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Necc0 posted:

It seems an easy yes but I think we're at the peak on the value of YES before it resolves. Probably best to buy some low nos and ride them up 20 cents or so as we approach.

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.

Necc0 posted:

This one should be awesome. I ultimately think this one will end up resolving as NO because there's always little tricks and levers and pockets available to avoid hitting the debt ceiling on the initial prescribed date... I may toss a few bucks that way; need to mull it over a bit longer. 2-week turnaround is nice and short, regardless.

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.

Tomato Burger posted:

there's always little tricks and levers and pockets available to avoid hitting the debt ceiling on the initial prescribed date...

Upon further research, these "extraordinary measures" have been deployed since March, so this may actually be the drop-dead date.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Tomato Burger posted:

This one should be awesome. I ultimately think this one will end up resolving as NO because there's always little tricks and levers and pockets available to avoid hitting the debt ceiling on the initial prescribed date... I may toss a few bucks that way; need to mull it over a bit longer. 2-week turnaround is nice and short, regardless.

I'm not sure that's the right move. We already passed the initial date, and it was already moved from Nov 5 to Nov 3. It could possibly move but I suspect Boehner is just going to put up a clean debt increase and pass it with Dem votes + a few GOPers prior to that. After Nov 3 they have to prioritize spending which means a technical default.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

you just wait for chafeementum. lot's of people in this country who sign things without reading them, and he speaks to their experience

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I don't know what you're going to do with any money you make off No on the Debt Ceiling since we then enter a financial Armageddon.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

I did $2000 on No back in seotember for "will x be the democratic candidate" on everyone but Clinton and Sanders. Safe bets after all.

3% in one month is 36% YOY, not bad at all.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Gyges posted:

I don't know what you're going to do with any money you make off No on the Debt Ceiling since we then enter a financial Armageddon.

Can we bet in Euros?

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.

Can we bet in Euros?

Gold bullion or yen only.

If my North Korea nuke = NO bid doesn't pay off, then maybe just bullion.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
This trolling is like something Onion Biden would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

I'm not sure that's the right move. We already passed the initial date, and it was already moved from Nov 5 to Nov 3. It could possibly move but I suspect Boehner is just going to put up a clean debt increase and pass it with Dem votes + a few GOPers prior to that. After Nov 3 they have to prioritize spending which means a technical default.

I think you're right about this, at least as long as Boehner is Speaker. It's pretty safe to resolve as YES, but I don't think it will be a straight line between here and there. The tea party, freedom caucus, or whatever you want to call them will do what they can to drive the car off the cliff. Right wing talk radio will get everyone excited and it could go right down to the wire. I'm going to dabble in, see what I can get in the 20's for NO and see if I can double my money at some point.

• Locked thread