Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EvilHawk posted:

It looks like it comes after the pool scene in ep 3 but I don't remember going there?

Did you save Kate? In Episode 4 there's a scene of going to visit her at the Hospital just to say hi and check up on her if you did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

Like its so obvious that the nightmare sequences was leading up something like the malevolent entity controlling the storm trying to demoralize Max and break her so she couldn't stop it and Rachel would help her overcome it.

the game is called life is strange not life is anime

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Did you save Kate? In Episode 4 there's a scene of going to visit her at the Hospital just to say hi and check up on her if you did.

Yeah, sorry, I did save Kate so I have the hospital scene. The one I don't have is the top right one, in the picture it looks like the parking lot the morning after but I can't work out how to trigger it - possibly if you don't save Kate?.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Accordion Man posted:

I like how DONTNOD set up a noticeable amount of evidence that the storm was completely unrelated to Chloe's death (Max's vision in the very beginning of the game before she got her powers, the Prescotts knowing about it, etc.) and then they just threw that all way. Like its so obvious that the nightmare sequences was leading up something like the malevolent entity controlling the storm trying to demoralize Max and break her so she couldn't stop it and Rachel would help her overcome it. But lol nope. Not to mention that it just neglects its supporting cast, which really helped make that game. Nathan never got the help he needed, Victoria lost all of her development and Kate as well, etc.)

It does feel a little bit like they had more plans and some things got cut/rearranged at the last minute. But I could just be projecting my own wishes onto reality. Still kind of a bummer that the ending is so sudden and abrupt in a game that was never afraid to take its time before.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

pog boyfriend posted:

Looks like someone missed the voltron ending.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

EvilHawk posted:

Yeah, sorry, I did save Kate so I have the hospital scene. The one I don't have is the top right one, in the picture it looks like the parking lot the morning after but I can't work out how to trigger it - possibly if you don't save Kate?.

I thought the parking lot was in the very first episode, it's where you walk and encounter Warren for the flash drive and get picked up by Chloe.

BobTheJanitor posted:

It does feel a little bit like they had more plans and some things got cut/rearranged at the last minute. But I could just be projecting my own wishes onto reality. Still kind of a bummer that the ending is so sudden and abrupt in a game that was never afraid to take its time before.

It was still a three hour episode. I wonder if the disappointment is that the ending was "predictable" because all the cards were effectively on the table by this point, but they should be when you are entering Act 5. Even if you have a twist ending - I'll pull out the Sixth Sense as an example - if you watched 4/5ths of the movie and had a few months to think about it with a bunch of goons, you'd probably guess the ending. Or for a video game example, play 4/5ths of Spec Ops: The Line, you'd guess what happens at the end pretty quickly with some time to think about it before continuing. The only way to avoid that is to really keep information from the player, but that's not entirely fair.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 20, 2015

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

pog boyfriend posted:

Uh all the people of Arcadia Bay gave me their Chi and I beat the tornado so maybe you just made bad choices.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

I like how DONTNOD set up a noticeable amount of evidence that the storm was completely unrelated to Chloe's death (Max's vision in the very beginning of the game before she got her powers, the Prescotts knowing about it, etc.) and then they just threw that all way. Like its so obvious that the nightmare sequences was leading up something like the malevolent entity controlling the storm trying to demoralize Max and break her so she couldn't stop it and Rachel would help her overcome it. But lol nope. Not to mention that it just neglects its supporting cast, which really helped make that game. Nathan never got the help he needed, Victoria lost all of her development and Kate as well, etc.)

What I was actually expecting was Finding out that Rachel was the first time traveler and the cause of the storm, and Max would be the one to fix her mistakes.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Zerilan posted:

What I was actually expecting was Finding out that Rachel was the first time traveler and the cause of the storm, and Max would be the one to fix her mistakes.
That would have worked too. Also that reminds that thanks to the ending Rachel just got reduced to nothing but a McGuffin.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 20, 2015

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Part of me hopes that a lot of the parts that feel "cut" are because they made a lot more money on this than they thought they would so are going to make a second season where you play as Rachel or something and are saving those plot points for that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

monster on a stick posted:

It was still a three hour episode. I wonder if the disappointment is that the ending was "predictable" because all the cards were effectively on the table by this point, but they should be when you are entering Act 5. Even if you have a twist ending - I'll pull out the Sixth Sense as an example - if you watched 4/5ths of the movie and had a few months to think about it with a bunch of goons, you'd probably guess the ending. Or for a video game example, play 4/5ths of Spec Ops: The Line, you'd guess what happens at the end pretty quickly with some time to think about it before continuing. The only way to avoid that is to really keep information from the player, but that's not entirely fair.

In all fairness, I will say that the ending was unusually reserved in a story that kept upping the ante with some great twists until the final moments. You also have to consider that gamer goons are mostly insane people who fixate on every little detail for months at a time instead of just trying to focus on their overall experience and enjoyment. Still, I think it's better in stories like these to play it safe and temper people's wild expectations than try to do something irrationally unpredictable and artsy that fails in tremendous fashion. But even ME3's ending to me was a very entertaining failure. What can I say, I just lovvvve vidya games and I love Life is Strange.

Rachel Amber was always a red herring, and I'm glad they didn't Star Child her in somehow.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 20, 2015

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me
i'm pretty satisfied with this game and ending, i think. i definitely agree that there could have been more payoff in regards to, like, every other character in the game. at least in the ending where you let Arcadia Bay die, it's kind of hard to get a sense of the weight of that choice when you get a single scene of driving around a wrecked street.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Fans posted:

Since this thread looks like Wartime Correspodence I'm guessing the last episode is out. Tell me Goons. Was it worth it?

The ending was not all that I hoped for, but it was more like they failed to stick it than say ME3 where they missed it entirely and landed in a pile of mangled thrashing limbs. I'll probably revisit the game in the future, but I am a little bummed that they couldn't do more with the last chapter than they did.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

monster on a stick posted:

I thought the parking lot was in the very first episode, it's where you walk and encounter Warren for the flash drive and get picked up by Chloe.

This is p much it.

I played Episode's 1-3 at the same time. I didn't realize how much everything was trying to kill Chloe until the wait for episode 4, then Season 4 made it pretty much explicit.

Given any story, if you've done a good job telling the story, given enough time people should be able to put together the pieces necessary to figure out the problem and the solution.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

For the episode 1 tornado vision, I feel like the Dontnod was going for it being an Oedipal-style premonition, where Max assumes that by using her powers, she can stop the tornado seen in her vision, but in reality using her powers causes it, kinda like how the king hears about his son killing him in a prophecy and tries to prevent it by sending his son away, but as we all know that causes his own death.

I do think it's pretty lame though because it feels like the game is just punishing Max/Player for doing her best with what she knows.

Also went for saving Chloe because I got such strong Madoka vibes at the end I decided I might as well ride the anime train. I enjoyed Obstacles at the end, always liked that song and it was a pretty touching callback to have at that scene.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Okay, can someone tell me what on the hell I'm supposed to do at the part where Mr. Jefferson hits David with the camera equipment? There is nothing else around me to interact with, if I warn him before or as Jefferson is picking up the thing he goes "time to shut the gently caress up, okay?" and attacks me. If I do it any other time, he still hits David despite warning him and goes down and then Jefferson kills me. I feel like I've tried every possibly spot in between those two as well, and it's the same outcome. If you rewind all the way back you can't do anything either. What am I missing here? I've rewound and experienced this drat scene a billion times.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Macaluso posted:

Okay, can someone tell me what on the hell I'm supposed to do at the part where Mr. Jefferson hits David with the camera equipment? There is nothing else around me to interact with, if I warn him before or as Jefferson is picking up the thing he goes "time to shut the gently caress up, okay?" and attacks me. If I do it any other time, he still hits David despite warning him and goes down and then Jefferson kills me. I feel like I've tried every possibly spot in between those two as well, and it's the same outcome. If you rewind all the way back you can't do anything either. What am I missing here? I've rewound and experienced this drat scene a billion times.

It's a tricky one to figure out. Rewind into the conversation and ask for a drink of water to get the cart slid within kicking distance. You'll get an opportunity to make Jefferson stumble when he goes in for the second blow that way. Also ask for a picture in that same conversation for an achievement.

While I'm at it, for anyone else who got stuck on the digicode like the dumbass I was; the mirror is indeed the answer, and the code's right in your face. Look to the left and you'll see it right up close to the edge of the mirror on the reflected wall.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a tricky one to figure out. Rewind into the conversation and ask for a drink of water to get the cart slid within kicking distance. You'll get an opportunity to make Jefferson stumble when he goes in for the second blow that way. Also ask for a picture in that same conversation for an achievement.

What the gently caress. That's one of those things the games should make a lot clearer cause before going back to that conversation just goes back to everything being scripted and out of your control

Edit: oh good the game did the thing where everything freezes while rewinding and you have to reload :geno:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 20, 2015

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Ending talk: Everyone keeps comparing the ending to Donnie Darko, and even though there's obviously more going on than just that it still was pretty obviously one of Life is Strange's influences (it's even one of the license plates!). But what's interesting to me is that if you look at the ending through the Donnie Darko lens, even though Max is the one with the supernatural powers Chloe is kind of the Donnie figure-- she's the one who (from her perspective) has a week-long idyll past when she would have died in a tangent universe, investigates mysteries with and also maybe kisses a girl, breaks into school, and has a cool time travel adventure (even if she's not the one actually time traveling), and from her perspective it's only right at the end when everything falls apart-- finding out Rachel Amber is dead, Jefferson killing a bunch of people, and everyone dying in a horrific tornado. She then makes the decision to avert all of this and die at her appointed time, ending the tangent. And from her perspective, this is all one continuous timeline until Max uses the photo to go back in time and let Chloe die.

Of course, Chloe's entire Donnie Darko story is actually facilitated by Max having to constantly travel back and forth in time to fix things, creating dead-end timelines littered with dozens of dead Chloes everywhere, etc.

Also all of the Donnie Darko stuff made me so nervous during the plane scene because I kept expecting the plane to crash horrifically or something. :v:

Also: "Life is.................................

weird."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Empress Theonora posted:

Also: "Life is.................................

weird."

I loved that little fakeout :allears:.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Macaluso posted:

What the gently caress. That's one of those things the games should make a lot clearer cause before going back to that conversation just goes back to everything being scripted and out of your control

Edit: oh good the game did the thing where everything freezes while rewinding and you have to reload :geno:

The other way to do it is to just have Jefferson take a picture of you. Warn David when Jefferson is far enough away from you, then tell him to throw the camera at Jefferson. When Jefferson runs for the gun in the cabinet, you can trip the power cable on your left to make Jefferson fall, and then David beats the poo poo out of him.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Macaluso posted:

I'm pretty sure any of the conversation options have the same outcome, you just need to pick the right action afterwards.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

EvilHawk posted:

I'm pretty sure any of the conversation options have the same outcome, you just need to pick the right action afterwards.

Turning on the music is the only bad one, since he just hides behind you.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT TO SAVE ALYSSA

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

sout posted:

I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT TO SAVE ALYSSA

Doesn't really matter since ending determines if she dies

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I like Episode 5. Mainly because it lets you maintain an absolutely awesome kill count.

Although I wonder how much of its size is recycled material from earlier episodes.

And we finally know what the improved (not really) lip sync was for.
:pervert:

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Mixed feelings about the ending. I chose to sacrifice Chloe, like all choices in the game I regretted it basically immediately, but I guess I'm definitely going to go through in another save anyway.
I feel really strongly about this game, and I feel like it did a lot of things I wanted, and some things I didn't expect ("I only want to go ape with you, Chloe" sequence).
I suppose it's the point, but this ending is so frustrating, I sort of wish there was some permanence for your choices in this case. The good news is wouldn't feel this way if I didn't like the characters as much as I did, which is I suppose in itself a success.

There's so much to think about, this was a dense episode.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
I like how the game called me on playing both Warren and Chloe. :allears:

sout
Apr 24, 2014

does the kiss only happen if you did it in ep3? I didn't see it in my KILL CHLOE ending, or does it always happen in the KILL EVERYONE ending?

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
I'm maybe 1/3 through. The time is hosed and I have to unfuck it. :psyduck:

sout
Apr 24, 2014

jonnypeh posted:

I'm maybe 1/3 through. The time is hosed and I have to unfuck it. :psyduck:

goonspeed

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Warren my dude you are a little too okay with Max just flat out telling you she has time travel powers. You aren't skeptical of this at all.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Macaluso posted:

Warren my dude you are a little too okay with Max just flat out telling you she has time travel powers. You aren't skeptical of this at all.

Hey man, She asked him about time travel like 3 eps ago. It totally checks out.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Chaos Theory is magic.

J-dogg totally dropped the "oval office" bomb, have they said that before? I mean it was a little surprising but given the game's content not really out of place

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ooooh, the way they handled taking a picture of the skeleton while everything is moving backwards was clever.

On a related note, what the gently caress :psyduck:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

On rethinking this a little bit, I'm somewhat disappointed that the ending choice is provided to you with no proof that it actually is a real choice. The characters just assume that Max absolutely HAS to be the cause of the tornado, and that going back and letting Chloe die just HAS to be the way to fix it. Like, we all sort of accepted it because we were all expecting that anyway, and yes, the ending proves that out. But how exactly did we know for sure, in that moment, that it was the case?

It irks me that the one thing we apparently know for sure about this unexplained time power is that using it at all causes a deathnado to smash your town. I think this is why the ending rang a bit hollow for me, because that final choice didn't really feel like it had the force of inevitability behind it.

And also, Max could totally have held on to that photo instead of ripping it up right then and there and made an informed decision later on. This is time travel after all, no decision has to be made right now.

Maybe go see how the town came through first? I live in tornado alley, and I've seen destruction like that. It's terrible, but it's not going to wipe out all life in its path. Most of those buildings were still standing. (Don't you even see the diner intact as you drive past?) If it isn't knocking buildings off their foundations then most people are going to be injured but not dead.

And if you do save Chloe, are the mysterious time gods still going to be after you? Drive on to the next town and another tornado blows that one up too? I don't even know how that's supposed to work.

Imagine four Chloes on the edge of a cliff. Time works the same way

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Literally did not even spend a fraction of a second thinking about the last choice, let the world burn :unsmigghh:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Ooooh, the way they handled taking a picture of the skeleton while everything is moving backwards was clever.

On a related note, what the gently caress :psyduck:

Also if you rewind all the audio plays back normally including the music.

Also the reason that we know Chloe alive is the cause of the storm is because Max tried everything else to prevent it.

And as far as why Max got her powers - she got to spend one last week with her childhood friend. It may not be important to you, but it's important to Max. The sequence with Chloe as a paraplegic and her saying that she wanted her last moments to be with Max was foreshadowing.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 20, 2015

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I think I was basically okay with the ending, but what does disappoint me is that I know so many people are bummed out about it and it might sour how people remember the game down the line.
I thought the ep was a cool ride, would people be more pissed off if there literally wasn't a choice, or that there was a choice and one ending seems more fleshed out than the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Edit: ^^^^The problems with the last episode go deeper than just that one choice, but effectively they did reduce the story to one choice because it's still all about that final choice regardless of everything else that happened - which option you take is practically irrelevant in the face of that, especially since the sequence afterward is so short.

The thing about the time travel powers is that they don't have to 'explain' them like "Max got them because the elder council of time wizards chose her to unlock the Rubic's Cube of Fate, let's talk about their lore for 30 minutes...", but there could still have been a more satisfying narrative purpose to them. The storm being caused by Max using her powers is just frustratingly dull, making the whole story pointless because the motivating incident was its own cause - what, she was supposed to ignore the vision? The only winning move was not to play? What is the point of giving her the powers in the first place, so the universe can taunt her?

It doesn't help that it's already such a worn cliche in time travel stories that it just seems like they didn't have any original or insightful ideas. This wasn't predictable because we're in act 5 of a 5 act story, it's predictable from episode 1 if you have very little faith in the writers because "Can't change the past! (without loving everything arbitrarily" is the pretentious, overused time travel moral. It's also the simplest possible explanation for the time travel/typhoon situation that doesn't require any other plot elements and basically treats everything in episodes 2-4 as red herrings to throw you off.

Also I'm not a fan of how they basically just throw every theory haphazardly at the wall to see what sticks. Are there really alt-timelines representing all the times Max ditched, with Maxes there dealing with her decisions? Eh, maybe and maybe Rachel Amber really was 'special' or the Prescotts knew more than they let on, or maybe that's as much a weird hallucination as a dog who sends texts. Inviting you to make up your own interpretation is a cheap copout, like they're leaving a lot of narrative debris lying around and inviting you to use it to patch over any plot holes they left if you feel the need. These bits and pieces are what they could've used to build a more interesting plot and they don't.

I think Accordion Man is hitting it pretty well on the nose, especially the feeling that the last episode just sort of throws everything else out as red herrings, as if they were rushed somehow.

This basically had the same problems as Mass Effect 3 - a character-driven story with lots of big mysteries that abandons those characters and mysteries at the last moment for the sake of a contrived ending choice disconnected from the rest of the game for the sake of a fairly vague overall message.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 20, 2015

• Locked thread