Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

*rubs into gums*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Anora posted:

Redlettermedia put together a touching video for the new Star Wars movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1pn4bTAQWA

Also doubles as a Breaking Bad tribute.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The lovely fanart makes a valid point.

Just two generations ago there were millions of jedi flopping about all over the galaxy. It beggars belief that a technologically advanced society has forgotten all about them so quickly.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The best 'fan art' Red Letter Media guys did was the one of Honest Trailers videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acYl2lpq1YI

mind the walrus posted:

Star Wars is for nerds tho...

I know what's not for nerds: Taylor Swift!

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Gorilla Salad posted:

Just two generations ago there were millions of jedi flopping about all over the galaxy. It beggars belief that a technologically advanced society has forgotten all about them so quickly.

Personally I like to see it as the new trilogy just sort of ignoring the prequels and going with the solitary taoist space mystic angle from the originals.

But I'm pretty sure the in-universe explanation is that at the time of the prequels the Jedi pretty much only retained significant influence on Coruscant. Most people in the galaxy would never have met one, much less seen them demonstrating overtly supernatural powers so anyone who had even heard of them would consider the Jedi an archaic religious group clinging onto power by force of tradition and dubious claims of divine mandate.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Tatooine is where all the uninformed space hicks live, it's pretty much way too far away from coruscant for anybody to care about jedis

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Mintergalactic posted:

Tatooine is where all the uninformed space hicks live, it's pretty much way too far away from coruscant for anybody to care about jedis

Tatooine isn't in the new movie, though.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Mintergalactic posted:

:goonsay: Tatooine is established in the Old Republic era to be basically a trap for settlers, because scans make it seem like there's a ton of useful metals on the planet but they're all flawed and corrode incredibly fast, making them basically worthless. Hence it gets settled then abandoned and forgotten, then re-discovered and re-settled, over and over. Generally the rich, powerful, and informed don't end up on a barren rock made of whatever the iron equivalent of pyrite is where the main job seems to be "a farmer, but instead of crops it's water because it's a loving desert and you have to devote your profession to condensing moisture from the air to even have water".

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

the wildest rear end posted:

Tatooine isn't in the new movie, though.

what the hell, you can't have 2 desert planets, that's just silly

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Taciturn Tactician posted:

:goonsay: Tatooine is established in the Old Republic era to be basically a trap for settlers, because scans make it seem like there's a ton of useful metals on the planet but they're all flawed and corrode incredibly fast, making them basically worthless. Hence it gets settled then abandoned and forgotten, then re-discovered and re-settled, over and over. Generally the rich, powerful, and informed don't end up on a barren rock made of whatever the iron equivalent of pyrite is where the main job seems to be "a farmer, but instead of crops it's water because it's a loving desert and you have to devote your profession to condensing moisture from the air to even have water"
- pyrite IS iron (sulfide)
- ever heard of "ore"? That's more often than not "corroded metal" (iron ore is iron oxide is...rust).
- you are probably thinking of the equivalent of gold or silver, which are the two metals that you do find in pure form (I might forget some, but I would guess that those are the most important ones).
- there is no "other metal" that is "similar" or whatever. You have the periodic table and that's it.

Of course this is all science and Star Wars is not really science, but that explanation still makes zero sense on any possible level...

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Terrorforge posted:

Personally I like to see it as the new trilogy just sort of ignoring the prequels and going with the solitary taoist space mystic angle from the originals.

But I'm pretty sure the in-universe explanation is that at the time of the prequels the Jedi pretty much only retained significant influence on Coruscant. Most people in the galaxy would never have met one, much less seen them demonstrating overtly supernatural powers so anyone who had even heard of them would consider the Jedi an archaic religious group clinging onto power by force of tradition and dubious claims of divine mandate.

I always got the impression your average joe hated the Jedi anyway, since whenever they show up, there's usually some horrible war or disaster in the offing. KotOR II made this point pretty explicit.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Simply Simon posted:

that explanation still makes zero sense on any possible level...

Yep, Star Wars.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Simply Simon posted:

- pyrite IS iron (sulfide)
- ever heard of "ore"? That's more often than not "corroded metal" (iron ore is iron oxide is...rust).
- you are probably thinking of the equivalent of gold or silver, which are the two metals that you do find in pure form (I might forget some, but I would guess that those are the most important ones).
- there is no "other metal" that is "similar" or whatever. You have the periodic table and that's it.

Of course this is all science and Star Wars is not really science, but that explanation still makes zero sense on any possible level...

Star Wars has like fifty metals that are core to everything that they make that don't exist. I said "iron" for simplicity because it's some metal that is valuable because it's used in a lot of stuff, not because it's shiny or rare, and "pyrite" because it's Fool's Gold, as in "fool's iron/fool's whatever made up metal people in Star Wars mine". And in the Star Wars universe when they talk about it corroding fast they mean like when a car rusts and falls to pieces because it no longer holds together strongly, Tatooine ore was causing stuff like spacestations falling apart. I don't know why you'd even bother bringing science into the series that gave us lightsabers.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Star Wars has like fifty metals that are core to everything that they make that don't exist. I said "iron" for simplicity because it's some metal that is valuable because it's used in a lot of stuff, not because it's shiny or rare, and "pyrite" because it's Fool's Gold, as in "fool's iron/fool's whatever made up metal people in Star Wars mine". And in the Star Wars universe when they talk about it corroding fast they mean like when a car rusts and falls to pieces because it no longer holds together strongly, Tatooine ore was causing stuff like spacestations falling apart. I don't know why you'd even bother bringing science into the series that gave us lightsabers.
Thanks for proving my point? If nothing makes sense in the first place, why bother "explaining" it with stuff that makes even less sense? I'm not even making fun of you, but of whoever thought this explanation of Tattooine's inherent shittiness was needed. Probably George "Midichlorians" Lucas himself.
For the record, I enjoy Star Wars a lot but only when it keeps it at "it's magic, roll with it", not "it's magic which works because of [thousands of words] magic".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If there's one thing I've learned about Star Wars, it's that it becomes significantly worse when you start trying to apply real science to it. It's a fantasy movie in space, not hard sci-fi.

Simply Simon posted:

For the record, I enjoy Star Wars a lot but only when it keeps it at "it's magic, roll with it", not "it's magic which works because of [thousands of words] magic".

Basically this.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I don't really care about Star Wars but I do really really hope the black guy in the trailer is the main Jedi girl's love interest because boy howdy the internet would explode.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I don't really care about Star Wars but I do really really hope the black guy in the trailer is the main Jedi girl's love interest because boy howdy the internet would explode.

If I worked in Hollywood, I would do this all the loving time.

Not only is it good to piss off bigots, but it seems like incredible free press.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

He's going to be the funny sidekick and you know it. :smith:

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Tiberius Thyben posted:

He's going to be the funny sidekick and you know it. :smith:

I dunno man... They don't throw a light saber in any comic reliefs hand

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Bonus points if his light saber is bigger than the white guys.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

WOOP WOOP!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

Bonus points if his light saber is bigger than the white guys.
I want his lightsaber to be black just because. And yes, those exist (in Force Unleashed, the game, which is canon, I've been told). Black light.

EDIT: vvvvvv I'd be happy with, like, a two-second scene.

Simply Simon has a new favorite as of 20:17 on Oct 20, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

His lightsaber is blue, it's on the poster.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Star wars fanart of everyone's favorite character:

http://i.imgur.com/d7e3ydz.webm

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Gorilla Salad posted:

Hell that's a huge plot hole in ANH, how the hell can someone who was alive during the clone wars can it "superstition" and "ancient religion"‽

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Propaganda

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Elfgames posted:

Propaganda

I could easily see the Emperor quietly suppressing all mention of the Jedi. Given that there's, what, 20 years between Sith and A New Hope, you could see a lot of people either forgetting or not caring. What, the Jedi? Oh yeah, those crazy guys who could do magic or whatever. Load of rubbish.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Who the hell eats a burger with a knife and fork.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If it's cheese fries or such, a fork is fine!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
American portions are stupidly huge for us tiny mouthed non Americans.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Concordat posted:

Who the hell eats a burger with a knife and fork in a room that has a caricature of a cursed version of yourself.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Concordat posted:

People in civilized parts of the world (Western and Northern Europe) who order a burger in a restaurant that isn't a fast food place.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DekeThornton posted:

People in civilized parts of the world (Western and Northern Europe) who order a burger in a restaurant that isn't a fast food place.

extremely hosed up if true

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

If I worked in Hollywood, I would do this all the loving time.

Not only is it good to piss off bigots, but it seems like incredible free press.

there's already a tiny but real boycott movement over the black lead, boycott autofills boycott star wars on google right now

well played hollywood execs, now if I don't see this film because the reboot/remake/re-imagining well has gone bone dry for me people will go "yeah sure that's why you didn't see it" :jerkbag:

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

Pomp posted:

extremely hosed up if true

http://nowiknow.com/max-the-knife/

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

DekeThornton posted:

That sounds like the opposite of civilized.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DekeThornton posted:

Yeah of course a snooty frenchman would eat a burger with a fork and knife, completely missing the point of the bun being an edible food handle!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Boy do I have news for you.

quote:

Overnight the hashtag #BoycottStarWarsVII began trending, with people claiming that the movie is “anti-white”, even going as far as saying that the film promotes “white genocide”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

SynthOrange posted:

Boy do I have news for you.

Nice. It's not even out yet and some people already hate it.

• Locked thread