Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Playing tonight for the first time in over a year, decided to take it easy and play the majority of the game in nets (it's 5-a-side on 3G AstroTurf). Can't find any pairs of my boots anywhere though, may have left them all at my ex's house.

If I'm just playing at a relaxed pace and being a keeper I can get away with just playing in Vans trainers right? I used to a be a full kit wanker so am experiencing higher than average anxiety about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
3G can be a little slippy, and you do need traction in goal, but if it's your first game back in over a year you'll probably have bigger things to worry about!

Do none of your team-mates have spare pair you can borrow for the game?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Playing tonight for the first time in over a year, decided to take it easy and play the majority of the game in nets (it's 5-a-side on 3G AstroTurf). Can't find any pairs of my boots anywhere though, may have left them all at my ex's house.

If I'm just playing at a relaxed pace and being a keeper I can get away with just playing in Vans trainers right? I used to a be a full kit wanker so am experiencing higher than average anxiety about this.

get a pair of proper boots soon, you're going to slip and tear something unpleasant.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Been trying to play back since spraining my ankle about 5 weeks ago. Flexibility is around 90%. Mobility is around is 80-90%. Can job fine but sprinting is a little iffy.

Played outdoor on a 3G turf last weekend for around 60 minutes and didn't seem too bad. Was a bit sore the next day.

Played indoor last night on one of those carpet/cement turfs and couldn't even last 30 minutes. Sprinting was painful. Is it the hard surface that's just not good for my weak ankle?

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

In my experience indoor is much harder on the ankles. Way more stop/starting, way more cutting, way less straight line running. I actually had to not play indoor for a long time because my ankles couldn't take it but played outdoor that whole time.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Yeah, running on a lovely surface is going to cause more impact wear/tear on whatever injuries you have affecting your joints.

The thing about ankle injuries is that however healthy you think it is, it's real easy for it to go straight back to square one. Take some extra time to build up some strength and balance in it. Here are some of the exercises I did that helped with my ankle injuries:

-Standing on one foot (the injured ankle) with just my eyes closed. This is just a basic balance thing that helps figure out where a lot of the strengthening needs to take place and is something good to do early on in recovery.
-Standing on one foot, bouncing a tennis ball against a wall. This gets some more movement involved in the balancing and gets you thinking less about the ankle.
-Standing on one foot, using the other foot to dribble a tennis ball around myself (clockwise and counter). Slightly more advanced movement.

The important thing to do is to not dig your toes in when you're doing these exercises, because it takes a lot of the work off your ankle which defeats the purpose. Relax your toes, or even raise them, while keeping your heel planted and foot level. You can do the exercises in shoes, but I think I got more out of them doing them barefoot on a carpeted surface.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I played on a carpet/cement ground a while back after not having played on one for 5 years and my god I was sore the next day, I reckon half my injury problems are down to playing exclusively on that surface for years

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Bogan Krkic posted:

I played on a carpet/cement ground a while back after not having played on one for 5 years and my god I was sore the next day, I reckon half my injury problems are down to playing exclusively on that surface for years

I played today with my one of my daughter's teams today on indoor turf on a bit of a shaky knee and now I can loving barely walk on it. Probably not the best decision since it was not feeling all that great but I played some on grass this week with a couple of the teams I help coach and it felt fine. So yeah gently caress that surface forever.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

vulturesrow posted:

I played today with my one of my daughter's teams today on indoor turf on a bit of a shaky knee and now I can loving barely walk on it. Probably not the best decision since it was not feeling all that great but I played some on grass this week with a couple of the teams I help coach and it felt fine. So yeah gently caress that surface forever.

There's a definite difference, I've just go back into it after a year out and outdoor turf is heaps easier

:agreed: on the indoor thing, that's what did me in. What a oval office of a surface. Also age.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

So I talked to pain management and they are gonna give me a spine stimulator or something. He also said that it could see me on the pitch if it works for me.

Spinal surgery is scary, doing it more than just to play foot, but it's gonna be nice.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

A spine stimulator sounds like a euphemism for a dildo in one of those mail-order magazines

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Bogan Krkic posted:

A spine stimulator sounds like a euphemism for a dildo in one of those mail-order magazines

It does. It's weird how he described it. Essentially it would be wires connected to the nerves in my back that are the pain receptors and a battery pack in my butt.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Soulex posted:

It does. It's weird how he described it. Essentially it would be wires connected to the nerves in my back that are the pain receptors and a battery pack in my butt.

Those are cool, I've heard nothing but good things about them (admittedly only from the doctors recommending them) but from what I've heard they seem to work well. Fingers crossed for ya

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Excited for Robo Soulex and his bio mechanical autocorrect.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Has anyone here done their MCL?

I did mine in February and I'm still getting quite a bit of discomfort. I can still play but I've lost a ton of mobility and agility. Admittedly this could just be because I'm now thirty five :(

I think next year might be my last year of playing competitively. Getting old is real loving poo poo yo

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Ewar Woowar posted:

Has anyone here done their MCL?

I did mine in February and I'm still getting quite a bit of discomfort. I can still play but I've lost a ton of mobility and agility. Admittedly this could just be because I'm now thirty five :(

I think next year might be my last year of playing competitively. Getting old is real loving poo poo yo

I think I might have damaged mine a few months ago but I never went and got scans and it seems to be back to ~90% fitness so idk. Had a mate that smashed up his MCL and PCL more than a year ago, came back to playing after about 6 months, turned on it wrong again and it just collapsed, and he hasn't been game to play since.

What sort of discomfort are you still getting? Just soreness in the knee?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Bogan Krkic posted:

I think I might have damaged mine a few months ago but I never went and got scans and it seems to be back to ~90% fitness so idk. Had a mate that smashed up his MCL and PCL more than a year ago, came back to playing after about 6 months, turned on it wrong again and it just collapsed, and he hasn't been game to play since.

What sort of discomfort are you still getting? Just soreness in the knee?

Yeah massive joint pain when sleeping or sitting in certain positions. Also struggling to bring a ball down on my left foot as well as I used to as my leg doesn't seem to move the way it used to. Also it still feels really bruised- which seems odd since it happened in February

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
You need to take some time off and do some strengthening exercises, bud. You would also probably benefit from a foam roller, since your leg is probably tight and aching from having to compensate for the injured knee.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Ewar Woowar posted:

Yeah massive joint pain when sleeping or sitting in certain positions. Also struggling to bring a ball down on my left foot as well as I used to as my leg doesn't seem to move the way it used to. Also it still feels really bruised- which seems odd since it happened in February

I think we're in the same boat, mine just aches weird sometimes and it took like 3 months to be able to bend it fully. Not convinced it was an MCL, but it definitely felt like ligament damage when I did it and it sucks for sure. If you can find a bulk-billing physio (does that exist in NZ? idk how your doctors work) it's probably worth it to go see one and do some proper exercises to get it back to strength. When I ruined my ACL it helped heaps having a physio actually track what needed to be built back up muscle-wise surrounding the ligament

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ewar Woowar posted:

It could be a bone bruise as well.

I had a player fall on my leg about five years ago and an MRI showed no significant structural damage but I did have a severe bone bruise and I still get pain from that today.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
man 7v7 coed is so much harder than 11v11 coed.

having 1 or 2 girls who are useless on the field just really kills your team :boom:

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Find better girls. Especially since I found that the women I play with prefer 7s to 11s

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

There was one girl I played with who could cross on to a dime. She was fun. Not all were like that though.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Geno posted:

man 7v7 coed is so much harder than 11v11 coed.

having 1 or 2 girls who are useless on the field just really kills your team :boom:

Just get one of those ones who plays like 3-4 matches a night because some team always needs a female sub

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Just don't play coed.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Generally with organized co-ed teams you can't just force people off the team or even onto the bench, though. Either it's a friend or a friend-of-a-friend or a coworker OR it's some random person who signed up as a single and paid their money etc.

That said in the US at least and in my experience the women are often pretty good in the more competitive adult co-ed leagues. There are a ton of women who play Div-1 soccer (like 50% more than men IIRC) and a lot of the hardcore guy players just stick to the mens leagues.

But yeah all THAT said obviously Geno is right that a dead spot in a small-sided format is rough.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Shrapnig posted:

Just don't play coed.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
i'm fine with 11v11 coed. more casual, more social, way more space, no slide tackling, etc. a lot easier to hide your bad players in LB/RB or LM/RM.

in 7v7, once the other team realizes your girls are useless, they'll just double team your guys :krakentoot:

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
In the end I found my mud encrusted puma boots that have short enough plastic studs to get away with playing on AstroTurf, after a hosing down.

Had a nice few weeks playing despite the terrible fitness but I pulled my outer thigh two weeks ago and it was still tight last week. Can't play this week due to work but any tips for warming up that particular muscle group for next week would be great.

My feet are so slow compared to what they were it's painful, I can read the game well enough I just never get near making an impact :ohdear:

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
It’s been a little over 2 months since I sprained my ankle.

It felt good the last week. Played a full 90 on Saturday with little to no pain during the game. Lifted weights and worked on its flexibility on Sunday, then played around 40 minutes in my outdoor 7v7 game on Monday.

Ankle felt very sore on Tuesday. Decided to skip indoor on Wednesday since hopping was a bit painful. Now it’s Friday and still hurts a bit when I walk. Argh so frustrating :wankah:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

vulturesrow posted:

Almost two weeks later and I'm still not recovered fully. Getting old sucks.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Which apps/services do you guys use to organize matches? I have tried Jogabo and Fubles and I hate them both.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Simone Poodoin posted:

Which apps/services do you guys use to organize matches? I have tried Jogabo and Fubles and I hate them both.

Pick-up or league games? For league, I've used TeamSnap, it's aight

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Geno posted:

Pick-up or league games? For league, I've used TeamSnap, it's aight

One of my daughter's teams uses TeamSnap as well.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Mostly pickup for folks in the office (20+ people who play 12 spots to fill every week, need a way for them to sign up and make sure we have enough people before booking the pitch)

for league games the organizer uses MiLeyenda, which is also a piece of poo poo, gonna check out TeamSnap.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Got the trial surgery done. Amazingly it really helps with my leg pain. Granted it feels like it's asleep 24/7 now with the stim pack on but the constant pain is minimal. I can't wait to walk around and stuff to see how much it mitigates with movement.

That'll be after my back heals up though. Hurts so goddamn bad I'm popping oxy like candy.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Soulex posted:

Got the trial surgery done. Amazingly it really helps with my leg pain. Granted it feels like it's asleep 24/7 now with the stim pack on but the constant pain is minimal. I can't wait to walk around and stuff to see how much it mitigates with movement.

That'll be after my back heals up though. Hurts so goddamn bad I'm popping oxy like candy.

That's brilliant that you get a robot spine and now your legs don't hurt as bad, transformers ftw

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I'm the dude from grandmas boy with the trench coat irl

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Geno posted:

It’s been a little over 2 months since I sprained my ankle.

It felt good the last week. Played a full 90 on Saturday with little to no pain during the game. Lifted weights and worked on its flexibility on Sunday, then played around 40 minutes in my outdoor 7v7 game on Monday.

Ankle felt very sore on Tuesday. Decided to skip indoor on Wednesday since hopping was a bit painful. Now it’s Friday and still hurts a bit when I walk. Argh so frustrating :wankah:

ankleinjuries.txt

Soulex posted:

That's great to hear, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

This season, my league is allowing kick-ins instead of throw-ins. Every time the ball goes out of bounds, you can elect to take an indirect free kick instead of a throw.

Had our first game with this rule on Sunday. It's so dumb. We play 7v7 on short fields, so every throw-in becomes a long cross into the box. It slows play down tremendously because everyone runs downfield, setting up for the kick. I hate it.