Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Never forget that covers are typically designed by publishers, with authors having little to no control over that content.

That's not always true (I think that Saturn's Children cover was actually even worse at one point and Stross managed to get them to tone it down a little? and many publishers do work very carefully with authors to make sure they're happy with their covers) but...
I think Stross said he'd played the "gently caress no, get me a different cover" card on his last book... and it is actually accurate? Could have been worse.

I don't think it helped sales though.

E: Here.

quote:

I have occasionally thrown my toys out of the pram over cover art. The worst three:

1) The US cover of "Halting State". Not the one you've seen on sale; the one I kicked up a fuss over was an earlier draft. Same design, but the police badge on the front cover was a Scotland Yard one, and it had the London Eye in the background. (Way to go for a Scottish crime/thriller, sort of like an LAPD police car parked in Time Square.) A fix was procured in the nick of time. (Lothian and Borders Police logo, and the Walter Scott Monument.)

2) The US cover of "Saturn's Children". I'd already played my "author objects to cover" card the previous year, and was overruled. I'm still conflicted about this cover. On the plus side, it's undeniably striking (and highly likely to get men of a certain age to pick it up). On the minus side, I've had mail from readers who bought a British copy, imported at great expense, because they were afraid of their partner's likely response.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Charles Stross posted:

3) The Czech cover of "The Family Trade". I'm told half the bookstores in Prague misfiled it under "romance". (As I mentioned earlier, authors going ballistic over their book covers is understood. When their agent joins in, publishers take it more seriously. We got the subsequent covers changed.)
Holy poo poo I've actually seen that one in a library; I missed the author's name and thought they mislaid it into the SF section. Okay, No Return's is terrible but at least you can tell it's some kind of fantasy.

e: The cover in question:

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 19, 2015

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Holy poo poo I've actually seen that one in a library; I missed the author's name and thought they mislaid it into the SF section. Okay, No Return's is terrible but at least you can tell it's some kind of fantasy.

e: The cover in question:

Fancy condom packaging.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Patrick Spens posted:

This is weird, because the pull quote says, "this is a good and important book," but the cover says, "this is pulpy nonsense." And while I'd read either of those two options, them trying to co-exist makes me really skeptical.

Also, if I didn't like Player of Games how likely am I to like other Banks novels?

I'd say give Use of Weapons a try; if you don't like that one then Banks probably isn't going to be enjoyable for you.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Patrick Spens posted:

This is weird, because the pull quote says, "this is a good and important book," but the cover says, "this is pulpy nonsense." And while I'd read either of those two options, them trying to co-exist makes me really skeptical.

Also, if I didn't like Player of Games how likely am I to like other Banks novels?

Fairly, PoG and Consider Phlebas are much more straightforward and one - note than the rest of the culture. Excession explores similar ground to PoG, but with both more depth, and more spaceships blowing stuff up.

Use of Weapons should also get credit for having a done that is even more of a dick than the one in PoG.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Excession explores similar ground to PoG, but with both more depth, and more spaceships blowing stuff up.

Amazon US needs a kindle version of Excession already. :mad:

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Excession is the best Culture book because it has Mind BBS.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Khizan posted:

Amazon US needs a kindle version of Excession already. :mad:
I got it like a year or two ago? http://www.amazon.com/Excession-Iain-M-Banks-ebook/dp/B0167H685U/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1445303904&sr=8-1

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It wasn't available that last several dozen times I checked. Got it now, though! Thanks for pointing it out.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Khizan posted:

It wasn't available that last several dozen times I checked. Got it now, though! Thanks for pointing it out.
No worries. I remember buying it on the kindle store a couple years back when I was on a serious Banks kick, and not finishing it. Probably the guilt of not finishing that one is why I remember it so well, I'm good at petering out on the fifth or sixth or eighth book when I'm on an author tear :laugh:

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

This looks fishy to me, like someone not-the-publisher uploaded a scan. The sample has "Scanned by HugHug" at the beginning, which google search leads to some uploads of copyrighted books, not to mention the lack of any publisher information, and the cover picture is pretty bad quality even by ebook standards. On the kindle page it has "Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc." not Spectra/Bantam/Random House that owns the paperback version. The first link on google for "Scanned by HugHug" leads to the text of Excession, for free! The same beginning text as the kindle sample.

In other kindle news, City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett is down to $5 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J1ISJFA/
I can't really remember but I thought goons liked it, any impressions?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

PlushCow posted:

In other kindle news, City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett is down to $5 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J1ISJFA/
I can't really remember but I thought goons liked it, any impressions?

Get it.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

PlushCow posted:

This looks fishy to me, like someone not-the-publisher uploaded a scan. The sample has "Scanned by HugHug" at the beginning, which google search leads to some uploads of copyrighted books, not to mention the lack of any publisher information, and the cover picture is pretty bad quality even by ebook standards. On the kindle page it has "Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc." not Spectra/Bantam/Random House that owns the paperback version. The first link on google for "Scanned by HugHug" leads to the text of Excession, for free! The same beginning text as the kindle sample.

It's also in their nonfiction section.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yeah, I didn't bother looking at that when I bought it on my Kindle. Noticed it when I opened it, returned it for refund, reported it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
oh no are you taking my ebook away from me? ya'll worse than obamer I haven't even finished it yet

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Authority was terrible. The author can write a hell of a creepy wall writing in a confined space scene. Shame about all that other stuff. It could have worked as an epistolary novel. The narrator was always a step behind and mainly existed to drip information from documents. Print the reports instead of desperately trying to stretch a narrative with horrendous pacing.

I have to abandon Southern Reach for Library, Traitor, or Jonathan Howard's Lovecraft detective thing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I actually liked it the most of the three. You get glimpses into how hosed up is the society that's trying to deal with the whole Area X thing; it's actually as disturbing as the poo poo that happens inside.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

... Jonathan Howard's Lovecraft detective thing.

Wha..?

(google google google)

Holy poo poo! Thanks for that, just bought on Amazon.

The only other Lovcraftian detective novel that I've liked was NIghtmare's Disciple. It was part of a bunch of Chaosium Lovecraft Mythos books which were mostly anthologies pushed out in the mid-90s. Unfortunately out of print.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

flosofl posted:

Wha..?

(google google google)

The only other Lovcraftian detective novel that I've liked was NIghtmare's Disciple. It was part of a bunch of Chaosium Lovecraft Mythos books which were mostly anthologies pushed out in the mid-90s. Unfortunately out of print.

There was this thing: http://www.amazon.com/Scream-Jeeves-Peter-H-Cannon/dp/0940884607 in which IIRC Sherlock Holmes shows up.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

Wha..?

(google google google)

Oh, nice, I didn't realize the fourth one was out. I wouldn't really describe it as "Lovecraft Detective", but they are fun books. Cabal is such an adorable rear end in a top hat.
As for actual Lovecraft/whodunit, there's always Shadows Over Baker Street. Mind you, the story quality... varies. But it's got A Study In Emerald which is pretty drat great.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, nice, I didn't realize the fourth one was out. I wouldn't really describe it as "Lovecraft Detective", but they are fun books. Cabal is such an adorable rear end in a top hat.
As for actual Lovecraft/whodunit, there's always Shadows Over Baker Street. Mind you, the story quality... varies. But it's got A Study In Emerald which is pretty drat great.

Study in Emerald was the only one worth reading out of that whole collection imo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I haven't read the fourth one yet but the first is my favorite of the Cabal series.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Ok Scott Lynch, does this guy manage to come up with original stuff? From the very start of Lies, I half expected the orphans to break into a song and dance routine. I had to put the second one down when they joined the cast of Pirates of the Caribbean for hijinx on the high seas.

I have plodded through, but the start of Republic is just dire.

It's all a bit derivative, which is a shame as there is an actual author who can write, perhaps needs to actually act out his dialogue, and most certainly needs to rethink his strategos on naming characters.

They aren't bad, but they are as far from original as I have encountered in fantasy literature pulp.

Dark Intelligence is a good read, it is a follow on from The Technician, not a sequel but it shares planets and some characters. It's main flaw, as whenever a human author writes about super-intelligence, is that the intelligence is limited by the imagination of a human and so there are some DxM "Ahah I was the real Puppet master along" moments. His AI are usually better when he just writes them as Anthropologically flawed as their human templates, just with a greater capacity to gently caress everything up. For subtext, he wrote all 3 books while caring for his wife as she was consumed by bowel cancer. New one out soon.

The Skinner is, imo, as good as pulp Sci-fi gets. It is a classic and should be in every must read list. An antidote to the execrable Red Skies Under Red Seas.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

taser rates posted:

Study in Emerald was the only one worth reading out of that whole collection imo.

I'll second this guy's comments. Just look this up for free on Neil Gaiman's website.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

taser rates posted:

Study in Emerald is one of the best pieces of cross-over fanfiction I have ever read.

It is also really good and clever. I just like to see people twist themselves into contortions about how it isn't really fanfiction (because it's good, and fanfiction can't be good).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ArchangeI posted:

Study in Emerald is one of the best pieces of cross-over fanfiction I have ever read.

It is also really good and clever. I just like to see people twist themselves into contortions about how it isn't really fanfiction (because it's good, and fanfiction can't be good).

The 2nd Edition of the boardgame just came out. It's fun.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

anilEhilated posted:

I literally burned this book.

But yeah, A study in Emerald wasn't bad.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Cabal is great but I meant Carter and Lovecraft.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
Stross's A Colder War is really good

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Well that's definitely going on my to-read list.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Just finished Shift and I'm moving on to Dust now. Enjoying the trilogy, but I seem to be reading a lot of books lately where the protagonists spend a lot of their time getting relentlessly shat upon. :smith: Hopefully I can pick up something a bit more upbeat afterwards, especially since I have both Aurora and Traitor Baru in my queue for later in the year. How's Ancillary Justice for that? I've been thinking I should pick that up now that the whole trilogy is done.

anilEhilated posted:

The big problem with that collection, I think, is that most of the authors went for "Lovecraft story using the Holmes characters" rather than "Holmes story in Lovecraft's setting". Study in Emerald does the latter and owns as a result. Most of the collection does the former and is at best mediocre, even from authors I normally quite like.

You have my attention.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 20, 2015

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Authority was terrible. The author can write a hell of a creepy wall writing in a confined space scene. Shame about all that other stuff. It could have worked as an epistolary novel. The narrator was always a step behind and mainly existed to drip information from documents. Print the reports instead of desperately trying to stretch a narrative with horrendous pacing.

I have to abandon Southern Reach for Library, Traitor, or Jonathan Howard's Lovecraft detective thing.

For what it's worth, I disliked Authority but appreciated it a lot more after reading the final book.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I can imagine it paying off but it's a slog that should have been integrated with a story that had more movement.

The first 15% of Library At Mount Char is good but has a lot of dumb abuse as backstory.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I can imagine it paying off but it's a slog that should have been integrated with a story that had more movement.

The first 15% of Library At Mount Char is good but has a lot of dumb abuse as backstory.

I disagree with this wrong opinion. I'd say it was one of the best modern Fantasy novels in a while. Father was basically creating a god from initially mortal children using an extremely brutal survive, adapt, and overcome upbringing that made for some characters that were fundamentally broken in interesting ways.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just spent the last month reading through The Terror and god dammit Dan Simmons I hope you burn in hell

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

I just spent the last month reading through The Terror and god dammit Dan Simmons I hope you burn in hell

I was probably going to read this after The Causal Angel... Is this a good "god dammit" or bad "god dammit"?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The Terror is a decent 800-page book that would have been a really good 400-page book.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RVProfootballer posted:

I was probably going to read this after The Causal Angel... Is this a good "god dammit" or bad "god dammit"?

It's a tremendously long novel in dire need of an editor and the latter half is an almost entirely pointless slog culminating in nothing worth mentioning. The only positive thing I have to say is that it appears well researched and Simmons does a good job conveying the misery the ship crews must have experienced.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Ornamented Death posted:

The Terror is a decent 800-page book that would have been a really good 400-page book.

It definitely overstays its welcome and the latter half of the book feels like an entirely different story but I still ended up enjoying it somehow. I've read few books like it, the combination of quasi-historical and supernatural elements was interesting. Simmons can't end a book to save his life but I'm used to that from other authors :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

I'm about 25% through, and jesus, what the hell is going on.

The Gunslinger posted:

It definitely overstays its welcome and the latter half of the book feels like an entirely different story but I still ended up enjoying it somehow. I've read few books like it, the combination of quasi-historical and supernatural elements was interesting. Simmons can't end a book to save his life but I'm used to that from other authors :)
I probably would have liked it better without any supernatural elements, but I am a sucker for an artic survival (or lack thereof) story.