Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

spankmeister posted:

who? i don't see it
Top part of the pic, just to the left of the canal. There's some pretty obvious tire tracks and you they go pretty much anywhere that *isn't* a road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

nimper posted:

I see you haven't heard of the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_left, although this intersection is a little different.
Who the gently caress thinks this is a good idea?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Town near me rebuilt a major tollway/highway interchange and eliminated crossing traffic on a left turn. They did this by making all north/south traffic cross itself. Twice.

https://goo.gl/maps/dmDUnFWcL1A2

(It's actually really cool and has dramatically increased throughput in every direction)
I saw something about that design the other day. Seemed like a fun idea to do on 2 levels so no at-grade crossing and massive throughput.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 20, 2015

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

carry on then posted:

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9519716,-93.090167,15.5z, but randomly some of those ramps may be closed or redirected. It's a fun new experience every time I go through there!

Try living here - for the longest time over a decade ago, the north/south 680 lanes were closed for YEARS. Literally. All because the governor at the time decided to go with the lowest contract bidder and they kept bitching about costs or just straight up not working on anything. Main thoroughfare completely hosed because the idiots in charge hired bigger, lazier idiots to do the work and somehow expected things to work :downs: And due to that, a bunch of other infrastructure changes got pushed back or put on hold, so it's a clusterfuck.

On the upside, at least the job market isn't bad, cost of living is alright, and nothing is too far away. There's always the running joke of Nebraska having three seasons - warm, cold, and orange barrel (construction).

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Crazy intersections you say?

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.9235021,-96.7623754,861m/data=!3m1!1e3

It even has its own wikipedia page that is actually pretty detailed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Five_Interchange

And it won an award for something. And traffic still slows down to a crawl every day because reasons.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

flosofl posted:

Top part of the pic, just to the left of the canal. There's some pretty obvious tire tracks and you they go pretty much anywhere that *isn't* a road.

Those are tram rails.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Alighieri posted:

Crazy intersections you say?

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.9235021,-96.7623754,861m/data=!3m1!1e3

It even has its own wikipedia page that is actually pretty detailed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Five_Interchange

And it won an award for something. And traffic still slows down to a crawl every day because reasons.

I remember my first time going through there as a kid and my face was :stare: the entire time. And yes, traffic is abhorrent through there.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Haquer posted:

I remember my first time going through there as a kid and my face was :stare: the entire time. And yes, traffic is abhorrent through there.

I ride under this on US75 most mornings these days. It the only amazing thing to me is how slow traffic is through it.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

It's still leagues better then what it used to be, but it's proof you cannot engineer the stupid out of people.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

nitrogen posted:

This is one of my favorite intersections, from when I lived in Phoenix:

https://goo.gl/maps/J6RjHRYjm5s

Looks like every intersection between Market and the rest of the grids around me in SF?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Town near me rebuilt a major tollway/highway interchange and eliminated crossing traffic on a left turn. They did this by making all north/south traffic cross itself. Twice.

https://goo.gl/maps/dmDUnFWcL1A2

(It's actually really cool and has dramatically increased throughput in every direction)

Hey hey. That's my old town, and right next to where I used to work.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

If you nerds wanna talk traffic and such there is a very old thread in ask/tell for this http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3177805

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
An email from the CEO came in, to all staff, titled "Important News!":

quote:

I’m sure most of us know this… but just in case… there’s a new Star Wars, The Force Awakens, trailer on tonight during halftime of Monday Night Football. Just an FYI for those interested.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

anthonypants posted:

An email from the CEO came in, to all staff, titled "Important News!":

Are you hiring?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RFC2324 posted:

Are you hiring?
Probably, yeah. How are you at helping old people set up IMAP/POP3 mail accounts?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

anthonypants posted:

Probably, yeah. How are you at helping old people set up IMAP/POP3 mail accounts?

Before I started doing actual sysadmin work, I did tech support for a company that provided WiFi for RV parks. You haven't lived til you walk an 80 year old man who claims to have retired from network engineering through resetting a wifi connection, then have to explain to him why a wifi extender might be a good investment.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Before I started doing actual sysadmin work, I did tech support for a company that provided WiFi for RV parks. You haven't lived til you walk an 80 year old man who claims to have retired from network engineering through resetting a wifi connection, then have to explain to him why a wifi extender might be a good investment.

"We didn't have wifi back in my day. If we wanted data in another room, we carried the packets, by hand, uphill both ways in the snow."

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

unclenutzzy posted:

lafayette > american coney

fight me about it

Truth. Also, I loving hate that intersection. I take Lafayette down to the new DC, and so far there has been a DPD horse trailer blocking part of the path to make the turn 3 of the 4 times I made the trip.

The Woodward loop around Campus Martius is at least entertaining during the construction as people freak the gently caress out about where to go.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Gothmog1065 posted:

"We didn't have wifi back in my day. If we wanted data in another room, we carried the packets, by hand, uphill both ways in the snow."

The anecdote about the bandwidth of a car full of tapes? He literally did it, though it was a bit slower with a horse and buggy.

Also he only had simplex ethernet, uphill both ways in the snow :aaaaa:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

It is kind of understandable if the network engineering he was used to was, like, token ring and SNA or something. Other than the basic concept of 'things talking to each other' it's not going to have much connection with WiFi.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

LethalGeek posted:

If you nerds wanna talk traffic and such there is a very old thread in ask/tell for this http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3177805

This thread is great, I spent many hours over a long weekend reading hundreds of pages

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
:downs: "I'll be in a meeting for a while."
:v: "With who?"
:downs: "The company putting in our VOIP system."
:v: "We're getting a VOIP system?"
:downs: "Yeah."
:v: "You think I ought to be a part of the meeting?"
:downs: "No."
:v: "Let me guess, it doesn't concern me?"
:downs: "No, it doesn't."
:v: "It doesn't concern me, the IT department, the guy who will be installing all these things. I have absolutely nothing to glean from these talks?"
:downs: "Pretty much."

I stared at him as the elevator doors began to close. Before they totally shut, I announced, "You're an rear end in a top hat, [supervisor]."

His eyes widening was the last thing I saw.

Did I mention that in the next month, we're apparently going to have nine employees putting in their resignations due to the attitudes of the GM and CE?

I'm the ninth :yotj:

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

:downs: "I'll be in a meeting for a while."
:v: "With who?"
:downs: "The company putting in our VOIP system."
:v: "We're getting a VOIP system?"
:downs: "Yeah."
:v: "You think I ought to be a part of the meeting?"
:downs: "No."
:v: "Let me guess, it doesn't concern me?"
:downs: "No, it doesn't."
:v: "It doesn't concern me, the IT department, the guy who will be installing all these things. I have absolutely nothing to glean from these talks?"
:downs: "Pretty much."

I stared at him as the elevator doors began to close. Before they totally shut, I announced, "You're an rear end in a top hat, [supervisor]."

His eyes widening was the last thing I saw.

Did I mention that in the next month, we're apparently going to have nine employees putting in their resignations due to the attitudes of the GM and CE?

Considering you're probably not getting a reference from here, make sure the phones confuse you as much as possible since you weren't there.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

larchesdanrew posted:

Is it too soon to say congrats?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

evol262 posted:

In the twin cities, at least, it's because 35 splits south of the cities, and W goes through Minneapolis (which is west), with E through St. Paul (east), so it actually makes some sense versus calling one 794 or something, since 394, 494, and 694 already exist.

They're trouble because 35e didn't get approval for a long time, and it runs last expensive real estate. Too expensive to buy for an interchange past the cathedral or the capitol, so it's side streets to connect.

Well the proper thing to do, since whichever you pick to be the "real" 35 and whichever you pick to be something else, the something else is a loop road that connects to real 35 on both ends, is to name it I-235. Wouldn't make sense to name it off 94.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Spread your wings and fly; may god be with you.

I want to say this to my GM so bad.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I love this thread, both for the stories of utter idiocy that you guys deal with and because the people in the worst places always get out.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You either get out or you stay long enough to become the CE.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

Do you have something else lined up? Either way congratulations, it should do wonders for your health to get out of that place.

Also are you sure the others are actually quitting. I've experienced the "we'll all totally quit, that'll show them!" mentality a couple of times and inevitably once person quits who already had something else lined up and the others come up with reasons to no longer rage quit once they realized that they need those paychecks to keep coming.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Also are you sure the others are actually quitting.

Yes.

One put in his 30 days notice yesterday since his girlfriend accepted a job at Epic and he's moving to Wisconsin with her.

Two put in their two-weeks this morning after one was lied to about a promotion and the other was bumped from full-time to part-time for no reason.

One is putting hers in as soon as she hears from another job due to the company using her artwork without her permission.

Three have already put in their notices and will be gone by the end of next week.

The only one up in the air is a guy who jumped through hoops for months to chase a raise, and then they bumped his pay $0.25 an hour.

Literally every single person, besides me, is in production, the crew that runs the studio and edits all the footage for air.

This place is about to be fuuucked.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sounds like a blast. Your coworker who is moving due to Epic is gonna have a good time.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Sounds like a blast. Your coworker who is moving due to Epic is gonna have a good time.

A shot at Epic is definitely in the pipeline for me. My wife is finally on board with getting out of here, but not for a few years until we've got our finances in order. I'll be using that time to regain my sanity and rack up some certs.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Keep in touch if you go that route. The Madison, WI thread has a ton of Epic goons.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

larchesdanrew posted:

Yes.

One put in his 30 days notice yesterday since his girlfriend accepted a job at Epic and he's moving to Wisconsin with her.

Two put in their two-weeks this morning after one was lied to about a promotion and the other was bumped from full-time to part-time for no reason.

One is putting hers in as soon as she hears from another job due to the company using her artwork without her permission.

Three have already put in their notices and will be gone by the end of next week.

The only one up in the air is a guy who jumped through hoops for months to chase a raise, and then they bumped his pay $0.25 an hour.

Literally every single person, besides me, is in production, the crew that runs the studio and edits all the footage for air.

This place is about to be fuuucked.

I'm reminded of a ticket I had a few years back. Some small time TV station fired every single engineer except one with no notice, and told the last remaining guy that he was now on call 24/7/356 and solely responsible for everything. The guy was understandably pissed, so he pulled a bunch of wires and quit on the spot, taking the station off the air. I'm told it wasn't a difficult fix, but there was nobody left who knew how to actually get it back online.

We also had a small time international Korean channel go out of business without warning. They just pulled the plug without warning and fled the building before anybody could find them.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Wizgonzin is a terrible frozen wasteland 6 months a year. As a former Michigoon it would be a tough sell moving there.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well the proper thing to do, since whichever you pick to be the "real" 35 and whichever you pick to be something else, the something else is a loop road that connects to real 35 on both ends, is to name it I-235. Wouldn't make sense to name it off 94.

Got myself jumbled up when posting (since 94 also goes through)

The Twin Cities and DFW are in the unusual position of having a E/W split instead of 235, 435, whatever make sense.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

alg posted:

Wizgonzin is a terrible frozen wasteland 6 months a year. As a former Michigoon it would be a tough sell moving there.

I loved living in Madison. I went to High School and College there and finally moved away to be closer to my 80 year old mom in California. It does get frozen and cold, but it is a pretty awesome place to live.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Today a flurry of tickets came in about faxes not going out or coming in. I call our phone provider to see if there is an outage.

We hadn't paid the bill in two months.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mr. Fix It posted:

He put a comma on the end of the link that doesn't belong there, so google maps was just going to your last view. https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9519716,-93.090167,15z should work

Radium :argh:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

siggy2021 posted:

Today a flurry of tickets came in about faxes not going out or coming in. I call our phone provider to see if there is an outage.

We hadn't paid the bill in two months.
Well at least you got an answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Renegret posted:

Some small time TV station fired every single engineer except one with no notice, and told the last remaining guy that he was now on call 24/7/356 and solely responsible for everything.
Did they actually expect this to end in any other way than the guy going "gently caress this"?

ilkhan posted:

Well at least you got an answer.
Unlike the other callers. :v:

• Locked thread