Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

korusan posted:

I decided to post a very choppy video a friend and I made of me doing some different voices. I hope it's not really lovely, but I did characters like Rick, Bubbles, Bane, and a few others. Criticism is definitely wanted! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkCAXS3_VJE

Hey at least you're having fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Those are really fun to do! I posted here forever ago and got some nice advice on Summerset - just never really knew where to start so I didn't take advantage of my enthusiasm to make something happen. I still have fun with voice stuff occasionally. Korusan's post reminded me of a short video I just made for my roommate who loves Rick and Morty and DOTA. I guess if there are any RM fans in here you can let me know how close I got!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjLHnNtkB70

Honestly, it was really fun just trying to be these two dudes for 5 minutes. If you haven't tried it, making some private recordings of popular characters can be a fun shameful secret!

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Those are really fun to do! I posted here forever ago and got some nice advice on Summerset - just never really knew where to start so I didn't take advantage of my enthusiasm to make something happen. I still have fun with voice stuff occasionally. Korusan's post reminded me of a short video I just made for my roommate who loves Rick and Morty and DOTA. I guess if there are any RM fans in here you can let me know how close I got!

I dunno how accurate this is since I don't really watch rick and morty but I thought it was kind of funny anyway.

also hey fuckers critique me

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

WarpedNaba posted:

Good on you, lad lass. Hope all goes well.

dscruffy1 posted:

I can see the headline now - "Local Goon Made Good". Good on you!

Thanks, folks! It's exciting times for sure.

Recorded some final pick-ups for the game I'm directing for Correnth, Norse Noir, with our lead voice actor, Spike Spencer (WoW, BlazBlue, Bioshock Infinite--and Shinji in Evangelion, which is what Correnth and I both fanboy/girled over when we brought him onboard), who plays both main characters in the game. Enjoy a clip of him talking to himself as both of said main characters (with bonus cameos by Correnth's face and my torso/left arm)! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c808mp6UjOY

SealHammer posted:

I dunno how accurate this is since I don't really watch rick and morty but I thought it was kind of funny anyway.

also hey fuckers critique me

Two main things:

1) Unless you're aiming to sound bored and/or sarcastic, read copy like this with a smile. Actually, physically smile while reading it. Maintain that smile throughout the whole read. It'll instantly make the whole thing sound brighter and happier.

2) You have a tendency, as do most beginning voice actors, to go down at the ends of all of your sentences. You're also already speaking very low in your range, so you go into this unpleasant grumbly bottom range quite often in this read. Start with your voice pitched juuuust a bit higher, and be conscious of maintaining your energy in your read through the ends of your sentences. Think of ways you may be able to vary them as well. Pitching your voice a tiny bit higher might seem unnatural at first and might sound weird to you, but once you get used to it it'll open up much more of your usable, comfortable range for you.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Developing a new, proper website. Where's a good place to find industrial scripts?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

CaptainYesterday posted:

Developing a new, proper website. Where's a good place to find industrial scripts?

Only thing I can think of is that Voices.com might have some but I'm not sure.

Any new projects for anyone?

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

I finally got a copy of my VO from this League of Legends event from Madison Square Garden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8ijRbcUO0g

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
So I decided I was gonna start practising at this again after a long while dormant. So I did a vo of some undertale comics, and tried waaay to many voices to accommodate the comic's characters.

https://youtu.be/mbU_M9vPIaQ

Also incidentally, I have a yeti pro, which is a stereo mic, but only an older mono preamp, with the yeti's white channel plugged into it, I think that's causing it to sound a bit off? I dunno. Also need to eventually get a good vocal shield, as the house I'm in is... Well, not cooperative with recording ever.

That said, no excuses on the vocal front. If you're about to say do a natural read, you're in horrid luck. The character Sans (blue hoodie skeleton) is done with my natural voice.

Rip me to shreds so I can get better again.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

King Lou posted:

I finally got a copy of my VO from this League of Legends event from Madison Square Garden.

This is awesome! Congrats Lou!!

The Joe Man posted:

Only thing I can think of is that Voices.com might have some but I'm not sure.

Any new projects for anyone?

This was just posted today--I really enjoyed working on this one. Poking fun at free-to-play games with Call Of Duty Black Ops 3: Mobile Edition. I am, as you probably know by now, the ladyvoice.

Also put together a compilation of some of my work as Kaede Tenjouji in the anime series Ladies versus Butlers! here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5JCB84xzHA

blinkeve1826 fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 2, 2015

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

blinkeve1826 posted:

This was just posted today--I really enjoyed working on this one. Poking fun at free-to-play games with Call Of Duty Black Ops 3: Mobile Edition. I am, as you probably know by now, the ladyvoice.

such naughty language

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

King Lou posted:

Sweet. Waiting on stuff can be a pain (especially since I want the footage to make a nice big VO demo video). Nice work!

blinkeve1826 posted:

Also put together a compilation of some of my work as Kaede Tenjouji in the anime series Ladies versus Butlers! here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5JCB84xzHA
Also sweet! I have a feeling I'll never get into the anime scene stuff (by choice & location, really). Does it pay a lot more than our average normal rates or is it pretty much the same?

Did another trailer VO for No Goblin studios recently! Was just released today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6yg7qkAFXQ

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I've always had a thing for (light) acting and think it is a lot of fun and always had an interest in playing characters and even singing. (However I doubt I will ever let anyone ever hear my sing beyond isolated incidents) I would say I may partly fall into the first statement in the OP where mom says you have a good voice. Except it just has been random people over the years, some who were actually active in the University student theater where they do a lot of musicals and stuff. But I wouldn't say that is the only reason that I'm here. I study Software Engineering with a focus on videogame technology, figured it would be fun to be able to record some VO for my projects and possibly other people's projects too. Like a friend who is developing a mod for Left 4 Dead 2. I'm probably not looking at a career in VO here but if I'm going to attempt something, I would like to do it right.
So I've been researching microphones for a little while now. The nicest one I've found so far that is reasonably priced is the Rode NT-USB. I've seen videos on youtube bashing USB mics saying they are toys and XLR is the only way to go. But all the videos I've seen of the NT-USB in action sound amazing. (To my untrained ears at least) If I were to try and stay within a reasonable budget but go the XLR route I would have to get the AudioTechnica AT2020 and an interface which would cost about the same in the end. But I'm not sure if that is worth it.

Is it worth worrying about the whole USB vs XLR thing? Again, I would like to do things "right" and not end up with something that in the end sounds like trash. I'm still shooting for something that would sound good in a videogame. But like I said, I'm probably not going to leave Software Engineering and pursue a career in voice acting either. Also I'm in need of a microphone regardless that doesn't sound like complete poo poo when I'm talking to friends on Skype/TeamSpeak so instead of getting two different ones I might as well roll with a fancier one. (Although I don't think microphones for VOIP even come close to the condenser mic price range)

Anyways, before this block of text becomes a wall of text, some input would be nice.

I really hope I don't get a microphone only to find out I have worst voice on the planet. It's hard to tell when I record myself with my awful old headset that I put in front of me whenever I use VOIP.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Torabi posted:

Is it worth worrying about the whole USB vs XLR thing? Again, I would like to do things "right" and not end up with something that in the end sounds like trash. I'm still shooting for something that would sound good in a videogame. But like I said, I'm probably not going to leave Software Engineering and pursue a career in voice acting either. Also I'm in need of a microphone regardless that doesn't sound like complete poo poo when I'm talking to friends on Skype/TeamSpeak so instead of getting two different ones I might as well roll with a fancier one. (Although I don't think microphones for VOIP even come close to the condenser mic price range)

Upgrade your headset to something nicer like one of the Turtle Beach sets. THen you can chat with friends, play your games and record some fun stuff for yourself. The mics on those are fine for getting started and you'll have something you can continue to use if you don't want to put in the time and effort to do VO work.

I spent several years at my college radio station getting used to a regular analog setup so I've always been disappointed with USB devices. I want to hear myself in my headphones without any of the fractional delays that USB devices often have so I went with the AT2020 XLR and an audio interface. Doing VO work is still a hobby for me and so I haven't bothered to put in the money to setup a really nice recording space so far.

For practice, here is some source material: http://www.genericradio.com/show.php?id=MTEzMDY4NzE1MQ2

Pick a character and record yourself saying the lines. I'd recommend reading through it a few times to get the idea of what this person is going through. Try and convey the emotions they are feeling at the time and do your best to make it sound natural. Record a couple pages and then listen to yourself. Go back and try another take. See if you like your second or third time through the material.

What I've noticed is that being able to make up silly voices is a lot less valuable than acting out a part with your voice. If you can do it with your normal speaking voice then doing something goofy isn't too much harder.

Here's what that piece sounds like when the pros do it. Please don't list to this first, but this is the goal - professional voice acting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4epFbzRRU9Y

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Thanks for the tips. I forgot to mention that I already have my beyerdynamic DT990 headphones which I love. So I'm only looking to replace my microphone, which is the old headset that I place in front of me. Looking at the prices of the turtlebeach headsets here in Sweden, one of those cost more than the AT202 and some models rival the NT-USB in price. But while this headset is terrible I think I'll still give those practice lines a go and keep it for myself for now, seems like a fun challenge.
And speaking of the delay of USB microphones, the NT-USB seems to have a headphone output right on the microphone itself which supposedly has no delay, but I haven't tried it so all I have to go on is the words of reviewers.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Torabi posted:

Thanks for the tips. I forgot to mention that I already have my beyerdynamic DT990 headphones which I love. So I'm only looking to replace my microphone, which is the old headset that I place in front of me. Looking at the prices of the turtlebeach headsets here in Sweden, one of those cost more than the AT202 and some models rival the NT-USB in price. But while this headset is terrible I think I'll still give those practice lines a go and keep it for myself for now, seems like a fun challenge.
And speaking of the delay of USB microphones, the NT-USB seems to have a headphone output right on the microphone itself which supposedly has no delay, but I haven't tried it so all I have to go on is the words of reviewers.

Almost without exception, an XLR mic will have better sound quality than a USB mic. USB mics are reliant on there not being any power fluctuation issues on your USB header, and tend to be really cheaply made-- precisely because the manufacturers expect people to not want to deal with the hassle of a traditional mic, and instead just keep buying the same USB mic every time it breaks or wears out or whatever. And having the same circuit handle the headphone audio and the microphone isn't necessarily a plus-- cheap mics that do that tend to have issues with crosstalk between the source and the headphone feed.

The AT2020 is a perfectly fine mic, and would last you a while if you think you'd be interested in getting into VO (or podcasting or twitch streaming or whatever) in earnest. The other thing to think about is that there's a hard upper limit to quality on any USB mics in existence-- once you hit a certain price point, nothing is going to be objectively any better than anything else. So if you got into VO in a big way, you'd end up wanting the interface anyway so you have the flexibility of getting the mic that's right for your voice when time comes to upgrade, since any worthwhile mic in a higher price range will have a standard XLR connection.

All that said, Rode makes good mics if you go the USB route. I haven't heard that one specifically (and don't trust YT vids for accurate representation of mics), but I imagine you can be confident you'd get at least what you pay for. It's totally true that the vast majority of USB mics basically are cheaply made audiotoys, though. The only other brand I know of that makes USB mics that aren't total and utter poo poo is Blue, though you need to look at some of their mid price point mics before that's true, stuff like the Yeti or Yeti Pro.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 9, 2015

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Only buy an XLR mic/setup when you can cover the entire cost exclusively with VO money you've made using a USB mic.

If you can't...then it's probably not a good investment.

NOTE: All of my professional work is done on a Blue Yeti (along with some light post-production).

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Sometimes I wish I was the type of consumer who just blindly goes into the store and buys something. Curse my desire to research stuff in advance. :v:
I'm pretty torn right now. I was thinking of getting an XLR mic and then convert the signal to USB but then I realized you can't just by any old cable, you need a converter that actually costs a fair bit. The motivation behind this was that I would just convert to usb for now and then in the future get an interface. But seeing as how some converters cost more than the AT2020 that seems like an exceptionally stupid idea.

The Joe Man posted:

Only buy an XLR mic/setup when you can cover the entire cost exclusively with VO money you've made using a USB mic.

If you can't...then it's probably not a good investment.

NOTE: All of my professional work is done on a Blue Yeti (along with some light post-production).

I think that's a valid point, but for me right now it seems like both the AT2020 + interface and NT-USB options will both land in the same price range, although I think AT2020 and interface might cost a bit more. Depends on if they lower the prices around the holidays. But in Sweden most deals are scams since you can quite clearly see on price tracking sites that all prices go up around October, only to conveniently fall down to their prior price around December.

Also, do you have the blue yeti with XLR or one of the usb variants?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Torabi posted:

Also, do you have the blue yeti with XLR or one of the usb variants?

The original USB model: http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Yeti-USB-Microphone/dp/B002VA464S

With some slight post-production, all of my recordings are clean as a whistle. I have zero desire or need for an XLR setup.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Joe Man posted:

The original USB model: http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Yeti-USB-Microphone/dp/B002VA464S

With some slight post-production, all of my recordings are clean as a whistle. I have zero desire or need for an XLR setup.

Listen to The Joe Man over me, he's a Real VO Guy, I'm just a moonlighting audio engineer.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

Listen to The Joe Man over me, he's a Real VO Guy, I'm just a moonlighting audio engineer.

Your advice is good, I just don't want folks throwing money away if they don't have to. I feel like if you've made enough money from VO using what some people consider "an amateur setup," then that's safe/reasonable justification to treat yourself to higher-tier equipment if you desire.

Note that you should be doing some post-production cleanup/shine on everything you put out, regardless of mic quality.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I bought an XLR microphone last year, but only because I won $900 in gambling.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I did all my early recording on a Blue Snowball. Then when I bought Protools I bought a $90 MXL mic that was pretty good. Last year I bought a Shure SM7B and its pretty decent. I can't say i notice a ton of difference with any of them. I just keep having to buy more gear to make them work with my system.

Speaking of ProTools... I love the non-linear editing it does. It's total overkill for what I do, mostly. I've used Audacity a ton but I prefer ProTools. The real problem is that Avid is a terrible company that does a lovely job of fixing their software problems. And worse are the people who hang out in their forums. I've rarely experienced less helpful assholes. That's saying something because I read people being awful all the time.

Do most people use Audacity?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

King Lou posted:

Do most people use Audacity?

I'm a fan of Sound Forge myself.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

CuddleChunks posted:

I'm a fan of Sound Forge myself.

Honestly if you like ProTools but don't want to deal with Avid the no-brainer answer is Reaper. Cheaper than just about any other paid audio workstation and has a big and (mostly) helpful community.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

The Joe Man posted:

Huh, cool. What're the pros and cons of a Yeti over a Snowball?

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Honestly if you like ProTools but don't want to deal with Avid the no-brainer answer is Reaper. Cheaper than just about any other paid audio workstation and has a big and (mostly) helpful community.

Depends on what you're trying to do. But I have a great and loving relationship with audition, when it comes to just pure VO work.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Cubemario posted:

Depends on what you're trying to do. But I have a great and loving relationship with audition, when it comes to just pure VO work.

Yeah, I have used Audition for years and have found it works great for VO.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Hey, thread! It's been a while.

So, quick question. What is the consensus on Casting Call Club? Is it worth it to check out, or should I look somewhere else for VA opportunities?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

J.A.B.C. posted:

Hey, thread! It's been a while.

So, quick question. What is the consensus on Casting Call Club? Is it worth it to check out, or should I look somewhere else for VA opportunities?

I'd look everywhere, not really any reason to limit yourself. Other places might be better suited depending on your desires though. Frankly, most amateur VA forums and sites are 99% projects that will never be completed. People casting roles before they have set a single line down to paper. But, if you want to just kinda do some silly/bad projects for fun or practice you can kinda just shotgun applications.

If you want more serious projects, frankly I'd love to hear where to find that myself, since most of what I have managed to find were the kind I just described.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

JossiRossi posted:

If you want more serious projects, frankly I'd love to hear where to find that myself, since most of what I have managed to find were the kind I just described.

Search for developing projects that are 99% likely to be funded/released that will need American VO and contact them directly. Focus on non-English countries. Or keep auditioning/accepting any jobs I post about (which I handle through the above method). If you find any that you're not sure you can score (or if multiple roles are needed), feel free to let me know and I can contact them directly to lock the gig in for you, myself, and anyone else who's appropriate. Melanie would also be a great resource for managing a project. I think the main difference is that I prefer to have actors record on their own whereas she prefers live direction. So whichever's most appropriate for the project, really.

There's also http://voicebunny.com/ but I'm waiting on various game footage to put together a new/solid VO demo video for upload. I should really just cobble together what I have since I'm wondering at this point if a couple of these projects are ever going to be finished.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

All those years learning to English from the internet instead of school might pay off for me then. :v: In Sweden they teach us British English almost exclusively and encourage us to speak like them too. But I sound American to the point where people from the US can't tell that I am in fact, far from American.

Speaking of projects, is it a bad idea to check out places like IndieDB and Steam Greenlight for games that have shown reasonable progress and look for those that need VO. Has to be plenty.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Torabi posted:

Speaking of projects, is it a bad idea to check out places like IndieDB and Steam Greenlight for games that have shown reasonable progress and look for those that need VO. Has to be plenty.

If the shoe fits. The catch is if they actually have a budget or not.

If you're just starting out, you'll likely need to lower your rates if you have nothing to show for your resume/previous work. As far as I can tell (from what I've read), you have zero professional experience so I'd honestly suggest practice before trying to convince someone to pay you. However, feel free to go for it but don't expect much before getting your feet wet a bit.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

The Joe Man posted:

If the shoe fits. The catch is if they actually have a budget or not.

If you're just starting out, you'll likely need to lower your rates if you have nothing to show for your resume/previous work. As far as I can tell (from what I've read), you have zero professional experience so I'd honestly suggest practice before trying to convince someone to pay you. However, feel free to go for it but don't expect much before getting your feet wet a bit.

Yep, zero professional experience. I was thinking of just doing VO for mods for free as a hobby for starters and if I end up with some experience I would try and do some professional work.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

King Lou posted:

Awesome! Are you also the announcer that was on stage periodically? If so, I sat next to your parents in the Riot section and you briefly tripped over me when you went to visit them.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

No, that is CB Mullen. He's the Riot stage manager & swag guy. I was in the Riot family area briefly visiting my wife & kids.

All my VO stuff was prerecorded. One day I hope they'll let me do it live...

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
That's a neat bit of info, I also hope you get to do something live someday! Your voice is perfect for this sort of thing.

That's my head in the back of your picture, btw! Too bad the lilac looks so white, the lighting was not kind to my hair.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
Happy new year, VO goons!!

How was 2015 for everyone in here?

I was encouraged after what, at times, was a really rough year, to look back at my career management log and other records (my calendar, emails, etc.) and realize that 2015 was my most successful year professionally, by any reasonable measure. I reached a whole slew of career milestones this year:
  • I booked my first national commercial, which was also my first SAG-AFTRA commercial—which was also my first on-camera commercial.
  • I worked on my first (two) anime series--one of which was also the first animated series I cast and directed.
  • I cast and directed my first full-scale video game with name talent.
  • I booked a recurring role on an animated series that got picked up by a MAJOR network.
  • I was put on hold for dubbing/ADR for the LEAD in a feature film, by a casting director new to my work who absolutely gushed about my abilities.
  • I spoke at some of my favorite industry events, and met a ton of wonderful people, made some other incredible connections, and had some pretty incredible encounters, some of which are not yet "ripe" to talk about, so to speak, but at least one of which I'm pretty sure will be in my eventual Wikipedia entry once I'm enough of a big shot to have one. ;)
  • Perhaps more personal than professional? but I got the powers that be to permit me to perform one of my favorite pieces by one of my FAVORITE composers EVER at one of the most amazing performance venues in the world, something of which I'd only previously dreamed of doing. So yeah, I'll be singing Karl Jenkins' Songs Of Sanctuary with Distinguished Concerts International of New York at Carnegie Hall in a few weeks. Not too shabby for one calendar year.
Now, I feel like when one's just starting out--or even has been at this for a while but is discouraged at one's progress--it can be discouraging to see something like this. It's easy to look at something like that and say things like, "that's great, but this person is so far ahead of me, I'll never be able to get there", or "that person's got it easier because he/she is in a better location/has more experience/is luckier". And I know this firsthand because I used to do it ALL THE TIME (and still do it more often that I'd like--it's something I'm working on).

It's important to realize that success is relative to the person experience it, and because of that it's never "too late". I mean, many of you are in your 20s or 30s, and at this point our lives and careers are really just beginning. But even if you're in your 40s, 50s, 60s or older, there are opportunities at every stage in life, in this industry and in any other.

It's also important to realize that you'll get out of this what you put into it, and that if you're not giving it your all, you're not fooling anyone but yourself. At the end of the day, you'll know if there's more you could've done or if you truly gave it your best shot. It's also important to be putting in consistent, regular work into the career you want to have, and not just sporadic flirtations with it as a hobby. (Unless that's what you want it to be for you, which is totally fine, of course.)

With all this in mind, I thought it would be helpful to show some of the "behind the scenes" facts, numbers, and information behind my own career over the past few years. Here are some interesting figures I pulled from my career management log:

(*All numbers are approximate, as there are some I may have accidentally left out. I also only started keeping track in 2013, but that's where I really got serious, anyway.)

(Edit: Yeah, looking through these numbers, they're definitely not completely inclusive. They also include a variety of types of projects (VO, theatre, film, etc). But they're close and include the "big" stuff.)

quote:

2015 SUMMARY
AUDITIONS: 37
Self-represented: 35
Agency: 2
CALLBACKS: 3
Self-represented: 3
Agency: 0
OFFERS (All self-represented): 7
BOOKINGS: 17
Self-represented: 17
BOOKINGS THAT FELL THROUGH (things I booked that I ultimately didn't work on; in addition to BOOKINGS): 2
SUCCESS RATE (booking to audition ratio): 45.95%

2014 SUMMARY
AUDITIONS: 13
Self-represented: 10
Agency: 3
CALLBACKS: 3
OFFERS: 0
BOOKINGS: 3
BOOKINGS THAT FELL THROUGH (things I booked that I ultimately didn't work on): 1
SUCCESS RATE (booking to audition ratio): 23.08%

2013 SUMMARY
AUDITIONS: 5
Self-represented: 1
Agency: 4
CALLBACKS: 0
Self-represented: 0
OFFERS: 2
BOOKINGS: 3
Self-represented: 2
Agency: 1
BOOKINGS THAT FELL THROUGH (things I booked that I ultimately didn't work on): 0
SUCCESS RATE (booking to audition ratio): 60%
Some other interesting figures:
  • On-camera/voiceover classes attended (mostly with industry professionals with whom I'd like to work): 23
  • Industry events attended (approximate; multiple day long events counted as one event. Many, many more that I didn't record.): 43
  • Solo studio practice bookings (one-hour sessions; starting October 2015): 12
  • Vocal cord surgeries: 2
  • Career update email and postcards mailings (according to the medium each person preferred): 3 (Every four months; aiming for every 6-8 weeks in 2016)
  • Business meetings: So many. So, so, so many.
I learned a lot just from doing this and seeing these numbers laid out this way. Some important notes:
  • If what you're doing isn't working, do something else. For a while I was sending my agent projects I wanted him to submit me for. When I wasn't satisfied with that, I revamped my presence on Actors Access, and booked a LOT of great stuff off of there this year, whereas I'd only gotten a couple of things off there in the past.
  • Having an agent doesn't mean you stop doing work and let them get jobs for you; it means you allow what they do to supplement what you do. (That being said, I'm also in the market for new representation and will be pushing hard after I finished my on-camera and voiceover demos in the next few weeks or so, so if any of you know anyone in NYC who wants to represent someone already booking a good amount of on-camera and VO work on her own, let me know.)
  • You also have no idea exactly how much work agents/managers are doing on your behalf behind the scenes. I managed a small roster of VO talent for about a year and a half and I had to stop because it took SO much work just to cultivate the leads I wanted to for them--and they didn't always work out, anyway, of course.
  • I was out of commission for about two full months, in April and in July, due to recovery from my vocal cord surgery. Accounting for those, I averaged approximately two classes each month and 1-2 business/industry-related events (conferences, networking mixers, etc.) per week. (Keep in mind that counted weekend-long events like PAX East, IndieCade East, the Animation Block Party festival, etc. as one event).
And I think one of the best pieces of advice I could give is to identify, very specifically, EXACTLY what you want to accomplish, and then figure out how to make it happen. If your long-term goal is to do voiceover for animation, but you live in the middle of Montana, don't have any VO experience and don't know anyone who animates, find a way to breach ONE of those obstacles...and once you've conquered that, tackles the next. What colleges/universities in your area? Which have art/animation programs? Students are awesome to team up with because hardworking art students who put serious energy into developing their skills and careers are tomorrow's animators, illustrators, etc. and if you worked with them when they were just starting out and you grow with each other, you're on the short list to work with them again when they become huge. Yay!

Oooh, let's all share our VO goals and at the end of the year, look back and see how far we got! What are everyone's goals for this year? Mine are to buckle down and produce some new solid demos (both new commercial and character VO demos and a video reel), secure solid representation (in all areas), and book some juicy SAG-AFTRA work! Commercial and looping/ADR work seem most realistic, but I'd of course love to continue my animation and video game work too!

Hope this helps give all of this some perspective! It's a lot of fun to pop up and share some cool thing I've been working on, but I think it'll be beneficial to those considering this as a career to see exactly how much (mostly unpaid--or even negatively paid, when it comes to buying tickets for events, booking studio time, etc.) work and time and energy it actually takes on a regular basis!

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Good post, thanks for sharing that information with us. 2015 was the worst of my life, but the last few months had its positives and accomplishments. As well as some crushing disappointment. One of the benefits of acting in general, is you usually have to sort yourself out some and go through self-discovery in order to perform better. As well as learn things about self-employment.

I'm trying to get my career started full blast early this year. I'm hoping that at the end of this month, I'll have enough of my stuff sold to afford a vocal booth made from scratch. All the while trying to avoid becoming homeless (to no fault of my own) which is a possibility.

If I can get the booth made, and have a house to keep it in, I plan to polish my skills, get demo's made, and finally get a proper start to what I've been working toward for nearly 2 years. All the while this is going on, I've been battling with my anxiety, depression, and disabilities.

My main VO goal is to survive this year, and hope I have a roof over my head, with the lights on, and internet, so I can have a shot at supporting myself financially.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
You're quite welcome! Glad I could help.

I'm doing a free voiceover class in NYC again, this one focused on demo production ("What To Know BEFORE Making Your Voiceover Demo") and understanding the NYC voiceover market. Next Monday night, January 11th, 6:30PM. I think it's almost full but there should still be a few seats left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
Super new to this but here it goes

===

Name: TheComicFiend

Specialties: Teen or young adult protagonists, smooth/sly villains, radio announcer, trying to get a feel for the corporate voice. I can attempt at accents but not 100% confident in them yet.

Tindeck: http://tindeck.com/users/pcasao

Payment: Paypal is the way to go

Equipment: Blue Yeti & Audacity