Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Ernie Muppari posted:

i hate long war and i barely post in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Ernie Muppari posted:

i hate long war and i barely post in this thread

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529135&userid=167535&perpage=40&pagenumber=4

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529135&userid=206010

hmmm......

e: actually muppet guy is telling the truth, but you guyses whole last pages are all long war poo poo posting so lol

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 20, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Did Beagle ever upload the video of that epic base defense where a blueshirt killed a berserker? I haven't been able to find it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
i hate long war so i mod the gently caress outta it

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i'm here for vanilla/minor modding and xcom 2 info

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i'm here for vanilla/minor modding and xcom 2 info

its not like you cant talk about those things. nobodys is going to stop you.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Oct 20, 2015

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Roobanguy posted:

its not like you cant talk about it. nobodys is going to stop you.
i appreciate your concern but i'll still be here to provide feedback

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

okay?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I don't like the idea of Long War so I haven't played it.

It sounds pretty unfun.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i prefer my own mod, Short War, where you start with plasma and colonel recruits, and each soldier gets three advances per level, and they're strong, and real, and my friend

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hmmm that sounds better, but still bad. I wish there was some kind of intermediate option between those two.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I started watching Beagle play Long War and it looks really good, really fun and really different.

So i tried it myself, modded it slightly, tried it again, watched more Beagle and now it's finally fun. Kind of. It actually just makes me wish more RPG's were turnbased, like D&D.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

The Iron Rose posted:

i hate long war so i mod the gently caress outta it

"I don't like this mod so I violate it mercilessly until I like it"

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Which is absolutely not the point of mods at all.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Chairchucker posted:

Which is absolutely not the point of mods at all.

Rephrasing is fun, more so when accurate.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Zomborgon posted:

"I don't like this mod so I violate it mercilessly until I like it"

I mean when you put it like that

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
long war has good ideas but it's a poorly designed unfun slog and some of the problems can be solved by modding it further well that's my post

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Pomp posted:

long war has good ideas but it's a poorly designed unfun slog and some of the problems can be solved by modding it further well that's my post

Strip it down and we'll have a thread title.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Zomborgon posted:

Strip it down and we'll have a thread title.

"Long War designed some of the problems further"

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
Long poorly designed unfun post

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

Did Beagle ever upload the video of that epic base defense where a blueshirt killed a berserker? I haven't been able to find it.

Try: http://www.twitch.tv/miss_jamball/c/5109253

1:51 is when he picks up the assault carrier, 2:00 is "we have a breach :stonk:", 3:24 is when he moves the blueshirt (AlexD) into position, 3:30 is when the blueshirt panics the Berserker.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 20, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

seriously though could people please stop having opinions on mods

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
nm - everyone's right. GOD I wish Long War NEVER existed! Why can't we have poo poo like gimped snipers with poo poo health, no squadsight and requirement to fire their main weapon with no other turns taken from the very beginning, like in vanilla XCOM? Ooooooh IhateitIhateitIhateit!

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 20, 2015

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I liked Long War but I can see how and why a lot of people wouldn't. The sissy slapfight between people who like it and people who don't though is dumb, embarrassing, and probably more suited to the GameFaqs message boards.

Can you guys go back to talking about snake boobs or something instead? Thanks.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Just think, in an alt universe Firaxis didn't balk about competing with Fallout and Star Wars for a Q4 slot and we would all be getting excited for XCOM2 coming out really soon.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Colapops posted:

I liked Long War but I can see how and why a lot of people wouldn't. The sissy slapfight between people who like it and people who don't though is dumb, embarrassing, and probably more suited to the GameFaqs message boards.

Can you guys go back to talking about snake boobs or something instead? Thanks.

In LW2, snake tits will be recruitable, but will start out as A-cups. Tigen will need to research various ranks of alien-human gene splicing to upgrade them

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Backhand posted:

In LW2, snake tits will be recruitable, but will start out as A-cups. Tigen will need to research various ranks of alien-human gene splicing to upgrade them

Silicone implants in the equipment slot if you're impatient.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Phrosphor posted:

Just think, in an alt universe Firaxis didn't balk about competing with Fallout and Star Wars for a Q4 slot and we would all be getting excited for XCOM2 coming out really soon.

They aren't missing a Christmas release because of Fallout. The game obviously isn't ready for release.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'd love to play it in November, but...

Litany Unheard posted:

They aren't missing a Christmas release because of Fallout. The game obviously isn't ready for release.

...yeah.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Litany Unheard posted:

lol if you don't think income projections didn't factor in. Heavily. It's a good thing though if it means the crunch isn't quite as hard.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Phrosphor posted:

lol if you don't think income projections didn't factor in. Heavily. It's a good thing though if it means the crunch isn't quite as hard.

Yeah, they predicted that if they released a broken game it wouldn't sell as well.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Dr. Stab posted:

Yeah, they predicted that if they released a broken game it wouldn't sell as well.

I dunno, it works out well enough for a surprising number of devs.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I don't think there's so much overlap between fans of turn-based strategy and first person open-world RPGs that the release of Fallout is a huge contributing factor in X-Com 2's pushback.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
Personally I'm waiting for the Xcom 2 mod for Xcom

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Phrosphor posted:

Hitting Christmas is huge because of gifts and people generally being more flush with cash then, versus January/February when people are paying their credit card bills. It's one thing to not want to compete with a big game in October, but even an AA game I worked on wanted to be in stores for the holidays.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Colapops posted:

I don't think there's so much overlap between fans of turn-based strategy and first person open-world RPGs that the release of Fallout is a huge contributing factor in X-Com 2's pushback.

There may not be much of an outright overlap between turn-based strategy and open-world RPGs (Fallout can be played third person :eng101:), but the overlap between fans of Alien Invasion and fans of post-apocalyptic survival stories is probably significantly bigger.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I am a very enthusiastic lover of XCOM and most sci-fi stuff but Fallout has never clicked for me. I know I'm a minority in that regard, but eh. Too much brown.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Too much brown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Has Beagle gotten over his LW trauma yet or is he still streaming other stuff?

• Locked thread