Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

If you put an autosmelting lava crystal onto a lumber axe all the wood you chop down will fall as charcoal instead of logs. No time or fuel spent on cooking it whatsoever. You can fill your whole inventory with charcoal in just a few jungle trees, takes like 30 seconds.

Autosmelting stacks with fortune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there some way to rapidly ingest a bunch of liquid essence for XP? I am talking about faster than slurping some up from a fountain with a straw. I need to reach level 42 or more a few times in a jiffy for Thaumcraft enchanting.

Can it go into tanks? I know in other packs i just pump liquid XP into tanks and then right click with empty hand to absorb the XP directly.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheresaJayne posted:

Can it go into tanks? I know in other packs i just pump liquid XP into tanks and then right click with empty hand to absorb the XP directly.
I have to try for certain, but it looks like OpenBlocks may have the cure in some fashion. The xp shower looks interesting, for example.

I was motivated to do this for Blightfall due to all the enchanting of stuff. However, I was thinking it could be part of new quests in BFSR regardless. I could just shove OpenBlocks into my Blightfall instance just because of this stuff.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have to try for certain, but it looks like OpenBlocks may have the cure in some fashion. The xp shower looks interesting, for example.

I was motivated to do this for Blightfall due to all the enchanting of stuff. However, I was thinking it could be part of new quests in BFSR regardless. I could just shove OpenBlocks into my Blightfall instance just because of this stuff.

Well thats what i use, the openblocks tanks for liquid XP, Use the XP drain to remove XP from you or catch XP being dropped by mobs, but what i would use is Diamond Spikes, fans, and vacuum hoppers to get the XP and put it into Open block Tanks providing an instant right click drain XP system.

(it was on modsauce that had soul shards so we had shard spawners with fans blowing them to the spikes and then the drops and XP into the tanks/ME system)

TheresaJayne fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 20, 2015

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I use MFR sewers with range extenders for my xp, and just fill up bedrockium drums with 'em. Then it's just xp rod it away, whenever I need xp, and my experience obelisk is empty.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I was motivated to do this for Blightfall due to all the enchanting of stuff.
Have you not been using the osmotic enchanter? That thing cuts down on XP needs significantly. The only thing I've needed any for is wand focus upgrading.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

ImpactVector posted:

Have you not been using the osmotic enchanter? That thing cuts down on XP needs significantly. The only thing I've needed any for is wand focus upgrading.
The osmotic enchanter is next on my todo after I set up some wand foci. I want to get a purity focus upgraded, redo my excavation focus, and get a shock focus with chain lighting.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I'm the guy who keeps asking stupid questions about old-rear end modpacks. In this case, FTB Monster 1.6.4.

I Really want to make this nether star farm that I've built work. So far everything is great. I've warded everything, the withers spawn perfectly and reliably but the problem I'm having is killing the withers fast enough for it to be worth setting up at all. Currently I'm using Tesla Coils, but they're really slow. At some point in FTB Monster's life, Shock Panels were viable, but they were nerfed enough that they can't damage at any range without being taken out by the wither's explosion, so that's out too. No Draconic Evolution or EnderIO Killer Joe in this modpack, either.

Is there any way to kill the withers quickly? Basically, I'm looking for a way to damage mobs through warded walls, I guess, in ModdedMC 1.6.4.

Thanks a shitload for any suggestions/help. I'm been bashing my had against this wall for far too long.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Any links to cool botania setups, without having to watch a dumb youtube video? The book has "challenges" but no hint of how to actually go about doing them.

I've finally unlocked the full potential of botania in regrowth by getting redstone+glowstone+diamond seeds but AFAICT none of the other mods can actually interact with the plants or with botania in general. I can't even automate filling the birdbath with water because the pipes won't connect. The lack of any range statistic on the flowers makes designing even a feeder/slaughterhouse pretty hard, even when the two flowers clearly explain what they do.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Bhodi posted:

Any links to cool botania setups, without having to watch a dumb youtube video? The book has "challenges" but no hint of how to actually go about doing them.

I've finally unlocked the full potential of botania in regrowth by getting redstone+glowstone+diamond seeds but AFAICT none of the other mods can actually interact with the plants or with botania in general. I can't even automate filling the birdbath with water because the pipes won't connect. The lack of any range statistic on the flowers makes designing even a feeder/slaughterhouse pretty hard, even when the two flowers clearly explain what they do.
Dropping a full bucket on the bird feeder will fill it., and as far as I can tell doesn't empty the bucket.

It also causes a comparator to emit a redstone signal when full, so you could use that to drop a bucket on it when it needs water.

I don't necessarily agree with it, but from what I can tell the lack of listed numbers is a conscious design decision to encourage experimentation rather than preplanned system design. If you want to know the range of a hopperhock, you can drop a few items and see what it picks up.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I know the rough range of the hopperhock from previous experimentation, although even that one is problematic if you're automating things too close together, they can easily interfere with each other.

Decisions to deliberately obscure the working of a mod annoy me. No one wants to build something multiple times, each time finding out you're a block or two off or something doesn't work how you thought it did or you built something else too close nearby. Why some people continue to think that's a positive, not a negative, I'll never know.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

ImpactVector posted:

If you want to know the range of a hopperhock, you can drop a few items and see what it picks up.

There's also a monocle item I can't remember the name of right now that lets you see the operating range on your flowers. IIRC it's just some manasteel, gold, and glass.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Mr Scumbag posted:

I'm the guy who keeps asking stupid questions about old-rear end modpacks. In this case, FTB Monster 1.6.4.

I Really want to make this nether star farm that I've built work. So far everything is great. I've warded everything, the withers spawn perfectly and reliably but the problem I'm having is killing the withers fast enough for it to be worth setting up at all. Currently I'm using Tesla Coils, but they're really slow. At some point in FTB Monster's life, Shock Panels were viable, but they were nerfed enough that they can't damage at any range without being taken out by the wither's explosion, so that's out too. No Draconic Evolution or EnderIO Killer Joe in this modpack, either.

Is there any way to kill the withers quickly? Basically, I'm looking for a way to damage mobs through warded walls, I guess, in ModdedMC 1.6.4.

Thanks a shitload for any suggestions/help. I'm been bashing my had against this wall for far too long.

Sorry don't actually have experience on something like a wither farm but FTB Monster sounds like a pack that'd include MFR; won't the MFR grinder still auto-kill em? Or does it not work on bosses?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Bhodi posted:

Make a manaseer's monocle and equip it in your amulet bauble slot to see flower range.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Also, the idea behind the Botania challenges is to give you some fun ideas for things to build with the mod. They're completely optional and have no reward of any kind, and you set them completed manually on the honor system. If you don't like vanilla redstone, there's no reason to bother with them at all.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Well, I need to do SOMETHING to automate because everything is 100% manual except for flower generation at the moment and it's getting a little out of control. And I'm not using forestry to do it. I was hoping to do thaumcraft but it still hasn't unlocked yet, I may just see if I can make a greatwood sapling and short circuit unlock the quest chain. I was pretty bummed that the sprinkler thing doesn't work on the plants, not sure why they had you build one; it does absolutely nothing.

Speaking of forestry, the Worktables are probably the single greatest item in the pack aside from storage drawers. I want those things in every pack, ever.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Unfortunately all automation is hilariously gated. Forestry requires fertilizer for its autofarms, which requires apatite. Apatite ONLY comes from bees in Regrowth. Golems worked in my creative test world but I haven't tried any thaumcraft stuff yet. The Botania drum of the wild does nothing to agricraft crops.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
isn't there a plant that right clicks plants underneath / above it? I haven't done any experimentation, I was just digging through botania looking for things to try. I've got sizable stocks of items honestly, If I can't automate farms it's not the end of the world.

It's weird the botania quest chain is only like 5 quests considering how central it is to the pack.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Bhodi posted:

isn't there a plant that right clicks plants underneath / above it? I haven't done any experimentation, I was just digging through botania looking for things to try. I've got sizable stocks of items honestly, If I can't automate farms it's not the end of the world.

It's weird the botania quest chain is only like 5 quests considering how central it is to the pack.

Botania makes it so that vanilla dispensers can plant crops directly in front of them.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Man, I so badly want to like Pistronics 2 but it is just way too buggy right now. I can only activate my cool door-opening mechanism about twice before I get a block-rendering error crash. :sigh:

In brighter news, I'm really enjoying DaVincing for general decorative purposes and also as an alternative to microblocks that works with any block, even blocks added by mods. So far I haven't noticed any performance issues related to it, either.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Bhodi posted:

I know the rough range of the hopperhock from previous experimentation, although even that one is problematic if you're automating things too close together, they can easily interfere with each other.

Decisions to deliberately obscure the working of a mod annoy me. No one wants to build something multiple times, each time finding out you're a block or two off or something doesn't work how you thought it did or you built something else too close nearby. Why some people continue to think that's a positive, not a negative, I'll never know.

The Manaseer Monocle shows the range of any flower you look at. If you have a recent version of Botania, you can also put the Wand of the Forest into Bind Mode and select the flower, which will force the range to be shown without looking at the flower.

Keep in mind that if the range is too big, you can make petite versions of a lot of the functional flowers, which reduce their range significantly.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Bhodi posted:

Well, I need to do SOMETHING to automate because everything is 100% manual except for flower generation at the moment and it's getting a little out of control. And I'm not using forestry to do it. I was hoping to do thaumcraft but it still hasn't unlocked yet, I may just see if I can make a greatwood sapling and short circuit unlock the quest chain. I was pretty bummed that the sprinkler thing doesn't work on the plants, not sure why they had you build one; it does absolutely nothing.

Speaking of forestry, the Worktables are probably the single greatest item in the pack aside from storage drawers. I want those things in every pack, ever.

As far as I can tell/have read, the trick to get thaumcraft to unlock is to have at least 75 arcane rep combined with having held some combination of the ingredients for a greatwood sapling (so you've done some witchery). Make yourself a sapling, a wand, and a thaumonomicon just to make sure you're covering all the bases. Rep just opens the page in the book, and holding some item or another will suddenly make quests show up. You need to do all this regardless to get started so there's no harm in starting early.

As far as Botania automation goes, honestly I almost never touch functional flowers except in simple mana generating things because i'm bad at redstone - most of my use of Botania is for the alchemy catalyst, manasteel/terrasteel tools and armor and weapons, and the many useful baubles and rods and things. I'd like to get some more use out of their functional flowers but i usually don't have so much mana generation that I can really use it willy nilly considering how much producing terrasteel/throwing stacks of items in the alchemy catalyst/constantly draining pools to fill your tablet costs.

I tried getting a munchdew set up with just botania/redstone, having seen how amazing taffer's munchdew farm was, but without AE2 you have to set up a botania tree farm and after following a guide or two to set up a warp/bore treefarm I got a tree farm with trees that grew once every five minutes even with like four agricarnations pumping juice into them that ended up a massive net loss of mana. I don't know why agricarnations are so bad, they seemed like they worked well in the video - did agricarnations get nerfed? Because they kind of suck, now.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 20, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Regrowth has really sold me on Super Crafting Frames, too. I have a chest with all of those infusion stones in it, then four SCFs on it with the recipes for weak, regular, strong, and extreme essences on it. Then after I harvest my essence dust, it's just 4 clicks to compress it all up.

I have one for cake (:argh: rune of winter) and one for lava buckets on the back of my storage drawer with essence of fire.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Bhodi posted:

Last time I played Regrowth, the agricraft sprinkler worked fine. It speeds up growth by a factor of 2 or 3, so it's not immediately obvious, but if you compare a sprinkler field with a non-sprinkler field you can see how much faster it is.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

McFrugal posted:

Last time I played Regrowth, the agricraft sprinkler worked fine. It speeds up growth by a factor of 2 or 3, so it's not immediately obvious, but if you compare a sprinkler field with a non-sprinkler field you can see how much faster it is.
The quest has you build the mariculture one, the one with the 3x3 auto-refilling tank and the wooden irrigation funnel down into a sprinkler overhead. I'll look into that one.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 20, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Glory of Arioch posted:

Regrowth has really sold me on Super Crafting Frames, too. I have a chest with all of those infusion stones in it, then four SCFs on it with the recipes for weak, regular, strong, and extreme essences on it. Then after I harvest my essence dust, it's just 4 clicks to compress it all up.

I have one for cake (:argh: rune of winter) and one for lava buckets on the back of my storage drawer with essence of fire.
I wanted to like them, but I just found it too janky. There's some bug somewhere with my install and it starts freezing for increasingly long periods of time when I try to bring up any menu after a while. The forestry worktable does the exact same thing only it can store half as much and there are 9 creation options.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Bhodi posted:

The quest has you build the mariculture one, the one with the 3x3 auto-refilling tank and the wooden irrigation funnel down into a sprinkler overhead. I'll look into that one.

...that's the agricraft sprinkler.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

If you have a SCF for cake, did you somehow manage to automate milking cows? Because buckets are so janky i wouldn't even know where to start - even if you had a pump that could just pump out liquid milk you'd have to get it inside a bucket for the drat cake recipe. Kekkimuras are.. intimidating, haha.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

McFrugal posted:

...that's the agricraft sprinkler.
ah. Than it does absolutely nothing; magic seeds grow at the exact same rate. Maybe other seeds grow fine, but the only seeds I care about are magic ones.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Bhodi posted:

ah. Than it does absolutely nothing; magic seeds grow at the exact same rate. Maybe other seeds grow fine, but the only seeds I care about are magic ones.

I haven't played Regrowth in a hot minute, but I remember sprinklers totally working on Magical Crops. I'm just going to sit back now, smug in the knowledge that you're wrong and my months-old anecdotal evidence is right, rather than reinstalling it and testing it myself. Welpcya

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Wolpertinger posted:

If you have a SCF for cake, did you somehow manage to automate milking cows? Because buckets are so janky i wouldn't even know where to start - even if you had a pump that could just pump out liquid milk you'd have to get it inside a bucket for the drat cake recipe. Kekkimuras are.. intimidating, haha.

Nah, SCFs are a manual thing and I milk the cows manually. I keep a little cache of sugar, eggs, and wheat in the chest with the SCF, then go milk cows, and go to the SCF and right click to receive cake. NEI has difficulty with filled buckets, so it's a nice effort savings.

The standard way to do milk buckets with only botania is to put a cow in a 1x1 pen with an open crate, fed by a corporea funnel. You summon the buckets, they fall on top of the cow, then you hit a drum of the gathering with a mana burst to fill the buckets with milk. Then a hopperhock can grab the filled milk buckets.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I haven't played Regrowth in a hot minute, but I remember sprinklers totally working on Magical Crops. I'm just going to sit back now, smug in the knowledge that you're wrong and my months-old anecdotal evidence is right, rather than reinstalling it and testing it myself. Welpcya
Yeah, there's no definitive proof but I'm pretty sure sprinklers helped a lot for me.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, there's no definitive proof but I'm pretty sure sprinklers helped a lot for me.

Essentially what Agricraft sprinklers do is increase the growth tick rate, unlike OpenBlocks sprinklers, which apply a bonemeal effect.

Serf
May 5, 2011

So what's a good go-to modpack that just has a ton of crap to mess with? I've been using Progress in the Technic launcher, and I tried using OMPi but it crashes on stage 2 of the setup every time. Any other mods I could try that are focused on the magic/tech building aspect of the game?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Serf posted:

So what's a good go-to modpack that just has a ton of crap to mess with? I've been using Progress in the Technic launcher, and I tried using OMPi but it crashes on stage 2 of the setup every time. Any other mods I could try that are focused on the magic/tech building aspect of the game?

Regrowth, Blightfall, Agrarian Skies 2 (there's a goon server in PGS), Galactic Science (warning: grind), Hubris (like blightfall but minus the tech and plus a lot more magic stuff/dungeon crawling) are the good ones i've played that fit that description.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 21, 2015

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Bhodi posted:

i think its openblocks watering can works on magic crops - at least in factorysky 2

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I have an odd qeustion:

I've just set up a nether grinder, and I'm killing them by running netherstar generators near them, so they die, drop nether stars, then the nether stars go into the generators which kills the withers. It's perfectly self sustaining right up until the nether star generators fill up with energy, then they stop generating, which stops damaging the withers.

What I want to do is to vent the RF from the machines so that no matter what, they are always running. I know the easy way would be to set up a bunch of mining lasers (which I plan to do) but I still want a way to "void" the RF anyway so that the generators are guaranteed to always be running. Is there any way to just transfer RF into nothingness?

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Mr Scumbag posted:

I have an odd qeustion:

I've just set up a nether grinder, and I'm killing them by running netherstar generators near them, so they die, drop nether stars, then the nether stars go into the generators which kills the withers. It's perfectly self sustaining right up until the nether star generators fill up with energy, then they stop generating, which stops damaging the withers.

What I want to do is to vent the RF from the machines so that no matter what, they are always running. I know the easy way would be to set up a bunch of mining lasers (which I plan to do) but I still want a way to "void" the RF anyway so that the generators are guaranteed to always be running. Is there any way to just transfer RF into nothingness?

Rather than burn off excess RF, why not restrict the flow of nether stars? Trap them in a buffer, and set them to only feed to the generator on a redstone signal. Then put that on a timer that allows the generators to naturally burn off the excess they need to before the next star. You may not be able to void excess RF, but you can certainly void excess stars. If you are using thermal expansion, just feed the charge into an energy cell, put a redstone comparator next to it (pointing away), then use the resultant signal to measure how full/empty the cell is. Then run your kill machines off the cell.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

EricFate posted:

Rather than burn off excess RF, why not restrict the flow of nether stars? Trap them in a buffer, and set them to only feed to the generator on a redstone signal. Then put that on a timer that allows the generators to naturally burn off the excess they need to before the next star. You may not be able to void excess RF, but you can certainly void excess stars. If you are using thermal expansion, just feed the charge into an energy cell, put a redstone comparator next to it (pointing away), then use the resultant signal to measure how full/empty the cell is. Then run your kill machines off the cell.

It's the generator that is killing the withers as a side-effect of its operation, not any other machine. The problem isn't the generators filling with stars, it's filling their buffers with energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

GotLag posted:

It's the generator that is killing the withers as a side-effect of its operation, not any other machine. The problem isn't the generators filling with stars, it's filling their buffers with energy.

Got it.

In that case, I suppose you could set up a cycle that could autocraft items that can store a charge, bleed off power by charging them, then void the items. But that would require a constant supply of fresh materials.

https://github.com/narc0tiq/RFVoid

Failing that, looks like someone made a mod that might work.