Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I bought ingredients for chili on Friday while I was hungry and made way too much chili*. On the plus side, football all day today and invited friends over.

I used bottom round, cubed, and had some chopped meat in there to add some volume. Had beans, too. And a lot of "guanchilos" or whatever the name of those smokwd/dried peppers were. Got them from the Hispanic food store, they were $4 and came in a big-rear end ziploc. Legit delicious. I will use them for every chili. Beer and molasses also made it in. I didn't add much heat at all to this batch because some friends can't take anything hotter than jalapeño. Just....God drat do I love chili.

*never too much chili.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Rotten Cookies posted:

I bought ingredients for chili on Friday while I was hungry and made way too much chili*. On the plus side, football all day today and invited friends over.

I used bottom round, cubed, and had some chopped meat in there to add some volume. Had beans, too. And a lot of "guanchilos" or whatever the name of those smokwd/dried peppers were. Got them from the Hispanic food store, they were $4 and came in a big-rear end ziploc. Legit delicious. I will use them for every chili. Beer and molasses also made it in. I didn't add much heat at all to this batch because some friends can't take anything hotter than jalapeño. Just....God drat do I love chili.

*never too much chili.

Guajillo peppers changed my life. Praise be.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

My go to chili beer is Black Duck Porter from the Hawkes Bay Independent Brewery. Dunno if you can get it outside NZ, but if you can, it's Good For Chili.

Especially with guajillos.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I posted that in the StarCitizen thread and realized I hadn't shared my latest incarnation with you guys. So here you go.

Chili for the Chili God

Chili Powder Ingredients
3 oz Guajillo Chiles
3 oz Ancho Chiles
3 oz Pasilo Chiles
3 oz Chipotle Chiles
0.5 Container Cumin Seed
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Mexican Oregano
1 tsp Ground Red Pepper
1 tsp Season Salt

Chili Ingredients
4 lbs Bone-In Short Rib
1 lb Chorizo
32 Ounces Beef Stock
2 Medium Onions
1 Bunch Garlic
1 Bottle Dark Beer (Porter)
2 Shots Tequila
2 Shots Molasses
2 Cans Tomato Paste
1 Can Chipotles in Adobo
1 Cinnamon Stick
4 Squares Dark Chocolate
1 Ounce Dried Porcini Mushrooms
1.25 Cup Chopped Cilantro
0.5 Cup Chili Powder
Salt
Pepper

Tools
Enamel Dutch Oven (6 Qt)
Blender/Food Processor

Process
Chili Powder: Do This
Recommended Viewing: Watch This

Preheat oven to 300F.

Trim off fat caps from short ribs. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.

Put dutch oven on maximum heat. Brown short ribs on all sides. Sear the hell out of them. ALL THE MAILLARD REACTION. ALL OF IT. Do meat in batches so you don't crowd the pot. Watch the video.

Cut onion in half and scorch. Same with the peeled garlic. Don't bother chopping it up, just blacken it.

Remove the casings from the chorizo and dump the meat into the pot. Or use breakfast sausage. Either way brown it.

Add the onions and garlic into the blender and pulse to chop up. Then add the chili powder, mushrooms, paste, molasses, tequila, chipotles in adobo*, and beef stock. Some folks use beer instead of beef stock. I've been meaning to try that. Blend it until well mixed and chunky.

Deglaze the base and get all that goodness off with the beer. Toss in the meat.

Add the blended ingredients to the meat and stir. Add the cinnamon stick, cilantro, and chocolate.

Cover and put in the oven for 90 minutes.

Remove cover, stir, embrace the awesomeness, and leave uncovered in oven for another 90 minutes.

Check status of meat. The bones should have freely separated and the mixture should be thick enough that you can stand a spoon in. If not, cook longer.

Remove from oven, remove bones and cinnamon stick, and eat with corn bread.

* Chipotles in adobo is the greatest thing ever, but it may be too spicy for some. You may want to toss in just the chipotles and stare at the adobo sauce, knowing it owns you.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 2, 2015

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I thought it was the membranes/seeds in the chipotles that made it hot, not the sauce?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ranter posted:

I thought it was the membranes/seeds in the chipotles that made it hot, not the sauce?

Not sure, but the sauce is pretty drat hot.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
half a cumin seed doesn't seem enough op

also i can't get mexican chorizo in england but isn't it really fatty and you could use the fat it releases to brown the beef

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jose posted:

also i can't get mexican chorizo in england but isn't it really fatty and you could use the fat it releases to brown the beef

Should have been half a container of cumin seed. Not sure what size they are. The short ribs have enough fat on their own, but you could do that if you wanted.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Ranter posted:

Chipotles are just jalapenos that have been dried by smoking. Canned chipotles are popular, and they're usually canned in adobo sauce; in which I think the spiciest ingredient is paprika. The jalapenos are bringing the heat still, its just that being a liquid and being canned with a solid, you tend to dissolve and absorb some of the chemical properties of the solid that you've been canned with.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

FetusSlapper posted:

Chipotles are just jalapenos that have been dried by smoking. Canned chipotles are popular, and they're usually canned in adobo sauce; in which I think the spiciest ingredient is paprika. The jalapenos are bringing the heat still, its just that being a liquid and being canned with a solid, you tend to dissolve and absorb some of the chemical properties of the solid that you've been canned with.

I know what they are, use them in my chili. I deseed them to reduce the heat for my wife. Ditching the sauce seems like a pointless waste.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ranter posted:

I know what they are, use them in my chili. I deseed them to reduce the heat for my wife. Ditching the sauce seems like a pointless waste.

Oh I would never ditch the sauce. That's the best part. I just know some folks don't like the heat.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I made chili a few days ago (it was delicious), and I've still got some leftover chipotles in adobo sauce. As tempting as it is to just make another batch of chili, does anyone have any better ideas what to do with the leftover peppers?

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
I mean you can add them to just about anything vaguely Mexican/Tex-Mexican. Anything that has a sauce can have puréed chipotles in adobo added.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Tendales posted:

I made chili a few days ago (it was delicious), and I've still got some leftover chipotles in adobo sauce. As tempting as it is to just make another batch of chili, does anyone have any better ideas what to do with the leftover peppers?

Mayonnaise with pureed chipotles in adobo is one of the best sandwich spreads known to man.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Tendales posted:

You could try this Caldo Tlalpeño recipe that was posted in the Mexican food thread recently.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Tendales posted:

I've had mayo spreads for sandwiches with it in there. I've made some random sauces out of it some liquor and other stuff too to throw on things.

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008

Tendales posted:

Make a big batch of salsa.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Jose posted:

As a UK-er, I wondered about the chorizo. Then I found out about the Mexican version.

I am totally going to make Beer's chilli recipe, and I will be getting the short ribs from my favourite supplier of all things meat here in London, and they also do these:

http://www.turnerandgeorge.co.uk/sausages/pepper-pigs.html

which looks close enough!

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Got some sun dried tomatoes on hand. Are they worth adding to chili? Figure it couldn't hurt, they would hehydrate nicely with the chili liquid.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Comb Your Beard posted:

Got some sun dried tomatoes on hand. Are they worth adding to chili? Figure it couldn't hurt, they would hehydrate nicely with the chili liquid.

I wouldn't recommend it...sun-dried tomatoes have a very very particular flavor and I'm not sure it would really work in a chili.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

The Midniter posted:

I wouldn't recommend it...sun-dried tomatoes have a very very particular flavor and I'm not sure it would really work in a chili.

Rehydrate them in olive oil and they are really good in pasta, risotto and quiche/frittatas. I wouldn't put them in chili, or anywhere they'll be lost. Sun dried tomatoes are good poo poo.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Counterpoint: sun-dried tomatoes are terrible and have never added anything good to anything they are used in.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I posted that in the StarCitizen thread and realized I hadn't shared my latest incarnation with you guys. So here you go.

Chili for the Chili God

Chili Powder Ingredients
3 oz Guajillo Chiles
3 oz Ancho Chiles
3 oz Pasilo Chiles
3 oz Chipotle Chiles
0.5 Cumin Seed
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Mexican Oregano
1 tsp Ground Red Pepper
1 tsp Season Salt

So I stole your chili powder recipe except I had to sub in my homegrown peppers because well peppers are expensive, so it's like 4 parts cayenne, 1 part habanero and 1 part ghost pepper.

It's good, although hot, and I think I might have added a touch too much salt. I should get away with it if I just don't add any more salt to anything else, though.

I've got slightly under a half-gallon of beef stock and if that isn't enough for the 3 pound roast I'm going to chop up tomorrow morning (it probably isn't), I'm trying to figure out what I could throw in there. Maybe half a can of guinness and some beef base? Honestly I was probably going to throw in the guinness regardless.

e: gently caress, more like a quart and a half.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 30, 2015

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I did exactly that, beef base with Guinness (about 8 oz), and it's turned out extremely well, so that's something to remember. Also, instead of chopping the roast into small stew chunks, I sliced it into 3/4 inch thick sheets and grilled them like I would steaks, but at very very high heat. They were still very rare but seared on the outside with the seasonings burned on. Almost like blackened, with spots of brown. It looked great, and I'd have almost eaten them as steaks if it wasn't round. That stuff is tough as gently caress when it's rare.

But after 4 hours in the slow cooker they started to split apart with just a slight push of a spoon. :hellyeah: And they still have the flavor of the rub I put on them (simple garlic/red pepper/celery salt with a touch of worcestershire)

This is awesome. The chili tastes incredible, it just needs to thicken up a bit. If leaving the cooker open for an hour or so doesn't work I'll add a little masa flour, or just sit in the fridge overnight to get all gelatinous. I'd take pics but they'd be ugly, chili just isn't a pretty thing. That and m'lady has the ipad (my phone camera sucks) so if we do get any pics tonight it won't be for another 3 hours.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 31, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Take pics. Chili is gorgeous.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Has anyone made the Serious Eats vegetarian Chili? http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/01/best-vegetarian-bean-chili.html

I'm entering a chili cookoff at work, and I won last year with a meat-loaded chili that was amazing. But, it has been said that as I was the only one to bring a beef chili (seriously, the other offerings were sad) that people were just voting for 'beef', not for the actual recipe.

I now have a vegan and a vegetarian coworker, so I wanted to try to see if I could turn my win into a double with a vegan-friendly offering. This chili sounds good. Any feedback?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

EVG posted:

Has anyone made the Serious Eats vegetarian Chili? http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/01/best-vegetarian-bean-chili.html

I'm entering a chili cookoff at work, and I won last year with a meat-loaded chili that was amazing. But, it has been said that as I was the only one to bring a beef chili (seriously, the other offerings were sad) that people were just voting for 'beef', not for the actual recipe.

I now have a vegan and a vegetarian coworker, so I wanted to try to see if I could turn my win into a double with a vegan-friendly offering. This chili sounds good. Any feedback?

Try adding dried porcini mushrooms. I was really happy with the flavor it provided, and they dissolve into nothing.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
Modified the vegetarian chili from a few posts back and added pinto beans instead of chickpeas that I couldn't find and added chuck.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Take pics. Chili is gorgeous.

drat, I forgot to do it that night and now it's gone. We went through it all in 3 days. But I've still got more of this stuff, I made like twice as much chili powder as I needed so it's gonna happen again.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Chili for the Chili God

I made this. Well I made something, but I used this recipe as a loose guide. Specifically I did not make the chili powder, and I just chopped fresh pasillo and serranos super fine in a food processor with onion and garlic, and threw some cumin and oregano in with that. So I had a sort of onion-chili paste glob that I threw on the shortribs. Also the store was out of dried porcini mushrooms so I substituted chopped/roasted (same as onion and garlic) shiitake which worked great. But I did most everything else the same. I got impatient and pulled it out too early so the meat wasn't falling apart as I expected it probably would with another 30-40 minutes in the oven.

It was/is pretty good. Next time I will probably make the chili powder correctly and I will have my prep done in advance rather than doing everything at once and generally just making a huge loving mess, and I will add a step to use a ladle to get some of the fat off of there, as it was I had like 2 full ladles of fat removed and there was still a bit much (this was after 90 minutes in the oven, I took it out and removed the layer of clear grease on top). Also gently caress $4.99/lb for short ribs that is highway robbery.

Pre-oven pic

There were no more pictures because I got kinda drunk between when I put it in the oven and took it out.

Spudalicious fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 5, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yeah the fat is a problem. I think next time I do it I'll cut off the fat caps and try to trim things as much as possible. Glad you liked it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Add some flour when browning the meat, that will solve your grease slick problem.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
So my fiance got me a pressure cooker for my birthday. I usually make something based off Iron Leg's chili.

I'm thinking of giving it a test run this weekend. How long would I have to adjust my simmer time to?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Pressure cooker chili is usually a half hour, once it gets up to high pressure. It's basically magic.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah, any typical stew meat in the pressure cooker is about 30min. Don't forget to use a lot less liquid, though you can strain the liquid off and thicken on the stove if you use too much, so no big deal, just an extra step.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I need a pressure cooker.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Yeah, I ended up using a bit too much liquid. Used the stew setting on the cooker, which was about 40min, and the first round didn't end up tender enough.

I ladled out a bunch of the liquid and ran it through another cycle and it turned out better.
Probably just need to adjust my technique, but otherwise it turned out amazing.

I'm usually pretty lazy when I get home and don't usually like cooking anything I can't just throw together, so there was probably an ulterior motive behind this gift. I'll actually have to make more complicated things now that I can essentially make it quickly with pressure cooker magic.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

xergm posted:

Yeah, I ended up using a bit too much liquid. Used the stew setting on the cooker, which was about 40min, and the first round didn't end up tender enough.

I'll actually have to make more complicated things now that I can essentially make it quickly with pressure cooker magic.
If you have an electric multi cooker, you need to use high pressure mode. Stew mode is just a thermostat setting for the electric hotplate for vented cooking mode.
Close the vent and use high pressure mode next time. Also I rescind what I said earlier, the less liquid the better, too much toughens the meat as it boils in the liquid.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
It was on high pressure mode and the vent was closed. It's was probably too much liquid then. After I ladled some out, it turned out fine.

For being the first thing I've ever made in a pressure cooker, I'd call it a moderate success with lessons learned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

k3nn
Jan 20, 2007
I really want to make chili, but don't have any onions/garlic and won't be able to get to the shops for a couple of days. Should I just wait til I can get the veg, or should it still be possible to make acceptable chili with just meat/peppers?