Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Deviant posted:

This game is kinda neat.

Except that I got screamed at in all caps and votekicked in my first game for not understanding whatever dumb exploit the pubbie wanted me to use "STAND ON THE loving HORN". gently caress you, and the horse you rode in on, sir.

I have 300 hours in payday, I know better than to touch the stove. :sigh:

Wasn't that patched anyways?

Related, I get the appeal of exploits for the sake of getting gear but I swear there is a large set of the player base that has never actually played the last part of the Horn level. I get that it is hard, but it is still fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Well they're pretty dumb then cause the horn exploit got fixed last patch

And yeah exploits are the most boring loving thing. I didn't get cheesing events in L4D and I don't get it here. If you don't want to play parts of a game don't play the game?

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
Rats now rain down on the horn. You can still stand on it but I wouldn't recommend it.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
It seems that they are fine with people using a speed potion to jump back on the ledge, at least there was no fixes applied to that. I guess that is more 'creative use of the tools at hand' and less exploit.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Or they haven't got round to fixing that yet.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Feindfeuer posted:

It seems that they are fine with people using a speed potion to jump back on the ledge, at least there was no fixes applied to that. I guess that is more 'creative use of the tools at hand' and less exploit.

That's the way I see it. It's a "now that's using your head!" strat that isn't exploiting the feeble rat brain's inability to path on or under the horn. You're still fighting them just more on the team's terms.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Fans posted:

Or they haven't got round to fixing that yet.

Isn't one of the grimoirs in that level also beyond a ledge that you can only get to with a speed potion? The one behind the one-way rubble in the ruins of the inn. As long as they got that in there I doubt they will fix this 'exploit' as it's the same mechanic.

e:
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
exactly

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wish they would. You always have dumb pubbies doing that without letting the rest of the group know what they're doing, so you split up the team and they're just uselessly plinking away at hordes of enemies without actually helping.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Feindfeuer posted:

Isn't one of the grimoirs in that level also beyond a ledge that you can only get to with a speed potion? The one behind the one-way rubble in the ruins of the inn. As long as they got that in there I doubt they will fix this 'exploit' as it's the same mechanic.

You just have to do a goofy Super Mario-esque side jump from the lamp post. No potion needed.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
They could fix it by adding some wooden lattice around the corner of that entire little platform you come out on pretty simply. You'd just have to jump down through a smaller opening. Thing is, that setup has the potential to fail if the horn guy misses his jump, and packing into that little room makes you horrifyingly vulnerable to a gasrat. It's not the practically guaranteed victory that you had when chilling under the horn. Probably a lot better than hanging out on the stairs, though.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Yeah, the rats still spawn fine and you have to have had the foresight to bring a speed potion (of which there doesn't seem to be as many compared to the strength pots, at least as I have seen), best you get out of it is a funnel and unlimited ammo. If they wanted to "fix" it then they could easily put the ammo box further down the tower.

But yeah straight up pathing exploits are dumb. "I beat Horn on nightmare!" No you didn't you stupid liar.

E. Especially as people above have said, exploits kinda are an "all or nothing" thing and unless you are premade there is generally going to be at least one person who actually wants to play the game. At least that is how it was for L4D every time someone wanted to be dumb and cheese it

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
I hope they keep developing this after release and just go the Payday route of adding more crazy characters in. Hell, say gently caress the books and add canon characters in.

And I know they won't do it but they should add in the characters from the Gotrek and Felix series. They'd fit a game like this perfectly. Give me Gotrek and Felix doing their best Die Hard impression as they slaughter their way through a city of rats. Give me Ulrika in full vampire mode just going nuts on the Skaven. Give me Max Schrieber literally turning rats to solid gold for loot bonuses or something.

Just go full hog with the insanity and have it possible to have the cast slaughtering their way through the levels. gently caress GW's lovely end times story. Just say it's its own alternate universe or something and let chaos reign. :black101:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 20, 2015

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Pierson posted:

If you're really interested in the long conversation there is a 'Games Workshop Deathpool' thread here which has been going on for a very long time now. In its depths it has anecdotes, data and quite often actual company investor reports that detail how bizzare and out-of-touch with actual business practises Games Workshop truly are, as well as years of Games Workshop fans venting about the company they onced loved telling them to eat poo poo.

If you grew up in the United Kingdom in the 80s or 90s before videogames were a cultural juggernaut, and you liked minatures, painting, wargaming or just generally nerdier hobbies, then GW were the absolute undisputed masters and it was a generally very welcoming hobby (stores run by fans, givaways, tournaments and a good atmosphere for kids etc). It was always expensive but not ruinously so. Then somewhere in the late 90s/early 2000s something happened (I think something about the old founders who were all bearded wargamers rotated out or retiring, replaced by accountants or something?) and they just started gouging the absoute gently caress out of their fans while shutting down the outreach programs they did have like tournaments with comped prizes or providing gear to stores for painting/gaming classes, as well as refusing to acknowledge any kind of change in the industry or technology.

Like I said it's a long conversation. It ends with the answer that GW has run into that weird place the anime industry is at where they are increasingly catering to a small percent of fans who will pay huge premiums for their minatures and paints, even as other companies who are not explicitly hostile to their buyers have risen up to steal market share and loyalty. Kickstarter exists now and some fantastic stuff is coming out of that, and companies like Mantic who make Kings of War in which you are free to use your old Warhammer models.

Do not give GW money.

Vermintide is great. Can't wait for friday!

GW basically operates on a 5 or so year cycle and do not care about keeping their existing customers at all, they just want to rotate in the next batch of 8 - 16 year olds. Their business model is based around getting you to buy new books and rules and a whole new set of overpriced figures. They realised that people who's armies are now obselete are going to be pipssed off and will probably not buy the new stuff so they have basically emraced that model and doesn't give a shot about pissing off old customers. Also a big chuck of their market fucks off when they discover beer and girls in their late teens anyway.

Vermintide is great. Can't wait for Friday, although buy playing this you are giving GW money.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Related, I get the appeal of exploits for the sake of getting gear but I swear there is a large set of the player base that has never actually played the last part of the Horn level. I get that it is hard, but it is still fun
Guy with shield halfway on the stairs can keep them clear more or less forever, at least on hard, leaving three guys to snipe specials/defend from the rats dropping. It's not ridiculously hard.

EDIT: I understand that two Gunners and three Stormvermin dropping at once are going to ruin anyone's day. I mena on normal circumstances.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

rezatahs posted:

You just have to do a goofy Super Mario-esque side jump from the lamp post. No potion needed.

Now I feel like an idiot for not trying that.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fat Samurai posted:

Guy with shield halfway on the stairs can keep them clear more or less forever, at least on hard, leaving three guys to snipe specials/defend from the rats dropping. It's not ridiculously hard.

EDIT: I understand that two Gunners and three Stormvermin dropping at once are going to ruin anyone's day. I mena on normal circumstances.

It is even easier, than that. Take all four and put them under the ledge that the rats drop down from near the horn area. Its the spot everyone jumps from to do the cheese mode near the ammo box.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

If Fatshark can make a 40K version of this, we better be loving Imperial Guard and not lame rear end loving spacemarines.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

It's not ridiculously hard and you can use that fairly easy method to get through it, but at least you are in the thick of it rather than trying to mess with the pathing. At least it is fun, in other words.

BadLlama posted:

If Fatshark can make a 40K version of this, we better be loving Imperial Guard and not lame rear end loving spacemarines.

I really want some kind of IG focused game, just regular troops squaring off against insane cosmic horrors.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Halfway down the stairs is still risky in that there are two spots where rats will drop from the wall both right on top of you as well as behind you, plus from the roof a little further back. If a stormvermin drops among the group at the back then the blocker(s) in front will get overwhelmed in a hurry. Right on top of the stairs seems safer, since then there's only those rats falling from the roof and climbing through the window to worry about.

Alternatively you can hole up on the bottom right below the platform where you enter. You can defend against the horde incredibly well in there, though it is somewhat vulnerable against globadiers and packmasters.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

*Game spawns in 4-5 special rats about every swarm - group comes near to death each time*

"Gonna grab that second Grimoire! :downs:"

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I just wish pubbies would watch your back if you're on the stairs. I have no idea how "Me and the Dwarf have the stairs, please stay right behind us and keep things off our backs" is interpreted as "ignore everyone else and hack at the stairs" within 10 seconds of the wave starting.

Valiant Pudding
Dec 31, 2007
With raisins!
Had a lot of fun playing this today, and it's all kinda newish to me (having played L4D for only a couple of hours).

Is anything known about the full game enemy variety? More special enemies? I also really hope the other 10 maps are more like the Hornblowie map and not like the sewery map.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

dogstile posted:

I just wish pubbies would watch your back if you're on the stairs. I have no idea how "Me and the Dwarf have the stairs, please stay right behind us and keep things off our backs" is interpreted as "ignore everyone else and hack at the stairs" within 10 seconds of the wave starting.

Because it's all about who has the most kills. Let the pubbies handle the stairs and you watch their backs, works far better.

quote:

Is anything known about the full game enemy variety? More special enemies?

They've said not all the Specials in the full game are in the Beta, so yes. I'm expecting some kind of Skaven Mage at the least.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Valiant Pudding posted:

Had a lot of fun playing this today, and it's all kinda newish to me (having played L4D for only a couple of hours).

Is anything known about the full game enemy variety? More special enemies? I also really hope the other 10 maps are more like the Hornblowie map and not like the sewery map.

They have said there are specials we have not yet seen, though not how many. I'm expecting a Grey Seer as a boss on some level. Maybe a custom scenario where we fight an activated Doom Wheel.

I hate to give them ideas, but a mixed squad of Stormvermin and Rattling gunners would be pretty awful.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Fans posted:

Because it's all about who has the most kills. Let the pubbies handle the stairs and you watch their backs, works far better.

We tried that after, they got overwhelmed :negative:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

In an answer to early speculation, a tooltip on a loading screen stated that the spectral horses that Oleysa uses were made by the supreme grey mage or whatever of Ubersreik.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Fans posted:

Because it's all about who has the most kills.

It's about taking the less damage and tsktsk-ing at pubbies afterwards :smug:

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Drythe posted:

In an answer to early speculation, a tooltip on a loading screen stated that the spectral horses that Oleysa uses were made by the supreme grey mage or whatever of Ubersreik.

Still think she's a vampire or something otherwise suspicious. She just sits on the roof of the carriage and never gets bothered by the Skaven.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Taking the least damage and doing the most :smuggo:

Also yeah Carriage driver is a vampire or something, the pub dude is a necromancer who keeps rezzing you after you wipe.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Does the dwarf ever eventually get the same rifle that the soldier gets? It's literally the only thing keeping me from playing dwarf 24/7 right now.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Metrohunter posted:

Does the dwarf ever eventually get the same rifle that the soldier gets? It's literally the only thing keeping me from playing dwarf 24/7 right now.

if you mean the single-shot long-range handgun, yes, he gets that

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

What rifle? the high damage, high accuracy single shot rifle? Yes, the dwarf gets a similar one. If you're looking for the blunderbuss/shotgun, I think the dwarf only gets a weaker double barrel version, you're doing half the damage but you can drop two shots very fast to make up for that.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

So today I learned that bots are more than good enough to handle a Hard run on Horn and you can even make them bring a couple of Tomes without too much trouble, but since they refuse to pick up the Potion slot you can't do Grims unless you're OK with giving up your only potion slot.

Nightmare they have substantially more trouble with. I'm still kind of curious to see how a Nightmare sewer run would be since it is much shorter, I've never seen a Rat Ogre down there, and there's no Tomes to faff around with.

Bots seem to work best when they have a fast melee weapon and a slow ranged weapon. Kruber with a rifle and a sword and board basically choked all the bitches. Kerellan did great with two swords but her default short bow seemed to be a liability for her when she wanted to use it. Sienna...seemed to do very little as a whole, I'm not sure if it's the particular staff I gave to her or if bots' aversion to using a ton of ranged attacks just hits Sienna very hard. The two specials they have difficulty with are Ratlings (since they get REALLY preoccupied with the fact that they exist) and Stormvermin (since they try to handle them much like normal rats, which doesn't work). So a way to erase those guys quickly is a huge boon. Everything else, including Rat Ogres, they handle really very competently - the problem arises on Nightmare because even if you're handling Rat Ogres very well, taking the odd hit from them is still horrifyingly painful.

Also, the game seems to prefer to Kerellan -> Bardin -> Kruber -> Sienna in the game. I didn't see Saltzpyre ever make it in. Which is a pity, because I suspect he would be more effective than Sienna due to his rapier.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 20, 2015

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

How do you force them to grab a tome? Do they just do it by themselves?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

They do it by themselves, but it's at the bottom of their priority list for that slot. So they'll grab medical supplies if they can, a healing drought if supplies aren't available, and a tome if they have nothing better to pick up. It makes it a bit of a balancing act, but at worst you can use gravity to force a bot to burn medical supplies on you so they have room for a tome.

Also, for this reason it actually works better on Hard since you don't start with droughts.

I really, REALLY wish I could force a bot to pick something up by pinging it, which would be ideal for making them grab Grims for me, but c'est la vie.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

I've noticed they do it (sometimes) when they have nothing else in the healing slot. Mind, if they see a healing item, they'll immediately drop the tome. So when I solo Magnus, they inevitably drop their tomes right at the finale where the stash of healing items on top of the stairs are.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
This is the first game to ever give me sever hand cramps after playing. Have any of you given 360 controllers a try on this? It doesn't seem like it needs a mouse really.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Mice are HUGELY helpful when using the high damage ranged weapons since head shots are so important to assure kills. But if you're comfortable with not being pr0 mlg on that then a controller would probably work fine.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Nevvy Z posted:

This is the first game to ever give me sever hand cramps after playing. Have any of you given 360 controllers a try on this? It doesn't seem like it needs a mouse really.

I don't think a 360 controller will help with compulsive masturbation issues.Outside of aiming the precision ranged weapons, you should be fine with a controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

the bash function for the 2h weapons needs to be a kick, and we should be allowed to kick rats onto spikes and other sharp bits around the maps so I can really get my dark messiah on

• Locked thread