Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.

neonchameleon posted:

6: The Thaumaturge can have an extra soldier of any type in their warband. Seriously, peope consider it safer.

What's the reasoning behind this?

neonchameleon posted:

The Skeleton Rating

I really like the idea of this and would adopt it or a variant of it. :zombie:

V After reading Zark's comments, I'd definitely want to consider a variant. I guess I just like the idea of the board getting more dangerous as time goes on. V

TerraGoetia fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Raised Zombies explicitly do not count towards the maximum warband size, read the spell again. There's a separate limit stating you can only have 1 of them at a time.

Similarly, when using the Summoning Circle to summon and bind a demon as out of game spells, they don't count towards the maximum warband size.

In both cases the Demon/Zombie is a temporary ally which joins you for a single game.

Compare with Animal Companion and Animate Construct which do give you permanent additions - those do count towards your maximum size.

Summons (excepting Major Demons if you get lucky) are meant to be weaker than the average Soldier, because they don't cost you anything. Constructs, Animal Companions, Demons and Zombies are all ultimately expendable as it's only a spell roll to get them back. In the latter two cases you can even do it repeatedly during a game (bringing forth the fun image of raising Zombies one by one and Leaping them off the table with treasure).

By 'Evoker' I assume you mean the Elementalist? Don't forget that everyone has access to Elemental Spells (Illusionists can't have them as starting spells but can get Grimoires later). I'd be more worried about Necromancy for direct damage, Bone Dart is a vicious spell for only an 8 to cast.

I had another read through the Skeleton Rating system too:

neonchameleon posted:

The Skeleton Rating

Frostgrave is a dangerous place and people do not go to the areas with good loot for very good reasons. Not least of which is that you attract the undead.

Each warband has a skeleton rating equal to:
Living models in warband + Living enemies killed in the campaign + Battles won + Wizard XP/100 + Special modifiers

At the end of each turn the player going last rolls a d6 and adds the turn number. On a 9 or higher the undead have been attracted by the fight. A number of zombies equal to half the combined skeleton rating of the gangs show up and appear on the following table edge as rolled by the other player:

1: The edge controlled by the player rolling.
2: The left edge
3: The other player's edge
4: The right edge
5: The edge controlled by the player with the wizard with the higher XP total
6: The edge controlled by the player with the higher skeleton rating.

The number of zombies appearing is equal to half the combined skeleton ratings of the two warbands and the zombies are placed alternately by each player starting with the wizard with lower XP. It's expected that both warbands make like a banana and split at this point taking what treasure they can - and they may escape off any edge that isn't within 6" of a zombie.

Killing zombies gains the wizard no XP.

Finally after each battle each player gives a "Spite Rating" of 0-3. This number is added to the skeleton ratings of both warbands (so 0 is the expected number unless you piss your opponent off).

The skeleton rating simultaneously gives a catchup mechanism, an effective turn limit and reason not to stay the course, and adds to the perception of Frostgrave as terrifying.

First, define what you mean by 'killing' a living model. Do you mean removing them as a casualty, or do you mean actually killing them (as per the result on the injury table)?

Are 'Spite' penalties permanent? Other than 'don't be a dick' what's to stop a player creating numerous starting warbands and intentionally spiting enemies to drive up their rating?

As written, your Skeleton Rating system doesn't actually do much to act as a 'catch up' mechanism for weaker warbands.

What it does do is guarantee that games between experienced players will end quickly with both players simply grabbing the treasure they placed near their edge and running away with it asap to avoid the hordes of Zombies, rather than fighting each other over the scraps on the board.

e.g. both warbands are roughly balanced after a few games and each have a Skeleton Rating of 20. From turn 3 onwards there is an increasing chance that 20 Zombies will show up every turn. The smart play for both players is to grab the nearest treasure and run without engaging the opponent.

e.g. 2. Warband 1 has been having trouble and only has a Skeleton Rating of 10. Warband 2 has been more successful and has a rating of 30 (not infeasible given you are counting kills and battles won in addition to experience etc.). From turn 3 onwards there's a chance that 20 Zombies will show up, with a bias towards them being behind the more experienced warband (3/6 vs 1/6 for the other edges). The experienced player likely doesn't care, they can just take some treasure and plough through the weaker warband to the other side or a neutral edge.

I'd note it isn't infeasible for a starting warband to have 10 members (using Warhounds, Thugs, Animal Companion, etc.) therefore starting with a rating of 10.

I'd also note that in your system, a War Hound has exactly the same contribution to the rating as a Knight.

I'm not saying there isn't a need for a catch up mechanism, just that the Skeleton Rating as presented here isn't it.

More likely you'd need to do something like totalling up the GP value of each warband (assigning a value to Constructs and Animal Companions), adding on the XP of the wizard, and comparing the difference. Depending on the gap between ratings the weaker warband can claim extra XP, a bonus treasure, a mercenary soldier who will fight this battle for free, or similar. I wouldn't bother keeping track of kills or battles won as part of the rating either (an experienced band can easily be crippled by bad luck and factoring in their wins/kills would be rubbing salt in the wound).

For game ending, why not keep it simple? At the end of the 6th turn, and each subsequent turn, roll a D20 and add the turn number, on a 21+ (or whatever) a blizzard rolls in. Everyone still on the board drops their treasure and flees.

Regarding the imbalance between direct damage casting and other schools of magic, why not consider a 'high XP' variant? Instead of removing XP for killing via magic, allow it in more circumstances. Did your Wizard cast Strength on your Warrior, enabling him to kill that guy? Wizard gets the XP for killing them. Same for Debuffs. Also maybe extend the +10XP for casting to include out of game spells too, not just ones cast during battle.

TerraGoetia posted:

What's the reasoning behind this?

Thaumaturges have the easiest access to healing, everyone loves a good healer :3:

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
Do base sizes make a realistic difference? Like if I use 40mm bases for some of my models and 30mm for others?

i.e. would someone be justified in being a little bit annoyed if I used a Tharn Ravager on a 40mm base for a barbarian and a model on a 30mm base for my wizard?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Zark the Damned posted:

Summons (excepting Major Demons if you get lucky) are meant to be weaker than the average Soldier, because they don't cost you anything.

Yes, they "don't cost you anything" other than one of your few spells and a slot you could put a more powerful warrior model in (especially important as a more powerful warrior generally includes a 20GP thug).

Opportunity cost matters. If we look at the simple-to-evaluate out of combat fundraiser, Craft Grimoire, that also costs you a spell slot a fresh grimoire raises you 250GP when you sell it. With which you can buy three very good soldiers - and there is no warband that's made worse by an extra grimoire. All warband members are ultimately expendable. (And Craft Grimoire is far from the only fundraising spell).

quote:

By 'Evoker' I assume you mean the Elementalist? Don't forget that everyone has access to Elemental Spells

I do - and they do but at a penalty.

quote:

First, define what you mean by 'killing' a living model. Do you mean removing them as a casualty, or do you mean actually killing them (as per the result on the injury table)?

Injury table.

quote:

Are 'Spite' penalties permanent? Other than 'don't be a dick' what's to stop a player creating numerous starting warbands and intentionally spiting enemies to drive up their rating?

Playing that many games. It's also entirely removable.

quote:

As written, your Skeleton Rating system doesn't actually do much to act as a 'catch up' mechanism for weaker warbands.

Watch for where the zombies deploy...

quote:

What it does do is guarantee that games between experienced players will end quickly with both players simply grabbing the treasure they placed near their edge and running away with it asap to avoid the hordes of Zombies, rather than fighting each other over the scraps on the board.

OK.

The Bad Karma houserules suggest that a game of Frostgrave should be given a hard limit of 5 turns. I'm assuming these are decently playtested. The Skeleton rules have the skeletons first deploying at the end of turn 3 at the earliest, meaning that they first activate on turn 4.

There are two things I'm not sure about - the first being what to do after the zombies have arrived, and the second being an exchange rate to upgrade the zombies to more dangerous undead when you have too many zombies.

quote:

I'd note it isn't infeasible for a starting warband to have 10 members (using Warhounds, Thugs, Animal Companion, etc.) therefore starting with a rating of 10.

I'd also note that in your system, a War Hound has exactly the same contribution to the rating as a Knight.

This in both cases is a feature not a bug. I see little reason you shouldn't have a starting warband with 10 members, having filled it out with war dogs/thugs - the exponential costings see to that. Giving small elite warbands an advantage in earlier games is a feature not a bug, and experienced warbands will all have 10 people.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

neonchameleon posted:

Yes, they "don't cost you anything" other than one of your few spells and a slot you could put a more powerful warrior model in (especially important as a more powerful warrior generally includes a 20GP thug).

Opportunity cost matters. If we look at the simple-to-evaluate out of combat fundraiser, Craft Grimoire, that also costs you a spell slot a fresh grimoire raises you 250GP when you sell it. With which you can buy three very good soldiers - and there is no warband that's made worse by an extra grimoire. All warband members are ultimately expendable. (And Craft Grimoire is far from the only fundraising spell).

You seem to keep ignoring this. Summoned Demons and Raised Zombies don't use up any slots in your warband. True they cost you a spell, but spells are relatively easy to get (you start with 8 after all).

I think you're underrating the threat of Animal Companions (especially Snow Leopards) and Constructs (Small ones aren't great for combat but Medium and especially Large ones can be quite a threat).

You bring up the idea of opportunity cost - well, if you're spending 250gp on more warband members you're losing the opportunity to spend that money on upgrading your hideout or buying magic items etc. If you have Animate Construct you have a ready supply of treasure mules without needing to spend your money on more thugs/thieves, or the potential to get some decent fighters for free with large ones.

Besides which, you don't lose the use of that warband space. Constructs are great for filling in unused space, and don't cost you anything should you want to sack them and replace them with a new Soldier anyway.

Not to mention that Create Grimoire requires you to cast two spells in a row, unless you're a Sigilist or have been heavily investing in 'reduce the casting value' when gaining levels it's not that great a chance.

neonchameleon posted:

Watch for where the zombies deploy...

If you read my examples I already took that into account. They have a 50% chance of appearing behind the more experienced Warband. Which is irrelevant because by then they've already taken the treasure near them or are halfway across the board engaging the weaker warband. The only time having the Zombies appear on your edge matters is if you're being very defensive and turtling in your own deployment zone.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Zombie Wardog for a Necromancer warband, also a basing test. All the soldiers will be ice zombies / white walkers.

Had to pin the dog with brass rod, the Malifaux canine remnants are ridiculous.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
^^ Baller zombie dog.

Everyone goes on and on about Bone Dart, but I must have poo poo luck with it because I've never killed anyone with that spell. Zark is right though about all the minions being worth the cost in slots. Zombies are fantastic disposable tarpit units that have surprised me more than once in combat. Small Constructs can dart around using terrain as cover and Medium Constructs are great tanks. Last game mine locked up a +5 Fight Treasure Hunter (had that buff spell on it) for like three turns. I'm also a dick and spam Imps all over the board and at the end of the game it feels good man to look at every casualty I took and say gently caress it they'll be back next game for free.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
I was thinking of putting together a warband of Warring States-era Chinese models. When I looked around for models, it appears that a big kickstarter just got funded that looks like it could be really cool. I hope they deliver the models - the drawings are really evocative and nobody else has anything nearly this good for the period. http://watchfulistudio.com/2015/02/21/core-product-range-wave-1/

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I need to figure out where this dude got The Best Gazeebo.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Otisburg posted:

That's not a competition I'd have anticipated, but, drat. That seriously is The Best Gazebo.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Update: He reports the skelezeebo is available from Dollar Tree for :siren: one dollar :siren:

enrious
Jan 22, 2015

Otisburg posted:

http://www.dollartree.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=TombstoneCorners

e: sorry, didn't see your update. Of course, out of stock until next year.

Check out the Cobblestone Corners if you're into Christmas decorations.

Or, y'know, if you want cheap trees.

enrious fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 20, 2015

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Awesome, a legit Dread Gazebo :D

Gonna have to see if I can get one for not-absure prices in the UK...

Germ
May 7, 2013

enrious posted:

http://www.dollartree.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=TombstoneCorners

e: sorry, didn't see your update. Of course, out of stock until next year.

Check out the Cobblestone Corners if you're into Christmas decorations.

Or, y'know, if you want cheap trees.

The Cobblestone Creations trees are great. They've also got some nice lamp posts if you're after a Victorian/Steampunk vibe.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I know it's not Frostgrave but there isn't an Osprey thread, has anyone seen anything about Black Ops? If it's a future-modern Frostgrave I'm totally down.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Springfield Fatts posted:

I know it's not Frostgrave but there isn't an Osprey thread, has anyone seen anything about Black Ops? If it's a future-modern Frostgrave I'm totally down.

I have it on order from my LGS, but someone else will probably have info before me - they're a bit slow about things like that. Different author than Frostgrave, though, so I expect it'll be quite different mechanically. Osprey's thing with their wargames line is to throw a whole bunch of authors at the wall nice and cheap and see what sticks at the moment.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I like Werewolves, but am having difficulty finding a good model for them. I really dislike the Mantic ones, and am pretty lukewarm on a lot of the Reaper stuff. Anyone have recommendations?
I know this is really late, but the Skin Wolves from Forge World are pretty awesome. The Event Only version is holding a dead Empire soldier. Downside it is super expensive online - hopefully they'll have some at Adepticon I can grab.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I got a load of that cool Mantic sci fi scenery for Deadzone a while back. Mainly for 40k

But because 40k is poo poo and bad and I dont play it anymore I thought about using it for Frostgrave

I was thinking like you could be raiding a post apocalyptic ruined future city

that's my Terrain Story

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I too share this vision, and it is a rad one.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
and and and and

instead of magical treasure you could be looking for sweet techno-whatsits that you dont really even understand what they are but PROBABLY VALUABLE

and yes

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
It's been a while since I've been in the thread - has anyone checked out the Hunt for the Golem supplement?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Osprey has a SF ruleset on their upcoming release schedule. I've been looking forward to it in the hope that it's an SF Frostgrave. Then I can make my planned TriOptimum and UNN gangs from the System Shock series...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Loxbourne posted:

Osprey has a SF ruleset on their upcoming release schedule. I've been looking forward to it in the hope that it's an SF Frostgrave.
Different author, so I highly doubt is will bear any resemblance to Frostgrave.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Different author, so I highly doubt is will bear any resemblance to Frostgrave.

Woe! I shall just have to wait for Moola to publish his masterpiece then.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Moola posted:

I got a load of that cool Mantic sci fi scenery for Deadzone a while back. Mainly for 40k

But because 40k is poo poo and bad and I dont play it anymore I thought about using it for Frostgrave

I was thinking like you could be raiding a post apocalyptic ruined future city

that's my Terrain Story

Reminds me of the Wheel of Time. I really dig the dark age swords and sorcery guys going into the ruins of the old society and it's all bulkheads and broken satellites and stuff.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

My copy showed up today, when I give it a read I'll write something in the misc wargaming thread.

Edit: It's not like Frostgrave at all. If I had to compare it to anything, it'd be a waaay lighter version of Infinity.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 21, 2015

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Deadzone scenery should work, especially if you paint it neutral and bury it under snow (or chocolate) and have only bits peeking out.

I use some of the 40k Cities of Death stuff and not had any issues, most of the techy bits are on the inside or are easy to overlook.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

jodai posted:

Reminds me of the Wheel of Time. I really dig the dark age swords and sorcery guys going into the ruins of the old society and it's all bulkheads and broken satellites and stuff.

Spoilers, man!

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Swagger Dagger posted:

My copy showed up today, when I give it a read I'll write something in the misc wargaming thread.

Edit: It's not like Frostgrave at all. If I had to compare it to anything, it'd be a waaay lighter version of Infinity.

Cool, I look forward to your overview. Infinity-Lite sounds exactly up my alley.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Cool, I look forward to your overview. Infinity-Lite sounds exactly up my alley.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3253037&pagenumber=55#post451709101

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

jodai posted:

yeah!

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Cyclomatic posted:

Do base sizes make a realistic difference? Like if I use 40mm bases for some of my models and 30mm for others?

i.e. would someone be justified in being a little bit annoyed if I used a Tharn Ravager on a 40mm base for a barbarian and a model on a 30mm base for my wizard?

All of my models, including GW and Reaper models, are on WMH bases. It could potentially matter if your terrain is very bumpy or unusually dense. But generally speaking, it's fine.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Cyclomatic posted:

You open yourself up to potentially having more enemy models in base to base contact with you during combat. It would probably be only like one additional model (125mm circumference versus 94mm) so it's probably not really a consideration.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Bigger models are also easier to draw LOS to and from, and they have a bigger footprint. A dude on a 40mm base can completely control a street 5" wide.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

I had another idea for a soldier. Feedback please!

Arcanist - 100 gc
Statline as Apothecary. Has a staff.

The Arcanist knows two of the following spells, which must be from schools aligned to each other but which may be opposed to the Wizard's school:
Crumble, Call Storm, Grenade, Teleport, Steal Health, Push, Will Power, Imp, Dispel, Curse

Spellcaster: The Arcanist casts spells at their base casting value +2 (e.g., Call Storm goes off on a 14+.) The Arcanist is a spellcaster: she may Empower these casting rolls, and she may suffer damage if they fail.

Studious: The Arcanist may learn spells from Grimoires that the Wizard creates or receives as treasure. After learning a spell, the Grimoire is consumed, even if the Wizard does not know the spell.

Unscrupulous: If a treasure token carried off the table by an Arcanist contains a Scroll or Grimoire, the Arcanist runs off with it, permanently leaving her Warband and denying her former master all treasure that the token contained.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Zark the Damned posted:

Awesome, a legit Dread Gazebo :D

Gonna have to see if I can get one for not-absure prices in the UK...

A dollar tree just opened a block from my office. Success!

I looked for more so I could become supply-side Jesus for you goons, but it was the last one.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

The Lich Lord Nickstarter just passed £40,000, with 5 days to go. :dance:

I don't think it'll reach the £56,000 level, but with how goofy that vampire looks I think that's probably for the best.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Agreed. That is not a cool vampire by any measure.

I'm going to be running a spooky 4-player Halloween demo at my FLGS, possibly a second sesh if there's enough interest.

I have to assemble and speed paint 3 more warbands before then, unless I want to chicken out and use DDM prepaings (weaksauce). Wish me luck.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Otisburg posted:

Agreed. That is not a cool vampire by any measure.

I can see what they were going for, but it's weirdly lacking in detail - compare it to Matthias the Twisted from Reaper, which is still a bit of a goofy sculpt but is far better.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Any word on the content of the new book and how many cultists you might actually need?