Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Pre-dig your ammo dumping holes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Ah yes, the well known United States Marines and their iconic bullpup rifles.

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story/military/2015/10/18/corps-seeks-prior-service-marines-some-specialties/74006570/

Im sorry for posting this. Truly I am. I have to make you all feel the pain I did when I saw this on facebook though.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

MaxPowers posted:

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story/military/2015/10/18/corps-seeks-prior-service-marines-some-specialties/74006570/

Im sorry for posting this. Truly I am. I have to make you all feel the pain I did when I saw this on facebook though.

LOL @ anyone who actually goes back in for whatever crappy bonus they are offering now. Next year is an election year and we will probably get new total force end strength goal. Then we can play the "kick everyone out, ohh poo poo not that many" game again.

Also I can't imagine the fleet Marine Corps is very fun now that no one has any money for training anymore. Even I am riding my time out by hanging out with the Navy since MEUs are the only way anyone gets to do anything anymore.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

They're only offering 56k to critical skills operators? Isn't that what one of them could make in like 6 months as a contractor?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Internet Wizard posted:

They're only offering 56k to critical skills operators? Isn't that what one of them could make in like 6 months as a contractor?

Not if they're not already making that as a contractor. A lot of cushy contract jobs have dried up with all the hiring freezes and budget cuts.

This exists for guys who hosed up, got a worthless degree with their GI Bill and didn't have friends already working in the industry and are stuck holding their dicks . The DoD is starting to figure out you can make an E-4 to do the same job as a 6 figure GS/Contractor and get the same, if not slightly better results at a fraction of the cost. And then when the job is done, they can either retrain the bastard, or just drum them out for an inevitable DUI, Domestic, or just using the N-word on twitter.

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 20, 2015

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

What I've never understood about bonuses is that over four years it doesn't amount to much. 15k over four years? Thats a temporary raise of less than 4k a year.

I mean, unless your purpose is to entice grunts back in that can't do math.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

quote:

"To be eligible Marines must have ... a break in service that is at least 91 days but shorter than 4 years"

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.

Reverand maynard posted:

What I've never understood about bonuses is that over four years it doesn't amount to much. 15k over four years? Thats a temporary raise of less than 4k a year.

I mean, unless your purpose is to entice grunts back in that can't do math.

Well I could use a 4k a year raise just saying. Also if you're smart with money (lol at that being anyone who does this), tossing that bonus into an investment portfolio will make the bonus a decent amount larger over the course of 4 years. Time value of money and all that.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

The marine recruiting officer called me and was like "you should join the marines killer and be a dragon slayer." maybe not in those words but that's what came to my mind.

I kinda wanna do it because I hate my life and feel that going to marine OCS and TBS is what I deserve for constant masturbating.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Booblord Zagats posted:

Not if they're not already making that as a contractor. A lot of cushy contract jobs have dried up with all the hiring freezes and budget cuts.

This exists for guys who hosed up, got a worthless degree with their GI Bill and didn't have friends already working in the industry and are stuck holding their dicks . The DoD is starting to figure out you can make an E-4 to do the same job as a 6 figure GS/Contractor and get the same, if not slightly better results at a fraction of the cost. And then when the job is done, they can either retrain the bastard, or just drum them out for an inevitable DUI, Domestic, or just using the N-word on twitter.

But isn't it the lobbyists job to convince the congressmen that control the DoD's budget that it's in their best interest to pay way too much for a contractor to do the same job?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

MurderBot posted:

The marine recruiting officer called me and was like "you should join the marines killer and be a dragon slayer." maybe not in those words but that's what came to my mind.

I kinda wanna do it because I hate my life and feel that going to marine OCS and TBS is what I deserve for constant masturbating.

do it faggit

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dg3Us9ld2g

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Don't internet bully me or I'll do it.. I'll go to MEPS god damnit and get fisted for the marines so help me...

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

MurderBot posted:

Don't internet bully me or I'll do it.. I'll go to MEPS god damnit and get fisted for the marines so help me...

:jackbud:

Africanus
Mar 13, 2007
The Barcid Slayer

Booblord Zagats posted:

Same can be said of the Harrier but with an asterisk showing how many pilots it has killed

Africanus
Mar 13, 2007
The Barcid Slayer

MurderBot posted:

If you go as anything but a pilot...

Also I heard 300 pfters are getting passed over for affirmative action cases. Any truth to this? Where is your OSO?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Africanus posted:

Also I heard 300 pfters are getting passed over for affirmative action cases. Any truth to this? Where is your OSO?

I heard of 300 pfters getting passed over for people with good grades or leaderships skills. Any truth to this?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Africanus posted:

Also I heard 300 pfters don't necessarily make great leaders

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Africanus posted:

I have a meeting with him, very impromptu meeting early next week, he's out of Albuquerque NM.

I'm gonna sit down, continue to weigh my options over everything. I have a masters *in public health* and being a nurse is like sucking the dick but not from the back, from the front which isn't very titilating. While a Masters degree is "ooh ahh" public health entities make probably equivalent to any bachelors degree holding chum who gets an entry level job in their field for most situations, but also used as the degree to pursue a PhD in.

Whoever the rep down in southern NM is, my estimated PFT is roughly 275 *lacking pull-ups but maxing the run/crunches* and thinks that for selection come the summer OCS shouldn't be difficult to put me in. I'd be going in at the age of 29 but with 6.5 years of prior military said that an age wavier wouldn't be a big deal.

The only thing that seems somewhat worthwhile is maybe doing Marine Reserves as an officer, but I literally know jack poo poo about how that all works. One had mentioned that my MOS and billeting is based upon the needs of the marines, so whatever I get is where I drill, or I can choose where I want to "live" but then my MOS is based upon the surrounding area, and one said that you choose your MOS but then you're forced to move wherever that reserve unit is, etc etc etc.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 21, 2015

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

MurderBot posted:

The only thing that seems somewhat worthwhile is maybe doing Marine Reserves as an officer, but I literally know jack poo poo about how that all works. One had mentioned that my MOS and billeting is based upon the needs of the marines, so whatever I get is where I drill, or I can choose where I want to "live" but then my MOS is based upon the surrounding area, and one said that you choose your MOS but then you're forced to move wherever that reserve unit is, etc etc etc.

Worked for Rob Riggle, I guess

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Booblord Zagats posted:

Worked for Rob Riggle, I guess

Maybe when I achieve the rank of Lt.Col I can get a job at Comedy Central?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

MurderBot posted:

Maybe when I achieve the rank of Lt.Col I can get a job at Comedy Central?

Fox Sports and Holiday Inn Express

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I'll take what I can get I suppose.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

MurderBot posted:

I'll take what I can get I suppose.

Nah, thats what he got. You'll probably end up with a PBS filler show and living in a Super 8

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Can I negotiate for maybe TBS and La Quinta Inn?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

MurderBot posted:

You have to be a fall guy for an arms deal first.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

MurderBot posted:

Those are both upgrades over Rob and lets be honest, he's got charisma and a great voice. Your best hope is the CW and getting paid in gift certificates for Best Western

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I can probably suck a mean dick, haven't tried but I mean if we're talking career goals and better places to stay at night....

Africanus
Mar 13, 2007
The Barcid Slayer

joat mon posted:

I heard of 300 pfters getting passed over for people with good grades or leaderships skills. Any truth to this?

Good grades? You need a 2.0 to be a ground officer. Let's face it if you rocked college with a technical degree what do you want to be a Marine Officer for? Patriotism? 5 years into a 12 year commitment let me know how that goes.

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

can you imagine getting out of the marine corpse then being like, nah gently caress it ill come back in.

loving lol

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I'm thinking I may just wait until the next conflict happens where I can shoot *insert colored person here* and go back in. Especially if it's like the last one when were vastly unprepared I'm sure I can get in somewhere at whatever age to do whatever.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
no infantryman wants to re-enlist in the fiercest fighting force in the world

let that sink in

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
With regards to the reserves, officers and senior enlisted often live a ways away from their duty stations. If you live far enough away they have to pay you a stipend to help with travel. Not a blank check or provided a ticket or anything like that.

I drill in NY and we had guys coming in from Minnesota, Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, etc.

I can't speak to specifics about how reserve officers get assigned, but the distance thing is universal to my understanding.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

DaNerd posted:

With regards to the reserves, officers and senior enlisted often live a ways away from their duty stations. If you live far enough away they have to pay you a stipend to help with travel. Not a blank check or provided a ticket or anything like that.

I drill in NY and we had guys coming in from Minnesota, Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, etc.

I can't speak to specifics about how reserve officers get assigned, but the distance thing is universal to my understanding.

Yeah I have a family friend who was a reserve major. He lived in Southern California and worked as a high patrolman but drilled outside of Pittsburgh as a company commander and later XO. It was weird seeing this dude fly across the country every month for drill.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Pretty much every single reservist pilot does this, but like 80% of them work for the airlines as their day job so they get free flights.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

overdesigned posted:

Pretty much every single reservist pilot does this, but like 80% of them work for the airlines as their day job so they get free flights.

Yeah. We had one pilot in our squadron, based in Southern California, fly in from the Florida pan-handle every month. He flew Cessnas for UPS

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Yeah I have a family friend who was a reserve major. He lived in Southern California and worked as a high patrolman but drilled outside of Pittsburgh as a company commander and later XO. It was weird seeing this dude fly across the country every month for drill.

I've always wondered if cop reservists ever wind up in situations where their police chief is under their command in the reserves or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

Reverand maynard posted:

I've always wondered if cop reservists ever wind up in situations where their police chief is under their command in the reserves or something.

That would be very unlikely because those careers usually parallel each other closely as they tend to get hired to the PD when they get back from MOS school. So the police chief with 15 years in the force also has 15 years in the reserves.

What can happen, and does happen often, is large disparities in income/status. You can have SNCOs who are living around the poverty line in charge of LCpls who own their own businesses and make 6 figures. So that gets weird if you stop to think about it. However, the real world mostly ceases to exist during drill and then you go your own way until next month.

• Locked thread