Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

KinkyJohn posted:

So are you going to tell us what kind of Frankenstein experiment you're planning?

Photography equipment in general is overpriced for what you get, so you might have to put together your own highly explosive contraption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

KinkyJohn posted:

So are you going to tell us what kind of Frankenstein experiment you're planning?

Photography equipment in general is overpriced for what you get, so you might have to put together your own highly explosive contraption.

He has to kill a lot of Gremlins.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

thetzar posted:

He has to kill a lot of Gremlins.

I think it's a vampire tattoo parlor

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I'm doing a stop motion shoot in front of a greenscreen soon.

I was thinking, maybe I could trigger a few cameras on tripods at once from a few different angles if we used some triggers or something. Can you do this with triggers like the yongnuo 603 iis/605 (even other models) or is this an elaborate pipedream? Is there a limit of triggers/cameras/flashes where lag is introduced?

Would save us a shitload of time. Also, we could do sweet rotating camera moves.
I've got my 5dmk2, a Samsung nx500, a couple of other canon crop cameras from friends.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Most simple triggers are broadcast, so as long as some of the cameras used don't introduce delay (e.g. autofocus) they should all trigger at the same time, as long as they can receive the signal.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

nielsm posted:

Most simple triggers are broadcast, so as long as some of the cameras used don't introduce delay (e.g. autofocus) they should all trigger at the same time, as long as they can receive the signal.

Thanks a heap, makes sense. Time to do some testing!

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

This may not be the correct place, so if someone could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated!

I photograph cars all day, every day, and have been working on the perfect setup. The photo below is what I built, and while it is working I feel like it could be much better. I couldn't find any type of actual diffuser material so I ended up buying a roll of ripstop sail cloth and having it stitched together to fit the box. The lights are fluorescent and I would like to change them to LED. It definitely works, but its not great.

I need to get rid of the reflections of the lights on the car as much as possible.

Here is a sample photo of a car that I shot on there:

I guess I will leave it at that and answer any questions anyone may have for me.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Wouldn't a polarizing filter cut down on a lot of that reflection? Or maybe flag out a ton of spots :v:

I don't know that there's much you can do because the entire surface of a car is reflective and you're fairly close to the light source.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

1st AD posted:

Wouldn't a polarizing filter cut down on a lot of that reflection? Or maybe flag out a ton of spots :v:

I don't know that there's much you can do because the entire surface of a car is reflective and you're fairly close to the light source.

I already use a polarizing filter, it definitely helps but the reflections drive me insane.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

:aaa: Awesome. If you can pull the fluorescents back from the diffusion, that should help to even out the reflections. However if you switch to LED's I get the feeling it will just be a billion little white dots instead of the fluorescent tube outline with your current setup which might be more irritating.

Occasionally behemoths like this go up for sale, Someone in my area on CL had a 10x10 wall-mounted box with profoto mounts that I should have picked up on general principle :negative:

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
If you can't create more space between the diffusion and lights, could you flip the lights and bounce it off of another surface like white foam core? You'll lose a lot of light transmission, but it would cut back on some hot spots.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Just dimming the lights and slowing the shutter speed would probably help. It's not like the car is going to move and blur the shot.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How would that help? It's not like the light sources spread over time or something. You'd have the same shot.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

The diffuser will be more effective at softening the lights when the hot spots aren't so hot? Or so I assume.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They aren't like temperature hot spots. If you JUST dim the lights and lengthen your exposure time to bring it to and equivalent brightness it'll look exactly the same other than color shift from dimming the lights.

I'd try adding more space between the lights and the final layer of diffusion, and then add an middle layer of diffusion between. Or maybe get thin fixtures that you can bounce off white backing through the diffusion. Maybe look at how Chimera builds theirs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg-iOOHJCVY

edit: also, I don't know how it will compare to your ripstop sailcloth but you can get diffusion in rolls: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Size%2fType_54%22x22%27+Rolls&ci=24480&N=3943751134+4277998294+4261208238+4277998295 or you can get big overhead silks: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Fabric+Type_Diffusion%2fTranslucent&ci=1341&N=4062040405+4100277732+4100277733+4281147796

powderific fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 7, 2015

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

If you want to cut down on reflections you're going to have to be a lot more targeted with your lighting. Meaning multiple, very controlled sources, instead of one big rear end light up top.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

People actually photograph cars instead of just cranking out 3d renders? :aaaaa: There was an interesting post in the 3DCG thread of CC from a car designer about how they shape the panels to make the reflections look nice.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I understand the types of flash, exposure compensation, and flash compensation. As soon as I try and put all three of them together, my photos fall apart. What should I be reading/watching to understand correctly?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

huhu posted:

I understand the types of flash, exposure compensation, and flash compensation. As soon as I try and put all three of them together, my photos fall apart. What should I be reading/watching to understand correctly?

Try to get your hands on Zack Arias' One Light Workshop videos.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

huhu posted:

What do you mean by 'fall apart'? Are the flashes not working correctly? Is it a color problem because you're not gelling them to match ambient? Are the flashes working correctly but the pictures are boring?

If you can, set them on manual so you don't have to futz with automatic computer stuff while you sort it out.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

red19fire posted:

What do you mean by 'fall apart'? Are the flashes not working correctly? Is it a color problem because you're not gelling them to match ambient? Are the flashes working correctly but the pictures are boring?

If you can, set them on manual so you don't have to futz with automatic computer stuff while you sort it out.

You're thinking much more advanced than where I'm at. No colors, no gelling, a single on camera flash (RX100). I can't take a proper exposure with subject and background.

As for the video rec above, a seven hour video for $75? I feel like my question is pretty basic.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

huhu posted:

You're thinking much more advanced than where I'm at. No colors, no gelling, a single on camera flash (RX100). I can't take a proper exposure with subject and background.

As for the video rec above, a seven hour video for $75? I feel like my question is pretty basic.

Ok, so this is a exposure balance problem. What I think is happening is that the camera is exposing so the flash lights the subject correctly but the background is too dark. Or, if you turn the flash off, it's exposing correctly but the shutter speed is too slow and blurs the subject?

So, you can go to full manual control, set a fast aperture to control the flash exposure and a slow shutter to control the background exposure. Or, there may be a menu setting for night flash/night portrait/slow flash sync, something like that that can do it automatically.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

powderific posted:

They aren't like temperature hot spots. If you JUST dim the lights and lengthen your exposure time to bring it to and equivalent brightness it'll look exactly the same other than color shift from dimming the lights.

I'd try adding more space between the lights and the final layer of diffusion, and then add an middle layer of diffusion between. Or maybe get thin fixtures that you can bounce off white backing through the diffusion. Maybe look at how Chimera builds theirs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg-iOOHJCVY

edit: also, I don't know how it will compare to your ripstop sailcloth but you can get diffusion in rolls: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Size%2fType_54%22x22%27+Rolls&ci=24480&N=3943751134+4277998294+4261208238+4277998295 or you can get big overhead silks: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Fabric+Type_Diffusion%2fTranslucent&ci=1341&N=4062040405+4100277732+4100277733+4281147796

Oh, excellent links! I don't mind some of the reflections, but with their being so many lights there are just too many. I am going to try moving the lights up in the box some and see how that looks.

Turning the lights upside down and having them reflect down is an interesting idea, I just wonder 1. what I would do about the open top of the "box" to reflect the light down, and 2. How much light I would lose that way. I should try to recreate on a small scale to do some testing.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

red19fire posted:

Ok, so this is a exposure balance problem. What I think is happening is that the camera is exposing so the flash lights the subject correctly but the background is too dark. Or, if you turn the flash off, it's exposing correctly but the shutter speed is too slow and blurs the subject?

So, you can go to full manual control, set a fast aperture to control the flash exposure and a slow shutter to control the background exposure. Or, there may be a menu setting for night flash/night portrait/slow flash sync, something like that that can do it automatically.

Is it possible to operate in aperture priority or should I be switching to manual to shoot for proper fore/background exposure with flash?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

huhu posted:

Is it possible to operate in aperture priority or should I be switching to manual to shoot for proper fore/background exposure with flash?

Possible, perhaps. You should work in Manual when using flashes though, 100%.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

huhu posted:

You can, but it will default to lighting the subject with the flash and mostly ignoring the background. Set it to Aperture and Slow Sync.

ZombieGravy
Feb 5, 2008

College is letting me loose with one of their Pentax film cameras over the weekend and I was thinking about having a play with off camera flash. I've used flash with my DSLR but I usually kinda trial and error it to get the right exposure or use TTL which isn't really an option with film. Don't suppose anyone has any advice or knows of any good tutorial sites for this kind of thing?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

rocketpig posted:

College is letting me loose with one of their Pentax film cameras over the weekend and I was thinking about having a play with off camera flash. I've used flash with my DSLR but I usually kinda trial and error it to get the right exposure or use TTL which isn't really an option with film. Don't suppose anyone has any advice or knows of any good tutorial sites for this kind of thing?

Get the levels right by testing with your digital, or get a http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BTCJNG

ZombieGravy
Feb 5, 2008

timrenzi574 posted:

Get the levels right by testing with your digital, or get a http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BTCJNG

I did consider that but part of me feels like it would be cheating. Also defo going to get a light metre as soon as student finance get their asses in gear.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

rocketpig posted:

I did consider that but part of me feels like it would be cheating. Also defo going to get a light metre as soon as student finance get their asses in gear.

Here then, have at it: http://www.scantips.com/lights/flashbasics1c.html

There's a basic GN calculator on there. You're going to have to guess at any modifiers or bouncing as far as light loss goes though.

ZombieGravy
Feb 5, 2008

timrenzi574 posted:

Here then, have at it: http://www.scantips.com/lights/flashbasics1c.html

There's a basic GN calculator on there. You're going to have to guess at any modifiers or bouncing as far as light loss goes though.

Awesome, ta :)

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

rocketpig posted:

I did consider that but part of me feels like it would be cheating.

Professionals "cheat" by using a light meter. Seriously just use your dslr for your first time, ain't nobody going to look down on you for that.

ZombieGravy
Feb 5, 2008

RangerScum posted:

Professionals "cheat" by using a light meter. Seriously just use your dslr for your first time, ain't nobody going to look down on you for that.

I ended up having a go at some light painting and taking pics of random people's dogs in the end. We are processing them tomorrow in class so will see how they turned out. Also, student finance finally came through so I can now get a light meter :)

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
What's the best option under $250 for a off-site Canon flash? I really need one, but i also really need other things more.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Nameless Dread posted:

What's the best option under $250 for a off-site Canon flash? I really need one, but i also really need other things more.

Why does it need to be Canon?

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich

RangerScum posted:

Why does it need to be Canon?

Sorry, i just meant it had to be compatible with one. I'm all for those Yonguos or whatever goons have been raving about. Just want the best bang for the buck.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Nameless Dread posted:

Sorry, i just meant it had to be compatible with one. I'm all for those Yonguos or whatever goons have been raving about. Just want the best bang for the buck.

If you want battery operated hotshoe flash:

TTL? Yongnuo 568EXII
Manual? Yongnuo 560III

If you want cheap monolights:

Godox makes several low budget models

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich

timrenzi574 posted:

TTL? Yongnuo 568EXII

Wow, what a price! Definitely seems like a good contender.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have speedlight compatible softboxes they like? I have an impact quickbox that's OK, but doesn't quite fit my SB910 with Pocketwizard TT5. The softbox part also falls off the ring thing easily. On the other hand, it's proven to be pretty sturdy and it's super fast to setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

That's the one thing I didn't like about the tt5, it made the speedlight too 'tall' to fit most softboxes. Strobist mentioned it years ago but there's this adapter that will allow speedlights to lay on their side using an elastic strap, that can help to get it in the centerline of most modifiers.

That being said, can't go wrong with a softlighter. Gorgeous, even light; the go-to tool of Annie Leibovitz. I have a 5 foot one, and for :getin: reasons a 7 footer just in case.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 21, 2015

• Locked thread