Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Covok posted:

You eventually learn how to draw better when you draw everyday.

Unless your name is Tim Buckley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Tim Buckley uses tons of cheap shortcuts.

He released a promotional video of himself creating some Christmas-themed image for his webcomic and when it came time to do the facial expressions he just opened a doc with every possible expression he could need ready-made and copy-pasted the ones he wanted.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Bad Seafood posted:

Tim Buckley uses tons of cheap shortcuts.

He released a promotional video of himself creating some Christmas-themed image for his webcomic and when it came time to do the facial expressions he just opened a doc with every possible expression he could need ready-made and copy-pasted the ones he wanted.

And that's why he never got better. If I had to hazard a guess.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Binary Badger posted:

Unless your name is Tim Buckley

Or Michael "Mookie" Terracciano, in which case your art gets worse after more than a decade of drawing every day.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Why are yall talking about webcomics?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
ONE is a webcomic.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
American webcomics.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Honestly I really did not expect the anime to be good at all so to see it actually be amazingly animated has been a very pleasant surprise.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Genos is like that D&D player who thinks that any NPC the GM puts there has to do with his character's elaborate backstory.

Also, I hope that "Expositions are boring" does not become this shows recurring joke. That's a terrible joke to recur.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Honestly I really did not expect the anime to be good at all so to see it actually be amazingly animated has been a very pleasant surprise.

OPM is pretty beloved among action animators for obvious reasons and a ton of freelancers are probably dying to animate stuff for it.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Rexides posted:

Also, I hope that "Expositions are boring" does not become this shows recurring joke. That's a terrible joke to recur.
It's a recurring gag in the comic, and the only way the anime could get closer to that is if they had Murata redraw scenes mid-episode.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
The manga itself has more fluid action scenes than many actual animes

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Rexides posted:

Genos is like that D&D player who thinks that any NPC the GM puts there has to do with his character's elaborate backstory.

It's not like cyborgs/androids/robots are that much of a common occurrence, even in-universe, so Genos being suspicious of other mechanoids is kinda natural.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Rexides posted:

Nah he only did that because Armored Gorilla is also a cyborg, he is after all hunting another cyborg

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

"HA HA! I spent every day wishing the OPM anime would be amazing and it is! I am Wishful-Thinker Man and i'm here to make your life better each and every daaaaaay!"

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I love the fact that genus' lab has a rave/blacklight mode for some reason and also that he's a fan of evangelion apparently.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
The cover of this week's Shonen Jump:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

WSJ's OPM release schedule pisses me off. They're like 5 chapters behind, and they just seem to do it whenever.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I can't entirely blame them considering how erratic OPM's schedule is. They probably want to give at least two weeks from the Japanese release in case it's redrawn or has pages added or whatever. Which is a not infrequent occurrence. :v:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Did you notice this about the opening sequence - It's a reference to the disaster levels of the monsters (Tiger, Demon, Dragon, God).

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Keeshhound posted:

One Hundred Push Ups!
One Hundred Sit Ups!
One Hundred Squats!
And then a 10 KM run!
EVERY SINGLE DAY!

:allears:

Oh sweet jesus that was :perfect:

I'm very happy that they're going all-out on drawing Saitama for these dumb scenes :allears:

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart

Say Nothing posted:

Did you notice this about the opening sequence - It's a reference to the disaster levels of the monsters (Tiger, Demon, Dragon, God).

Thought I had realised this from a while back, I still have no idea how to interpret the 'God' picture.

It looks super neat though!

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

raocow posted:

Thought I had realised this from a while back, I still have no idea how to interpret the 'God' picture.

It looks super neat though!

The God one is definitely some kind of bird, maybe a peacock or crane, I always forget what this bird is specifically; you can see the beak and elongated neck where the head is on the other pictures.

edit: got it, probably a phoenix

tlarn fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 20, 2015

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I forgot how powerful was Kabuto, Genos is a mid rank S-class and still couldn't do anything at all against him.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Genos went through a couple upgrades between then and when he was officially ranked, so who can say at this point?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Cthulhuchan posted:

Genos went through a couple upgrades between then and when he was officially ranked, so who can say at this point?

Genos's power is all over the place, especially early on when he's mostly a foil to Saitama before we get a whole host of other heroes to play that role.

That said, I think the House of Evolution legitimately was churning out real threats- since Saitama is so invincible they don't really have to do the shonen "escalating powers" bit so there's no reason not to assume that Asura Rhino/Carnage Kabuto would be a Demon or Dragon level threat. Even Mosquito Girl when all powered up is probably demon level. It's basically impossible to gauge the threat of early antagonists because they only ever fight newbie Genos and Saitama, with maybe some token law enforcement thrown in. The anime added in a couple heroes defeated by Vaccineman to try to show he's strong, but generally all the early monsters don't fight anything that's necessarily capable of even stopping a Tiger level threat. Then Saitama shows up and effortlessly wipes out anything sub-God without even noticing. It's probably not on purpose, but it does have a nice effect of setting the viewer up with Saitama's perspective- all the monsters he fights are equally powerful i.e. not at all until the Hero's Association shows up with a) a ranking system and b) a bunch of human yardsticks to measure monsters against.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Turin Turambar posted:

I forgot how powerful was Kabuto, Genos is a mid rank S-class and still couldn't do anything at all against him.

Pretty sure both Vaccineman and Asura Kabuto were mentioned as dragon level threats in one of the info books. It's all the same to Saitama though so we never notice :v:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah the giant guy(and possibly mosquito lady when she's drank a ton of blood) might be Dragon too. I think the only one so far that could be God level is Boros.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

why dragon gotta be stronger than demon? seems kinda arbitrary. maybe it's just me but i'd imagine a demon would be scarier/stronger.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

mabels big day posted:

why dragon gotta be stronger than demon? seems kinda arbitrary. maybe it's just me but i'd imagine a demon would be scarier/stronger.

Japanese standards. These aren't Satan-style demons, but things like ogres and oni and whatnot, compared to massive eastern dragons.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

I like that God is, as always, the ultimate evil(tm).

nokiddin
Apr 29, 2008

Bernardo Orel posted:

I like that God is, as always, the ultimate evil(tm).

I think it's meant to imply how strong they are, not how evil.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I think it should have been Tiger -> Ogre -> Dragon -> Deity

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Rexides posted:

I think it should have been Tiger -> Ogre -> Dragon -> Deity

Can you elaborate why? An Ogre (Oni) is a variety of demon in Japan, and "deity" is just a synonym for "god".

Is this one of those things where Christians co-opted the word "god" for their deity's name, and get pissy about it, or is it one of those things like screaming "FRICK" at the top of your lungs and acting like it doesn't have the exact same intent and meaning as screaming "gently caress"

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Largecat -> Hobgoblin -> Biglizard -> Strongghost

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

Can you elaborate why? An Ogre (Oni) is a variety of demon in Japan, and "deity" is just a synonym for "god".

Is this one of those things where Christians co-opted the word "god" for their deity's name, and get pissy about it, or is it one of those things like screaming "FRICK" at the top of your lungs and acting like it doesn't have the exact same intent and meaning as screaming "gently caress"

:shrug: Dunno, just sounds better to me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kotetsu - Mephisto - Smaug - YHVH

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

AnonSpore posted:

Largecat -> Hobgoblin -> Biglizard -> Strongghost

Wanna make a bara haunted house attraction called "Strong Ghost Cafe"

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Strong -> Stronger -> Strongest -> Strongester

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

deadly_pudding posted:

A little of "A" and a little of "B," I guess?

Christian appropriation of those terms has had an effect on their perception in several western countries to the point where a proper translation should probably take them into account. Usually the distinction is indicated by the use of a capital-G "God," for the Abrahamic deity and lower-case g "god," for other divine entities. Similarly, "Demon" tends to be understood as referencing the malevolent entities who either torment sinners in the afterlife or actively tempt humans to sin, rather than just being a host of mythological entities of varying supernatural power and behaviors.