Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Praetorian Mage posted:

I can't help you with tracking the problem down, but I do know a trick that might help: Go to an interior cell, type "pcb" in the console, and wait a few days.

Thanks, but that was among the many many things i've tried already. It's dead jim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Manic X posted:

I know this is specifically Skyrim, but I couldn't find a thread for Oblivion. So is anyone here knowledgable about the Oblivion Construction Set. I would like to create custom summons spells (IE Summon Minotaur), but I have no idea how to do it.

Unfortunately, it's not as simple as it is in Skyrim, because the summons are hardcoded.

If you really want to do this right, download the Oblivion Construction Set Extender, and the Oblivion Magic Extender, then load the Construction Set using the OBSE loader (I believe it's something like "obse_loader.exe -editor"

This will let you create new summons without going the easily-broken scripted summon route.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
Thanks, will look into this!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
How hard is it to add an extra door to an area? My guy is currently squatting with the good Capt. Metilius in Castle Dour Tower (I think Cutting Room Floor added him back in and gave him these sweet digs) but I hate having to traipse through the general's bedroom to get home. I'd really like to add some sort of exterior access, either up to the balcony where the second door to that area is, or just straight into it -- like a duplicate of the inside door, only outside somewhere. I was kinda hoping I could maybe grab and copy the door with Jaxonz Positioner and stick a copy somewhere else and not have to do any actual modding; I've moved doors around with it when some buildings got hosed due to mod conflict in past saves, but wasn't sure if moving one to the extent I want would work or just break things.

I couldn't decide on a player house this time around so I think I'm going to try squatting for the whole game on this character, just set up nests in various places and move on when I get bored with one. I thought this was going to be a great spot because I also recruited Metilius as a follower so it made sense to crash with him, but didn't think about having to listen to Rikke and Tullius griping at each other every time I go in and out and it's driving me insane.

edit: I can move the door around within the cell without breaking it but can't like, carry it outside or anything. Doing it properly looks like more work than I feel like investing in this right now since I'd have to learn how to operate the CK and also probably buy a mouse, oh well.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 21, 2015

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Everything Burrito posted:

I couldn't decide on a player house this time around so I think I'm going to try squatting for the whole game on this character, just set up nests in various places and move on when I get bored with one. I thought this was going to be a great spot because I also recruited Metilius as a follower so it made sense to crash with him, but didn't think about having to listen to Rikke and Tullius griping at each other every time I go in and out and it's driving me insane.
I can't help but read this as Metilius being a college friend and Rikke and Tullius being his passive-aggressive miserable parents :allears:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
It kinda feels that way right now, you'd think a grown-rear end man would live somewhere he didn't have to access through his dad's bedroom but welp

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

Agents are GO! posted:

Unfortunately, it's not as simple as it is in Skyrim, because the summons are hardcoded.

If you really want to do this right, download the Oblivion Construction Set Extender, and the Oblivion Magic Extender, then load the Construction Set using the OBSE loader (I believe it's something like "obse_loader.exe -editor"

This will let you create new summons without going the easily-broken scripted summon route.

Ok, so with this I managed to create a custom summon spell and have added it to a vendors spell list. But despite checking his inventory and even waiting for it to reset. he still isn't offering to sell the spell. Any ideas?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

sticklefifer posted:

I was keeping track of Skywind so much I had no idea they had finished a working version of Morroblivion. Has anyone tried it and is it worth playing? Or should I not bother and wait for Skywind?
I tried it out and I'd say wait for Skywind. The Oblivion engine just does not play well with more modern computers and I had multiple crashes just trying to get around the island.

Even if you can get the game running at a decent clip and without crashing, it's easy to forget that the actual mechanics of Oblivion are really bad. Weapon hits rarely feel like they're connecting either way, so you can lose most of your health and not even realize it unless you're looking at your health bar. Arrows fall out of the air like they're made of dark matter, you can't shield bash or really stagger opponents, and the game is prone to random failures of gravity if you come off a steep hill too fast.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Manic X posted:

Ok, so with this I managed to create a custom summon spell and have added it to a vendors spell list. But despite checking his inventory and even waiting for it to reset. he still isn't offering to sell the spell. Any ideas?

Could you not give yourself the spell with the console?

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Could you not give yourself the spell with the console?

It was the first thing I thought of. The problem is, the form ID changes depending on your load order, so the one in the editor didn't work. In the end I had to add it to a dialogue script, whereby triggering a line of dialogue gives it to me. Not ideal, but it's the only way I can think of.

You know what's crazy? Not me.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Manic X posted:

It was the first thing I thought of. The problem is, the form ID changes depending on your load order, so the one in the editor didn't work. In the end I had to add it to a dialogue script, whereby triggering a line of dialogue gives it to me. Not ideal, but it's the only way I can think of.
The only bit of the ID that changes are the first two digits. And those two are simple the plugin's position in your loadorder in hexadecimal, starting with 00. If you're really unsure, you can always have TES5Edit process your loadorder, then open up your plugin and see what the spell's ID is. Or try to find it ingame by opening up the console and using help "<spell's name>".

Also if you want help troubleshooting why your spell wont show up at your vendor, try posting exactly what you tried to do and maybe someone here will have an idea.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Woolie Wool posted:

The old dragon vs. wyvern argument. Congratulations, in a thread packed full of anal-retentive arguments you have just outdone us all. :patriot:

It's not just a matter of semantics for me. When dragons have four legs, their front legs double as arms, and their front claws double as hands. This gives them the ability to do stuff like build, write, etc., which makes them seem more like intelligent beings. It would also improve gameplay by giving dragons more stuff they could do in combat, like claw attacks.

Plus, it makes them able to strike poses like this: http://orig06.deviantart.net/e26e/f/2010/017/f/a/dragon_of_the_first_age_by_rubendevela.jpg

Flagrant Abuse posted:

True dragons are big snakes with four legs and a moustache. :colbert:

I'm guessing this is how dragons usually look in Eastern cultures? That's cool if you prefer that. I just like Western stuff better.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Praetorian Mage posted:

It's not just a matter of semantics for me.
that's unfortunate

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

Raygereio posted:

The only bit of the ID that changes are the first two digits. And those two are simple the plugin's position in your loadorder in hexadecimal, starting with 00. If you're really unsure, you can always have TES5Edit process your loadorder, then open up your plugin and see what the spell's ID is. Or try to find it ingame by opening up the console and using help "<spell's name>".

I know that it is hexadecimal. The problem is even after finding out what the first 2 digits should be, it still didn't work.

quote:

Also if you want help troubleshooting why your spell wont show up at your vendor, try posting exactly what you tried to do and maybe someone here will have an idea.

I only get this problem with spells that I create to have custom script effects. All standard custom spells show up immediately. The only way I have gotten a custom script spell in the game (without it being the result of reading a book, or a piece of dialogue), was setting it to PC Start, but that requires a new game for it to show.

So I made the custom script spell. Went to actors. Put it into Edgar's Spells tally (he is a spell-vendor). I then went to him and it it doesn't show in his list of spells to sell. I even tried waiting a few days to see if I had to wait for a reset and still no luck. Since the process of putting a scripted spell inside a vendor's list is the exact same as any other spell, there really should be no reason why it isn't showing up.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Praetorian Mage posted:

When dragons have four legs, their front legs double as arms, and their front claws double as hands. This gives them the ability to do stuff like build, write, etc., which makes them seem more like intelligent beings.
:psyduck: You do realize that's an incredibly niche portrayal of dragons, right? Like even when they're designed with arms, the classic image of a dragon doesn't really include dragon architects or dragon scriveners or dragon grocers. We're not talking Elves here. Even when dragons are portrayed as being capable of speech and advanced thought, it's usually a support mechanism for their greed and avarice. I think your "true dragon" is more of a personal preference than an argument.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
This is it. The worst Skyrim Modding thread argument since paid mods.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Also just by looking at the dragons in-game you can tell that they can use their claws like hands and the game outright tells you that they write by scratching into stone with their claws, which is why their writing looks the way it does. As for building things, they just made the Nords do it for them (again, the game tells you this. Did you pay any attention to the conversations with and about the Greybeards/Paarthurnax or read the plaques on the slopes of the mountain? Or even the loading screens that state outright that all the dragon monuments were built by the ancient Nords under the supervision of Dragon Priests?). The dragons sat around while the humans did all the work.

No, what I find ridiculous is that dragons write in the Latin alphabet. Seriously, Bethesda? You could have done any writing system imaginable and you just applied new glyphs to the Latin alphabet? :psyduck:

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 21, 2015

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

breaks my lore immersion right in half it does

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

This conversation is lovely. Move on to literally anything else.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Is it better to run merged patch after ASIS and Patchus Maximus? I've previously used bashed --> merged --> Patchus --> ASIS and loaded them in that order. Am I really supposed to use Patchus --> ASIS --> bashed --> merged? Why is the correct order for proccers, merged, and bashed patches not in the OP?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Woolie Wool posted:

Is it better to run merged patch after ASIS and Patchus Maximus? I've previously used bashed --> merged --> Patchus --> ASIS and loaded them in that order. Am I really supposed to use Patchus --> ASIS --> bashed --> merged? Why is the correct order for proccers, merged, and bashed patches not in the OP?

There really isn't an agreed correct order. My recomended order is Bashed, Merged, Patchus, Lootification, Automatic Variants, ASIS.

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009
Okay, so Duel is right out then. Would there be a recommendation between Ultimate Combat or Deadly Combat then, and if either/both play well with additional spawns and such? Also, still looking for Dragon mod recommendations, or should I just go back with Deadly Dragons? How is Ultimate Dragons or Elemental Dragons?

Sorry for all the questions, I know I probably should just try 'em for myself, but stuck at work and no time for games 'til the weekend, just wanted a good idea of where to start.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

I'd love some form of mod that adds an encounter for a world-cracking thing as big as Ancalagon the Black. For size reference, the tiny dragons in the right side foreground are about the size of Smaug.

I don't know how the hell the Dragonborn would fight it, but it'd be cool to have something just show up and blot out the horizon.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I always saw the Silmarillion as a mythic story like a Bible for elves, there are things in it that are just too outlandish to take any other way.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Woolie Wool posted:

I always saw the Silmarillion as a mythic story like a Bible for elves, there are things in it that are just too outlandish to take any other way.
On the other hand, a dragon the size of Manhattan is :black101: as hell.

(Just for reference: the in-game Skyrim map is approximately half the size of Manhattan.)

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.

BattleCattle posted:

This conversation is lovely. Move on to literally anything else.

I'm sorry BattleCattle. I really am.

Praetorian Mage posted:

It's not just a matter of semantics for me.

Its a matter of biology, in that you need muscle attachment points for those great big clonking wings in order to get this thing off the ground. As long as games are moving towards more realistic things, you will see this more and more. Animators have to study the biology of living animals for comparison so things look realistic and not doofy, and as it turns out, studying that reveals one thing about the 'traditional' dragon: It doesn't work when you move it outside of pretty pictures and try to put it in a 'realistic' setting. A dragon is a purpose-made thing for looking hilariously doofy when put into a game the wrong way, and the wings are probably to blame.

So therefore in order to have a realistic dragon, you either need one of the following (Note this is avoided in a more cartoony depiction due to not needing to worry about realism):

1: A massive hump-back for all the muscle attachment points needed to get this thing off the ground and look realistic
2: Tiny tiny forelimbs, like T-Rex. And even that's stretching it (T-Rex had really powerful, but tiny, forelimbs)
3: Just use the wings as forelimbs, which matches with Oblivion and how Akatosh appeared there

Anywho, I'm sorry. Back to trying to figure out why I'm CTDing whenever I enter Whiterun

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Sporkie posted:

Okay, so Duel is right out then. Would there be a recommendation between Ultimate Combat or Deadly Combat then, and if either/both play well with additional spawns and such? Also, still looking for Dragon mod recommendations, or should I just go back with Deadly Dragons? How is Ultimate Dragons or Elemental Dragons?

Sorry for all the questions, I know I probably should just try 'em for myself, but stuck at work and no time for games 'til the weekend, just wanted a good idea of where to start.

Honestly. Don't bother.

You have to keep two things in mind.

1. The combat is going to be poo poo no matter what. The engine wasn't designed to be an action game. It was designed to be a numbers driven RPG. The reason we all think the gameplay is poo poo is because of number 2.

2. Even if you could get a substantial combat overhaul working in a meaningful way, Bethesda's encounter design philosophy basically boils down to Level = more health and more damage. That's it. Outside of Trolls and their health regen, there are very few NPCs with interesting mechanics.

I recommend working in the opposite direction. Try making the combat as simple as possible. That is, making the gameplay even LESS skillful.
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/33791/
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/68821/
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/58728/

These actually work out pretty good. The floating health bars are ugly as sin, but gently caress, and I mean gently caress vanilla Skyrim health bars. Anyway, the result lets you stay focused on the situation and play as more of a tactician. Resource management, positioning, become the important skills, not tight frame timing. just remember to set the lock-on Camera Speed to 400ms to less.

Then grab SkyTweak and just fiddle with things to try and make a slightly more compelling numbers game that happens to play out in realtime.

No matter how you slice it, there are problems that are fundamental. Best option is to just look beyond the combat and try to play in ways that doesn't make combat a central component of your playstyle. Get 'Real Estate', 'Market Stall', and do some trading. Run Extensible Follower Framework for the party hud, and roll support while your NPCs clear dungeons for you. Pay for more hirelings to run your market stall. It's all shallow as gently caress, but Skyrim is a shallow game. So roll with it, and install Legacy of the Dragonborn and turn it into a collect-o-thon, getting everything, seeing everything, enjoy everything, in all of it's shallow glory.

If you REALLY gotta have a combat mod, then I guess grab Ultimate Combat. It does more for NPC behavior, so the result is a bit more smoke and mirrors, but NPCs that don't behave like lemmings is nice.

As for dragons, just forget it. The only option I would even consider is Deadly Dragons, and disabling all of the optional poo poo. Only using it for the additional dragon types. Anything else basically turns dragon fights into the most infuriating bullshit encounters as paralysis or unrelenting force have you ragdolling for days. Just consider dragon's pinatas that are both unimpressive and boring because you're dragonborn and you're supposed to be the bane of dragons or something.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 21, 2015

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
This must have been asked 100's of times already...what exactly do I need to change in the uncapper .ini file to stop getting 1 perk every level, and change it to 1 point every 2?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Comstar posted:

This must have been asked 100's of times already...what exactly do I need to change in the uncapper .ini file to stop getting 1 perk every level, and change it to 1 point every 2?

I'm assuming you know where to put it because the ini has solid extensive internal documentation. Put a value of 0.5.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Mecheon posted:

Anywho, I'm sorry. Back to trying to figure out why I'm CTDing whenever I enter Whiterun

It's because the magic script dragon who is sorting out your load order doesn't have any proper arms to write with. Obviously.

Comstar posted:

From SPERG's ini:

code:
[PerksAtLevelUp]
;Set the number of perks gained at each level up. If a specific level is not
;specified then the closest lower level setting is used.  Default game value
;is one perk per level (you can also use float as value, for example 1.25 per
;points per level) Level (2..10000) = Perks (0..255)
;
;In the following inactive commented example the player will gain 1 perk per
;level at and from level 2 to 9, then 2 perks per level at and from level 10
;to 29, then 4 perks per level at and from level 30 to 94, then no perk at
;all per level for level 95 and above
;
;2=1
;10=2
;30=4
;95=0
2=1
3=0.5

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sporkie posted:

I enjoy Deadly Combat + Ultimate Dragons

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Is there a good way that I'm missing to remove a temporary magic effect? Playing with SPERG and sometimes I find myself having to wait around for my ~5min water-breathing-enabled water walking to wear off before I can hop back into the water to swim. I tried toggling clipping, but that doesn't seem to work sometimes. I tried using the Apocalypse Magic 'Dispel' to remove it but that didn't work either. I know there is probably some esoteric console code to remove it, but there looked to be quite a few entries for 'water breathing' effects and spells and I didn't want to permanently remove the spell, just dispel the effect. Do I have to just wait one in-game hour or something?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Dragonheart had a neat dragon.

Skyrim also has neat dragons.

If it flies, has a breath weapon, and people tell me it's a fuckin' dragon, I'm gonna believe that it's a fuckin' dragon. Actually, it doesn't even need those things, because here's a real fuckin' dragon:

Now quit mewling about "dragon biology" like it actually fuckin' matters.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What's the consensus on those HDT Physics extenders? Are they resource hogs?

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

graynull posted:

Is there a good way that I'm missing to remove a temporary magic effect? Playing with SPERG and sometimes I find myself having to wait around for my ~5min water-breathing-enabled water walking to wear off before I can hop back into the water to swim. I tried toggling clipping, but that doesn't seem to work sometimes. I tried using the Apocalypse Magic 'Dispel' to remove it but that didn't work either. I know there is probably some esoteric console code to remove it, but there looked to be quite a few entries for 'water breathing' effects and spells and I didn't want to permanently remove the spell, just dispel the effect. Do I have to just wait one in-game hour or something?

I'll use...
player.dispelallspells 1
This will dispel everything though... Summoned creatures, mage armor, candlelight, shrine buffs, etc.
It doesn't affect standing stones at least.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
In my latest playthrough I'm trying out Deadly Combat and Ultimate Combat together and so far it has made every fight short and lethal. Is Combat Evolved the one that makes Dragon Priests and mages way overpowered to the point of frustration? It's been a year so I can't remember which of those three does.

FadedReality fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 21, 2015

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

FadedReality posted:

In my latest playthrough I'm trying out Deadly Combat and Ultimate Combat together and so far it has made every fight short and lethal. Is Combat Evolve the one that makes Dragon Priests and mages way overpowered to the point of frustration? It's been a year so I can't remember which of those three does.

I believe this is correct.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

FadedReality posted:

In my latest playthrough I'm trying out Deadly Combat and Ultimate Combat together and so far it has made every fight short and lethal. Is Combat Evolved the one that makes Dragon Priests and mages way overpowered to the point of frustration? It's been a year so I can't remember which of those three does.

I don't think Combat Evolved messes with any stats, just the AI settings and spells. Ultimate Combat does include a health multiplier for a few different enemies, including Dragon Priests, and by default it sets their health to like 3x vanilla for some crazy reason, but you can turn it down if you like. I run both mods and have been having some good fights.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I pretty much can't stand anything that makes a game more difficult by just making enemies take longer to kill. It doesn't increase difficulty except in as much as you have more opportunities to fail and start all over again. Making the player more fragile has its own problems but I would rather be paranoid and have to learn from mistakes quickly than have to learn and then repeat the winning start perfectly for like an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Phetz posted:

I don't think Combat Evolved messes with any stats, just the AI settings and spells. Ultimate Combat does include a health multiplier for a few different enemies, including Dragon Priests, and by default it sets their health to like 3x vanilla for some crazy reason, but you can turn it down if you like. I run both mods and have been having some good fights.

Does it make said spells hit like a truck? Because that was the problem I was having last time I played. Melee and ranged projectile fights were just fine but add in a mage and it was two hits and I'm dead almost every fight.

GunnerJ posted:

I pretty much can't stand anything that makes a game more difficult by just making enemies take longer to kill. It doesn't increase difficulty except in as much as you have more opportunities to fail and start all over again. Making the player more fragile has its own problems but I would rather be paranoid and have to learn from mistakes quickly than have to learn and then repeat the winning start perfectly for like an hour.

Same here. Standing there hacking away at each enemy for a full minute while eating potions and food isn't difficult, it's tedious. I want it to feel like we're trying to hit each other with huge swords and axes, not LARPing.

• Locked thread